Arborway Tree Care Inc

Founded 1979 • With Angi since November 2002

50C Margin St

Hyde Park, MA 02136

Services Metro Boston Area. Licensed and Certified Arborists. 9 Employees. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. Additional phone number - (617) 524-8733....

03/03/2018

John R.

These guys saved our house from MAJOR damage today. Winter Storm Riley partially uprooted a 40 foot spruce tree on our property, leaving it swaying in the wind and threatening to smash in the roof and side of the house. The guys from Arborway came out first thing in the morning on a Saturday and cut it down, even though this was inconvenient and probably more dangerous than their typical job. I am very grateful for their terrific work--they are complete pros at what they do!

Description of Work
Emergency tree removal

10/29/2017

William R.

Before booking a time for the work, they insisted that I get written permission from our three neighbors. It took me some time to get that permission... lots of knocking on doors and emails/phone calls with landlords who own one neighboring house. I sent in the forms and was told I'd here from the arborist. I didn't hear after a couple of weeks so I emailed again to get back on their radar. I did not receive a response. I assume it's one person dropping the ball but all it takes is one person from a company of good people to destroy a good impression of that company. I wasted a lot of time trying to set up this service and am dumbfounded that I have to write this review. Maybe this review will get them to get in touch with me? Maybe it will get them to improve their ways?

Description of Work
We wanted a few trees trimmed in the backyard. We had Arborway Tree Co come and give an estimate. They seemed very professional and their price was reasonable so we decided to hire them.

06/30/2017

Bernard K.

I contacted this outfit and they responded quickly. I was told they didn't do work in my area. However the person I spoke to was kind enough to recommend an outfit that does. I appreciate their response. Professional and courteous. Thank you.

Description of Work
No work was performed.

06/16/2017

STEVE B.

I have been using them for years. They’ve done tree cutting for me and basically all their services. I would use them over and over again.

Description of Work
They sprayed for 2 different types of moss. Gypsy moss and I can’t think of the name of the other moss. Then they fertilized the tree, it’s a large red oak tree. They also did some deep root prevention for some type of beetles.

Category pest control, lawn treatment

05/11/2017

Christopher S.

The actual tree work was expert as always. The pricing was twice what it cost in 2014, and the arborist was unwilling to negotiate and condescending in tone. The office manager was unresponsive to emails and phone messages do two weeks after the deposit had been made. To his credit, the business owner did call me and respectfully hear my complaint about the inflexibility and negative attitude of the arborist. And that's why, in the end, a solid B. That said, I'll research other options the next time around before go with Arborway again.

Description of Work
Pruning of three trees on two pieces of residential property on Charlestown.

12/30/2016

Tom R.

Outstanding job -- professional, punctual, safe, did exactly what they said they would and a little more, for the price quoted. The trees look beautiful. The people were easy to work with, explained clearly what they were doing, and were flexible, highly competent, and fun to watch.

Description of Work
Prune and remove deadwood from very large white ash that had not been trimmed for ~8 years; stabilize with cables to protect tree. Prune small flowering cherry that was a tangled mess. Fertilize both (they will come back to do this in the spring).

08/02/2016

Daniel H.

Despite our specific request for gypsy moth prevention only, Arborway drew up an invoice totaling $2,720. Almost none of the proposed work was related to gypsy moths, and a second opinion showed that the other proposed work was completely unnecessary.

Description of Work
We were referred to Arborway for prevention of gypsy moths.

07/11/2016

David M.

Superb work. Excellent work, I recommend them to anyone in the world.

Description of Work
They sprayed my trees to protect from insect infestation. They mulch the yard.

Category landscaping, lawn treatment, tree service

03/01/2016

Hal W.

Price was excellent and much less expensive than other estimates we received from other AL contractors. Sales rep went to neighbor for us to get permission to cut branches from a tree on their property, instead of us having to go to them and ask them to sign a waiver. This was a much appreciated step and made our lives a lot easier. Scheduling was a bit tough, took quite some time from start to finish. But once we finally got a date on the calendar, work was performed well. Would recommend and use again.

Description of Work
Pruned high branches from several trees that were hanging over roof. Pruned back tree growing close to house.

01/24/2016

Katherine O.

It took a while from first contact (and the deposit) to get the work scheduled, since we had to secure permission from the neighbor with the tree behind our house. That part was fine. It would have been nice to hear from them a bit more during this process. I had first contacted them at the beginning of September and the work was done in mid-December. The delay itself wasn't a problem, but at times it seemed like we had been forgotten. However, every contact we did have with them was extremely professional and I have no complaints about the work. I will definitely work with them again in the future, and I will just keep in mind that I won't hear from them much during any waiting periods. I know that I can always reach out to them if need be.

Description of Work
Trimmed by dead and/or overhanging limbs on two trees on or near our property. One in the front of our property which had a roof overhang and dead limbs over the roadway and one behind our house, on a neighbor's land, which also had limbs over our roof.

10/15/2015

Jason G.

Overall, it was fine. There were some problems. They brought the machinery that was too big for our yard to remove some tree stumps. It ended up doing some damage to the property however, they did come out and try to fix and repair it. The price was good. They did try to fix it when it was called to their attention. They're professional.

Description of Work
I used Arborway for tree service.

07/15/2015

SUSAN F.

Our house's main front-yard problem has always been an appallingly healthy flowering plum tree which the previous owners had planted way too close to the house. It's a lovely tree--pink blossoms, dark red leaves--with more and more dark red leaves every time you turned around. Apart from filling up the gutters, apart from crowding the second floor, the blasted thing keeps putting out interior branches and suckers, resulting in ultra-dense shade around and below it. A couple of years ago I had some moderately experienced pruners hack out a lot of the interior at my direction. (I forget why I didn't use Arborway at the time--they were probably booked up & couldn't come soon enough.) That just encouraged it. Within a year it was denser than ever. Put it this way: the hosts come up in the spring, try to make a start, and by June 1st they start to fade off, discouraged by only getting near-horizontal light around sundown. Well, there's not much of a story, just a happy ending. Arborway came, took out most of the interior and the most obtrusive edges, and shaped the thing into this open, airy, pretty, ornamental tree that the neighbors stated asking about. If I were able to figure out how to attach pictures (I know, I'm sure it's easy--look, I'm old, I'm pre-computer, leave me alone) anybody would be impressed. The man's an artist. Besides the main event of the plum tree, they also advised me about another legacy from the previous owners, huge dead and dying lombardy poplars. They'll be taking the dead ones out for me; meanwhile they pruned the one that's staying in just the way it needed. The poplars have these weird vertical suckers/branches that poke out and then up from the trunk all the way up. They simply took off the bottom 15' or so off these suckers, leaving something that looks much more like a normal tree with a trunk and a top--and incidentally, admitting way more light. I don't think it would be possible to over-praise their work.

Description of Work
Pruned a problem tree--beautifully; did other pruning…..

06/18/2015

Todd W.

We first used Arborway last year to have a number of trees trimmed back, and one of the additional services suggested at that time was a Winter Moth Spraying of our Maples. We had it performed then (spring 2014?) and then again in April 2015. Very responsive, very friendly. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Winter Moth Spraying

05/31/2015

Jeanne S.

Well, the saga of Arborway Tree Care continues, and I am sorry that I didn't change the D to an F, instead of a B. This is what happened: So, I was the one the condo association designated to take care of trimming the trees in front and back. After the mess they made and after my neighbor called and told me how they, instead of talking to ME about the review that I had given them, decided we would absolutely not be calling them again for anything. I thought that was that, but then, out of the blue, I get a call from Arborway about how they wanted to talk to me about coming out to do some more work. We were out of town and could not talk at that moment. I think it was a Saturday when he called. In any case, I told him that I did not request any more work and that they should call me when I returned on Wednesday so we could talk. Instead, the arborist, as they LOVE to call themselves, went behind my back, showed up at our property while he knew I was out of town, without an appointment or permission, knocked on two of my neighbors' doors, told them I had ordered spraying which they had done BEFORE knocking on anyone's door (mind you I just found out about all of this the day before yesterday when I was talking to my neighbor), and told them they needed payment and a signature. While they were here, they managed to break several branches on the tree they butchered outside of our unit. The shape of the tree has been completely altered for the worse by this company of complete incompetents. I am giving them the grade I wanted to give them in the first place, which is a big fat F. DO NOT HIRE THESE LOSERS! And that is my final review.

Description of Work
This is the second time this provider has come out. The first review I gave them was a D. They called another person in our condo association after they read the review to complain to them about me and to try to put some pressure on me to change the review. I rethought and revised my review because of a mixed experience (uneven service depending on who you deal with in the company, one tree done ok, another completely butchered, etc.) and when the guy offered to come out and fix what he had done, I was busy and just told the condo association to pay him for his work, and that we just would use their service again. So, I thought that was that--and I had done a really nice thing by changing the review from a D to a B.

05/21/2015

Christine & Stephen D.

The gentleman that came out to our house was extremely knowledge. He was able to get rid of a lot of tree debris that we were very happy to get rid of. Our trees are healthy, we have more sun in the yard and this provider didn't use any chemicals. Great work.

Description of Work
Tree Service

04/22/2015

Steven G.

It took almost 6 weeks to get them out. They noticed did the job but then noticed a broken limb. Even though they had all the equipment and ladders, and several workers, then insisted on a new estimate from the arborist, this added at least $400 to my bill and I had to wait again for 4 weeks. Try finding someone else.

Description of Work
Trim overhanging branches on large maple that went over deck

04/19/2015

Molly G.

It took me a while to get approval from my neighbor for ATC to use their property to clear removed branches and it took ATC a while to tell me which neighbor they required approval from (first time was incorrect). Once the approval was gained it took a long time for any work to be done in my backyard. The primary work I requested was to have the hemlock bush significantly trimmed back (I've asked them to do this two years in a row). It had to be sprayed before it could be trimmed and when they finally trimmed it last fall it was hardly noticable.

Description of Work
Trimming of evergreen trees and bushes, lilac bushes and spraying of a hemlock.

04/01/2015

Jeanne S.

The arborist as they like to call themselves called in a timely manner and was at our place in no time with papers/credentials in hand and could give us a verbal quote immediately. Knew the types of trees and sounded knowledgeable. After he sent us the hard copy of the quote we called him back to set up a time. Were told that he would call us back to set up a time. As it ended up, we had to call him back and leave a message. He called back and said that due to the snow they were backlogged. I said that they should have called me with that information and that they needed to give us an idea of when they could do the service as soon it would be too late. They said there was also an issue with parking they were concerned about also due to the snow, and I said, again that was something they should have called me about to see if we could make it happen. We discussed all this during this phone call and hammered it out enough that we could set a date then and there. The ten feet of snow in our backyard was not going to be an issue. Which begs the question: Why didn't they call me since the possible setbacks were just hypothetical and clearly not actual. So, this general logistical setback, which required me to follow up with them instead of the other way around, left a bad taste in my mouth. So the guys came, they did the work, they left. When I inspected the work I was rather appalled at the quality of the work ON ONE OF THE TREES in the front. The branches were just kind of lopped off haphazardly in the middle of the branch and did nothing to improve or enhance the shape of the tree as it grows. It really looks awful--and it's the one outside my window. Plus they didn't just trim the branches facing the building, they kind of stripped it so that it looks lopsided, which is a mystery since the other tree in front doesn't look bad. I did call Arborway to expresse my concerns and the guy who answered the phone was very dismissive, like a guy accusing his wife of being a nag. He scoffed at my concerns and told me that the men who trimmed my trees were "arborists" with 30 years of experience. I don't buy it. Sorry. Just because I am a girl doesn't mean that I don't know a bad job when I see it or that I don't know something about the proper way to trim a tree. I am not an "arborist" but I have a basic knowledge of how to trim a tree (I have trimmed quite a few and of basic aesthetics, and there are people in my family with expertise in the field). He was kind of a jerk. The "arborist" who called me back agreed that the guy was a jerk. This guy was very nice and he was apologetic about the agent's manner towards me. He told me that for the type of tree that we have in front that it is ok to just lop off the branches mid way. I do not, however, agree with his assessment, which was just an excuse for a poor job. To his credit he did tell me that he would come and fix it to my satisfaction. I was going to take him up on it, but you know, we have other issues with our building and we have lives. It was just too much of a bother, so I told them to pay Arborway but to put them on our list of contractors NOT to use again, but perhaps that is too harsh. Maybe we will call them again, I don't know. We'll see how it goes with that tree right outside my window that has seen better days. Update: I spoke to my neighbor a couple weeks after I posted my review. He told me that someone in the company (probably the guy who was a jerk on the phone that time) decided to call HIM, apparently a reasonable male, to complain about my review and to see if he could talk some sense into me, you know, the hysterical female, and get me to change my review. That really p***** me off. HOWEVER--after re-reading my first review I realize that it was written based on my initial shock at seeing the tree that looks like a three year old did it, which happens to be right outside our living room window, and did not take the work they did on the other two trees into account. So, I have decided to soften my initial review based on the following assessment: If I were to grade each tree individually, I would give the one outside my window a D, the one next to it an A, and the one out back a B-. The arborist who was very nice when he called me back and offered to make it right, and agreed that the other guy was a jerk, definitely gets an A for professionalism. The guy who met with me the first time and provided me with all the paperwork I needed, including credentials and a prompt estimate gets and A. But, the guy who took my initial complaint and took it upon himself to call a male member of our condo association to set me straight gets a big fat F for poor customer service skills and appalling sexism.

Description of Work
Pruned three trees. One in the back which was a volunteer tree that we keep because it offers shade and two trees in front.

02/26/2015

Kiril A.

very prompt, did a great job and even finished early. very professional and friendly. highly recommend.

Description of Work
removed a young tree

02/12/2015

Louise K.

They were extremely knowledgeable. I thought they were a little expensive. I have used three removal services and they've been way cheaper but they were not like a professional company so it's hard to judge but they did seem a little high to me.

Description of Work
It's for a tree removal.

01/07/2015

LAURA G.

I contacted Arborway Tree for an estimate to trim a very large, healthy red oak tree. They visited the site 2 weeks after my initial call and quoted me $2,500 for routine trimming, which was 250% more than the service I hired. They also told me it would be 6-8 weeks before they could provide the service. I hired someone else.

Description of Work
Provided exhorbitant estimate for tree trimming

Category tree service

Arborway Tree Care received [Member name removed] request to do a complete health maintenance pruning of her beautiful giant 6’ diameter red oak at the front left corner of the property on September 3, 2014. Our arborist went to her property and priced it on September 9, 2014 and [Member name removed] received the informal estimate via email September 11, 2014. [Member name removed] is correct on the price for this pruning. However, our price also included the cost of a Boston Police detail for the day to help conduct traffic because the tree is over the street and power lines. Our price reflects the quality of work we perform, our equipment, staff, certifications, and insurance that we have and carry. [Member name removed] also stated we told her it would be 6-8 weeks; that is correct, and it’s a reflection of the high demand for Arborway Tree Care’s services. We are up front with our customers on lead times that vary based on season and weather conditions. When comparing prices, it’s important to also compare the extent of the service that was proposed. In [Member name removed] case, the pruning she had done by another service provider was not as extensive as the service we proposed. Our certified arborist looks at each property as if it were his own and recommends the best possible service to ensure the future health of the trees.

01/06/2015

BETH S.

As always, I feel like we are in good hands with Arborway Tree Care. Their arborists are fantastic and provide frank advice and guidance. Their work crew is professional and prompt. They always leave things cleaned up nicely. I will always have them do our tree work.

Description of Work
They did a health and maintenance pruning of our beautiful, old oak. They pruned back a neighbor's tree to the property line (with permission), and removed a tree on the boarder of our property with a second neighbor (also with permission), as well a yew in the front of our house. They chipped and removed all debris, as well as an old brush pile we had.

01/02/2015

Ruby M.

Excellent. This is the second time I have used this company. They are the best but it takes a while for them to get to you.

Description of Work
Cleared overgrown shrubs

12/18/2014

JAMES & Jill A.

They were a little hard to schedule with, however, they did a fantastic job. They also did a great job in the clean up. I would highly recommend them to others. The gentleman in charge was also very knowledgeable and informative.

Description of Work
I hired them to do some major work on my trees.

12/06/2014

Hume V.

We have had Arborway take care of our silver maple for 20 years now. This tree requires periodic trimming to lighten the canopy of the tree so that it is at less risk of damage in high winds, and to remove any branches that might have become weakened and represent a danger, Steve and his crew at Arborway always come as planned; or if the weather prevents this, they are scrupulous about calling ahead to let us know of a change in plans. Our tree is too tall to reach with a standard boom; the Arborway crew climb the tree themselves and lower cut branches by ropes so as not to damage our picket fence or anything else in the yard. Before they leave, they clean up all detritus. By the time they're gone, there are only a few bits of sawdust scattered here and there; otherwise, you wouldn't know they had been here.

Description of Work
Trimmed enormous (90' tall, 15' trunk) silver maple