B&B Unique Remodeling

Founded 1991 • With Angi since April 2006

45 Fairlane Road

Boston, MA 02132

Improve the value and function of your home with kitchen remodeling from B&B Unique Remodeling from Boston, Massachusetts.

02/12/2015

Rob D.

I contacted Scott via a recommendation from an acquaintance to give me a quote to re-do a shower and potentially do other work around the house. I was pleasantly surprised when Scott showed up for his estimate appointment and followed up via email a few days later with an estimate. This is when things went down hill. I wanted to hire Scott, so I called him, texted and emailed him to give me a call, and I had a few questions asking for references etc. He did not respond back with any reliability and when I was able to get him on the phone the excuses on why he didn't get back to me started coming. I chalked this up to him being inundated with weather related issues and I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We agreed he would drop off a contract to me so I could get on his schedule. The day came and went and no contract was dropped off. I left him a voicemail on his phone asking him when he would be able to do it and I heard nothing. A week went by and I called him again, (today) and he answered the phone. Once I identified myself, he said "how are you?" and promptly hung up. I am a pretty reasonable guy, if you don't want the job for whatever reason I am ok with that, just tell me. To act in this unprofessional manner and not do what you say you are going to do is downright dishonest. I am just glad no money exchanged hands, because I doubt the work would have ever been done if this is an indicator on how B&B does business. I hate giving bad reviews to people but if you cannot even call me back and tell me you can't or do not want the business, others need to know. It's surprising because he comes so highly recommended, and he gets great Angie's list recommendations. Just a red flag here.

Description of Work
Gave estimate to remodel a shower

08/29/2014

Michele R.

I met with Scott. Right off the back, I got a sense that he was honest because he went over all the details of the projects including possible trouble areas. The other contractors I spoke made it sound the project was a easy project and required a huge deposit prior to commencing any work. The kitchen was old and outdated and there were many problem areas including electrical work that needed to be fixed once walls were torn down. Without a deposit, he was available to answer all of my questions and he came over to the house multiple time to go over the plans. This was important to me, because other contractors in the past, just wanted to give u a quote and get a commitment and rush out the door. Once I hired them, they kept me up to date on the status of the kitchen remodel and gave me reasonable dates regarding completion of the project. The work is high quality at a reasonable price. I love the materials they chose for me and quality of material. I love the kitchen new look. It went from a small kitchen to an open space concept. Most importantly I feel that this kitchen is going to last for years because of the quality workmanship and the attention to details that was put into this project. They were very meticulous and it looks great!!! Definitely hire again. +

Description of Work
Complete remodel of an old outdated small kitchen area. He expanded the kitchen and updated to an open space concept. He updated appliances and gave my kitchen a complete new look.

Category electrician, remodeling, home remodeling

02/12/2014

peter D.

The water damage was so severe that the house had to be completely gutted from top to bottom. When I write top to bottom I mean from attic to cellar. The house was as gutted to the point where it looked like it did when we purchased it. All studs. The hot water and furnace ran for 2 days before it was noticed, we were on vacation. Ceilings and walls collapsed. Our hardwood floors were warped and almost all the furniture damaged from water and steam.. You name it and it was damaged. Now the process. We interviewed 4 contractors and 3 of them said no problem we can do it by the insurance adjusters figures. Not Mark!!. When Mark came to us the first thing he said was "before I walk around the house this is who we are and this is what we do. He explained to us the history of his business and how he works. Explained to us that a completion date is not an exact date. Some things can go wrong that is not in his control, weather, supply shipments etc.. Also what I will do is be an advocate for you with your insurance adjuster." Honesty right from the start and right then and there we knew we had our man. We then took our walk around, not only inside but outside. Not only did he take the pressure off us with dealing with the Insurance adjuster he got another 1/3 more in monies for more repairs that we would never have seen. Upgrades that would need to be done, smoke detectors, wiring, insulation, etc. Then we also discussed with him to do the roof, siding and kitchen expansion. The professionalism of Mark, his brother Scott, cousin Darren and son Nick plus his subcontractors were and still are, seeing we are having them build our garage, is unmatched. If you are looking for a contractor B&B Unique Remodeling is the way to go. Honesty and integrity is hard to find but very easy when you speak with Mark.

Description of Work
Repaired severe water damage caused by frozen baseboard hot water pipes that burst. Enlarged our kitchen and relocated laundry room from cellar to upstairs. Added farmers porch, new roof and complete Hardy siding on the exterior of the house.

12/11/2013

Amber W.

Overall, a great job was done by B&B. As with any construction project it ran a bit longer than expected, however, I was very pleased with the attention to detail, responsiveness and the work that was completed overall.

Description of Work
Remodeled the kitchen, including gutting and restructuring the entire space.

11/30/2013

Latoya L.

Beware and be skeptical of this company. They do not return calls or emails. They seem very eager to get your email address, but then do not respond.

Description of Work
I wanted this company to remodel my entire kitchen, replace living room flooring, and to renovate the bathroom.

10/29/2013

Jaka S.

We hired B&B based on Angie's list in the fall of 2010. We had purchased a home from 1900 and the electrical work needed to be rewired and some rotting areas needed to be rebuilt and we needed the kitchen painted etc etc. The electrical work was started and then delayed and delayed until we needed to hire another electrician to complete the work. The new electrician was shocked by how bad the work B&B's electrician was. There were holes all over and the wires were dangerous and a mess in the basement. They never attached the wires in the basemen so they were all hanging down. The kitchen painting B&B hired a crew to do and nothing was included except painting. After they were finished they wanted to be paid to re-hang the cabinet doors and put on the knobs and handles. Then they put on the cabinet handles at 2 1/2" up and in which looked ridiculous. I now have patched holes in all of my kitchen cabinets where they improperly mounted the handles. The window seat they built was 50% more expensive because the main rotting cross beam that ran at the top of the window seat was not included in the quote. B&B hires crews for you and then tacks on a conractor's fee of 22%. They claim they get you prices from contractors that are less then you can get and they organize the work for you so it all happens smoothly and on time in highquality. They include all material purchases in this profit percentage. I found the finished project to be horrible except the deck (post caps were not included) and the prices for the services were high ($1100 to rewire the kids bathroom, new GIFI and light only for example) especially considering their contractor % was tacked on to each service. Nothing was completed on time. There were always excuses for everything and "extra" costs were always added.

Description of Work
Paint kitchen and pantry Bench seat Window sill Deck Repair existing deck by sistering to one main beam and sistering to three floor joists and replace one footing Plumbing Kids bath electrical Master bath electrical TV outlet first floor TV outlet master bedroom Cable box outlet first floor Cabinet hinges

09/09/2013

marisa L.

B&B could not have been any more wonderful to work with. Mark and his crew were professional and helpful from start to finish. It's very upsetting to be uprooted from your home when something like this happens and they really took the time to work with each individual involved to make sure that they were involved in the process and the timing of each stage of the work. After the project was underway, there was an issue with the insurance company releasing the funds and the project was delayed three weeks. Mark made arrangements to finish the work and wait for the money to come in when he easily could have moved on to another job due to being so busy. He took the time to work with me while I picked out paint colors and floors and my condo looks better than it did before! The attention to detail that B&B demonstrated was very impressive. The work was done in a very timely manner and overall, given the circumstance, B&B was a pleasure to work with. I would definitely use them again to do work on my own home and the condo association has recently hired them again to work on the rest of the building. I would say an all-around full service company and would highly recommend them to anyone needing work done on their home!

Description of Work
B&B was hired initially to fix the damage caused by a pipe that burst in the wall. The pipe was on the fourth floor and the water damage had affected 2 condo units and a hallway below it. All of the ceilings and floors needed to be replaced in both units, on both floors. During the reconstruction, it was discovered that the siding on the building had not been flashed properly from the original builder and there was moisture in the wall. B&B presented the association with a price to re-side that part of the building so they took on that project as well. They have now just been hired again by the association to continue to re-side the remainder of the building.

06/21/2013

Arun S.

Set up the appointment for Mark B to look at the place for a quote for 6/21 @ 330pm. I called on 6/18 to setup the appointment. On 6/21, I called around 245 to confirm the appointment - Mark answered the phone with a 'I will call you back in a two mins'. He didnt call back nor did he show up for the appointment. F for B & B and F for Angies List Concierge Service. Please take these guys off the list so the next customer is provided with a better service and some common courtesy of a callback when you leave over 4 Voicemails. I highly recommend anyone reading this never to use B & B

Description of Work
Was looking for B & B Unique Remodeling to provide me with a quote for some renovation for my condo unit. They came highly recommended by the 'concierge' service @ Angies List.

06/02/2013

Lauren V.

I never heard back from this contractor. I contacted them via email and it would've taken about two minutes for someone to reply to say they were too busy to work with me. I'm not sure why they run monthly ads if they are too busy to reply to potential clients. They may do great work, but I won't contact them again.

Description of Work
I saw an ad for B&B Unique Remodeling in the Angie's List magazine and after reading their reviews, contacted them about finishing my basement and installing a kitchen island.

04/29/2013

Marc J.

Mark was very quick in providing us information for the quote. He walked us through his planning and build process and explained how he runs a project. He was very friendly, and it was easy to discuss the project details with him.

Description of Work
Mark provided a quote for a kitchen renovation.

04/01/2013

Greg B.

Mark is attentive to the project from start to finish. He took a lot of time working up the initial quote, and provided very detailed information so that we were on the same page. He recommended some very high quality people in the early stages (interior design, survey company) to help move the project along. Mark was present throughout the project and answered the phone every time I called him. Payments were well communicated and only required once work was completed throughout the process. The quality of the work is better than anyone else I have had working on my house, and if I ever need to follow up with him now that project is complete, he responds immediately. Mark also has a very good sense of the issues that may come up during the project, and anticipates questions very well. Above all, I trust Mark and his team to be in my house and I am always certain about the quality of the work.

Description of Work
Major home renovation/addition. This included a completely new kitchen, bathroom, mudroom, new windows throughout the house, roofing, siding, gutters, heating system, deck. The project included significant infrastructure work (including a steel beam since we removed the back wall of the house), which he managed seamlessly. There were some changes we wanted to make during the project, which he was very flexible to accommodate.

Category decks, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, home remodeling, doors

03/10/2013

Bruce B.

Mark listened carefully to what we wanted but also made suggestions when there might be problems with what we had in mind. The final result was a beautiful bathroom. Mark did the project by the book, getting building permits and having the required inspections. He always responded quickly to our emails. The project took longer than we anticipated, but he kept us informed as to why it was taking longer. He is great to work with and we would strongly recommend him.

Description of Work
We had a small bathroom totally renovated--new vanity, sink, toilet, shower, cabinets and tile. We provided the materials, although he was able to get a discount on some of the materials.

01/22/2013

Cynthia T.

B&B was very responsive and professional in dealing with us and we believe their estimate was fair. We would certainly consider using this company for future work.

Description of Work
Responsive and professional.

04/05/2012

Jennifer B.

I still have not received a call back.

Description of Work
I found them on Angie's List. I called them and left a voicemail.

Category remodeling

I greatly apologize. I know sometimes I might miss a call because I am working on the jobsite. The days can be busy at times. If by any chance I have not returned your phone call I can always be reached by email at bb@bbuniqueremodeling.com I try extremely hard to return all calls and emails but I am sure at times I may miss one. Again, I am sorry.

02/21/2012

Brendan M.

We met with Mark early in the process of determining what we were going to do in regards to a 2nd floor expansion. It became apparent very quickly that Mark was extremely skilled but was probably going to be out of our price range. I'm sure it was clear to him as well, but in spite of this he stayed with us for over an hour to go over exactly what we should be looking for in any expansion. In fact, many of his suggestions have been incorporated in our new design. Even though we never received a formal estimate, Mark is someone we would have loved to have worked with and can highly recommend for his creativity and professionalism alone.

Description of Work
Estimate for a 2nd floor addition.

11/10/2011

Jeanine L.

It took me a long time to decide to finally go through with my remodeling project and Mark waited it out patiently and took the job once I was ready to go. Mark was much more than a GC, he was handyman, plumber, painter, advisor, dog walker and therapist when I had the "construction meltdown". He took the time to explain the many facets of the construction process and was able to help me visualize the final product. Although this was new construction, I wanted it to blend with the my old early 1900's house.Therefore, this wasn't your typical addition. Mark understood the look and feel I was going for and hired quality guys to lay down reclaimed hardwood floors, build a custom old barnwood vanity top, and even deal with the saga of installing cast iron radiators. He worked patiently with me to make sure he understood what I wanted and that I understood what the outcome of my decisions would be. Although the project took longer than I had anticipated, Mark was able to talk me off the ledge when I just wanted it done. He told me in terms I could relate to, "it's like the Marathon, don't crawl across the finish, finish strong". He was a perfectionist and demanded the same from his workers. He was very attention detailed and pointed out things that I never would think of. He was price was very fair, competitive and most importantly transparent. He broke down each individual job and payments were made when each job was done, not just quarterly lump sums. I am completely satisfied with my new/old house and now have the space to entertain big gatherings or just hunker down in front of the fire. The only problem I have is that my dog seems to miss the attention all the guys gave her and now looks for treats whenever I walk in the door!

Description of Work
Oh where to begin? Kitchen remodeled, added mud room, half bath ,and living room downstairs. Upstairs reconfigured space for guest bath, laundry room, walk in closet, added master bedroom with master bathroom. Resided the entire house exteriorly.

09/24/2011

Heather T.

How did it go overall? It didn't! NO ONE BOTHERED TO GET BACK TO ME!

Description of Work
I sent lengthy, well detailed email 3 weeks ago (Sept 4) regarding building an apartment onto my parent's home. This would not be a rinky-d*** $1500 job; the butdget is around $100,000, so you'd think someone would have jumped on it in this lousy economy. So far NO ONE has contacted me, either to say "Yes, let's talk" or "No, we can't do it." Another contractor on Angies List contacted me within 12 hours and we already have an appointment for us to discuss it. With all the grades of "A" this company got I was expecting better. I wish it went differently because I'm determined to get this built by next summer. If you want an estimate from these guys don't hold your breath.

03/28/2011

Caren E.

Mark made four visits to our house. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. He spent a lot of time talking to us in person and on the phone giving us professional guidance. Much of this guidance was very valuable, and he did not charge us for it. As we negotiated with our neighbor about the repairs, Mark was available to give a feedback on the value of proposed compromises. Based on advice and consultations from Mark, our neighbor offered to have his guys fix the problems. We felt comfortable with this option after all the information from our conversations with Mark. We didn’t hire Mark this time, but if we ever have a larger renovation project, we would definitely consider Mark for the contractor. He seems like he would do a thorough and careful job.

Description of Work
My downstairs neighbor’s plumbing job caused my bathroom ceiling to split from the wall by about ¾ of an inch. We called Mark to come look at the ceiling, assess if there were any structural damages, and discuss options for repairs.

03/10/2011

DUNCAN H.

We got them through Angie's List. They were very easy to deal with. The project took a long time to get started, and they were very patient. Two brothers own the company, and Scott was very patient with difficulties on our end. Despite the delays, they did a really high quality job. They are flexible and patient. They also have an outstanding crew. All of the members were very good. Their price was a little higher than some, but the quality was worth it. Responsiveness is their weak point.

Description of Work
They built a 14-foot addition to the kitchen and a porch. They completely gutted and remodeled the existing kitchen. They also installed a half bath.

Category decks, remodeling, home remodeling

03/10/2011

raymond S.

There are two brothers who run this company. I called and spoke to one of the brothers whose name is Bourgeoin. I chose them because they were close to where I live and they had a wonderful rating from Angie?s list. I called this gentleman and he was on a job at the time. So he told me that he was going back to his office and he would call me back that evening, but he did not return my call. I had originally told him that my bathroom was very small. I sort of wondered may be, if they were interested in doing bigger jobs. I never heard anything back from them by a phone. I then emailed them and received no response from them either from my e-mail request. The fact that he did not respond by calling me back nor did they respond to my e-mail just makes me wonder, because they?ve got great reviews on Angie?s list. It wasn?t just about returning a phone call, but I also followed it up with an e-mail and it?s quite surprising I never heard from them at all. I would be willing to talk to them if I get a reasonable kind of explanation from them as to why they never contacted me. I?m open to use them in the future.

Description of Work
I got a quote from B & B Unique Remodeling for kitchen and bathroom remodeling.

01/10/2011

JOE S.

I would recommend them to anyone. They finished ahead of schedule. Everyone that comes into our house always says our kitchen is amazing.

Description of Work
They did our kitchen remodel.

11/22/2010

AVA B.

They really listened and responded to our desires and our plans. They were always available if we wanted to check on something or make changes. In addition to their skill, we knew we got a good bathroom. I was very impressed with all of their workers craftsmanship and artistry. You can definitely tell that they take pride in their work and we take pride in our new bathroom.

Description of Work
They remodeled a bathroom. They completely gutted the bathroom, they added a washer and dryer to the bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, home remodeling

11/05/2010

Melissa M.

We are very pleased with the finished product as well as the process for the most part. In any large project there are always bumps and things you don't expect and this job was no exception. What sets BB (and particularly Mark) apart from other contractors that I have worked with in the past is his commitment to customer service from start to finish and even after the project was completed. He was always prompt for meetings, answered calls and emails immediately and responded to any questions or concerns we had fully and completely. The project took a bit longer and cost a bit more then we had originally planned but most of those delays/overages were the result of unexpected issues and/or changes in the original plans. I would absolutely recommend BB and would hire them again for future renovation projects.

Description of Work
We did a gut renovation of our basement and put in a full guest suite which includes full bath, wet bar, cabinets, countertop, fireplace, many closets and laundry room. We replaced all the windows and also cut new windows and door into the existing foundation and installed new window wells and landscaping.

Category ceramic tile, electrician, remodeling, home builders, home remodeling

05/17/2010

Kathleen S.

I called because I got their name from Angie's List. I called them and they gave me an estimate of $15,000 to redo my bathroom without them even seeing my bathroom. He told me that his brother would call me, and he never did. They did not follow up with me. I then had to call them two weeks later and left a message that if they were not interested I would be looking to wards a different direction. I talked to him again today, I wanted to get some concrete information about what they were going to do for me--I was unable to get that information from them. It seems odd to me that they do not have a designer and seemingly only replicate what I already had. I feel that they may not have very good attention to detail.

Description of Work
They gave me an estimate over the phone on remodeling my bathroom.

05/05/2010

Cynthia K.

I have been in contact with him constantly and I am going next week to see some of their work. I asked lots of questions and he was very responsive to everything that I asked him. There is a 98 percent chance that he will be the contractor that I hire. He talked to the building department and I haven't even hired him. He did this on his own just because I asked him a question. It is really amazing.

Description of Work
I got a quote from B & B Unique Remodeling for a kitchen expansion, bathroom and master bedroom. It includes building closets and replacing siding on our house where there is wood rot, gutting other bathrooms, refinishing floors, converting from oil to gas and on and on.

Category closet systems, hardwood floor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, remodeling, siding, home remodeling