American Discount Roofing & Siding

Founded 1972 • With Angi since July 2003

2 Second St

Framingham, MA 01702

We are a remodeling company prepared to fullfill all of your home improvement needs...

05/16/2013

MICHAEL S.

I chose this company because they had put our roof on the house several years ago. I was happy with them then, and I am still happy. I would use them again and I recommend them.

Description of Work
I thought I might have a problem with the roof or gutter. Dick came out with two of his men, inspected the area inside and outside the house, and determined that i did not. He and his men were professional, courteous and responsive.

02/27/2013

Mary Lou Q.

It went well. The owner was very personable, courteous and knowledgeable. His son headed the work team for the job and the work team was very courteous, timely and neat. The job took as long as it was supposed to and the finished product has been very satisfactory.

Description of Work
We had our 22 year old roof replaced completely.

12/17/2012

Doug D.

He was the only bidder to come over and check out the roof first. He explained what needed to be done and why. Super nice guy, was prompt, and the work was done to our satisfaction.

Description of Work
Dick came over with his crew to repair a rubber roof for us.

06/22/2012

Gerald F.

House (45 years old) needed new roof, and wanted ice shield to prevent ice dam damage (hapened two years before). Also wanted better venting in attic to help prevent future ice dams and any mold on underside of roof sheeting.Owner (Dick Tolan) came out soon after request for quote and looked over the proposed work.Reasonable quote (not the highest and not the lowest).Proposed 5/8" sheeting for more stable roof rather than standard 1/2".His only crew (3 people) started work within two days of proposal acceptance.Work took about 2 weeks, and crew cleaned up yard of debris each day.Very professional work, and easy to communicate with workers.Final job looks great and should last next 20 to 30 years.DEFINETLY RECOMMEND!

Description of Work
Stripped old shingles over entire roof (main roof over 2 story part of house and single story over family room and covered porch).Removed and replaced sheeting over main 2 story part of house. Installed 6 feet ice shield over entire roof.Installed new power vent in main roof.Reshingled entire roof (including new flashing and drip edge).Repaired morter in one chimmney.Installed new venting through roof for two bathroom fans.Installed new soffit vents around entire house.

05/11/2012

Liz B.

He made it seem like doing this would make the roof look good as new. I had gotten several quotes and others who came over told me I should re-shingle the front side of my roof instead of just trying to nail down the few that were popping up bc they might not go down. Replacing just a few shingles would have been obvious and I'm putting my house on the market so I didn't want them to stand out and make someone think there was a problem with the roof. I didn't notice much of a difference after paying Dick $800 and yet, he went on and on about how he thought he did a great job and that it looked fine. I wish I had taken a before and after picture and/or not paid him the full amount, but I was too trusting. This company is the same as American Discount Roofing and Siding, which is what I had originally looked up. When I wrote him a check he asked me to write it to Dick Tolan and Sons instead. That felt shady. Update 05/11/12: I felt that he promised something that he did not deliver.

Description of Work
Dick Tolan got on the roof to nail down some "nail pops" and a row of plywood that made the shingles stick up. Update 05/11/12: When it came time to pay, Dick asked me to write the check to Tolan and Sons, which is a separate company listed in Angie's list. I would recommend that you read those reviews if you are considering this company. I did not have a positive experience with Dick Tolan.

03/12/2012

Donna G.

We were very pleased with our new roof and the shutters and patio door look beautiful. It was a pleasure to work with Dick and his son and we found them to be very professional at all times. My sister had previously worked with Dick and she highly recommended him to me. When we contacted Dick, he came right out and gave us an estimate for the job. We found his price to be very competitive and he was lower than most other contractors who bid on the job. The work was done on time and the price came in as quoted. Clean up was excellent and there were no surprises. The crew tried to inconvenience us as little as possible. So far ...no leaks! Dick was very personable and we enjoyed talking to him and we thought they did a first rate job. We would also highly recommend this company to all Angie's List members.

Description of Work
Dick Tolan and his crew put on a new roof , installed a sliding door and replaced shutters on my single family home.

02/27/2012

Eleanor D.

Very well and I had to admire the fact that it was extremely cold but they still worked right thru it and did a very good clean up job when work was completed.

Description of Work
Replaced existing roof

02/24/2012

MARIANNE W.

Excellent - prompt, job completed on time, thorough clean-up

Description of Work
Roofing on a house

02/09/2012

Donna G.

Work was completed on time and we are very satisfied with the outcome. Actual price of job was true to quote and was very fair . We would highly recommend this company to other Angie 's list members.

Description of Work
Dick Tolan and his son installed a new roof and replaced shutters on my home. Their work was excellent and Dick was very personable and easy to work with. They came when they said and finished in a few days as agreed upon. The clean up was terrific and the house looks beautiful. So far...no leaks! I would highly recommend Dick and his crew and we would rehire him for additional work as needed.

01/29/2012

Thanh N.

I think his price was very high but at the time I was under the gun due to the weather, and couldn't get a second quote or I would have. I do think he does a very good job, but won't know for years - that's when you know if it was installed properly or not. He spends way too much time talking about his personal life rather than the business at hand, and I don't have spare time to waste.

Description of Work
Replaced a 12 x 15 rubber roof. He removed the old roof, installed new insulation, the new roof and edging - I think its called flashing. From the yard it looks nicer than the old roof.

11/26/2011

Kathy S.

They started on schedule and finished on schedule, they cleaned up the work site very well, and I have a dry garage again. Only time will tell how sturdy the roof is now, but we have had a couple of very strong rainstorms since the repair and so far, so good. I found Dick easy to deal with and very responsive.

Description of Work
I used this company for my house roof a few months earlier (which went well, hence me using them again). This was to replace my garage roof, which was in terrible shape, and do a clean out of all the junk that was in there.

11/13/2011

Irene S.

Mr. Tolan did the job in a timely manner but did not give me any paperwork. He also liked to talk about himself.

Description of Work
A simple roof repair. Re-nailed shingles on a quarter of the roof.

11/03/2011

janie K.

We needed to replace the roof on the original part of the house, since it was over 20 years old and we had had ice dams this past winter. I called Tolan & Sons after researching ratings on Angie's List. Dick Tolan responded promptly. We went over all of the possibilities and his recommendations. He thought gutter guards would be a waste of money in my particular situation, although he would do it if I wanted. He did recommend a ridge vent, which we decided to do.. I also appreciated the fact that he did not try to talk me into doing the entire roof at the same time, although a case could have been made for it. At first I was a little apprehensive because of Dick's casual manner and coming up with a hand written estimate on the spot. with no formal presentation or fancy brochures, etc. But because he seemed very knowledgeable and sincere, and the price seemed fair, we decided to go ahead with it. The crew showed up exactly when scheduled. It took 1 1/2 days as estimated. The landscaping was protected and all scrap materials were cleaned up and removed promptly. After some pretty severe weather over the last few months, we have had no problems with our new roof and vent. We were very pleased with the whole experience. I would definitely use Tolan & Sons when we do the 2nd part of the roof.

Description of Work
Replaced the roof in the front side of the house and installed a ridge vent along the peak of the entire roof. Also had a portion of gutter replaced after storm damage.

Category gutter repair, roofing

09/20/2011

Cheryl M.

I was extremely satisfied with the service. I certainly like family owned business, as they would put a lot more care into what they do. They have a father and son team, which is nice. They were quick. They were very responsive when I sent them an email. They got back to me right away via email and then a call, which is nice when we are trying to get something done.

Description of Work
I used Tolan & Sons to secure our loose vinyl sidings within the last three weeks. They also repaired rubber seal that wasn't line inside the gutter section in our backyard. They put the gutter down, replaced this rubber seal coding, and put the cover back up.

Category gutter repair, siding

06/16/2011

Mike G.

They arrived and gave a quote after extensive inspection. They explained each item in detail. They called us a few days before work started as agreed. The supplies arrived the day before work started and were correcdtly placed on our property. They arrived at 7 am and completed the work in a few days as agreed and cleaned up carefully. The dumpster was removed within 24 hours.

Description of Work
Friendly, professional, and prompt service. They replaced shingles on a portion of our roof.

06/08/2011

amir S.

Dick operates under this name, "American Roofing and siding" and also under "Tolan and sons". At the time of estimate and initial consult, he uses the "American Roofing" name but when the time comes to make the checks, he uses the "Tolan and sons". Im not sure whats going on there. Dick promised he will be on site personally each day, that wasnt the case, he showed up the first couple of days and then wasnt seen until it came time to collect payment. Dick promised to replace damaged roof sheathing if any was in poor condition and only replaced when I personally asked him to. There were many areas of concern and he refused to replace it and demanded outrageous monetary figures to replace them. Dick and his crew would disappear on days following snow storms, not because the streets or areas were unplowed but because they were out working on other people's homes clearing snow and ice dams. His un-professional ethic ended up extending the work 3 times the original estimate. Dont fall for Dick's initial humorous talks and political rants. When I asked him to fix issues with the work, he straight up refused and went down the extortion method with me. His attitude is extremely disgusting filled with foul language and racist comments. He does not stand behind his work even though he was paid fully.

Description of Work

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding, replacement windows, skylights

06/08/2011

amir S.

Description of Work
Installed new roof shingles, skylights, fixed some of the front fascia boards, new gutters and some of the window trim. The work performed was ok at best. The gutters that were installed leak. The window trim that was promised to do, wasnt completed. The roofing is complete, but the siding isnt complete, its very very poor work. I had to hire real professionals to do the job.

Category decks, roofing, replacement windows, roof snow removal

06/01/2011

Cassandra C.

We were a little worried because we had seen a not-so-good review on Angie's list and contractor was listed under several names. Their price was so good, however, that we placed faith in the owner's assurances and hired them. They came when they said they would; completed a large roof in quick time, did a quality job and delivered on all their promises. I would use them again and recommend them. I advise you to "hold their feet to the fire" in up front negotiations to be certain they understand your concerns and expectations and get the promise of the owner that they will deliver on all promises.

Description of Work
They completely replaced our roof, including over the sunroom and garage. Also installed an ice shield membrane and new soffets under the eves.

05/04/2011

John F.

Didn't return my initial call for several days (later said that he had been swamped with work), but once we made contact, things went quickly and smoothly. As several others have said, owner tends to be excessively talkative, but knows his business.

Description of Work
Replace section of gutter that had fallen off during storm, repair some associated damage.

Category gutter repair, roofing

03/28/2011

MARK D.

They did a really good job on the roof. It is a 2500 sq. ft. house. We have not had any complaints. When we had an issue after they completed, they came out within twenty four hours and fixed it to our satisfaction with no problem. They were responsive. The owner was pretty talkative, but it was not a big deal. We would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
American Discount Roofing & Siding removed the old roof and replaced with new asphalt shingles. They also worked on the flashing around the chimney.

Category roofing, chimney repair

03/17/2011

Constance B.

Dick Tolan responded to my request for estimate in a quick and timely fashion and I had a detailed, hand-written estimate that outlined the work and the prices at the end of estimate time. (Dick does not use e-mail to communicate.) He was clear about the range (2-3 weeks) as to when the work would begin and how long it would take. He stayed in communication about the start date which was within the range. He also communicated via phone about deliveries and dumpster arrival. The roof work went well. I only saw the workers once and they were polite and clearly focused on they work. The roof and flashing work are fine so far despite the tough winter. Though I have not inspected all the gutter helmet installation, that which I can see, indicates that they were adequately, at best, installed and not all of the gutter corners were covered. The clean up was good. Now that the snow has melted, there is a few stray shingle bits and a few nails revealed in the bushes adjacent to house. The driveway, where the dumpster was, is clear. Dick was efficient and accommodating is picking up the final payment check (no credit cards accepted). In all, I would recommend the company because of their price was slightly better that all other estimates and their responsiveness great and work were solid.

Description of Work
Roof replacement; striped shingles; put in ridge vent; did flashing for chimney; put on owner provided gutter helmets on gutters.

02/16/2011

JENNIFER G.

Did they get the snow and ice off the roof? Yes. And for the price we agreed upon. They were friendly and showed up on time. I'm not happy that they left our doors and garage bays blocked. Mr. Tolan told me that snow removal wasn't part of the deal and I said that I understood, but I found out that all other contractors used by my neighbors automatically removed the snow from the doorways and garages, so I'm disappointed that I didn't know this ahead of time. My husband found the Tolans on Angie's List and so I can't complain too much because I didn't make the deal, but I won't be calling the Tolans again and will be sure that I'm the one hiring the contractor next time.

Description of Work
After all the winter storms, we hired Dick Tolan to come and take all the snow and ice dams off of our roof. He gave us a quote over the phone, came and did half the work, then told me that he'd be back the next day to finish because the house was bigger than my husband had been able to express over the phone. Fine with me. Then he told me that he was going to honor the price he'd quoted my husband over the phone, but that he would have estimated a much larger amount if he'd quoted us a price in person. He was personable and I felt like he had integrity, so I called Dick later and offered him another $200 to make up for the work. He agreed, said he was pleased and that he'd be out the next day. Mr. Tolan and his crew came early the next day and finished quickly. I paid the bill and was happy with the work. However, I later found out that every other contractor removes the snow from the doorways and driveway -- the Tolans left every single entryway, including our garage doors, totally blocked with snow. He left one of the garage bays *kind of* clear, but I still had to get a shovel out and clear it to get my minivan in for the night. He called a week later with an estimate on the gutter that had fallen during one of the storms, and it's twice as much as my other quotes.

Category decks, roofing

09/27/2010

MJ B.

Excellent overall. The work was done quickly and well. We've had 2 big rain storms since the new roof went on and the roof has been fine. Others have mentioned that Dick tends to talk, which is true, but I didn't find it to be such a big problem. He is very knowledgeable about building (and other things!). My only small quibble was the hand written estimate. It didn't seem too professional, but the job came in right on the estimate and that's what counts. No surprises. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Replaced a 30 year old roof, fascia boards and gutters. Instaled a ridge vent. New lead flashing around chimney. Installed a Verilux sun tunnel.

Category gutter repair, roofing, skylights

09/15/2010

George I.

the house was built in late 1800's and the March Storm beat it up pretty bad on the back side Dick (the Owner of Tolan and Sons roofing ) came out gave me an Estimate( one of many) also taught me some Tai Chi while discussing the roof, I,m partially disabled. His Estimate came in almost 1300.00 less than the lowest I received, I went with his Co. and I couldn't be more happy!!! My Mom is 88 yrs old and confined to the home , the Crew started at a Decent time and worked thru the Day as to not upset her with Loud noises, they were Curtious and at the same time Highly Professional, Very Neat , they cleaned the whole Yard and and even went over it with a Huge Magnet on Wheels to pick up all the Stray Nails. they took extra care in Demoing the Kitchen Wall with Plastic barriers Very little dust come thru. I need much more work in the future and will gladly let them back in my home

Description of Work
the Work done was totally strip back part of the Roof ( 24 ft wide x 30 ft tall smaller roof was 10 ft x 12 ft ) removed a 17 ft x 9 ft Kitchen wall to open it up Lead flashing around Chimney to stop leaks , they used 30- yr Rated Shingles the job was completed in about one week I am very Happy

07/31/2010

Richard S.

Perfect, showed up on time and finished in 6hrs. Clean up was great and didn't find any nails or other debris on the ground.

Description of Work
Strip and re shingle raised ranch. covered up old roof vents and installed a ridge vent.

Sylvester Electric Inc

As the country depends more and more on computers and other forms of automation to make life easier, dependence on electricity sees an equal increase. So when some part of your home’s electrical system begins to malfunction, you need a team that can correct it efficiently, and you need to be able to trust that the job was done right. The team at Sylvester Electric knows that this trust is extremely important, because of the potential for hazards in the event of poorly done work. However, their team of Dracut electrical specialists have been serving their community for over 30 years, and they are highly skilled in all aspects of electrical work. From home safety inspections and maintenance to outlet repair and breaker replacement, even wiring and installing things like ceiling fans, generators, lighting fixtures, and home theaters, this team is committed to providing the best possible quality in all work they perform. Call today to find out more about how they can help you!

Offers by Sylvester Electric Inc on Angi
    EAC Masonry & Landscaping, Inc

EAC Masonry & Landscaping sees every day as an opportunity to provide the North shore MA area with fantastic service. Our goal is to grow every day to better serve our clients.We have years of experience that make all the difference in our work! You haven't benefited from a real lawn care service until you've tried ours.Our team members work hard to make our customers happy with the final results of our labor. Beautiful walls and walkways are just a call away.

Color Matters Painting, Inc.

"We are a company of home improvement that aims to offer a good service with a good price. Our commitment with quality has more than 14 years. We guarantee our services with a 3 years warranty and we are fully insured to serve you better. Our goal is to make your life simple letting you feel that you can count on us when the question is renovation."

Check, Visa, MasterCard
    %10

ROOFING, ICE-DAM REMOVAL, SLATE REPAIRS, SIDING, WINDOWS, NEW CONSTRUCTION, RENOVATIONS, ADDITIONS, PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, HANDYMAN SERVICES, PLUMBING & ELECTRICAL.