We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We offer estimates and quotes using video calling

Tom Sawyer Painting Inc.

Founded 1985 • With Angi since April 2007

205 Mount Auburn St

Cambridge, MA 02138

Offering an array of paint services in the Cambridge, Waltham, and Metrowest areas. Check out our website, give us a call or send us an email. ...

08/01/2020

Ellen E.

They did an excellent job. The whole team was professional, friendly, easy to work with, and paid attention to everything that was important to us.

Description of Work
Scraping and painting the window trim on the whole two-family house, as well as front and back porches and a gate.

Category decks,pressure washing,woodworking,house painters

05/28/2020

Susannah P.

Tom Sawyer Painting did such a great job painting the exterior of our house. It has been a year now and it still looks great! Their team (from their carpenter to their house painters) were wonderful. Always on time, hard working, and professional. We had some extensive carpentry work that needed to be done before the painting could start and their carpenter was knowledgeable, friendly, and thorough. There were two men who did the painting and they were here from 8 am to 5 pm every day until the job was done, spending time on every detail. The cost of the project was lower than with other painters we got quotes from. We would definitely recommend them and would hire again in the future.

Description of Work
Exterior house painting

Category woodworking,house painters

05/25/2020

John D.

Tom came out promptly to look at the work and was prompt in delivering his bid which turned out to be very reasonable. He had to wait awhile as other bids did not come in quickly. I caught him at a busy time, so the actual work was done by a long-time employee of his, Antonio, and another worker. They did a great job and were quite efficient, given the complexity of the paint scheme. They also did a great job refinishing our wooden deck which had not weathered well.

Description of Work
Scraping and painting the exterior of our 100+ year old victorian house, also refinishing and staining a wooden deck.

04/15/2020

JACQUELINE M.

Our house hunting ended in 1986 when we walked into the nearly 100 year old Victorian in Cambridgeport. Despite being a bit drab in colors of off white and fading grey inside and out, we could see the solid bones of the house and the beautiful features special to homes of that period. We knew immediately this was where we wanted to live and raise our children. Over the next 34 years the Victorian lady became our painted lady with various colors of blue, red, and white on the outside and walls of yellow, blue, and green on the inside. When it came time to sell our house we recognized that she needed a cosmetic makeover, colorful walls not being to everyone’s taste. The dints and scratches in the lovely wood left by energetic young boys needed some work. In looking for a painter we wanted someone who appreciated the house and could understand our desire to prepare her for another family to live in and perhaps love as we did. We found that in Tom Sawyer Painting Inc. The biggest surprise came when the owner Tom Lindsley walked in and said “I know this house.” He had been with the team of young people who originally painted our house in 1987. They got what we wanted then and Tom got what we wanted 33 years later. He provided a very detailed explanation of his estimate, which I appreciated. He listened, made sensible suggestions, and got to work, despite the timing being the beginning of the pandemic and the ensuing lockdown. He coordinated his work with that of the flooring group and the restoration finished exactly in the timeframe we had envisioned, even with the restrictions needed to control the spread of COVID-19. The outcome was remarkable. Every room looked clean, fresh, and stately. Where the woodwork had been painted previously, they revived it with fresh coats. But best of all, where others had told us that the old woodwork throughout the house could only be painted over to hide the scratches, Tom’s team was able to restore it with skillful filling and staining. It looks beautiful. His team went above and beyond by helping clear the basement of rubble left by the masons. Tom was responsive, always answering his phone when I called, patient as we went over paint colors whose differences were very subtle to me, and thorough as we did several walkthroughs. In a time that could have been very stressful Tom was reassuring and calm. I cannot recommend him and his team highly enough.

Description of Work
Painting entire interior and refurbishing the woodwork

Category woodworking,interior painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed], I appreciate your kind words and working with you almost 4 decades.

10/30/2019

Alister L.

Tom and his team painted the entire inside of our old house in Cambridge and did a fantastic job, especially with the trim and plaster work. Recently Tom Sawyer Painting came back to paint and treat the columns and woodwork on the front porch, and again the work was top-notch. Tom is a pleasure to work with, and his team members are always on time, work carefully, and perform spotless cleanup. We have recommended them often, especially for those with historic homes, and we would continue to do so.

Description of Work
Interior and Exterior pain

08/12/2019

Michael M.

It went great! They gave me the best quote out of all the places I looked

Description of Work
Painted the exterior of my home

06/11/2019

Bruce L.

They did both exterior and interior work for me. They gave a thorough estimate, went over everything. Came when they said they would. Cleaned up. Did a professional job. A pleasure to have around.

Description of Work
Both interior and exterior painting

Category house painters,interior painters

05/29/2019

Luka S.

excellent workmanship, Tom excellent project manager

Description of Work
residential exterior paint

03/25/2019

Vassili T.

It was an absolute pleasure dealing with this company. Tom is courteous, responsive, and knowledgeable. He checked in whenever he encountered issues with the carpentry (they replaced shingles, as well as a deck that was rotting) that might alter the initial estimate. The pricing was very fair, the quality of the work excellent. Tom suggested the colors when I explained what I wanted and his suggestions were perfect. His crew cleaned up after themselves every day and the project was done within the time specified. I will absolutely use them again.

Description of Work
Painted the entirety of the house exterior, as well as performing carpentry repairs

Category decks,gutter repair,house painters

03/14/2019

DANIEL F.

I wish I could give an A+! Tom Sawyer Painting did a fantastic job. There was a lot of prep work involved, and they went above and beyond my expectations. The attention to detail was superb. Painting was done right up against antique woodwork, which they left completely unblemished. In fact, they helped remove paint from a previous job (more than 20 years ago) and found some stain that matched the woodwork. They are now my go-to guys for all of my painting needs.

Description of Work
Interior Painting

Category interior painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed]. Glad you appreciate our work.

11/16/2018

Lauren S.

He seemed very nice and perhaps would have done a nice job, but he failed to put the date and time we agreed to meet at my new place (email exchange verifies this) and therefore didn’t show up. Time was of the essence for me so I passed on setting up another date with him.

Description of Work
I was seeking an estimate to have my new condo painted throughout nefore I moved in.

11/09/2018

Irina G.

Highly professional, skilled, easy to communicate. My kitchen walls and ceiling look now much better than they were after the painting job performed by the previous contractor who did my kitchen renovation.

Description of Work
Corrected rough painting of the kitchen made by another contractor during kitchen remodeling. Painting a wall in the basement.

Category interior painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed]. I appreciate you taking the time to rate our work.

10/02/2018

Audrey B.

Tom was great - all the work was done in a timely manner, everything was cleaned up, and the painting looks wonderful. My deck has never looked so good. A pleasure to work with.

Description of Work
Garage door painting, carpentry to fix wood rot, deck and bulkhead painting, miscellaneous exterior painting

Category house painters

Hi [Member Name Removed], So glad you liked our work, and thank you for the review! -Tom

01/30/2018

Bruno C.

Crew is prompt, clean, and you can tell they have worked together for many years. Job went so smoothly. Kitchen is back exactly like they found it (they took pics). Feels brand new!

Description of Work
Carpenters built a new fireplace mantel. Then painters sprayed all the kitchen cabinets smooth. The entire family room windows look so sharp. All hardware looks crisp.

Category gutter cleaning,pressure washing,woodworking,house painters,interior painters

08/01/2017

Betty S.

Tom Lindsley, the owner, was fantastic to work with --he's very personable and honest. He visited a few times to inspect what was being or had been done. The painting crew was wonderful, respectful, and careful with my property. Every day the head painter would fill me in on what had been done, what remained to be done, etc. The job was done beautifully, and we're very pleased.

Description of Work
Painting the exterior of my home.

04/09/2017

Jacqueline O.

Superbly. Tom Lindsey helped us to know how we could touch up the house without having to reprint areas that were still in good shape!

Description of Work
Exterior painting of home

Category house painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! pleasure working with you all these [Member Information Removed] years! -Tom

02/28/2017

stephen J.

Tom's crew did a great job, professional and courteous, cleaned up after themselves each day, open to my comments and requests.

Description of Work
Painting 3 rooms, incl replacing crown molding, prep and clean up

Category woodworking,house painters,interior painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for the review!

02/22/2017

Steven A.

Excellent. The whole job was treated with extreme attention. Start to finish the crew gave attention to completing a perfect result. The Apartment was left spotless. Always happy with Tom Sawyer !

Description of Work
I had Tom Sawyer do a lot of work on my house this past summer. Everything came out fantastic and the house looks incredible.There was just a little issue with the downstairs ceiling. Tom resolved the problem quickly and with such professionalism. Tom's crews are the Best out there ! Tom Sawyer Painting is outstanding !

02/18/2017

Veronica M.

They were very responsive and professional over the phone. I was very pleased by how quickly they were able to provide a quote and come in to do the work. The work they performed looks great. They removed the nasty old wallpaper from my walls, patched them up, and primed and painted them. they also painted all the trims and the ceiling. They were also kind enough to paint the ceiling in a small bathroom for me even though it wasn't part of the originally planned job. They were very accommodating and did everything for a good price!

Description of Work
Tom Sawyer Painting removed wallpaper from a bedroom and patched, primed, and painted the walls. They painted the ceilings of two rooms.

Category wallpaper removal,interior painters

02/08/2017

MeJo W.

Excellent. Professional, clean and would highly recommend them!

Description of Work
Painting and crown moulding installed on full first floor interior - kitchen, living room, family room, hallways and bathrooms.

Category drywall,handyman service,woodworking,house painters,interior painters

Tammy B.

Tom and his crew transformed our outdated and drabby bathroom into a timeless and beautiful room. It's the first room we step into each morning as we get our day off to a fresh start and the last room we step out of before retiring to bed each night. Needless to say, the bathroom is a room that our family wanted to be filled with light in the morning while setting the stage for tranquility at night. The old, square, light pink tiles have been replaced with classic subway tiles and the walls painted with Benjamin Moore Dove White. Glass tile divides the tile and wall while adding an accent of ocean blue. They did such a professional job repairing the areas of the wall damaged by the old, removed tiles. The ceiling paint has stood up to the moisture and still looks brand new (the work was done a year ago). We replaced 2 doors which they also painted and the finish has survived much use. Giovanni and Bruno were always pleasant and polite, no matter how meticulous or taxing the work. They were also very knowledgeable in all aspects of their craft. Tom made sure to check-in with me either in person or by telephone at every stage and personally inspected the work throughout and at the end of the project. We are so pleased with their work and professionalism that we are using them for our upcoming kitchen renovation.

Description of Work
Bathroom Renovation

Category ceramic tile,drywall,interior painters

Thank you . Look forward to working with you again on your kitchen expansion.

Charmaine W.

The bathroom looks great and I will be using their services again soon. It was a great experience.

Description of Work
I needed my bathroom repainted for an updated look. The crew that came over were great and vert professional. They did a great job and I could not be any happier.

Thank you for reviewing us [Member Name Removed]

Pamela R.

Went very well. The rooms look great!

Description of Work
Repair walls, install insulation and paint after damage from ice dams.

Category drywall,interior painters

Thanks [Member Name Removed], Glad we could make the place warmer by insulating too for you. Hope it is nice and toasty this winter.

02/06/2017

Molly F.

It went extremely well. The workers were efficient, tidy, and did an excellent job. Tom was very attentive to the job and helped with the choice of colors.

Description of Work
I needed the interior of my condo painted.

Category interior painters

Thank you very much for the review!

01/06/2015

Andrea R.

They were excellent to work with. I would highly recommend them. They were very prompt and courteous. They were professional and kind. They knew a variety of different products to use.

Description of Work
They painted the interior and exterior of the house and some other minor work in the house.

Category handyman service,house painters,interior painters

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review. So glad you liked working with us and hope to see you soon. -Tom