AJ Hubbard & Sons

Founded 1968 • With Angi since April 2003

315 Salem St

Medford, MA 02155

We area a family owned business, we currently do not use sub contractors. we do not charge for estimates, unless they are for an insurance quote. a family member always waits on you so there is no high pressure sales. we have an 8600 s.f. building. we carry carpets by shaw, gulistan, beaulieu,

Diana S.
07/23/2016
Fantastic. I have a 2 year old and 4 year old. AJ Hubbard and Sons is very family friendly. They were great with the kids in the showroom (my kids loved their childrens play area) and great with them when they came to install answering the 4 year olds questions with a smile. They made every aspect from picking the carpet, getting the quote and installing easy. They completely understood my carpet needs (low to no vocs) as my kids play on this carpet and even aired it out before install. I had looked a two other places first, one didn't know what a voc was and the other was rude tried to nickel and dime everything and said 15 foot wide carpet doesn't exist. Then I found AJ Hubbard a true gem and they know their stuff. I love my new 15 foot wide low voc carpet and my kids do as well. Everyone at AJ Hubbard is polite, respectful, professional and knows the products. If there happens to be a question about a product they don't know they immediately call and get you the answer. If you are looking for new flooring this is the place to go to.
Description of Work
Replace living room carpet
Gillian S.
03/19/2016
Fantastic. Was like working with good friends and experienced professionals. No pressure, lots of help and ideas. The install was on time and very neat. We almost never hire contractors to do anything because I feel like i could have done better, but i was delighted to see the attention to detail with some of the tile cuts and transitions. I highly reccomend them to anyone.
Description of Work
At their showroom, they spent a lot of time with us to find the right carpets and floor coverings. Excellent ideas, very helpful with no pressure, fantastic people. We had a mix of carpets and tile put down. lot of custom work. On the agreed upon date, they showed up and did a great install.
carpet installation, flooring contractor

[Removed Member Name] , thank you for your review. It was a pleasure working with you.
Erick C.
09/23/2014
- Easy to find, Route 93 / Rt. 60 in Medford (heading towards Malden), free parking off the street. - Great selection of rugs, with many sizes and colors available in stock, and plenty more available for delivery from local distributor. - Friendly family run business with, fast binding service, and delivery available. - A great experience from start to finish, and we where glad to avoid the 'big box store' and 'crowded shopping centers'. I'll also mention the wide selection of Patriots, Celtics and other sports themed 'area rugs' for game day.
Description of Work
Sold two rugs, with binding.
Diane L. M.
04/21/2014
The Hubbards are great. They answered all of our questions and let us take home samples to check out the colors. The job was done as promised and on time. The estimate we received was exactly what we paid. We are planning to do the upstairs soon and we will definitly have the Hubbards do the work.
Description of Work
We had a new living room and front hall carpet installed.
Paul M.
04/09/2014
Job was done exceptionally well with a lot of tight corners and edges to handle. Waste carpet was minimal. A few stairs had loosening runner and Bud and his crew came back within a day to re-attach.
Description of Work
Installed wall-to-wall carpet in upstairs. Installed runner on hardwood staircase and landing.
carpet installation, flooring contractor, hardwood floor
Paula L.
04/01/2014
It went perfect. Showed up on time. Did an excellent job. Cleaned up all the mess, including vac'ing. Couldn't be more satisfied.
Description of Work
Installed carpet in a basement room.
Adam L.
02/18/2014
We came to them needing some work done on a deadline. They expressed that they could try but no promises due to other commitments, and ended up beating their own timeline. The work looked good, and at no point did they try to upsell. Great service.
Description of Work
Installed carpet in 3 rooms and a new tile floor in kitchen.
Rudolph T.
10/23/2013
They did a really nice job and I was very happy with their service. However, they are pretty busy and you should prepared to be a little flexible with the scheduling.
Description of Work
I have used AJ Hubbard & Sons. They removed carpeting on the stairs in the upper hall and then replaced the upper hall carpets wall to wall.
Elaine G.
09/30/2013
They came on time, moved the fridge, secured the loose tiles, filled in the cracks, applied a leveling filler, applied a coat of glue, laid down the new floor, fitted it so that there were no gaps or crooked fitting cuts. They installed the new baseboards, touched up the paint where new cuts were made. They cleaned up, you would never know they were there. They cut the wood outside behind their truck and there was no sign that anything had been constructed or done in the driveway when they left. They replaced all kitchen furnishings very carefully when the floor was done. It was a pleasure to watch them work and have them working to make my kitchen floor new again. They came back 2 days later (on my request) to clean the wall to wall rugs. Which was done carefully and well done.
Description of Work
Installed new kitchen floor, new baseboards, after securing the old floor, leveling it etc.
Mary B.
06/28/2013
I got them for my daughter. It looks like wood, but it's not wood. It looks very nice. They did a good job. They were very good, no problems at all. They came on time and all that there was not mess to clean or anything like that. It was very good. I would definitely use them again. A matter of fact some years ago I used them myself. I used them on my stairs and it's worked out great.
Description of Work
AJ Hubbard & Sons installed a bedroom floor covering. They did a closet too with remnants which worked out fine.
Kathleen S.
05/06/2013
Great job, great company. We'd definitely recommend them!
Description of Work
The company is family-owned & operated. We originally found them on Angie's List and had them replace tile floors in 3 bathrooms and a hallway in September 2012. it was a great experience, so we called them again when we wanted to replace the carpeting in the upstairs hallway with hardwood. We visited the showroom & the owners, a husband & wife, were friendly & very helpful in choosing just the flooring we wanted. They do a great job, they're friendly, professional & knowledgeable. We'll be calling them again when we're ready to replace bedroom carpeting.
Carolyn W.
03/15/2013
Over all we were very happy and they were great to work with.
Description of Work
We had our basement remodeled and needed carpeting and tile. The couple who run Hubbard and Sons were very nice people. All summer long they let me borrow samples and take them home to see how they would look in the basement. They came out when they said they were going to take measurements and came out again to remeasure when we changed our minds and decided to add tile too. They were super helpful and extremely patient with helping me choose the carpet and tile. The only problem we had was that it took a long time for them to come out and put the carpet/tile in but that was partially our fault too. When they had the time to do it at the end of the summer, we weren't ready and when we finally made a decision (which took forever, hence their amazing patience) then they weren't able to put the carpet/tile in. So I figured it was my turn to be patient but all in all it worked out and it was finished before Christmas. They did a beautiful job and we get tons of compliments on it. They are very professional and pick up after themselves. They were great to work with.
Jane K.
03/02/2013
I went to the store to look at carpet samples. They were very helpful. They asked what I was interested in, my price range, and how I would be using these rooms. I didn't really know what I wanted, so they showed me a variety of carpets in a variety of price ranges. They allowed me to take several samples home to see them in the rooms. When I went to purchase the carpet I wanted, they helped me pick out an appropriate padding and the appropriate grade. I was going to go for a higher price grade and they actually steered me towards the middle price range, saying it would be more appropriate for what I was looking for. They came within a few days to measure my rooms and then ordered the carpet. They were very upfront with how long it would take for the carpet to come and when their availability would be to install it. When they came to install the carpet, they came right on time, and were very professional in all their work. They took the old carpet away and swept and vacuumed before they left. They even sent me a thank note a few days later. I am very happy with my new carpet. I love the color and it is so much softer than the old carpet. I would definitely use them again and recommend them.
Description of Work
I was replacing the carpeting in my two bedrooms and a connecting hallway. I recently moved into my condo and the carpet in these rooms was worn and inexpensive.
Mark P.
01/21/2013
The Hubbards were terrific. From the second we walked into their showroom to the completion of the work we were very satisfied. Price was fair. Service was excellent. No complaints whatsoever.
Description of Work
We replaced a moldy, rotten old wall-to-wall carpet with a brand new one.
DORIS C.
10/08/2012
They were wonderful to work with. They were very professional and did great job!
Description of Work
They retiled our basement floor.
gerald P.
08/24/2012
They were excellent, they were very accommodating, & I would recommend them to anyone.
Description of Work
They did wall to wall carpet in my home.
Melissa K.
08/03/2012
They consulted with me a lot on which floors to use and helped me come up with a solution. They spent a lot of time with me and I was able to bring samples home. They did a great job and came on the day they were supposed to. They were very reliable throughout the process.
Description of Work
AJ Hubbard & Sons for flooring installed basement flooring for us.
Elaine C.
06/13/2012
They were very complete. They were able to do the floor in one day. They were excellent. The price was reasonable. They were punctual and arrived right on the button. They even followed through with a phone call to see how everything was. I would use this provider again.
Description of Work
Arthur J. Hubbard & Sons just completed installing my floor.
Vanita S.
11/08/2011
They did an excellent job and cleaned up well after themselves. The carpet they recomended looks great and will work well in a common hallway that has heavy traffic. Would definitely use them again.
Description of Work
Replaced carpets on common hallway staircases. Ripped out and disposed the old carpets. Installed front and back staircases going from 1st to 2nd floor.
carpet cleaners, carpet installation
Maureen L.
08/29/2011
I had been putting off doing this project for years for many reasons but mostly finding a reliable and fair contractor. I decided to join Angie's list for my search. Companies that did not have reviews I did not even consider. I came upon Hubbard & Sons. After reading the reviews I gave them a call. Well, the reviews were "dead on". The owners, Bud & Shirley, were great to work with. I must have been at their store for 2 hours trying to decide on colors, flooring, etc. and never felt rushed. If anything I was encouraged to keep looking. They sent me home with samples and told me to take my time and I did. Finally made decisions and scheduled the project. Bud estimated 3 to 4 days. Bud and his crew arrived Monday precisely at 9:00 AM and the same every day for the next 3 days. Job was completed on 4 day. Had a couple of things that I needed corrected and Bud responded in a timely fashion with no hassle. I will be recommending Hubbard & Sons whenever I can. It was a pleasure.
Description of Work
1200 sq ft - removal of existing carpet throughout space and installation of hardwood flooring and recarpeting.
carpet installation, flooring contractor, hardwood floor
Geoffrey F.
07/30/2011
The whole project was a pleasant experience. My daughter was choosing carpet for her bedroom, and the two people in the store (I believe they were the owners) were very helpful and patient as she sorted through her needs. We were allowed to bring home three samples to check against the actual wall colors, and given the cost estimate for each choice. The installers came on schedule, and quickly and efficiently did their job. We are very pleased with the end result.
Description of Work
Installed wall-to-wall carpeting in a third floor bedroom.
Kathryne R.
04/01/2011
Arthur J. Hubbard & Sons were really excellent and amazing. The owner was involved the entire time. He was there when they were doing work. They are family owned. They were really accommodating and interested in making it great.
Description of Work
Arthur J. Hubbard & Sons came replaced a large area of carpeting.
Edward T.
03/13/2011
Great. This is the third time we have used Hubbard. The first was to install carpet in our basement. The second was to clean and reinstall part of the carpet in the basement after some water damage. This was our third time with them and everything went very well. They let us take home samples of carpet so we could decide which color/pattern we wanted. It was easy to schedule the installation and the new runner looks/feels great. The biggest compliment I can give a vendor is repeat business and I will be happy to use them again. They even sent US a thank you note for our business. When was the last time that happened to you? Great company / family.
Description of Work
We had to replace our stair runner. This required removal of the old runner and installation of the new runner.
Lisa S.
01/06/2011
They are extremely helpful and willing to do most anything to please the customer, they even dropped off some samples to my home for me to choose the color. They do their best to accommodate with date and time for both measure and installation. They came right out to fix a few problems such as cuts and a couple of loose tiles. My only issue is I would not reccommend Dura Ceramic for a bathroom because if there is a large leak or puddle of water on the floor, perhaps when plumbing is installed, for example, the water can get under the tile and the glue gets wet which in turn causes the tiles to raise or loosen. It is a very nice looking floor.
Description of Work
purchase and installation of Dura Ceramic floor tile in bathroom
Seth E.
05/25/2010
They were really good. They were very fast in coming out for an estimate because we had water damage from all the rain. We ended up going with another company that had charged a lot less.
Description of Work
We contacted AJ Hubbard & Sons to get an estimate for new carpeting in our basement.