We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We offer estimates and quotes using video calling

Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling

Founded 1999 • With Angi since May 2012

121B Tremont St

Boston, MA 02135

At Bay State Refinishing and Remodeling, we’re experts in improving homes throughout the Boston area. Our local home refinishers and remodelers have been working in the area for two decades and know Boston homes and commercial spaces. Our award-winning team is fully licensed and bonded with the experience needed to get the job done. We will do everything we can to exceed your expectations. Our team of craftsmen, designers, and contractors are experts in every aspect of refinishing and remodeling, and can help you improve your home. You’ll love our unmatched attention to detail, eye for design, and most importantly, your newly remodeled home. We’re committed to delivering superior results and a great experience. Whether it’s our high-level of customer service, environmentally-friendly methods, or award-winning craftsmanship, you’ll be glad you worked with us....

07/07/2022

Emily M.

This was our second bathroom remodel with Bay State. As expected, they did an amazing job. They are extremely responsive, subcontract to reliable and skilled workers, and are communicative about the process. They set up appointments for us at all the relevant vendors, and made sure we had everything before starting the project. Whenever anything went wrong they made sure it was remedied. Thanks in particular to Marcio who gave us tips and opinions along the way about particular finishing details. And to Andreina who kept us informed of the day to day schedule and any other details we needed to have. Would 100% hire them again.

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodel

Category countertops, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, wallpaper, home remodeling

12/09/2021

Dan H.

Great job by the Bay State team on remodeling our bathroom! From Sabrina helping us with the initial design, Andreina and Carla running operations, and Marcio, Darly, Paulo, David and the crew doing a stellar job taking the old bathroom apart and putting it back together. My one regret has nothing to do with Bay State - it's not ordering all of our fixtures first and having them in hand before actually starting the project. Had we done that we would have avoided some painful delays caused by supply chain/shipping issues. Lesson learned!

Description of Work
Full bathroom remodel

Category ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, glass repair, interior designers, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

09/16/2021

Nicole L.

Working with Bay State was a dream and I couldn’t recommend them more highly. I never would have thought that working with a contractor could be so easy! We did a complete remodeling of our bathroom and we couldn’t be happier. It is now a beautiful, usable space and even though we were working from home the entire time and it was a major project, they minimized the disruption as much as possible. From the start they made every piece of it as easy as they could for us and laid out exactly what they needed from us and what to expect. Our designer, Sabrina, also came up with an idea to change the layout to maximize space that I never would have thought of on my own. We worked with Marcio, David, and Paulo, and they were all amazing and kind. They took the time to explain what was happening at each stage and gave excellent recommendations. Their communication was truly exceptional—Andreina gave us weekly updates and the entire time we were very clear on what was happening when. Andreina and David were available via text the whole time and if anything popped up they dealt with it ASAP. Also, the cherry on top, they were done ahead of schedule. In the future for any major projects I will be going straight to Bay State!

Description of Work
Complete bathroom remodel

Category home remodeling

08/19/2021

Jean-Francois B.

I worked with Bay State for a complete bathroom remodeling and my experience with them was outstanding. The bathroom was fully functional within the time frame they estimated, which is a feat during a pandemic. Sabrina made sure all the materials and finishes were in place before the work started. Because it is the only bathroom, David worked with me to get a functional toilet installed as soon as possible and even responded to my texts on the weekend when something came up. Marcio and Paulo did awesome work and listened to my concerns and requests. Special mention to Andreina who was in constant contact with me to let me know what would happen when and relayed all my concerns to the subcontractors. This team clearly has customer satisfaction in mind. They will definitely be on the top of my list when I decide to pull the trigger on the kitchen!

Description of Work
Complete bathroom remodeling

Category ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, glass repair, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling

07/31/2021

Benjamin S.

We are happy with the finished product. Paulo, in particular, did excellent work on the bathroom and wood trim, always addressed our input, and made sure the project stayed on track. I think the company, overall, could improve some on communication regarding project details and scheduling, especially early on, but we appreciated Andreina and Marcio checking in and keeping us in the loop as much as they could. We also appreciated the quality of the subcontractors brought in for electric and plumbing work (Jonathan the electrician, and David's Mr. Fix It Plumbing).

Description of Work
Full third floor remodel that included a new bathroom.

Category remodeling

07/12/2021

Emily M.

Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling did such an amazing job with our complete bathroom remodel. From start to finish they were super organized, letting us know step by step what to expect and what we had to do on our end to keep the process moving. We picked out all our own fixtures/finishes, but they helped with that by scheduling showroom appointments and providing the sales people with spec sheets detailing what would fit/work in our space. When it came to the actual construction, they took care of every detail so we didn't have to think or worry about anything. The project took about 6 weeks start to finish (this was down to the studs remodel), and was 100% on schedule. The work itself was great, we especially appreciated Darlee who did the tile and installation. Marcio helped us plan the tile layout and gave some suggestions which I appreciated. They were all very professional and courteous (we did live in the space throughout the construction process). I would definitely work with them again and recommend them. You may pay a bit more than managing the process yourself, but well worth it in my opinion.

Description of Work
Full bathroom remodel

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, glass repair, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

03/15/2021

Frank H.

Contractor never showed up and never called. They had me block out 2 hours of my time. Wasted my afternoon waiting. I called and they just said, he was too busy, do you want to reschedule. My answer "NO".

Description of Work
Bathroom Refresh - Refinishing, new vanity, floor, toilet

Category bathtub refinishing, home remodeling

We appreciate every feedback that we receive. You called us on Friday 3/9 asking us to accommodate an estimate based on your schedule to take place on Monday 3/12 between 2-4. Unfortunately, we couldn’t comply with YOUR schedule on such a short notice and a formal appointment was never set up. We wish you all the best.

02/18/2021

Lori T.

I did two full bathroom remodels with Bay State. They were great to work with from the beginning - within a week of signing a contract, Andreina came over to measure the spaces, talk through design choices and set me up with appointments to choose fixtures and tile. The crews that came out to do the work were all very professional. The project manager, David, stayed in constant contact by text message, answered all my questions, and accommodated my last minute requests and made sure any issues were handled immediately. The crew (David, Marcio, Darly, and Paulo) did a fantastic job in all the details - everything looks really good, and were fantastic about masks and keeping folks safe from Covid throughout. The plumbing and electrical crews they brought in were great as well. Bathroom 1 completed fully on-time, and bathroom 2 was delayed only by an underlying structural problem uncovered. Bay State was fantastic about setting up a consultation with a structural engineer and offered a great price to do the work themselves to keep everything moving as quickly as possible. I'm extremely pleased with how the project turned out - both bathrooms look fantastic, and I got every item on my original checklist of what I wanted out of a remodel. I appreciated their support and advice throughout the design and decision process, as well as a flawless implementation. They weren't the cheapest, but the price was fair, and the work excellent.

Description of Work
Two bathroom remodels

Category countertops, drywall, glass repair, interior designers, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, interior painters

10/26/2020

Jane M.

Great job. The technician was Joshua Fernandez. He was on time and polite. He prepared the whole bathroom prior to work. Everything was protected from overspray. He methodically worked for four hours prepping, sanding and then painting. I would highly recommend Bay State Remodeling and especially Joshua.

Description of Work
Tub reglaze

Category bathtub refinishing, architect

10/14/2020

Kate S.

Bay State Remodeling and Refinishing completely transformed our third floor from an unfinished attic to an incredible playroom/guestroom. When we bought our house eight years ago, we always knew that the third floor would be a project that would improve our house and provide more living space, but the finished product is even bigger and nicer than I had imagined. Now it’s the only place where our three little boys ever want to play! Not only did I find all the members of the Bay State team to be kind and professional, I really appreciated how willing they were to add extra touches along the way, and to provide honest feedback on what would be the most cost-effective version of what I wanted. Our “team” of Ray, David, and Marcio, made it clear throughout the process that they valued me as a customer and wanted the project to be exactly what I wanted. I definitely plan to use Bay State again for future projects!

Description of Work
Third Floor Renovation

Category remodeling, architect

07/17/2020

Diana T.

Shower looks new - great job; and the service was fantastic.

Description of Work
Reglaze existing fiberglass tub/shower

Category architect

05/29/2020

Thomas T.

Jose from Bay State Refinishing did an excellent job re-finishing an old cast iron bath tub in a home we recently purchased. The prior owners had performed a non-professional re-enameling with an at home kit, leaving areas where the finish had puddled and pooled and an overall uneven surface that was starting to flake. While the estimate was higher that quoted initially due to extra work for the non-professional prior work, overall the work was excellent. Jose worked hard and explained the process. He was very thorough with his work. Overall even though the price was higher than expected, the quality of work is evident.

Description of Work
Refinishing/Re-enameling old cast iron bathtub

04/23/2020

Alana B.

Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling came recommend from a dear friend of mine and I could not be happier with the work they did. They renovate my master bathroom. The entire team (plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc..) led by David (contractor) were amazing. Marcel is one of the nicest people I have ever met and can do almost anything that has to do with home renovations. They were always on-time, very professional and even helped me deal with a difficult neighbor. I have recommended them to friends who are planning home renovations in the near future. I highly recommend them and will definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Category architect, home remodeling

04/23/2020

Alana B.

They did an amazing job. I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
Bathroom Renovation

Category architect

03/12/2020

David H.

Bay State Refinishing was able to restore two bone colored fiberglass tub and shower stalls to a like new bright white finish in less than a day. Frank, Bay State Re-finisher, arrived on time and began preparation for refinishing both rooms. He lined the fiberglass surfaces with painter tape and masked all area to prevent over-spray damage to cabinetry and all faucet fixtures. Frank thoroughly prepared the fiberglass prior to applying a primer coat. After the primer thoroughly dried, he sealed the door entry and installed an exhaust fan to dispel any paint fumes. Frank applied a two part epoxy white gloss finish with a spray gun. The finish was fantastic. Please realize that there was a strong odor outside the rooms while the epoxy hardened. We were able to significantly reduce the odor with our air purifier place outside the room doors. The odor was gone the following morning. We allowed the paint to thoroughly harden for two days and we removed and disposed all paper coverings and painter’s tape. Although the floors for the tub / showers were initially slippery, the traction increased after a few showers. If you are concerned about it, ask Bay State Refinishing about options to apply a roughened floor surface. We are very pleased with Frank’s attention to detail and the refinished tub / showers.

Description of Work
Refinish two separate fiberglass bathroom tub/shower and shower stall.

03/02/2020

John G.

We just completed a bathroom renovation with Bay State’s team and had an excellent experience. Having an older home, we were anxious about doing a big renovation for fear of any surprises - the Bay State team was up front about what we could expect, and more importantly, what we could expect any surprises to cost us. They were respectful of what we were trying to accomplish in the space and didn’t pressure us into any expensive materials or options. One of the reasons we were anxious about doing a big project was the convenience and timing; being in Somerville, we were aware of how tough it can be to get inspections done and get the project moving. David and Kami kept us in the loop on when the inspections would take place, and we never lost a day of work because of waiting. More importantly, as someone who works remotely, they were incredibly respectful of my space and made sure that our toilet was put back after every day of work. Darly, their onsite guy, was especially helpful and did incredible tile work. Additionally, everyone they brought in to work on the project was professional and efficient, and were often in and out within a day. Jonathan, their electrician, did great work with a really old home and old electrical. We were anxious about a project that could span over 6 weeks for a small bathroom, but Bay State got it done in just over four weeks, with no delays and no surprises. I’d recommend them for your bathroom or home. We love the work they did at our home and are glad they’re who we went with when moving forward on the project.

Description of Work
Bathroom Renovation

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, interior painters

02/10/2020

Juliana B.

We hired Bay State Remodeling and Refinishing to help with the refinishing of our tub and had I known how big of an impact it would make, I would have done this project sooner. Jose basically transformed our dirty/stained tub into a brand new, clean, inviting tub and the cost was incredibly reasonable, as was the turnaround time from start to finish. I worked directly with Kamal to get pricing and schedule the appointment, which was a very quick and efficient process. And the day of, Jose came on time, did an excellent job on the tub (it basically looks brand new), and was thoughtful and thorough with his cleanup and detailed explanation of how long to let things set and what products not to use (and what to use) for cleaning the tub moving forward. Very happy with the result.

Description of Work
Bathtub Refinishing

11/05/2019

Ritesh K.

Let me begin with, i totally recommend this company for any renovation needs you might have. I have done a few renos and this time it changed my perception of what a construction company is supposed to handle a job. They showed up on time everytime (from quote to finishing up) and had a team that would handle anything thrown at them. I did a full home gut reno with 4 new baths, kitchen, new electrical and plumbing and didn't have a single issue 6 months into living in the home now. Professional team that knows what theyre doing.

Description of Work
Full home gut reno

Category bathtub refinishing, closet systems, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, interior designers, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters, floor cleaning, basement remodeling

10/24/2019

Kyle B.

We hired Baystate to gut remodel our Master bathroom, which included expanding into an adjacent closet, creating a new walk in closet and moving an exterior door which accessed our roof deck. Along the way we added a few smaller projects such as refinishing another bathroom's tub, and blowing out the mud room in our entrance way to bring in more natural light. The whole team (Uri, Marcio, David, Ray, et. al) were very respectful and professional throughout the entire process. As you can imagine with a complex ever-changing agenda, it was a long and arduous process, and not without set-backs. But their understanding and ability to work through the issues were not only professional but incredibly appreciative as well. They did what they said they would do at a high level of craftsmanship, with an open line of communication throughout the process. We've worked with many contractors on different properties that we've owned from small projects to big, and Baystate is at the top of the list. I've already recommended them to friends looking to entirely gut remodel new purchases. That referral says it all.

Description of Work
Master Bathroom and closet expansion and remodel

Category bathtub refinishing, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

08/30/2019

karen l M.

Excellent great person. Does his own work. 5stars plus

Description of Work
Resurface bath and walls

Category bathtub refinishing, countertops, interior painters

08/24/2019

Brendan R.

Some months ago we decided to have our two small bathrooms remodeled. We live in a very early 20th century house which was initially a tile factory and we are reminded daily of some of the myriad problems associated with such an old and odd dwelling. I suspect that it must be close to fifty years since the bathrooms were last renovated. We received estimates from a number of contractors. We decided on Bay State after meeting with Ray Y, the owner of the company, who impressed us with his professionalism and commitment. In addition, we consider that the estimate he provided was very fair and appropriate. The work began in late June 2019. Every step of the way Yuri, the project manager, efficiently organized the various stages of the bathroom remodeling from demo day to the finish product. He was always available to talk about the project, present the different options, troubleshoot, and answer questions with a smile. We were abroad for awhile in the middle of the renovations and Yuri reached us by text and phone when needed. He was everything, and more, that one would wish for in a project manager. David, another manager, also provided superb guidance during the work. He was excellent at assessing and solving fast and judiciously any problem small or large. He and Yuri were a great team orchestrating a complex ballet of competent craftsmen who all did a splendid job. There was Dino the electrician, Shimon and Mike the plumbers, Paolo the painter, Paul the glass specialist for the bathtub enclosure, Francis who renovated the hardwood floor next to the bathroom, and Marcio, the framing specialist. Interacting with them all and with their teams was a pleasure. But the artisan we got to know best was Darly, a very talented tiler and carpenter. Part of the Jack and Jill bathroom is located in a dormer under the roof which made everything more complicated, in particular the installation of a barn door. Darly worked with admirable patience and great skill until it hung and closed just right. All personnel were excellent and are to be recommended. So, we have a brand-new bathroom with which we are very happy. We now look forward to the renovation of the second one this fall. It’s likely that it too will pose some challenges. However, we are confident that Bay State will meet them expertly and that we will have a beautiful second bathroom. A very strong recommendation for Bay State. Brendan & Simone

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodeling

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, lighting, plumbing, replacement windows, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

08/15/2019

JAMES K.

This summer I had Bay State remodeling and refinishing redid my bathroom. The people at Bay State were very friendly and courteous Bay State did the demolition of the bathroom, gutted it to the studs, they also converted the bathroom closet to a washer and dryer space, they did the tile on both floor and bathtub surround and installed vanity and two sets of closet doors, shelving and window. Through the process communication with the project manager Yuri was excellent. Yuri and the plumber were up to any challenge that came during the project in specific with the full size washer and dryer installation on the closet. Bay State kept my townhouse clean during the project and disposed all the building material upon completion. Bay State helped me with the material selection and ordering process, also when the material arrived they made sure that everything was complete and in good condition. My new bathroom now looks AMAZING; it’s such a joy now to walk in to it The staff in the office and on site was professional and did excellent work. Special thanks goes to Yuri the project manager and Darly (tile professional), Shimon Aviksis (plumbing) and Dino (Electrician) for their work in making it look great I would definitely consider using Bay State in any future projects in my house and recommend to all friends and family.

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodeling

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, glass repair, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, interior painters

07/31/2019

Bob E.

Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling has been great. I recommend them very highly. They were fantastic to work with. While we just wanted our bathroom redone, our 103-year-old building demanded more work and created challenges which were not expect. Bay State Refinishing and Remodeling addressed them all. First, the bathroom turned out better than expected and Bay State put together a great team: David, Yuri (Supervisors), Darly (tile guy), Marcio (carpenter), Jonathan (electrician), David "Mr. Fix It" (plumber) and Paul (glass guy). They even brought in a painter and someone to sand our floors at the last minute at our request. We had major issues that were unexpected and needed to be addressed like decaying joists, plumbing that was falling apart, and knob and tube wiring that had to be replaced. They addressed all of these unexpected issues and built us a beautiful new bathroom. During the project, we decided to have the wiring in our entire condo redone for safety reasons, which they did quickly. This included the tearing down of two ceilings and then a third one when it was determined it might come down at some point on its own. They seemed to do it all, and we only had to find another place to stay for three nights due to the bedroom ceiling that was close to falling and the floor work. They went above and beyond what we expected and although we had to pay for the extra work we added, the bathroom came in on budget. I am glad we went with them!

Description of Work
Bathroom Redone

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, glass repair, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters, floor cleaning

06/19/2019

Timothy H.

They did a great job on our bathroom! We have no major complaints, and the process seemed reasonable for a gut rehab project. Price for all labor was in the middle of the 3 quotes we got. We got a $1K break for having work done over the holidays. We did have a few small overages not specified in the contract, which was not surprising. Given the work implicating the walls, they recommended a gut rehab and new walls. Not much more expensive than the lower estimate, so we said yes. The work started as planned on the intended start date. Due to Boston permitting we had 2-3 weeks waiting on inspections. Most work was finished in 2 months. (It might have been shorter, but Thanksgiving, Christmas, and our travel added a few weeks). Yuri and Darly were very responsive throughout. To keep things moving, they even asked if we'd be open to having the shower door measurements taken on Christmas Eve morning, before we left for a week. (We were!) Once or twice they showed up when we were not expecting it, but overall communications were excellent. They kept things as tidy as reasonable throughout. The work looks fantastic!

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodel: Gut-rehab of 1 bathroom (conversion of tub to walk-in shower, new everything), and floor re-tiling in the half-bath.

Category bathtub refinishing, home remodeling

06/17/2019

Jeffrey H.

Excellent from start to finish, and the new bathroom looks great. Everyone was friendly, helpful and accommodating. On budget and, with some delays that weren't Bay State's fault, on time. I was so satisfied, I just hired them again to finish part of my basement.

Description of Work
New bathroom

Category ceramic tile, countertops, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, marble & granite, home remodeling