Rare Restoration - Village Green Renewal

Founded 2008 • With Angi since March 2012

242 Washington St.

Brookline, MA 02445

Village Green Renewal, now known as RARE Restoration, has graduated from it's early roots as a small repair shop to a full service restoration facility. While we now focus primarily on antique furniture, we still maintain our original service list that includes the repair and restoration of lamps & lighting, porcelain dolls, antique toys, music boxes, caning, statues, frames, vintage locks and nearly anything else that could use a little help from the experts! Come on in to our shop in Brookline Village and poke around, you'll be glad you did. :)...

05/08/2017

Tanya B.

Awesome. My initial concern was cost, as they seemed to be more of a vintage restoration shop, and that usually means expensive. I was pleasantly surprised that they were perfectly happy to fix my trimmer cord, and the entire job came out to around $25. They replaced the cord, cleaned out the dust and the mouse poop (ick) and greased whatever parts needed greasing. Afterward, Seth made sure it powered up and even took it out back to run a field test on some branches in the yard waste pile. It worked great - better than new, actually. I've been using it for a few days and my hedges are regaining their curb appeal. Thanks, Rare Restoration!

Description of Work
Mice got into the garage over winter. They were cute, they were fuzzy, and they ate the cord end of my hedge trimmer. Which was just out of warranty (naturally). Rare Restoration was highly recommended by a friend, and well reviewed online, so I tried them out for the repair.

Category handyman service

05/04/2017

mitchell M.

The stove handle was a miracle!!!! I still don't know how Rare Restoration accomplished this amazing feat. I've had them repair extension chords, lamps and they came to my house to repair my snow blower. Their prices are very reasonable. In some cases like the extension chord I could have bought a new extension chord but it was repaired to perfect condition and kept it out of the land fill.

Description of Work
My house was built in 1964. It is decorated in that motif. Everything was in "mint " condition except a handle that had broken off from my built in original double oven. I was so annoyed! We have lived in our home for 17 years and I tried at least 10 times to get the handle repaired or replaced without any success. I brought the handle into Ceth and his team at Rare Restoration and in 4 days they found a way to repair the handle and restored the oven to its original PERFECT condition.

05/04/2017

Emily C.

Today, I picked up my newly rewired lamp from Rare Restorations. Seth came out to greet me, to follow up with the work done, and to answer any questions I may have had. I asked generally how the process was completed and he walked though the steps. He is very knowledgeable about the mechanics and how to preserve the aesthetics of a piece of work. I appreciate his time and work and highly recommend Rare Restorations!

Description of Work
I brought in a lamp to be rewired.

05/03/2017

Peter H.

These guys really know what they're doing! Seth and crew are top notch and really make sure everything looks great, is strong and sturdy! Could not recommend them more. Plus, the shop is awesome! Run in and have a look, you won't be disappointed!

Description of Work
Fix chairs and table

Category furniture repair,lamp repair

Kathryn S.

Village Green Renewal (now "Rare") exceeded my expectations. Excellent workmanship, polite, professional staff, beautiful end result -- all at a very reasonable price. One more note: it can be nerve-wracking letting a treasured heirloom, or irreplaceable antique out of your sight, but owner Seth Barrett and his staff were super conscientious and respectful about how they handled the table and the whole transaction. I couldn't be happier--and I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend Village Green Renewal/Rare.

Description of Work
Refinishing and repairing an antique Middle Eastern table

Category furniture repair

Tom C.

Seth and crew did an outstanding job! Looks better than the day we got it. Highly recommend them to do any type of furniture repair.

Description of Work
Needed a mirror stand repaired. The mirror was part of a bedroom and my wife really wanted saved.

Category furniture repair,woodworking

GWEN O.

Seth very deftly reconfigured the pieces, built a wood frame to support the aluminum outline, cut a new piece of red plexiglass and threaded LED lighting throughout. It's an amazing piece of reconstruction and glows brightly as the centerpiece in my living room. I would absolutely bring any restoration work to Village Green and highly recommend this business a every opportunity.

Description of Work
I gave Village Green some of the parts of a lighted sign from an old grocery store. After being stored in my basement for ten years, the remaining pieces were broken & scratched and not really recognizable.

Category furniture repair,lamp repair,woodworking,antiques

04/30/2017

Barbara K.

They were great! Skilled, honest, excellent work!

Description of Work
Restoration of an heirloom lamp and handyman services.

04/30/2017

Jack M.

It was fixed perfectly and timely! Really felt like they handled my beloved bench with care. Also called around for other pricing but this was the cheapest for the amount of work needing to be done.

Description of Work
Had a very broken bench fixed and it looks amazing.

Category furniture repair,handyman service,woodworking,antiques

10/11/2016

david J.

A real, honest to goodness parts/repair shop for pre-electronic period items, an excellent resource for homeowners living in housing pre-dating the mid 20th century, I recommend viewing their website to better understand their scope of services. Located in the heart of Brookline Village, Brookline, MA.

Description of Work
Parts/repair of antique door passage set

Category handyman service

08/22/2016

Rachel S.

I mentioned that I would be leaving town in two weeks and they rushed the job so that it could be finished in time. The price was very reasonable.

Description of Work
Wooden cane-back chair needed repair

Category furniture repair

02/16/2015

Hugh D.

They are very efficient and timely in responding. I have been pleased with their work.

Description of Work
I have used them multiple times for odd repair jobs. They charge $100 an hour.

Category handyman service,woodworking,interior painters

09/08/2014

Maggie S.

The gentleman I spoke with was very pleasant but I just had no need for their services. I did find them very personable. The prices were fine for someone who doesn't know their way around a toolbox.

Description of Work
I needed to have a lamp repaired.

08/19/2014

Maria S.

They were very friendly, yet professional. Very helpful when I called to get general information about location and parking. Gave me a good tip on parking (across the street in a loading zone). They gave us a good explanation of what they were going to do, a time frame for completion. They were ready when they said they would be. I thought it was rather a lot of money to put 2 new switches in lamps. They explained it was complicated with a floor switch, but still.......

Description of Work
They removed the "touch-on" feature of 2 floor lamps and replaced the floor switch with new floor switch.

08/07/2014

Jonathan P.

Several months ago, an old wooden toy that my daughter loves broke; Village Green folks fixed it quickly for $5. Several months later, the other side of the toy came out (not the side that they'd previous fixed), and although the amount of time necessary to fix the new problem really cost $25, they kindly agreed to do it for half that amount, given that I'd brought it in before. Seth and John were incredibly responsive in calling back and getting the work done. The toy is completed restored, much to my daughter's joy. I should say, on another note, that I've called Village Green over the years about other jobs and on the rare occasions when the job I needed done was not what they do (for example, repairing/cleaning leather), they have very generously recommended other places to contact that do that kind of work, or have even offered advice about how to fix it myself. How many other places would do that????!! I can't recommend these folks highly enough. I will continue to contact them whenever I have a repair or reconstructive job to do, big or small.

Description of Work
Fixed an old wooden toy that is my daughter's favorite

09/22/2013

Melissa D.

After initially great service, the encounter completely fell apart when I went to Village Green Renewal in person. I was referred to them by my locksmith as a place to find a replacement for my antique spindle door knob. The locksmith gave me the information he thought I'd need to provide (entrance door with a 2 inch width). I took pictures of the door and sent them to Village Green. A very friendly employee exchanged emails with me. They didn't have an exact match, but believed they could find something close and told me to come in when the owner was there. I let them know I was planning to come on Saturday, September 21 and the person I was emailing with said that would be a great day because the owner was there all day. I drove over from Belmont to Brookline on Saturday as planned. When I arrived the person at the shop (presumably the owner) said it was a beautiful door knob and he was sure he could help us find something that would work. At that point he told me I needed to take apart the existing door knob and bring it to him so he could find the correct replacement. I expressed my frustration at hearing this for the first time -- had I known he needed to see the door knob I would have brought it with me. Now my trip to Brookline was wasted and I would need to find a time to return with the knob. I told him I was surprised that the employee I emailed with didn't mention that I needed to bring the knob. He told me he needed the knob to be sure he sold me something that would work -- while I appreciate that he didn't want to sell me the wrong thing, I had really tried to get ahead of the curve with this purchase by contacting them in advance and would have expected to be told I needed to bring the knob. The person at the store then told me he and quot;wouldn't take the scoldingand quot; and if I didn't want to come back I shouldn't come back. Needless to say I won't be going back. Even a tiny apology or acknowledgement that my frustration was justified would have been enough to bring me back. The complete lack of an effort at customer service was surprising and incredibly disappointing. Seems they have enough business they don't need to worry about being polite to customers.

Description of Work
I attempted to purchase an antique door knob to match one in my renovated home.

Category antiques,doors

[member name removed], I'm sorry your experience here was less than optimal. I hope the discouragement didn't last, and that you have found the parts you needed. Here are some tips for customers who need help with their door hardware, hopefully this list will help to prevent unfortunate time loss scenarios such as [member name removed] experienced. 1) Although antique door lock technology is not complicated, it does have many different generations and adheres to a wide variety of standards. Therefore, when shopping for components, please come as prepared as you possibly can, so as not to waste the trip. Helpful inclusions are: photos, measurements, existing parts and even a rubbing of the lock and knob area using a piece of tracing paper and a charcoal. 2) When calling ahead, please understand that you will be speaking with a manager and not with a technician. As such, there may be some technical aspects that are not fully covered during the conversation. The person you speak with will most likely suggest that you come to the shop and speak directly with a technician in order for us to best understand your specific needs. If dropping by the shop is a hardship for you, please state this during your initial communications, so that we may make the necessary adjustments to properly assist you. 3) We are good, kind hearted people and try to the best of our abilities to serve the needs of our clientele. Sometimes, unfortunately, our efforts may fall short, or fail to meet a customer's expectations. Every time that happens, we work to better our service in hopes of avoiding future missteps. Please understand however, that if you choose to be unpleasant, rude or demeaning to me or a member of my staff - you will be, as [member name removed] was, asked to leave. - Seth Barrett, Owner, Village Green Renewal

07/03/2013

Jonathan P.

I came by with the toy to see if they could fix it. They said absolutely, and that they would call me when it was done. They called in a timely fashion, and had done a great job.

Description of Work
Fixed a wooden toy for our daughter

06/05/2013

Ellen-Deane C.

They are fantastic. They are the first company that could fix my lamp, after trying to find someone for years. He has done other fix ups for me since - painting, door repairs, etc. They are very nice to work with. If I have a repair, I look to them first.

Description of Work
They fixed my lamp that I have been trying to get fixed for years.

Category lamp repair,interior painters,doors

03/18/2012

Robert S.

The owner came over personally, looked it over and gave me an estimate (which Mr. Handyman of Newton was not willing to do). When I asked him to go ahead, he came again with the mason to explain the job. I was not charged for either the estimate or the visit with the mason. The mason came on time, did an excellent job in filling in cracks and holes, told me exactly what he was doing and gave me some advice on other work (The suggested work is not done by Village Renewal so he was not just trying to sell me something extra.). The bill was almost exactly what had been the estimate. It took most of the morning at $90 an hour which was about the price I had been quoted by Mr. Handyman of Newton.

Description of Work
I needed pointing (masonry) work on our home which has an old stone foundation. . I needed a number of cracks and holes filled in. Some of them involved crawling under very low porches. I had previously used Village renewal for a furniture repair. They did an excellent job repairing an old chest of drawers ( and told me that a chair I had wasn't worth repairing) and rewiring and repairing an old lamp

Category furniture repair,handyman service,lamp repair,masonry

Color Service Painting

Color Service Painting is offering a competitive quality and lasting of finish work with affordable prices to improve your property.

Maguire Masonry

Maguire Masonry provides free estimates and is fully insured. 20 years in business 5% discount for Angie's list members

MasonWorks LLC

MasonWorks specializes in design and construction of all types of stone and brick patios, walls and walkways, steps, decks and porches, outdoor kitchens and water falls, garden and retaining walls. From the first consultation to the final touches of each job, you will be in excellent hands. With more than three decades of experience, MasonWorks will assist you in every stage of the project, from materials choice to furniture selection. Your dream of owning an elegant and relaxing backyard retreat can become a reality. Family owned. Additional contact name - Jeff Souza. Additional e-mail - jeff@masonworks.me. Angie's List Award winning since 2009. Additional area served- Boston Metro, North sure and West

Offers by MasonWorks LLC on Angi
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Check, PayPal

Our services include the repair and restoration of antique, vintage and modern furniture, vintage lamps and lighting, antique lock-work, stained glass, vintage toys and dolls, frames and artwork, sculptures, music boxes, neon signs, and much, much more. We also duplicate or restore most any aspect of built-in home furnishings, including cabinetry, crown moulding, balusters, paneling, doors and windows. As well, our showroom has a fantastic selection of antique door and window hardware!