Boston Standard Plumbing, Heating & Cooling

Founded 2008 • With Angi since January 2010

Boston Standard is your local, expert install & service company for all things plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling. Our team of technicians specialize in matching your family’s needs to the best solutions to provide maximum value and comfort in your home. Our trucks are well-stocked service vehicles that can make plumbing, heating and cooling repairs quickly in order to get you back to enjoying your day. We answer the phone when you call, keep your home clean and warranty our work- and on top of that, we are a group of friendly, caring professionals. We are able to assess your home and recommend a new heating or cooling system, replace your old water heater, repair your steam system, assist with your bathroom remodel, upgrading your lighting or clean that slow drain in your bathroom sink. We provide superior quality and customer service to all customers, no matter how large or small the job may seem. We are a Trane Comfort Specialist and proud to install Trane heating & cooling systems Our service charge is $99 to respond to a call, and our pricing is done upfront, by the job. Please call for more details....

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
Se Habla EspañolSe Habla Español

4.1

plumbers (331)HVAC Companies (125)water heaters (50)drain cleaning (35)air duct cleaning (7)home remodeling (6)well & water pump repair (6)electrician (6)water softeners (4)gas leak repair (1)fireplace services (1)large appliances (2)

07/08/2022

George S.

Due to my experience, I do not recommend Boston Standard Company (BSC) and would avoid using their services. I have a universal refrigeration technician certification with an engineering degree and work in a similar field (licensed professional engineer in MA). I called BSC in May 2022 to service my parent in-law's property in South Boston due to the upcoming heat wave. In my initial phone call with BSC I stated a few variables to why the HVAC was not properly delivering cool air (there is a small leak present in the system and I knew the refrigerant was low because it was last recharged 3-years prior). The system was also short cycling so I requested that the technician look at the HVAC compressor. I transferred photos and information of the major system components (covered and uncovered). The technician arrive 4 days later and on the day of the service (middle of the day, Friday) - I was charged $99 for a service technician to arrive at the property. Fine. I was charged $148.48 for the service technician to perform a diagnostic. The only information the technician was able to tell me was exactly the information I gave in the initial phone screening. He was also unable to find the leak in the system. I upgraded the thermostat on June 25, 2022 (after the service call) and I could clearly see that the thermostat wiring was causing the short cycling for the HVAC compressor (rapid turning on an off). I had the exact same panel exposed (indoors and at the main unit) when the HVAC tech was onsite and I doubt he even looked at the unit because of how obvious it would be to cause the issue(s) I described. The only performed work was a 1.5lb refrigerant recharge on the system for $987... I know because I'm in the industry that the refrigerant itself costs approximately $2 to $4 per pound (even google it). All of the required tools cost $150 brand new. I had the technician go ahead and recharge the system due to the upcoming heat wave (the next day) for my elderly parent in-laws. This is a ludicrous amount to charge customers for any amount of refrigerant to be added. I am under the impression they were charging insane amounts to customers because of the upcoming first real heat wave of 2022. All in all the technician was at my property for somewhere between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. I waited four days for a technician and paid more than $1,234 for services that should have been a fraction of the cost because of an upcoming heat wave. The technician did not find what was causing problems with the system and did the absolute bare minimum to get the system to blow cool air (which will stop working in the next 2-3 years). Due to my experience, I would avoid BSC and find any other company to service/repair/install your system.

Description of Work
HVAC Service

Work Completed On 05/20/2022

Review for Boston Standard Plumbing, Heating & Cooling  - 41 Hollingsworth St, Mattapan, MA - 39794656

11/10/2021

Mary C.

Everything went well. My condo association recommended them and from my first call to when they did the job went great. They were on the pricier side than some other quotes I received, but I don't mind since it was a hassle-free process. They called me 30 minutes before arrival, came on time, assessed the work and gave me a few options to decide what I wanted to do. And once they started they were done in an hour and cleaned up after themselves. I would hire them again.

Description of Work
Replace heat valve and added spigot

Work Completed On 10/27/2021

Thank you for the feedback!

03/29/2021

Courtney L.

I moved into my 30+ year old townhouse and wanted to replace the furnace before it quit on me. I called a few places and chose Boston Standard because they were the most responsive, explained my options in the clearest manner, and offered to take care of all rebates and credits for me. I was not disappointed! They team was incredibly polite, they showed up when they said they would, and the pricing was exactly as quoted. The guys even wore shoe covers in my house - an extra step I have never seen another contractor of any sort do. Given the experience I also used them for a water heater replacement and dishwasher install, and they service the furnace for me. Their reliability is fantastic and I appreciate how straightforward the pricing is.

Description of Work
Replace furnace and hot water heater

Work Completed On 12/13/2020

Review for Boston Standard Plumbing, Heating & Cooling  - 41 Hollingsworth St, Mattapan, MA - 39277338

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to assisting you in the future. Kind Regards, Boston Standard

03/29/2021

Carole T.

Boston Standard was amazing. We were so worried with COVID, but they made the entire process incredibly calming and reassuring. They were the most professional company I've ever worked with, from communication to thoroughness of work and cleanliness, I couldn't have been more impressed. I've found my new plumbers.

Description of Work
Our heating went at the same time we had a pipe burst

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

Work Completed On 01/28/2021

Dear [Member Name Removed]- Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we know how busy people are these days. We are pleased to her that you were impressed and look forward to assisting you with your plumbing, heating, cooling and electrical needs in the future. Kind Regards, Boston Standard

03/23/2021

Nancy C.

DO NOT USE THEM**** They are extremely sleazy and you will get objectively bad service and be unknowingly poisoned without being helped by them. I bought a furnace from them and rather than make sure it was on the correct settings as part of the install - within the year - they said they would need to charge me for the visit. It was on a very uncomfortable setting and they said unless they were coming out for the yearly maintenance it would need to be charged. I called a few times about a faint gas leak as well as the discomfort of the settings. I could never get anyone who gave me the right answer as to what was going on with the settings until about a year after purchasing the furnace. I had them come out and not check the install and try to charge me for a different leak. Regrettably there was very likely a low level unburnt fuel leak for the whole time, as before they came out to fix the settings, I had flu like symptoms for the whole year when the heat was on. I also went to the hospital with chest pains, something I had never had before and have no other reason to have. I have CO monitors all over the home but there is no monitor for fuel leak, and I told them I smelled gas near the unit. Rather than check the install they tried to pretend it was something else. This can be caused by a faulty fan installation and I'm guessing the setting of a "very high fan and then short run time", caused the very faint gas smell I also smelled from my heating vents. Who was I going to call to assess this other than them? I called them repeatedly for the gas leak and also the uncomfortable setting. Every time I contacted them there was a huge run around. A couple of times they sent someone who didn’t know what they were doing. I didn't realize the unburnt gas was abnormal until after they fixed the fan setting and I no longer felt nauseated and tired at home. Someone finally came out nearly a year after the install as part of the "yearly maintenance" and still did not follow the directions of the engineer. He explained that I didn't understand. Ok, he left and it was clearly not set up properly. Finally, one of the managers/engineers came out the same night after I told the company off over the phone. Now it is working. Further, every time the managers come they're trying to secure a new sale. And their quote for an add on - which I discussed before realizing what was happening- is 2.5x(!!!) that of other companies. I'm sure I overpaid dearly for my furnace -and my health. AVOID !! I know what you're thinking, how could this happen? Use anyone else is all I can say.

Description of Work
Installation of new furnace, follow up natural gas leak from improper install

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 03/22/2021

06/24/2020

Jason S.

They provided a timely, professional and accurate estimate.

Description of Work
Replace O2 sensor in Rheem tankless water heater and install bypass valve for hot water recirculating loop.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 06/24/2020

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for the review, we appreciate you taking the time! Kind Regards, Boston Standard

06/23/2020

Joan B.

Tim Whalen, our technician, gets five stars for his exemplary service. He worked tirelessly in the heat for many hours to get our AC up and running again. He wouldn’t leave, he said, until he got it right.

Description of Work
Replace components in my AC

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

Work Completed On 06/23/2020

[Member Name Removed]- Thank you for taking the time to provide a thoughtful review of your experience with our team. We hope to continue to earn your business in the future. Stay cool! Boston Standard

06/19/2020

Jeff S.

This company is horrible. It was the worst experience that I have had with any company. The conned my family into a $25,000.00 system that was poorly installed and doesn’t work. Numerous attempts have been made to have them remove the system, but Joe Woods continues to backtrack on his word to do so. I have pictures of their installation that I’d be happy to share with whoever is considering using them. Trust me, you won’t after you see their work.

Description of Work
Heating System

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, appliance sales

Work Completed On 12/11/2019

Dear Bill- We have offered you many resolutions, but you don't seem to want to resolve your inapplicable complaints. We installed exactly what you asked for on a job that another contractor had specked and started, we offered you multiple options and you have chosen to ignore our communications. We are sorry for this and wish we could resolve your complaints.

06/16/2020

lois K.

They were not transparent in quoting- they only gave a flat cost upfront and did not mention anything else. And then later they charged more than 350 dollars.

Description of Work
clearing a bathtub clogged.

Category air duct cleaning, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 06/16/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed], I am sorry to hear that you were not happy, we always provide a price before doing any work so I would love to speak with you and understand what happened and how we can resolve this. We do not have anyone in our customer system with the name [Member Name Removed] We are always working to make our process and customer service better, if you are willing to speak with me I would like to resolve this for you. Please call the office at 617-288-2911 and ask for Laura. Thank you, Laura Wood Boston Standard

06/07/2020

Jamesley D.

The technician came in and figured out what was wrong almost immediately. The wiring connecting our blower to our compressor was disconnected by the electrician doing work on our house and was not connected. He troubleshot the issue and rewired the thermostat to work properly.

Description of Work
Air Conditioner stopped blowing cold air

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 05/29/2020

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with our team. We are pleased that we were able to help you in an efficient manner and get your AC back up and running! Kind Regards, Boston Standard

05/13/2020

David L.

If you need a reliable plumbing, HVAC and electrical company then I highly recommend Boston Standard Company. I have a 5 zone heating system and a 3 zone cooling system, so a lot of moving parts. From setting up my appointment to having Brandon the technician arrive at my home, the process was easy and hassle free. When Brandon arrived , he talked me through everything, including getting me ready for my eventual replacement. I know we all want to hold our systems together with duct tape and prayer, but I know the day is coming where even God himself couldn’t get another year out of my AC. All my options were explained to me up front, and the price was agreed upon to perform the work. Brandon did great work! Yamira in the office was great! Happy I called!

Description of Work
Yearly maintenance for my 5 zone heating system and 3 zone cooling system.

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

Work Completed On 05/13/2020

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our team. We are pleased to hear that everything went well and hope to be able to help you if needed in the future. We also look forward to sharing this in our next team meeting! Kind Regards, Boston Standard

03/03/2020

James R.

Boston Standard has been able and equipped to evaluate and diagnose issues with a complicated heating/cooling system in an old Boston home. Scott prepared and took time to describe work quotes that were easy to understand and included options at various price points. Haley proactively scheduled the work and quickly and professionally responded to questions. Installation specialist, Kyle, was always punctual and took ownership of his high-quality work during both diagnosis and repair. I look forward to working with Boston Standard in the future.

Description of Work
HVAC Duct Upgrades

Work Completed On 03/02/2020

Thank you for your review [Member Name Removed], we really appreciate your feedback!

02/18/2020

Bill S.

We contacted Boston Standard to evaluate and repair the mini-split AC and heating system in our two-family house. Their recommendation was that our system was undersized and that we needed a compressor that was designed for low temperature heating. They recommended upsizing the system with new larger compressors. The first problem was the work quality. They damaged siding on the house, installed the units on sloping, undersized plastic plates, dented the units during installation, tore screens on the house, and damaged the units they removed so we could not resell them. The installed units actually generated less heat than the units they installed. We have since found out that they did not install the low temperature units in our contract and that the way that they installed did not generate any more heat in the house. In fact, we were told that because they were now mis-sized, that they were actually less efficient. When I complained, Joe Wood, the owner, said that he had a good reputation, would stand by his work, and would remove the system and return our money (this was in writing). I accepted this offer and he immediately retracted the offer. I've tried repeatedly to get the company to fix the problems or pull out the system and they don't even take our calls. So much for standing by their work. All this is documented and we have pictures of everything. Avoid this company at all costs. Now, having paid $24K for this system we may have to pay all over again to get it put back to a system that works.

Description of Work
Repair existing mini-split heating and air conditioning

Work Completed On 02/08/2020

Review for Boston Standard Plumbing, Heating & Cooling  - 41 Hollingsworth St, Mattapan, MA - 38394066

[Member Name Removed], We brought the manufacturer to your home last week and the systems we installed are working exactly as they are supposed to be. Our most recent visit to your home found the HVAC unit plugged with construction debris, which we took photos of and cleaned out for free. You blamed us for things we didn't cause, like blown in insulation clogging up the indoor fan. This was caused by Mass Save during their insulation work but you blamed us and we fixed it for free. We have come back multiple times for free to respond to every concern that you have had, but I apologize because I can see we're not going to be able to make you happy- I wish that we could. Regards, Boston Standard Company

02/06/2020

Madeleine J.

My technician Ceasar and his co-worker were very professional and addressed all of my concerns. It was a good experience and I highly recommend them!

Description of Work
Annual precision tune-up for my heating system.

Category plumbing, water heater repair, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 02/06/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for your feedback, it was a pleasure working for you and we hope to earn your business again when you need us! Kind Regards, Boston Standard

11/20/2019

Miguel B.

It took slightly longer than expected, but there was a lot of work. Overall, everything went smoothly. Wilson and Bill were the workers and they did a terrific job under some difficult space and weather circumstances.

Description of Work
Replace Boilers and water heaters (2) in a multi-family house

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 11/19/2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! Best, Boston Standard

11/13/2019

Honi S.

They were very organized and definitely knew what they were doing but it was very expensive.

Description of Work
Replaced a 3 way valve.

Work Completed On 11/11/2019

Hi [Member Name Removed] Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our team. Yes, it is difficult when dealing with Navien repairs and the costs associated with that, but we are glad that we were able to help get your heat & hot water back up the same day! Best, Boston Standard

05/07/2019

Kristofer A.

My gas water heater was leaking and starting to get a bit old... so I needed a replacement. Boston Standard gave me an estimate after emailing them a few photos of my existing setup, and came out to replace it the next morning. Their estimate came in lower than another company I looked at by a fair amount. They also gave me a discount on a scratched water heater they had on hand that another customer rejected. The were prompt, professional, and got the job done quickly. I will absolutely hire them again for my plumbing needs.

Description of Work
Water heater replacement

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 05/07/2019

Thank you for the review! Happy hot water!

04/23/2019

Anthony E.

The team at Boston Standard is great - very customer oriented. They always answer the phone, are polite and actually care about helping to resolve your problems, especially if you have a service plan! My repairman showed up on time and completed work within an hour to rebuilt the inside of my shower. He showed me the broken parts, had me test the shower when done and provided info on the warranty - 3 years! This is my 4th or 5th experience with smaller jobs and i have always been happy. With them you will have the peace of mind that your work will be done on time, with professionalism and a positive attitude by someone who knows what they are doing. If you are very budget conscious and want to spend as little as possible and like to take risks in whether someone may show up to get a deal, then i would not recommend Boston Standard, but if you want solid/reliable service and good work done then i would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Repair Shower & Repair Viessman Tankless Boiler

Work Completed On 04/19/2019

Thank you for your review!

03/07/2019

Alexander G.

From placing my initial phone call to signing the check I was extremely impressed with Joanie, who answered the call and JT and Jose, who replaced my old water heater. It took less than 24 hours to get my new water heater up and running from the moment I called them. Highly professional, efficient, and kind. I would recommend the Boston Standard Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling without reservations.

Description of Work
Old water heater replacement

Category water heater repair

Work Completed On 03/07/2019

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful review, we know people are busy and taking the time to share your experience is appreciated. We hope to help you with any plumbing, heating or cooling issues in the future. Kind Regards, Boston Standard

01/24/2019

Joseph K.

They gave us early appointment the day after our burst/pipe flood. Arrived promptly (after calling to give us precise time of arrival. The team (Brandon and Bill) were impressive from start to finish, figuring the exact price in advance and staying until we were all satisfied that the system was functioning well again. Brandon and Bill were professional, knowledgeable, efficient, and unusually personable and friendly—explaining as they went along and patiently answering our many questions. Bottom line: excellent work, a reasonable price, and two very nice (as well as expert) young men. We have several future projects in mind for Boston Standard. Barbara Cowley and Joe Kerner .

Description of Work
Repair burst heating pipe; drain, refill, and purge water lines, install new thermostat, and made sure the whole system (two zones) was working properly.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

Work Completed On 01/24/2019

01/14/2019

Ruth S.

Had 2 forced hot air systems checked/inspected. One system had a failed pump which the service tech replaced on the spot- also swapped out air filter since I had in hand. Technician was friendly and thorough with job.

Description of Work
Heating system annual maintenance

Work Completed On 01/14/2019

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us, it was a pleasure working for you. Kind Regards, Boston Standard

07/25/2018

Jennifer R.

TJ was friendly and professional and stayed until the issue was resolved. I would recommend using Boston Standard based on my experience with TJ.

Description of Work
My brand new HVAC unit would run but not produce cool air. After having three other HVAC experts out to troubleshoot I finally called Boston Standard. They identified the issue, fixed the problem and stayed until the unit was producing cold air. I wish I had called them sooner before wasting so much time and money on the other vendors who were unable to identify the issue (but still charged me lots of money).