Fontaine Tree Experts Co

Founded 1972 • With Angi since July 2010

34 Andrews Rd

Marlborough, MA 01752

Full service tree company in business since 1972....

05/16/2018

Ann Marie V.

When requesting a written quote and work order, never heard back from them. I followed up twice with no response.

Description of Work
Tree removal and tree maintenance

04/07/2018

Pamela S.

I contacted Paul on Friday, March 12th at 4:00 pm to remove broken branches and limbs, some of which were tangled in cable wires attached to my house. Paul was out straight like many others, but took my info. I called other companies and found one who would remove the tree and branches at one time, but I would have to wait until later the following week. On Monday afternoon I called Paul to let him know I found someone else and unbeknownst to me he had been by my house earlier in the morning. I told him a little of my situation and within 45 minutes he and his crew were at my house removing the downed limbs and branches. I asked how much (less than other guy) to take the tree down, agreed on the price and knew it would be a week or more before he would be back. On the 29th I called Paul to confirm I was still on his list. The following morning his crew was out there taking the tree down and when they were done, they cleaned up the yard.

Description of Work
Remove downed limbs and branches including those tangled in cable wires attached to the house. Return another day to remove the tree

02/19/2016

Holly B.

We've used them for the last two years. Good quality, prompt service.

Description of Work
Cord of seasoned firewood, delivered

12/08/2015

Roshin K.

Description of Work
Cut a small tree and a few shrubs. Very well done.

08/27/2015

Blake N.

My experience was superb and I was extremely happy with work and price. I have used Fontaine twice for tree removal. Both were excellent experiences. The crews are hard working and efficient in their efforts. Each time there was a meeting with representative to identify trees to be removed and identify areas that needed clearing for crane - essentially layout what needed to be and how it would be done and pricing for the work (mostly dependent on size of crane required.) The date for tree removal is scheduled at this time. The crew and equipment arrived on the scheduled day, promptly at 8:00 am and commenced work right away. The worked hard and efficiently throughout the day removing as many trees as could be processed safely. Cleanup left a bit to be desired (tracks in lawn from bobcat, shavings from saws and chipper, etc.), but the amount of professional manual labor and number of trees removed for the price was a great bargain. I also used their services for a 1/2 day a year earlier (2010) with similar experience and 1/2 the cost ($1,600.) Since their largest cost is the cost of the crane, the price their work by the 1/2 day at a fixed fee. Cost of crew is added to the crane cost and they remove as many trees as can be safely processed during the time window. My understanding from second hand source (neighbor received quote for some tree removal this year) is their prices have increased from what I was charged in 2010 and 2011. I found them a great bargain years ago. They may, or may not, be as much of a bargain nowadays.

Description of Work
Crane, chipper, log carrier, bobcat and crew of 6 spent full day taking down as many trees as time allowed (about 25 total) for a flat fee. All felled trees were delimbed and cut into 12 foot lengths. The soft woods they hauled away. The hardwoods were left with me (at my request for firewood.)

08/21/2015

JULIE N.

My husband called Paul - and Paul "put us on the list". When I asked my husband what that meant I got a "I don't know". Thinking that might mean a long wait I was kind of disappointed because I was looking forward to some late summer/fall bonfires. But Paul called us two days later saying they were on the way. The driver put the wood just where I wanted it. Quick and easy!

Description of Work
We bought a cord of wood

08/15/2015

Jill C.

They did good work. Very professional. Efficient crew. They went the extra yard in accommodating us.

Description of Work
Removed two trees.

06/22/2015

Marianne K.

05/21/2015

Maureen B.

Description of Work
I ordered 4 cords of green firewood. He came on time and put it where I wanted. Wood is scarce and getting pricey. This was most I've paid but it's the same everywhere I tried.

02/24/2015

BEVERLY B.

Mr. Fontaine took our call on a stromy night when we heard one of our large pines very near the house begin to crack. He came out the next day, verified that the tree was indeed splitting. Since the tree is a HUGE pine sitting behind our house he said he did not have the equipment to handle such a large tree in that tight place. Just knowing he came out to check on the tree status was so reassuring. It told us that he was great at customer service and we plan to use his service for other jobs. Thanks Angie for your list!!!

Description of Work
He responded quickly to our phone call, checked the tree and said he didn't have the equipment to handle such a large tree. We will definitely use him for other tree jobs.

12/18/2014

James K.

05/07/2014

Candace G.

Description of Work
We had some initial tree pruning and small tree removal performed by them that went quite well. They were very professional, cleaned up well afterwards and the service was good. We tried to use them about 9 months later to remove several large trees requiring a crane, and the service was very different. The communication was poor, and although the work was supposed to start at the end of the summer, it kept getting pushed, with no firm confirmation of the date. Ultimately, when it got to be late fall, we had to cancel the proposed work with them and went with another tree service that went quite well and was able to get the necessary work done before the snow. When we called to cancel, Fontaine did not apologize, or try to make it right, they just said "okay" and hung up. Very surprising given the scope of the planned work

03/10/2014

William B.

all him back two days later on 8/9/2013 to setup a time to do the job. Mr Fontaine told me at that time it would be a couple of weeks before he could do the job and he would call me back to schedule a specific day. I was fine with this. I waited a month and had not heard back from him, so I called and left a message on 9/9/2013. Mr. Fontaine never returned that call, and I called again the following week on 9/16/2013, and got a hold of him. Mr. Fontaine told me that he was booked up and would try to fit in the job the following week. I never heard back from Mr. Fontaine after that and I ended up having the job done by Worcester Tree and Stump who was able to come out and the job during the last week of October 2013.

Description of Work
Contractor came out and gave me an estimate to remove one tree and to trim back several other trees around my property. I was having a few contractors come out for estimates so I did not schedule to have the work done through Fontaine at that time, but I did

12/23/2013

Dawn V.

Great wood delivered within a few hours of calling by a super friendly delivery guy. I will use these guys all the time going forward.

Description of Work
Fast, friendly service!

11/06/2013

WILLIAM S.

Fontaine took several large trees from my property. They were very efficient and clearly took great pains to protect my driveway (as a crane was used), fences and other landscaping. They did a great job and I'll absolutely use them again.

Description of Work
Tree removal using a crane

08/19/2013

DEBORAH E.

Excellent wood, delivered as promised. I would use them again.

Description of Work
Delivered 1 cord of wood.

07/01/2013

Debra H.

Excellent job.

Description of Work
The tree service was prompt in their completion of the work and the clean up was excellent.

05/15/2013

Maureen K.

I had used Fontaine Tree service a few years back to remove a pair of pine trees on the edge of my property, and Paul and his crew have done work around in my neighborhood. Most recently, the beautiful shade tree in my backyard started to show signs of disease on its bark and the smaller limbs started falling off in the slightest the winds. I knew something had to be done so I reached out to Paul (owner, BTW, the one who fields the incoming calls) for advice. He kept an eye on the tree's growth for about a year and worked with me on potential ways to treat the sickly thing in order to save it. Up front, he told me the chances of saving it were 30/70 (not in the tree's favor) so although I wasn't terribly optimistic but gave it a shot. After the beating the tree took over this past winter, it had to come down. (The shade the tree provided in the summer time kept the back of the house nice and cool so this was not a decision I made lightly.) Paul and his team showed up on the day scheduled and went straight to work. The safety pulleys were put in place, chainsaws started buzzing, and I could hear an occasional 'thump' when the larger limbs fell to the ground. They used a bobcat to load the stumps and tree debris into the back of the truck, and left a few smaller pieces (at my request) in a neat pile over by the shed. On the second day, a smaller team arrived to grind the stump. When the job was complete, I was happy to see that aside from the gaping hole/void in the backyard, you wouldn't even have known the Fontaine crew had been there. They did a very good job cleaning and raking up the site. Can you tell this was a great experience? And yes, I would certainly hire them again.

Description of Work
A fantastic oak in my backyard was diseased and needed to be taken down, the tree was approximately 90" tall. (From my neighbor's account, the tree was planted when the house was built in the 1950's.)

05/02/2013

john L.

We have used Fontaine Tree service several times over the last 3 years, most recently yesterday (5/1/2013) and we have never been disappointed. They estimate with an honest price, they set a time and date to arrive, they call the day before (we have dogs and it is nice to have a warning someone is coming so they are inside), they show up when they say, they do a great job, and clean up before they leave. I could not be happier.

Description of Work
Remove a large Pine tree next to house and grind stump.

04/30/2013

Kenneth P.

I buy my firewood from this company, so I called when I needed the tree service. Paul (the owner) was honest about every facet of the work to be done. He walked my property with me one time, and did not miss anything i told him. When his crew arrived, he walked the property with the foreman for my job and me as well. These guys worked hard; minimal breaks or rest time. They got the job done, and it was done right. At one point at the end of the project clean up, I looked out my window and saw one of the crew picking up twigs. One thing I recommend you do if you can and that is make decisions ahead of seeing Paul on exactly what you want to do. That seemed to greatly speed up the process for me. Know what trees you want removed, what ones you want trimmed etc. Also, you have to listen too, listen to what Paul suggests and don't heasitate to ask why. He will tell you honestly and straight forward. This is one company I felt that I was working WITH as opposed to hiring.

Description of Work
WOW, these guys are great. They delivered on time and as promised. The work on my property took about one and one half days including tree removal (most were well in excess ot 125' high), stump grinding and cutting away dead limbs. The three man crew was respectful of my property, cleaning as they went from task to task. Their equipment was clean and did not leak gas, oil or grease. When the project ended, they cleaned the property, driveway and even the street. I was impressed and would recommend this company to anyone with any size tree project.

04/27/2013

Nancy O.

The crew came about a week earlier than planned and worked efficiently and professionally. They cleaned up well too. We still need them to come back to do stump grinding, but that is an issue with our fence. We need to have that taken down before they grind.

Description of Work
We needed 9 very tall pine trees cut down behind our house. Access was a little tricky, and other companies we got estimates from made a big deal about it, had higher prices, etc. There was no drama with Paul. He came, looked at the trees, gave us an estimate right then and there, and gave us the best price. We liked the price, but we also liked him too. Confident and experienced. He also did our neighbor's trees...that's how we heard about him.

11/25/2012

Edward A.

It was a good experience. I would recommend.

Description of Work
Mr. Fontaine visited my home in Bolton at my request, to look at some trees of concern. He arrived on time, was very professional, gave me a written estimate and various options. I appreciate that he did not try to "upsell" me. I have not yet decided which trees to remove, or at what time, so I can't say that he has performed the work. But the process of getting the estimate surely gave me confidence that he is a true professional who I will certainly call when I decide to have the work done.

07/19/2012

Joao S.

They were prompt and courteous in returning my phone call for an estimate. They came by and listened to what I needed done and gave me an estimate right on the spot. After confirming they got the job, I received a call at around the time they had indicated their schedule would accommodate the work I was having done. They showed up on time. The person that gave me the quote was there to direct the staff on what needed to be done. They proceeded to do exactly what we had discussed. They trimmed quite a few overgrown trees that were blocking out the sun and overhanging the house. They cleaned up after themselves. They were even able to squeeze in a minor trim for my elderly neighbor who had no success in getting someone out to his house. I'm not sure if they were the cheapest but they were definitely the most professional.

Description of Work
We had a quite a few overgrown trees with very high up branches that were growing out into the yard and over the house that needed to be trimmed. We also had a few trees that were in rough shape after last winters freak snow storm that caused a lot of tree damage in the are. They needed to be taken down as they had snapped in half.

01/05/2012

John P.

Fontaine has been our "go-to" provider for tree and limb removal services for a number of years. His prices are probably not the cheapest, but we have found him to do good work and we feel that he provides good value. He's taken down a number of trees and limbs for us over the years, and we would recommend him highly.

Description of Work
Tree and limb removal.