Specialized Rigging & Tree Care

Founded 1989 • With Angi since April 2009

P.O. Box 304

Hingham, MA 02043

We are an owner operated tree care company specializing in the craft of professional tree climbing. We pour 25 years of accumulated and refined talent into each shrub, small or large tree we prune or safely remove. Our mission is to help preserve the dignity of trees and the tree care profession one customer one tree at a time....

05/22/2020

Derek O.

Amazing! I have been using Jay and his team for the last 5 years. Every time he comes I am blown away by his knowledge, his care in explaining his thinking, his love of his work, and the fastidious nature by which he does every job! He just finished a pruning job for me, which was spectacular and he just planted 7 trees for me as well. I've had a lot of work done on my 100 year old house and property and Jay and his team are the only vendor I've used more than once. Every year when I need tree service, pruning, or planting I call Jay! He is simply the best person around for small jobs, big jobs, or anything in between. Thank you, Jay, for another job extremely well done!

Description of Work
Trees removed and trees planted

02/23/2019

Nancy R.

Very professional and knowledgeable

Description of Work
Pruning of a crabapple tree

10/15/2018

Betsy K.

Specialized Rigging was the first firm to schedule a visit, offered the best price, and when we accepted, scheduled the job within a few days. The apple tree had several large, dead or rotten branches removed, but amazingly, still looks like itself. Pruning in the front yard was very selective, and it looks great. They chipped the branches and cleaned up well.

Description of Work
The huge, old, and overgrown apple tree in our back yard badly needed pruning. We also wanted the Japanese maples and a rhododendron in our front yard pruned.

08/15/2018

Christine N.

Very pleased. This is the second time we had them. They are the only ones I will ever have!

Description of Work
Trimmed many trees and large bushes.

03/22/2018

Ciara M.

Excellent. Responded quickly to my enquiry, provided prompt written (email) quote which did not change. Communication was timely and professional, they arrived on time, did the work and cleaned up beautifully. Would definitely hire again, and do not hesitate to recommend them.

Description of Work
Remove large, old tree, trim 2 large mature trees, prune ornamental tree

03/02/2018

Maria I.

Jay is an aborist committed to the health of your trees. He and his workers work fastidious. We are thankful when we brought up a concern, Jay was back later to take care of it. Thanks!

Description of Work
Trees Trimmed: Red Oak reaching wires, Hickory Oak getting heavy on top shadowing house, Birch with some rot, and another birch tree with major branch over neighbor's property. Trimmed trees and judged health of all. Neighbor was happy to hear about our help.

11/13/2017

Curt C.

I spoke to the owner Jay who was very polite and professional. He sent Mike over to look at our tree right away. Mike was the size of Paul Bunyan, highly knowledgable and was able to provide an estimate on the spot. I received a formalized quote via email that evening. The next day they called me with a cancellation due to high winds on another job and indicated they could be available right away. I took them up on the offer. The crew arrived within the hour. Taking substantial precautions not to crush my hydrangea and other plantings with their massive bucket truck, tree crane and wood chipper. Mike handled a chain saw like a surgeon and methodically dissected the tree limb by limb. Each cut was strategic in nature and entertaining to watch. His crew on the ground cleared brush, chipped and steadied falling limbs with large ropes to avoid crushing my fence, house and themselves. Upon completion they tidied up the yard better than it was when they arrived. I'm very satisfied with their work and I'm already considering them for another job on my property.

Description of Work
We had a large tree with a trunk that was clearly rotten in our back yard. A substantial branch was threatening our home and likely one storm away from snapping at the trunk and down onto our kitchen.

10/03/2017

Colin K.

Excellent. Crew was in my yard at 7:00 a.m.

Description of Work
tree removal, trimming

09/27/2017

Phyllis W.

Jay and the crew were excellent!!! They made sure that the area that the trees were cut down was clear and clean of stumps, branches and leaves - excellent work!!! For the work that was done, the price was very reasonable. I would hire them again and again - great workers!!!

Description of Work
Several trees cut down and removed.

06/22/2017

Kathleen G.

The owner, Jay, is really good at getting you a quote and doing the work efficiently and effectively. They are really top notch.

Description of Work
had two (semi) dead trees really cut back and overhanging branches from property next door cut back. I had used them a couple of years ago and was very pleased. So I called them again. They clean up so well you don't even know they have been there.

04/29/2017

Andrew M.

Jay was responsive, professional, and courteous. Work was done quickly, and done right. He asked me questions throughout the process, and laid out all options.

Description of Work
Pruned an old apple tree, and removed an overgrown bush.

10/03/2016

REMI K.

The two projects went very well and service was quick and extremely clean, if your not home that day, you may not even realize they were working there that day! I would have Jay come back out if needed , and would recommend him to anyone

Description of Work
I had Jay and his crew out to my home twice to cut numerous trees. He is very courteous and professional. He will give you advice on the health of a particular tree and will not up-sell you.

09/20/2016

l H.

Our 55 foot oak tree was removed with a crane and the stump ground. Good service and clean up. Price was competitive. I would use their service again.

Description of Work
Large Oak Tree Removal

07/12/2016

Mila G.

excellent! A++++ I am redoing my previous review because I was on Angie's list looking for a carpenter and I found out that I have mistakenly graded this wonderful tree company F on professionalism. I can't believe that grade came out like that... I am so sorry Jay. It might be because of excitement of the finished service of yours that I mistakenly clicked the F. Fellow homeowners, this company is excellent. I am even ashamed of calling them again and again and again! For sure they would be called back again next year to do my backyard because they are the company that really deserves my trust. I assure each and everyone of you who are considering this company that you would be very happy of their service! AND according to my friends and neighbors, their price is really really reasonable. They are the company whom you would like to work for or work with!

Description of Work
Jay cut 10 trees in my backyard. I am so happy and delighted with their service that I called them multiple times to take care of my yard.

04/12/2016

Marisa L.

Service was quick, they cleaned up, and they gave us some advice regarding other trees on our property

Description of Work
Pruned 2 of our birch trees.

01/12/2016

KAREN W.

It went great. I got a human being almost every time I called. If I left a message I got a quick response. Personable folks. The tree is trimmed way back and will probably be good for a few years. All the debris was cleaned. I got a 10% Angie's List discount. I elected to pay by credit card, so my payment was actually $30 more than listed above. But I could have had it done for $760. This was the lowest estimate I got and I am very happy with the results.

Description of Work
Trimmed a tall ailanthus tree way back, away from our house and neighboring houses. Removed some cracked branches. Removed all debris.

11/10/2015

Bill A.

It worked out great! The owner followed up the next day to see how everything was going. It was great service and they left me with the wood chips so that I could spread around yard.

Description of Work
Tree service

07/29/2015

Mila G.

Jay and Mike has been superb. I bought this house with several big trees in the backyard. Jay and Mike has been very professional dealing with me. Best price for the best service! They are very respectful of the time scheduling and Jay returns your call at once! Thank you so much. You are a part of my new backyard!

Description of Work
Cut and grind 2 trees in my backyard

07/26/2015

John S.

The owner, Jay, promptly got in touch. He came by to help us determine what to have done. He's very knowledgable (as a certified arborist), and friendly, so we felt in good hands. He and his crew showed up promptly on the appointed days and worked hard. The work took the better part of 2 days. It was impressive watching these guys work - high up in the trees, making surgical cuts with chain saws, and safely lowering branches to the ground. They were incredibly adept at avoiding damaging any other plants. We will definitely hire them again for future tree work.

Description of Work
Tree removal and tree pruning. We had a lot of work done - removal of at least 7 large trees (30-40' tall) that were either dead or dying plus several smaller nuisance maples, and pruning of multiple trees, including a large maple close to the house.

07/21/2015

Dustin W.

They were really good. They're just like 80-foot pine trees that I'm afraid are going to fall over. They came out within two days. They had the pricing within a couple of days. They've only followed up one time, just to see how things were going and get an idea. They haven't been bugging me at all. They're very professional. If I do go forward with taking those trees down, I'll go back to these guys. They were very professional and very responsive.

Description of Work
I didn't have them do any work yet. But, I reached out to them because I had some trees that I needed cut down. They gave me a quote.

07/19/2015

Marie H.

Jay and his crew arrived promptly and calmed our nerves right away. My sister and I were a little nervous about the whole process. Jay reassured us that there would be no problems. He was right everything went smoothly. His team worked like a well oiled machine. They were very careful not to damage anything and cleaned every little twig up. All of his crew were very polite and pleasant. We had two really large trees taken down and a really large limb that fell off another tree cut up.

Description of Work
We have not had the work done yet, we will let you know about that later. The owner Jay responded to my request for an estimate right away and came to take a look at the trees that weekend. They were very busy so the work was not going to be done for a couple of weeks, but that was OK with us. Due to our work schedules we had to ask for a later date and Jay was very accommodating. The minute we spoke to him, he put our minds at easy. We do not have driveway access to our yard, he said it was no problem. He told us what he thought about the condition of the trees and was not pushy at all. I will update date this once the work is complete.

06/22/2015

PAT D.

Jay and his crew have done work for me before. I highly recommend them; they are skilled, hard-working, reliable, trustworthy... the whole Boy Scout Manual. They endured this horrible job without complaint, with only occasional muted yelps of pain when stabbed by thorns. They are very friendly and a pleasure to work with.

Description of Work
Removed a massive (about 20' x 8' x 10') overgrown multiflora rose covered with nasty thorns and some small trees. This rose is a cousin of the whomping willow, reaching out to grab passers-by and impale them on its thorns.

05/29/2015

Nadege H.

It went ok I was hoping they would have cut more branches off of the Japanese Maple to let more light come through but they did not. This was probably because I was not present when the job was done. Despite that I think they did a good job. Next time I will make sure I am present.

Description of Work
He trimmed 2 trees on the property.

04/27/2015

Mila G.

Provider left a very clean yard. They answered all my calls on time. Very satisfied and will recommend them to others. I might call them back again for another trees to be cut!

Description of Work
Cut and grind trees

04/05/2015

Dianne V.

The job was scheduled to begin in a couple of weeks but Jay called and told me that the crew would be available April 1 since the weather was to be good. On that date Jay and Mike with a two man crew showed up right on time. Three trees in my back yard which back up on to my neighbors driveway had to be removed one with damage Blue Spruce and two that had been so neglected that they where in terrible shape. All three trees where large but where taken down with no problems to my neighbors house or yard. As the third tree was coming down I asked that a fourth tree also be removed after seeing how badly it looked. Jay came up with a very reasonable price and removed that also. On my side yard I had a very large maple which I did not know had rotted in the middle and posed a very real danger of falling. As that tree was coming down you could see how it had rotted through the middle. That tree also required going onto another neighbors property which Jay got after talking with the owner. Trees were trimmed over my workshop and garage and a pine tree removed that had died. At the end of the first day everything was cleaned and removed. Day two same crew returned and completed the removal of the large maple and trimmed and pruned two trees in my front side yard. I also had some limbs that had fallen during the winter which they chipped for me. I really can not say enough about how friendly and professional the crew was. The work was exceptional and the price very fair in my estimation for what was done. I plan on using them again in the near future.

Description of Work
I reviewed several different tree services on Angies List and decided to call Specialized Rigging because of the great reviews. I spoke with Jay who set up an appointment to look at the trees in my yard and come up with a game plan. Jay was out the next day as promised and did a complete evaluation of all the trees and what needed to be done. Jay is very pleasant, professional and really knows what he is talking about. I didn't just want someone to come in and cut trees but needed advice on what was needed. After an estimate was emailed I called and scheduled the job.