Dave Miner Exterior Home Improvements LLC

Founded 1980 • With Angi since April 2008

264 Southampton Rd

Holyoke, MA 01040

Dave Miner Exterior Home Improvements has been serving our neighbors in Western Mass for over 30 years with high quality craftsmanship and personal service. We offer free estimates and believe in maintaining quality by not subcontracting. Our workmanship is guaranteed and we are fully licensed and insured. We specialize in roofing, siding, replacement windows, attic insulation and ventilation, radiant barriers, solar power attic fans and gutter guards and utilize the latest in environmentally friendly products and resources. In 2012 we recycled over 250 tons of asphalt shingles. Dave Miner Exterior Home Improvements is an accredited A+ Member of the Better Business Bureau, a member of the Western Mass Home Builders Association and has received Angie’s List Super Service award from 2009-2012....

12/02/2020

D W.

Everything went well. Dave came to give us a quote pretty quickly after contacting him on Angie's list. He was professional and had material boards to show us what our options were for brand and colors for shingles. All of his marketing material was organized and professional looking as well. He gave us the sales pitch about the products, but also told us to do our research before make any decisions on who to go with. We did the research and in the end we decided to go with his company. There were a few factors that lead us to this decision. Some were his professionalism, the fact that he did the gutters, and not a third-party, and that he took all of the old material away. Dave has his own trucks that he uses to haul away the debris, instead of using a dumpster that my sit in your yard for a few days. His team came first thing in the morning and were pleasant. They were able to finish both roofs and gutters in a day. They cleaned up everything from the job and everything looks good. Thank you!

Description of Work
Roof and gutter replacement on house and garage

Category gutter repair, roofing

05/21/2020

Mark W.

Outstanding. I dealt at all times directly with Dave Miner or his wife, who were responsive and personable. i wanted a quality product and a master craftsman, whose judgement I could trust. I'm fussy about what I want and expect. Dave listened, challenged - had his own opinion but was able to integrate my preferences in a balanced way. Dave was provided exactly the kind of flexibility I needed. The crew was tight. They worked industriously, on-schedule needing, little over-site. But Dave was on-site much of the time. The crew went above and beyond, on-their-own, fixing broken gutters ... and 6 months later, when I had a leak that turned out unrelated, Dave was immediately responsive, personally inspected the problem, with his right-hand man - and while not responsible, Dave saw an intermediate solution told his man how to fix-it - and the guy was back the next day (on a Sunday) fixing the problem. I offered to pay, as the problem was clearly unrelated to the roof job. But Dave Miner graciously declined. This guy's my hero!

Description of Work
Complete roof replacement - on time, on-budget - for large, occupied, 100 year old, 2 family house. A 2 day job i needed done in the 4 day window, before Thanksgiving 2019.

05/06/2020

Robert N.

We hired Dave Miner to replace 3 skylights and our original roof, which was 27 years old and had became a problem inside with leaks, and out. Dave came to our home twice to present, recommend and review the different options available, which was great because it allowed us to better understand the process and choose the option which best met our needs. The job itself was done in just over a day, and we couldn't be happier. The crew began at 7:30am and worked past 6pm, and they never stopped. I could not believe how efficient and productive they were, the energy they all had. Each person on site had a specific job function, and I never saw them standing around. In fact, they went the other direction and assisted others, a team mentality. So impressed. The skylight removals and installations went quickly and the finish work on the inside and out looks great. When the job was finished, you wouldn't have even known they were there, which was amazing considering the amount of debris created. When all is said and done, I would hire Dave and his crew again without question. Dave was professional throughout, and his communication and attentiveness during the entire process was exceptional. We have already received compliments on how good the finished product looks, and it's only been one day. For as stressful a project this can surely be, we couldn't be happier with the job Dave and his team did!

Description of Work
Roof and skylight replacement

06/05/2017

Craig L.

Excellent Good workers not too fast and not too slow just right, they worked well together. Great job of cleaning up. Very polite. Even submitted the warranty paperwork to shingle manufacture for us.

Description of Work
New Roof and replaced drip edge as needed. Took off 3 layers of old roofs

04/19/2017

Juliana H.

Dave was extremely professional and easy to work with. He installed new skylights and re did the shingles on that side of the roof. He did not push us to re-do the whole roof, Which is reaching its end, but instead laid out a logical time line to replace the rest of the roof. The team also left the place spotless.

Description of Work
Sky Light and roof

03/14/2017

Michael B.

A premium roofing installation / experience...at a premium price. Dave Minor was the third of three contractors I contacted for estimates. I had a roof that had fallen victim to major ice dam issues which resulted in significant damage to the interior of my residence. It is a complicated roof with many angles and valleys. I did extensive research, updated my insulation and contacted three roofers for bids. There was an $8,000 difference between bids. DM was the highest bid, but also the only contractor to offer multiple appropriate solutions to my ice dam issues. The first contractor told me that "ventilation doesn't really matter", another contractor (right in the middle) recommended what appeared to be a less than complete solution to me. DM gave me extensive varied solutions to address my issues. The install included a special smart vent throughout, removal and replacement, (aluminium to vinyl), of siding (after appropriate flashing/storm ice shield installation), the installation of a floating roof over the existing structure, (one section)....and well....a ton of other stuff...including gutter guards throughout. The hope was that I would end up with as much of a maintenance free roofing system as possible. The only reason I'm giving 4 stars is that David himself was not present on the job as much as I felt he intimated he would be during our discussions of the project. In all fairness he did show up on the week + job on a number of days. In addition he was responded quickly to any questions posed to the fob foremen. He was also very responsive and communicative throughout the process. I felt treated fairly by the end of our interactions. I would gladly do business with him again. The foreman on my job, (Pete) and the rest of the DM crew are the reason this is such a positive review. The work they did was immaculate, The job site very well prepped and cleaned. The roofing/siding installation looks amazing and the scope of work performed was above and beyond the bare minimum required by our contract. My beds were fully raked and not a spot of debris was to be found. Frankly, this was one of the better experiences I've had hiring contractors. Again...Pete and the crew were very responsive to any questions or requests I had. They were friendly and appropriately conversational. Pete himself was happy to take time to explain the specifics of the roofing system install and to forward any specific requests to David. For example, I had a request for some gravel to be brought in to fill some ruts created in my driveway (the install was during a very muddy period). I offered to pay for the material. Pete said that he would speak to David Minor. The next morning day there were guys spreading gravel in my driveway. No upcharge. in fact..refreshingly...no surprise upcharges at all. In addition, when holes were patched in the existing sub-roof the carpenters took time to actually make as many cuts from a single piece of plywood as possible (rather than lazily use multiple pieces and then charge me for them). All in all a great experience. I would recommend David Minor Roofing (as well as Pete and the crew) to my friends and family. Sometimes you actually get what you pay for.

Description of Work
Roofing Installation Smart Vent throughout Air-gap roofing install (one section) 12' Storm/Ice Shield Siding removal and install (dormers) Gutter Guard (other specifics too numerous to mention)

Category gutter repair, remodeling, roofing, siding

02/11/2017

Terry O.

Everything went well. The crew was great and cleaned up after themselves each day. We bought new outdoor lights and they installed them for us.

Description of Work
Replaced the siding and shutters on my house, replaced 3 doors, 1 storm door, 1 window and the gutters.

Category gutter repair, siding, replacement windows, doors

11/14/2016

Laurie R.

Dave and his crew are prompt, polite, professional and very skilled. I have a many skylights, several dormers and various roof lines. It was a big job that took place over 4 days. The roof looks beautiful and the yard is completely clean of debris. I had heard from several friends and neighbors that Dave and his crew were the best and I understand why his reputation is so outstanding. He does provide a selection of options from which the owner can choose in terms of price and materials. I believe his fees are very competitive and his sterling reputation makes him a great choice for the services that he provides. I highly recommend Dave Miner Exterior Home Improvements.

Description of Work
New roof and leaf guards added to existing gutters

10/13/2016

Penelope K.

The work is booked in November but we had many people come & price the job & Dave was very informative & honest about what needed to be done & why. He was very prompt in returning calls & making sure to follow through on any of the things we had discussed in a timely fashion. I look forward to seeing the job completed. He wasn't the least expensive but definitely not the highest either, but took his time to explain to me what he would be providing in his quote & Med me feel quite confident in our choice to choose his business. I will update this post once the job is complete

Description of Work
Rotted Clapboard replacement & whole upper porch refinishing including reframing & replacing Windows, gutters, & ceiling.

Category gutter repair, remodeling, siding, replacement windows

10/08/2016

David F.

Poor, We had scheduled to meet after 5 pm because I don't leave the office till 5. I got home at 5:10 and he had already come and gone, he just slipped some booklets through my mailslot. I attempted to contact him when I got home and realized but haven't gotten a response back in the 3 weeks since.

Description of Work
Siding, windows, gutters and replacement of 6 structural collumns in the front of the house

Category gutter repair, siding, replacement windows

10/05/2016

Fred R.

. Fantastic! He had a good team of workers and they were very professional. Last but not least they did a great job cleaning up.

Description of Work
Replaced the existing carport roof including the plywood.

10/04/2016

Judith K.

Called them, didn't hear back. Called again, didn't hear back. Finally, sent an e-mail. No response. Might be good roofers, but they're definitely not good business people if they are just ignoring calls and e-mail messages.

Description of Work
Needed roofs replaced on home and garage.

Category gutter repair

09/27/2016

Nicole B.

He said he would come some day the following week and we agreed on a fee and I left the new shingles out on my driveway for him. It's now 2 1/2 weeks later and he hasn't returned either of my calls asking when he plans to come.

Description of Work
He agreed to try to fix a spot on my roof after driving by to look at it.

09/11/2016

Christian D.

We emailed one week, called the next week, and never heard back from them at all.

Description of Work
We needed to have a skylight replaced and some lichen and moss removed from our roof.

08/31/2016

Janet M.

Dave performed an estimate in October and was able to get a team here in February to replace the roof. He was out of town and a number of his workers apparently had illnesses and other problems so it took much longer than planned but they managed to work around the ice on the ground and finish the job. Part of his offer is not only the work itself and the guarantees on the shingles, but also a promise to leave the property in the condition it was before work began. In my case, I have a closed gutter system which became clogged with debris from the old roof that they removed and sections were knocked loose or the new roof was not as high as the former double layer so the runoff did not flow correctly. After asking Dave to come and see, I finally had to ask the gutter folks to come repair and clear out the system. I sent the invoice to Dave and he agreed to pay it without argument. I appreciate someone who takes their responsibilities seriously and steps up when appropriate. The roof looks good and I'm satisfied with the job.

Description of Work
My entire house roof needed to be replaced, including the removal of two previous layers.

07/06/2016

Jeff G.

Dave Miner delivered exactly what he promised and more!. His price was extremely competitive, he scheduled our job within the time frame that was discussed, his crew was very professional and courteous. Their workmanship and clean up was meticulous. As an added bonus, Dave was on site himself! I would gladly recommend Dave Miner to anyone needing a roof !

Description of Work
Replaced my roof.

06/08/2016

DENISE T.

I cannot more about Dave Miner. From the beginning when I started my search for a roofer, I contacted three companies. Although all three prices were comparable, Dave was the only one who took the time to sit down and walk through the project. He went over details that I didn't know to even ask. His selection of products and warranties were very good. He never tried to oversell me - or get me to upgrade to a product or service I didn't really need. I am planning a Bridal Shower in my back yard and was working with a hard deadline, Dave promised me he would have it done in time, and he was good to his work, with a week to spare. I was very happy with the respect shown to my yard and neighborhood, by the workers. You could not even tell they were there. I had a gut feeling that I was dealing with a business owner with integrity who cared about his work, and I was correct. I would highly recommend Dave Miner Exteriors.

Description of Work
Stripped old roof, assessed and replaced the plywood underneath, installed new roof and gutters.

Category gutter repair, roofing

02/26/2016

Robert R.

We had obtained 5 estimates from roofing contractors found on Angie's. Pricing was in the same area with all of them. Dave Miner's pricing was slightly higher. For the extra couple of hundred dollars, it was worth going with expertese, workmanship and stable full time staff that has been with Davids roofing company for years. We have had problems in the past with temporary day laborers and outsourced staff doing work on the house from other projects. The roofers were courteous, clean and finished the job in 3 days. They replaced screens that were damaged when stripping the roof and cleaned the yard far better than it was before they started. We have 3 dogs and were concerned about nails and this was absolutely a nonissue. We decided to go with a standing seam roof for the detached garage and David cut us a deal and we are very pleased with the result. We are also very happy with the new Velux skylights. The old skylights were very drafty and found these new ones to be far more energy efficient. We were going to go with fixed skylights. David talked us into the new solar powered skylights that get a 30% tax rebate that we just received. We highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Stripped old roof from house, attached and detached garages. Replaced house/garage with Certainteed Landmark Pro Lifetime Architectural roofing along with 4 Velux solar powered skylights with shades. Replaced detached garage with standing seam metal roof.

10/28/2015

Sonya S.

I highly recommend Dave. He was very responsive to all of our contact with him, and he spent a significant amount of time explaining the process and his products to us. He didn't oversell us on the most premier line of roofing supplies, since we weren't sure how long we're going to be in our current house. When he came to inspect our roof, he said it was one of the worst he had seen, and we were very concerned about getting it replaced asap, since winter is on its way, and Dave had a back-up of jobs he and his crew were committed to. But luckily, he was doing another job or two in Amherst, close to us, and squeezed us in within 2 weeks of hiring him (maybe it was even one week?). We were so thrilled to have Dave's crew show up and begin removing the old roof shingles, and they were done with replacing the entire roof by the next day. Dave also recommended a mason to us for replacing our chimney, which was falling apart. He worked with the mason to time the replacement so it could happen at a convenient time for the roof replacement, so the process was totally seamless for us. The roof looks great, we have a ridge vent when we didn't before, and we don't have to worry about a leaking roof. I indicated "Good/Grade of B" for price simply because I don't actually know how Dave's pricing stacks up - we had an estimate for a metal roof from another company that was more than twice what Dave was charging. We also liked that Dave doesn't subcontract out, so the folks who work for him are insured through their employer, and they're accountable to Dave for the work they do. Seems like an ethical business practice to me. The only minor hiccup is that the crew left behind some debris (roofing nails, a nail bandolier, and couple of small tools) that we found when we next went out to mow the lawn. But in comparison to the quick and neat work Dave and his crew did on the roof, we'll take it.

Description of Work
Dave and his crew tore off our old shingled roof and installed a brand new shingled roof, created a ridge vent, re-installed a better bathroom vent, and added Smart Venting for air circulation, since our soffits are not well-ventilated. He also coordinated with a mason to replace our chimney, which was badly in need of repair, so both things happened at once, which saved us a lot of coordination.

Category remodeling, roofing, siding

10/19/2015

Denise M.

I thought it was overpriced

Description of Work
installed new shower

09/24/2015

Desmond F.

We had David Minor replace our roof last summer and I was very satisfied with the service. There were some delays in getting the job scheduled and in some communication, but that was pretty understandable given that he runs a single roofing team and is quite actively involved with both the running of the business and the work itself. Roofing is a brutal job, and you got to admire a business owner who is up there working with his team just as often as he is coordinating with clients. When he came for the estimate, the first thing he did was hop up on the roof to take a close look. A lot of other estimators just stood on the ground and stared at it. Once we had the job scheduled, his team was fast, but thorough. They could be a bit rough around the edges at times (I found a bit of garbage in the yard after they finished), but in terms of cost, speed and quality--which were my main concerns--David came in very competitively with the other estimates we received, and the roof looks great. He was also very fair, as when we discovered a few more panels than anticipated of plywood that had suffered dry rot. Despite the fact that our contract explicitly excluded additional panel replacement from our estimate, he cut us a deal on the surcharge, since he felt that he had given us a misleading impression of the amount of rot in the estimate. I really appreciated his straightforward and honest manner and am happy with the job. As a final courtesy, he even lent us a nail magnet so that I could run a few extra swipes around our children's play area (he had already done three passes of the yard, but there are just so many nails involved that it was worth doing a more careful pass around play areas). It has been a year since we had the roof installed, and we have had no problems so far.

Description of Work
Replaced roof

09/03/2015

Andy M.

Not his type of work.

Description of Work
Looked it over.Not his kind of work. Very nice guy, made some suggestions on what type of guy to look for.

08/03/2015

Lori G.

Our experience with Dave was positive from start to finish. We had a leak on the second floor of our 3 story farmhouse-style home. Since there was no leak on the 3rd floor, we weren't sure what the problem was, and if we needed a roof repair or replacement. We were not able to use our bedroom because it would leak when it rained; plus we kept the electricity to that part of the house off, which was quite inconvenient. Dave came within 2 days of our first phone contact with him and spent about an hour and a half evaluating the situation - our roof, including the plywood, needed to be replaced. He was very thorough and seemed knowledgeable about methods and materials. He explained to us in detail what needed to be done and what our options for shingles would be. He felt that the plywood on the front and back porches would probably not have to be replaced, but gave us an estimate in case they did. He showed us 3 different shingles with different warranties and prices. We liked that he was not pushy about which shingle to choose. He thought the middle tile would suit our needs, but we ended up choosing the one with the best warranty, even though it was a little more expensive. The timing of the work was important to us, since we were expecting company soon, but of course Dave had other jobs lined up. However, I did feel that he put a priority on getting our job done because we had a leak. Once he came to do the job, it was completed in 2 days. He arrived with a large work crew of about 9 early on a Friday morning, and worked until 6 or 6:30 that evening. He said he wanted the main roof of the house to be completed so there would be no more leak. They returned Monday to complete the job. It turned out that the plywood on the porches was in much worse shape than he had anticipated, so that also had to be replaced. Dave supervised the job both days, only leaving when he felt it was done to his satisfaction. He made sure the workers respected our property, gardens, etc. There was absolutely no debris when the job was finished, which we really appreciated. There was only one minor mishap - a small tear in a window screen, for which he took off $100 from the final price. We had originally agreed to pay for the entire job by check, but when some other expenses came up, Dave agreed to let us pay partly by check and the remainder by credit card, which we thought was very fair of him. Dave is professional and personable, and did a beautiful job on our new roof. We would highly recommend him!

Description of Work
Removed old roof (plywood and shingles) and installed new roof, including plywood.

06/12/2015

John L.

Did a lot of research and talked to a lot of contractors before deciding to go with Dave Miner. When he arrived to quote the job he was very through in describing every option available to re-roof my house. I asked a lot of questions and he definitely kept the whole experience low pressure. He left plenty of literature so I could educate myself BEFORE making a decision. I ended up contracting with Dave in mid March with the understanding I was in no rush to get it done. Dave contacted me a few days ago to inform me that his crew would be there yesterday and sure enough they arrived early and were working by 7:30am. I got home around 4 o'clock to be greeted by a crew of 8 or so just finishing cleaning up. After they left I walked around the house and examined the yard and of coarse my new roof. All I can say is what an awesome job!! My roof is just plain beautiful and the only evidence anyone was in my yard was the fact it was cleaner than it was the day before!!! I highly recommend Dave Miner Exterior Improvements. Dave made a stressful decision easy, answered all my questions, did the job at a great price and of coarse the work was just first rate. If you are looking for an honest contractor who will answer all your questions and do an outstanding job look no further

Description of Work
Stripped one layer of shingles and installed new roof on my 7 room cape

05/12/2015

Jeff A.

Dave and his crew are very professional in all they do. They have roofed 2 homes for me over the last couple of years. They did what they said they would do on time and within estimate. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Installed new roofing on home.