BURMA DESIGN ANTIQUE RESTORATION & CONSERVATION

Founded 1984 • With Angi since June 2002

Antiques

Maintaining the Value and Integrity of Your Antiques Is Our Primary Concern Voted "Best of Boston" by Boston Magazine, Featured on "Antiques Roadshow FYI" WGBH Public Television...

Restorers Without Borders

COMPLETE woodworking services. Structural repairs to all types of damaged wood furniture items. Stripping and refinishing of wood surfaces. Painting and gold-leafing. Caning and rushing on chairs. Reupholstery. FURNITURE REPAIR PRICE ESTIMATES: $0 if client brings item to our workshop Drop-offs: 10 to 4 (Mon thru Fri) by appointment $100: for on-site house visit within 30 minutes commute time from Brookline workshop). NOTE: On-site house visit fee is deducted from bill if 'RWB' staff does the work Furniture pick-up & re-delivery available (at a fee) Repair jobs done in woodworking workshop and not at client home

10/13/2019

BEVERLY G.

Our conversation and visit with Matt with the tea table in tow went very well. He is very knowledgable and pleasant to work with. I felt comfortable that he would restore the table the way we wanted without stripping off all the finish. The work is being done now so you will need to ask me again when I have the finished product.

Description of Work
We have a antique tea table that needed restoration

06/27/2019

FREDRIC R.

I recently inherited a century old roll-top desk which needed a variety of repairs - both structural and cosmetic. Matt had quite a backlog when I contacted him; this may be due to his very meticulous approach to all aspects the restoration process. My patience was rewarded with delivery of the final product - beautiful to look at and structurally sound. I believe the most difficult part was the complete dis-assembly, restoration and reassembly of the Tambour. This is the part of the desk which actually "rolls" - comprised of many precisely aligned horizontal slats. I would certainly return to Burma Design if I were to come into possession of a similarly valuable piece of furniture in need of restoration.

Description of Work
complete restoration of antique roll-top desk

04/27/2016

jeanne P.

Description of Work
Made new shelf supports for an antique china closet and repaired a chair that had a broken arm. He was very pleasant and explained how he would do the repairs which I appreciated. Work done on time. Difficult to rate price since I did not have any other estimates since I was happy to find someone in the area to do the repairs.

10/14/2015

Robert B.

Description of Work
Repaired valuable family antiques that had been water damaged to a beautiful condition I didn't think was possible

06/09/2015

Katherine S.

Was extremely personable from the start, and very clear about what he could and could not do (couldn't pick up or deliver the furniture, could do the work, but in a certain time frame, if I sent photos, etc). Upon visiting his shop I decided I loved this business. Great location, furniture in every nook and a fabulous Australian sheepdog for company (don't worry, he's well behaved and has a crate). Even though this was not an antique table, and not even that fancy, just a homemade piece made with loving care by a relative, Matt generously agreed to do the work. He fought UPS tooth and nail to help me get my money back. I am so very grateful. And the table functions wonderfully and looks beautiful. Highly recommended!!

Description of Work
Repaired a coffee table with sliding top made as a gift for me by my grandfather. It had a ton of sentimental value and was broken in transit by UPS. Matt handled the insurance claim masterfully with UPS, them masterfully fixed the table.

07/18/2014

leonard B.

Category furniture repair

Dear [Member's name removed] I was surprised to see your review. I have checked and double checked all my files, job estimate forms, deposit invoices and final invoices and cannot find any record of having done any antique conservation for you. I believe you may have my business confused with another restoration studio. If not, please, please call so I can address whatever you were dissatisfied with. As you never contacted me by phone or email I'm at a loss to know how to rectify your disappointment. Ever since the inception of Burma Design Antique Restoration and Conservation 32 years ago, it has always been my goal to satisfy every single client. I believe I have succeeded in that regard given my longevity, referrals and reviews. I look forward to speaking with you, please don't hesitate to contact me at your convenience. Thank you, Matt Burstein

06/10/2014

Lori S.

Description of Work
Matt repaired a small drawer that broke into pieces when it fell on the floor. He had to replace a piece of wood that broke off completely. He did a great job. The punctuality score reflects that it took a bit longer than he expected, but he did give me warning up front that he would have to put the job in the queue. I would HIGHLY recommend Burma Design, Antique Restoration & Conservation. If you are able to wait, Matt's professionalism and skill are well worth it.

09/15/2013

Lori S.

I feel fortunate to have found Matt, shortly after relocating to Cambridge. Although, he has a backlog of projects, he was willing to put my drawer in the queue because it was small & wouldn't take up space. He was up front about the time it would take for him to get to the project, but he fixed the drawer beautifully. Matt is enthusiastic, passionate and a true craftsman. And, he has a fine four-legged partner, Cisco, who is certain to greet you with a friendly tail-wag. Finally, if you have any interest in fishing, you'll also enjoy chatting with Matt, as he is also enthusiastic & passionate about fishing.

Description of Work
Matt repaired a small drawer that required refitting the component parts, as well as rebuilding some wood pieces that had been shattered when the drawer fell on the floor.

08/23/2009

LISA F.

Couldn't have gone better. Matt is a very trustworthy individual and down to earth. A real find.

Description of Work
I inherited an antique mahogany server from my grandmother last winter. It has a lot of sentimental value but it was in terrible shape and I thought that I would have to throw it away. The drawers were broken, some hardware was missing, and the veneer was peeling. The finish needed work too. Matt came promptly to my house after only one call- no extended phone tag- and we discussed all the restoration options. He was friendly, professional and very knowledgeable. No hard sell, very informative. He brought photos of other projects and offered references if I wanted them. He helped with a mover to move the piece and was very flexible around scheduling. The finished piece was beautiful and totally beyond my expectations. The repairs were invisible, and looked like it did 40 years ago. Amazing work. I am very happy and feel like I got an excellent value for the money spent.

BURMA DESIGN ANTIQUE RESTORATION & CONSERVATION

Founded 1984 • With Angi since June 2002

65 Sprague Street EAST Bldg. 2nd Floor, Hyde Park Artists area

Boston, MA 02136

Voted "Best of Boston" by Boston Magazine. Featured on "Antiques Roadshow FYI" We are a well established antique furniture restoration and conservation studio providing a full range of services: color and finish matching, missing parts fabrication and replacement, veneer repair and replacement, cleaning, polishing, finishing and (if necessary) refinishing. Maintaining the value and integrity of your antiques is our primary concern. Serving New England's furniture conservation needs since 1984.

ARCHITECTURAL STRIPPING. Chemical furniture stripping. Upholstery