D & R Construction

Founded 2011 • With Angi since August 2012

Call us Today!!! With over 100 years of combined experience D & R Construction offers a wide range of residential and commercial services. Our focus is on client satisfaction and providing high quality work at a fair and affordable price. Many construction companies have a set hierarchy where owners, project managers, and employees each fall within their respective category. Here at D&R we challenge that hierarchy set up. The owner gets just as dirty as the laborer, and the carpenter gets to know the client just as well as the owner. At D&R we all work together to be the BEST decision a homeowner ever made! We look forward to earning your business....

general contractors (15)woodworking (12)interior painting (11)drywall (8)door installation (7)basement remodeling (4)house painting (4)handyman (4)decks & porches (4)tile installation (4)cabinet refacing (3)home remodeling (3)

09/25/2021

Saroja L.

I worked with the company about three years ago after a major water leak. They did a very good job. I worked again with them this year on two projects. One of the projects went well. The second project did not go well. I spent approximately $8000 fixing a leak. In one of the major rainstorms a few weeks ago, I noticed some water damage in the exact same area that was fixed. I called Eric a few times and also sent a few emails. It became clear that he will not be speaking with me about this issue.

Description of Work
damage in my basement from a water leak

Category contractors, drywall, picture framing, plastering, home builders, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 08/18/2021

09/22/2020

Natacha N.

Eric's team rebuilt our entire three season room, which was not functional. It is now, thanks to Mike and Brian. It also looks very good! Mike works hard at getting things done, and teaches the younger crew very well. He is structured and trustworthy. He also was patient answering my questions (I always have too many..!). Brian pays great attention to detail! I was impressed by how good the tile work looks, and also how good the finishing of the decking to the landing looks like, which he did. They also had to partly redo the patio, and it looks better than before.

Description of Work
Trim and there season room

Category ceramic tile, decks, drywall, flooring contractor, picture framing, gutter repair, insulation, landscaping, remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 09/22/2020

08/30/2018

Margaret L.

D & R Construction was one of 3 contractors that we contacted for quotes for remodeling work. We were looking for someone to help with knocking down walls, gut renovating a kitchen and two bathrooms, as well as doing flooring and some work in bedrooms. This review pertains to the quote process. Eric Dutra was very responsive and professional throughout the process, offering insight and past experience as part of the quote. Furthermore, he gave a very detailed and transparent breakdown of the pricing on a line item basis. The pricing seemed very fair and jived with other quotes. we received. We ended up selecting another contractor due to time constraints, but would certainly look at D & R Construction for any future work.

Description of Work
Remodeling and joining of two units in 3-family home

Category ceramic tile, drywall, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 08/30/2018

09/18/2017

Amy S.

We recently completed a kitchen and bathroom renovation and are very pleased. Having previously practiced construction law, I was particularly impressed with Eric's communication skills, responsiveness, and willingness to answer any and all questions we had without getting defensive. I think that is a rare quality in the construction profession. His crew Mike and Dave always were pleasant and friendly with my kids and me in the mornings and were incredibly hard workers - working through that awful heat wave in mid June and finishing the job on time.

Description of Work
Kitchen and bathroom renovation.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/30/2017

08/27/2017

Emily B.

Eric was patient with the permit delays. Mike was very professional and customized to our preferences.

Description of Work
New deck, where none existed previously, lining up with recently built patio and slider.

Category decks

Work Completed On 08/24/2017

07/21/2017

Ruben A.

The work took much longer than expected (4 months) and we ran right down to the max on what our home owner's insurance would allow for us to be put up in a hotel. D & R worked to fit us in around a lot of other jobs and this made it difficult to get much done quickly or more than 1-day per week of work in. One subcontractor was unprofessional and refused to do work he had agreed to causing us a 3-week delay. D & R was open with communication of setbacks or concerns, which we appreciated, and eventually replaced the subcontractor. Overall I am happy with the work. Some small details might be improved in the finish work. For example, there are some small lumps in some drywall patches that the painters might have finished better and one section of ceiling paint that did not match the rest of the ceiling. The flooring was replaced on the entire second floor (apx. 800 sq feet) and they did a great job with this especially considering they had all the furniture to contend with while they did the work. They provide a guarantee for a year for their work. The owner is responsive to contacts and pleasant. I would hire them again.

Description of Work
My condo had a plumbing flood and there was a lot of damage to walls, floors, and ceilings. D & R Construction gave us a very reasonable bid for the work. They were very responsive to all contact and friendly.

Category drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, insulation, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/20/2017

12/22/2016

Sean F.

Eric and Tom are passionate about the work they do and clearly love it. They listened throughout the project, were able to make suggestions and help us to be comfortable with work being done in our home - which is key when having any type of construction work done at home. Trust. Frankie is awesome and talented. Three projects done with great satisfaction - more in the future as we plan our kitchen and bath renovations and other work. They haven't forgotten the small jobs AND return phone calls and emails. We are very happy with D&R.

Description of Work
Front porch enclosure: D&R finished our front enclosure, added a new exterior door, new windows, insulation, and a mailbox slot. New framing was required for the door and the finish work on the inside was done beautifully. New windows were added, replacing the old, broken jealousy windows. The ceiling was opened to expose the beams and add space. On D&R's recommendation we added some trim work to give the space a nice finished look. The custom built mail slot provides added security and our mail person is very happy with it. We also replaced two interior windows (living room) and love the windows they suggested using. Prior to this, Eric and Tom did some finish work in our second bathroom, added a storm door, replaced a rotted board on our back deck enclosure, and recommended and added a light fixture to the overhang, and a custom banister on stairs.

Category drywall, picture framing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 10/01/2015

12/22/2016

Tracy C.

Basement project: We met with Eric and he was our point person for the whole project. He and his team couldn't have been better. We were ripped off by another contractor a few years prior to this so to say we were gun shy was an understatement. Eric definitely made us feel comfortable with the whole process. The 2 guys who came in to do the carpentry did an excellent job, always included us on decisions, cleaned up after themselves, and were very personable. The quality of work was better than we could have ever imagined and the space looks awesome. They had to do some demo and redid a wall, added shelves and laid a floor. They stayed on track and on schedule and we felt the price quoted was fair and worth every penny. The second project was exterior about a year later. We needed so panels replaced and repainted. Once again, on time and cleaned up after themselves. Its hard to find a contractor to begin with and one that is honest and takes pride and cares about their work is a gem. We'll definitely use them again.

Description of Work
We've used D & R twice now. The first time they finished our basement and the 2nd time they did some exterior work on our house

Category contractors, drywall, remodeling, house painters, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 09/20/2016

12/21/2016

Nadia S.

The job was done smoothly and on time I was very happy with their work!!

Description of Work
D&R remodeling my bathroom they did a fantastic job!!

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 09/01/2016

12/21/2016

Alexander C.

We were very impressed with the team from D&R. They were polite, punctual, and respectful. They were happy to work with us on resolving several details that came up. For example, when they found some of the planks that were so warped they couldn't be re-used (which we knew might be the case from the beginning), they took the time to show us how and why. D&R completed the new deck on schedule, and the quality is quite high. We've had plenty of compliments on it. I'm happy to recommend D&R. I have recommended them to friends who are also happy with the work they did, and I'm re-hiring D&R to remodel my kitchen cabinets this winter as well.

Description of Work
When my wife and I bought our condo two years ago, the only outstanding issue was the front porch: it was only supported by a pair of 2x4s balanced on cinderblocks. Definitely not to code. So the porch was drooping and needed to be rebuilt. After finding quotes from multiple contractors, we settled on D&R. Their pricing was in the middle--neither the cheapest (which was from a sketchy contractor who constantly flaked on showing up to do the estimate), but less than the highest (from a well rated contractor but clearly charging a steep premium).

Category contractors, remodeling

Work Completed On 12/08/2015

12/20/2016

Michael H.

The various projects with them have gone well. I'm proud of the joint custom projects which incorporate creativity and complexity. I'm pleased that their open to my ideas and what can be done. I'm glad that they know a lot of what I don't know. And I'm delighted they're successful not only with me but a growing clientele, and recommend them without any question. Make sure, as in projects with any contractor, that communication is excellent. You will be satisfied. They are in business for the long haul. I have a growing business, cre8stay, and I hope they can be an important part of my future growth and success.

Description of Work
Over the last 5 years or so, I've come to rely on D&R/Tom & Eric, for all my construction, renovation and remodeling needs. As they were new at the beginning in setting up their practice, I tested them with a small project. Over the years, the scope has varied, from cleanup to custom craftsmanship to fixing previous people's works to brainstorming on possible improvements. I have come to rely on them. They can deliver, very rare in the construction business, on the big three: good (quality), fast (prompt/punctual) and economical (price). They handled all my work until a local reputable architect recommended I use his contractor for a complex new deck. I went with his recommendation, and it was a fiasco. When that contractor left me with inept work, D&R, stepped in to clean up their mess and fix the situation. They are very honest, very energetic/hardworking, very thorough & flexible, yet very humble. Their humility is good because they know what they know, and what they don't know and are willing to learn what they don't know as much as possible. A joy and comfort to work with.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, picture framing, handyman service, remodeling, custom furniture, woodworking, cabinet refacing, doors, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 04/15/2016

Review for D & R Construction - 52 Berkshire St, Cambridge, MA - 34162320

12/20/2016

Michael H.

Work Completed On 04/15/2016

Review for D & R Construction - 52 Berkshire St, Cambridge, MA - 34162322

12/19/2016

Sean F.

Eric and co are the best - attentive, listen, give their professional advice, and just do a great job. The project went really well - repaired water and bug damage and fixed what was originally done in a not so great manner. Our third successful project w/ Eric and team. Very pleased

Description of Work
Porch repair/water damage

Category decks, picture framing, remodeling, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/01/2019

12/17/2016

Sean F.

Eric and co are the best - attentive, listen, give their professional advice, and just do a great job. The project went really well - repaired water and bug damage and fixed what was originally done in a not so great manner. This is our third project with D&R. Always pleased.

Description of Work
Porch/enclosed room repair

Work Completed On 08/20/2019

12/16/2016

Matt F.

The job went well. Eric came over intially and laid out the timeline for the work. Then Tom and Don arrived to measure the windows and write up an estimate. They listened to what I wanted, ordered the right amount of materials, then finished the work on time - with no budget overuns. I'm curious about contruction. They humored my interest and took time to explain why they choose a particular way to do something. Even made some changes I requested without fuss or hesitation. The work they did increased the value of my home and made it look much nicer. You can trust these guys. They can work independently, checking in only when necessary, or satisfy a person like me who has lots of questions. They were late once or twice but It wasn't a big deal. Tom, Eric, Don, Frankie and the guys they subcontract have have years of combined experience. They are nice guys.

Description of Work
I had windows on my back porch and third floor replaced, attic spaces built out as insulated closets, and the removal of an in-law apartment. My co-owner and I had some rotted wood replaced on the garage, she also had a storm door replaced.

Category contractors, remodeling

Work Completed On 09/09/2016

12/16/2016

Greg F.

Right off the bat, I was impressed with D&R, because they returned my call quickly, and showed up on time for the initial consult. I feel like many contractors are too "big" or too "busy" for smaller residential jobs; it was the opposite with D&R. I always felt like my jobs, regardless of the size were handled with great attention to detail and to my satisfaction. The pricing was fair and the communication was good about the scheduling and progress of the work. All workers were courteous and professional and I couldn't be happier with the results. As a repeat customer of this business, I feel confident recommending their work.

Description of Work
D&R has performed a variety of services for my home on 2 separate occasions including flooring (leveling subfloor, installing flooring), carpentry (builtin cabinet/shelving), sheetrock, and exterior work on siding and fascias.

Category contractors, flooring contractor, gutter repair, remodeling

Work Completed On 08/01/2016

Jan P.

The extension of the deck was solidly built and matched with the old deck perfectly. The cat enclosure (or catio) was a work of art and my cats love it! To see it go to "Jeana's Dirty Dog Salon" in Cambridge where a picture is posted. Great work...

Description of Work
I wanted an extension to my existing back deck with railing to match what was there. Also design and build an enclosure for my two large cats with a ramp from a second floor window with a cat door built to the window.

Category contractors, remodeling, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/10/2016

Jan P.

D&R were great. They did an excellent job with this project, and the floor and walls looked like new, seamless connections and fine finish work. They installed a floor that would allow water to drain beneath the floor to avoid future damage. I was very satisfied and have had no leaks since this work was done.

Description of Work
Due to water damage to flooring and walls in my garage and basement room I had to have the floor taken up and replace as well as having several walls rebuilt, plastered and repainted.

Category contractors

Work Completed On 04/01/2014

Jan P.

D&R did a seamless job of repair and the painting matched perfectly with the ceiling. You would not know that there had been a pipe there at all. Excellent job.

Description of Work
I needed to have a stove pipe removed from ceiling of my home which has cathedral ceilings. The work involved removing the pipe, patching the hole left, plastering, sanding and then repainting the area.

Category contractors, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/04/2016

Wilfrido S.

We were very pleased to see the back deck. That changed our home functionality and made it very beautiful. It is very nice to have a deck to relax on and use that part of the house without being afraid of falling off the crumbling cement stairs we had before. The house really stands out the neighborhood with the new paint, and with the repairs it needed. Lastly, the front stairs made a huge difference on the looks and on the functionality of the house. Great job!

Description of Work
They demolished the concrete stairs on the back awning. I asked them to build instead of the stairs a 8' x 12' deck. This deck should be made of composite materials instead of wood. The project included many miscellaneous repairs in the house which were replacement of rotten wood sides and window sills. On the front of the house, they had to replace the existing wood front stairs with composite material and to put the stairs up to code. Also, the job included scraping the paint of all the house and paint it completely and change the trim colors to match the deck and front stairs.

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 10/01/2016

Review for D & R Construction - 52 Berkshire St, Cambridge, MA - 34128660

Tara M.

D&R did a great job on all of our projects. The materials used were top-notch, and the work was done quickly and professionally. They are quick with estimates and go the extra mile to answer any questions you may have. I will definitely hire D&R for future home projects.

Description of Work
We had several projects, including baseboard installation, vintage door knob replacements, and replacing a bathroom window.

Category remodeling, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 11/07/2016

Margaret O.

Great work - highly pleased with their services.

Description of Work
Multiple - interior painting and general woodworking/carpentry/remodeling/handyman work.

Category contractors, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/15/2016

Emily A.

Back room looks beautiful! During demo, room was sealed off from rest of the house to keep dust and debris contained. Tom and Eric always made sure things were cleaned up at the end of the day. Kitchen project, my husband and I picked cabinets out and T & E worked with us and were great when we needed modifications to make it all work. They were here longer than expected and that was due to some surprises on our end and they handled it amazingly since I'm sure we upset other timelines for their next projects! The price was very reasonable and approximate date was end of May 2015.

Description of Work
We had kitchen remodeled and back room gutted and redone due to severe water damage.

Category remodeling, interior painters