A-Tec Chimney Sweep

Founded 1999 • With Angi since May 2010

We are an Advanced Chimney Repair Company with services ranging from simple cleanings to complex chimney rebuilds. We have six employees and four service trucks and we do not subcontractor work out at this time. Our Construction Supervisor Specialty License #102689. Additional phone numbers: (508)

Chimney Rebuild #1Chimney Rebuild #2Chimney Rebuild #3

chimney sweep (222)chimney repair (118)chimney cap repair (86)masonry (41)fireplace services (9)

11/10/2022

Hernan L.

I met James first, he came over and did a full assessment of the situation. He was very informative, polite, professional and caring, overall great customer service. He came back on the day of the appointment with Matt. They were both on time and did a beautiful job with the Chimney. Both James and Matt, were very informative and gave great customer service. I can't over emphasize how great of a job they did. We're extremely happy with job and we would definitely hire them again for another job. Thank you Guys ! Job done today 11/10/2022

Description of Work
Chimney Repair / Cleanup / Waterproofing / New Cap

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 11/10/2022

05/03/2022

Sandy P.

I can’t overemphasize how impressed I am with service and how knowledgeable James and Brandon are. We have known about chimney leak for awhile but are selling home so we needed to resolve ASAP. A Tech quoted a fair price to re-flash and although there was substantial more work that had to be done; they stood by original quote! I highly recommend them for anyone who is in need of any chimney service

Description of Work
Re-flash chimney. Persistent leak

Work Completed On 05/03/2022

06/30/2021

Bill C.

They did a great job, they are on time, efficient, clean and quick. They did a good job. I will recommend them to others.

Description of Work
They installed a new dampner.

Category chimney repair

Work Completed On 06/30/2021

04/02/2021

Ted C.

A-Tec was readily schedulable and arrived in the early part of their 3 hour window, calling ahead when they 40 minutes out. The job was completed efficiently. The lead sweep, Steve, provided some valuable commentary as they went through the job. The other sweep, whose name I did not catch, did most of the on-roof work and also re-caulked our chimney's flashing. Overall I was very pleased with the entire experience. I would recommend and plan to have them back in the future.

Description of Work
Chimney sweeping and inspection

Work Completed On 04/02/2021

02/23/2021

Christopher L.

I called to schedule and informed the lady that I spoke to of the manufacturer of our insert. She was prompt and helpful and scheduled a service visit for the next week. When the technicians arrived, they were unfamiliar with our insert. They spent time trying to figure it out, partially removed it from the hearth, broke several bolts retaining the catalytic unit and then gave up and told us "we can't help you.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweeping

Work Completed On 02/23/2021

We don't have any ladies who work here nor do we work way out in Cohasset. Please make sure you are reviewing the proper company. Thanks

11/21/2020

Timothy L.

It went well. Brendan was very good and professional. The price was pretty steep. I knew what it could cost in advance but one of the chimneys barely needed cleaning so I was hoping for a break. Since this was a property we just bought it was reassuring to have the service. Not sure if I would hire them again at that steep price. Way more than other quotes but the reviews sold us gong with A-Tec

Description of Work
Chimney inspection on 2 fireplaces and oil burner and cleaning

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

Work Completed On 11/21/2020

09/28/2020

Meghan M.

Staff was very responsive to phone calls and luckily had a cancellation so I got a same day appointment. Technicians were very thorough, took pictures of everything inspected and reviewed with me. Work needed to be done and I did not feel at all pressured to commit. They cleaned up everything and showed me before and after pictures. Would absolutely recommend this company in the future and plan to continue to use for maintenance!!

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning, chimney liner replacement

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Work Completed On 09/21/2020

09/22/2020

Ed T.

A-Tec was timely, very good work, very fair price. They were professional and knew what they were doing. Reviewed 3 providers and the prices were all over the lot. I was looking for a repair and not a rebuild. He actually did more work than the estimate indicated, did not charge extra.

Description of Work
Repointing a chimney. Included bricks sagging on top to one side.

Category chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/21/2020

08/05/2020

Georgia Y.

Our last chimney cap was sloppily installed and blew off in a nor'easter. A-TEC did a nice job for a fair price, and we're having them back to do some repointing work that wasn't evident from a ground level inspection.

Description of Work
Chimney cap

Category chimney caps

Work Completed On 06/06/2020

08/04/2020

troy P.

James and his crew did an excellent on rebuilding the chimney (roof-line up), and installing a new liner/cap. The team arrived on time and did exactly what was quoted for the agreed on price. Plus, they did the work on the hottest day of the year, it was 98 on the ground, can't imagine what it was on the roof.

Description of Work
Chimney rebuild and liner install

Work Completed On 07/27/2020

07/21/2020

Brian K.

A-tech installed a Cap on my chimney. The technicians were very friendly, and the process went smoothly. Would definitely recommend.

Description of Work
Had my chimney capped

Category chimney caps

Work Completed On 07/21/2020

Review for A-Tec Chimney Sweep - unknown, Bellingham, MA - 38735371

07/01/2020

cathy K.

Was having the chimney sweep and the fireplace. they recommend a liner To the furnace from chimney and that's what they did Same Day.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep liner installed to the furnace.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

Work Completed On 06/19/2020

05/28/2020

Edward R.

Very well, prompt , very knowledgeable, informative. A challenging job, very well executed. Neat!

Description of Work
SS liner in 150 yr old chimney, 2 liners over 60' feet of liner

Work Completed On 04/27/2020

05/09/2020

Sandra R.

This company was awesome! They promptly responded to my request for an estimate and showed up on time for the estimate appointment and the repair appointment. Very professional and area was left clean. Would definitely recommend!

Description of Work
Crown repair and new chimney cap

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 04/29/2020

01/14/2020

dennis K.

The technicians arrived on time, did a quick inspection, showed me pictures of the chimney and damper and then described what should be done. I opted for a chimney cleaning, chemical cleaning and then replacement of the damper. The team was very knowledgeable and respected my house by sealing off the fireplace during cleaning and getting any loose dust with a shop-vac. Was very pleased with the work, would recommend them to others and I would use them again.

Description of Work
chimney cleaning and damper replacement after chimney fire

Work Completed On 01/08/2020

12/30/2019

art P.

very well were very neat and did a great job

Description of Work
chimney inspection and clean

Work Completed On 12/30/2019

12/30/2019

art P.

very well were very neat and did a great job

Description of Work
chimney inspection and clean

Work Completed On 12/30/2019

12/05/2019

Richard M.

Did not receive discount on chimney cap as advertised. The masonry joints were not completely cleaned of loose mortar and repaired. The sealant was put on over bricks and joints that were not thoroughly cleaned of moss. Crown sealer in center of chimney did not cure and washed away -

Description of Work
Chimney repair and cap

Work Completed On 12/05/2019

08/28/2019

Chris S.

Our flue chimney was in such bad shape we needed it completely rebuilt from the roof line up. It looks so good now! Before there was a leak into the attic, but now after heavy rains everything under the roof is bone dry. $3000 is a lot to spend on a chimney just from the roof up but it is a reasonable price considering the work done to the liner, flashing, new cap, inspection, and sweeping. I am glad I trusted the positive ratings rather than getting someone else to do it cheaper, since I'm sure if it was cheaper it would not be as good of a job.

Description of Work
Chimney repair, chimney flashing, flue liner, chimney cap, chimney sweep, inspection

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 08/16/2019

01/03/2019

Patrick D.

We bought our home in the fall of 2018, a 100+ year old colonial with great bones and a lot of small projects to take care of. The house had been in the same family since it was built, and we had two older chimneys that needed capping and some masonry work that our home inspector said should be addressed right away. The folks at A-Tec were great to work with, fast, and super friendly. The quote they gave us over the phone was exactly what we ended up paying. They even gave me some advice on a couple of other projects they saw me working though on my own, as a first-time home owner. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Description of Work
Chimney cap, masonry

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 11/12/2018

12/21/2018

Bill C.

Had a chimney fire so we needed a cleaning and inspection. Called A-Tec Chimney Sweep. They came out, cleaned the chimney, and proceeded to tell us we needed our flue lined. Quote for that ~$2100. Okay, we set up the appointment. They came out, climbed around our roof for a while and then told us our furnace flue was also in bad shape. Quote for that, $1300. Then they told us they couldn't do the work that day because the liner they brought wouldn't fit in the chimney and they needed to order a narrower one. Luckily for us, we have a friend who's a retired chimney sweep and had been doing this work for over 40 years. In fact, he actually worked on our chimney at one time. He warned us about the dangers of putting a narrower flue insert in the chimney. He also strongly doubted that the furnace flue was in the condition reported by A-Tec. We decided to get a second opinion. Right move! Contacted another well regarded chimney sweep and asked them to inspect our chimney. It took a little while because they are VERY busy but in the end it was worth it. Chimney's fine! Certified our chimney for use and it only cost us $100. So we saved $3300 for unnecessary repairs that may have actually compromised the function of the chimney. Moral of the story, avoid A-Tec Chimney Sweep unless you have LOTS of money to burn.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning and inspection

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/07/2018

This review does not add up, you had a chimney fire and called us to clean it and scope the chimney with a camera. As you saw, the entire fireplace flue was riddled in hairline cracks from the flue expansion in the fire. We scheduled to come out on 9/22/18 to remove the existing flue tiles and install a new liner. On 9/22/18 we spent about 4 hours running a rotary tile breaker to chip out and remove your old tiles to make room for the new metal liner but the chimney was built incorrectly and the mason had backfilled portions of it with cement making the tile removal extremely difficult as we could only take out a few of the tiles while others were cemented in place (likely why they had expansion cracks as your tiles could not expand in the heat while having the chimney fire) While doing this your adjacent furnace flue which was already in poor shape, corroded and flaking was progressively starting to crumble and flake due to the vibrations coming from the tile breaker on the other side of the chimney as we spent half the day running the tile breaker with only 1/4 of the stack coming out. We suggested that we stop since at this pace of removal we could end up breaking the furnace flue and we could see at least one visible hole in it and scheduled with you to come back after having the manufacturer build and send out a direct size rectangular liner to fit inside the existing cavity for the fireplace. You then also asked to have the furnace one replaced and we gave a price of about 1/2 the amount they go for feeling bad that it was unexpected and our work to the other flue is what accelerated the corroded flue to get progressively worse. We ordered the material scheduled a return day and you ended up calling us the next day and putting the project on hold that it was too expensive at the moment and offered to pay us for the day of work, I told you that wasn’t necessary as when you are ready to finish it we would come back and you could pay when the job is complete and the manufacturer had yet to begin building the custom liner. If you did have someone else look at your flue and tell you it looked good after that then they should have their eyes checked. It sounds like you had a friend look at the chimney and appease you rather then go up on the roof and take an actual look since at minimum you are missing 6-8 feet of flue tiles that were removed and the next 4’ are half chipped out. I'd highly suggest you have a real company do an inspection because there is no way anyone should be using the fireplace in that condition and anyone telling you so is extremely irresponsible. Also in the future and for anyone who may be reading this if you have questions about your flue we carry flue cameras in almost all of our trucks, you can simply ask to see the live video of the interior of your chimney rather then jumping to wild conclusions. And as for your last point on direct size liners being too small the most expensive liners in the industry are actually thermacrete liners which build on top of your existing cavity/liner. A fireplace liner is sized based on the opening of your firebox by taking its (width) X (height) / 12 for the minimum square inch opening on round liners and (width) X (height) / 10 for the minimum square inch opening for square or rectangular liners. There are nearly 100 metal liner sizes that can be fabricated in round/square/oval sizes to fit inside a cavity to meet these minimum dimensions for replacement. While on the other hand when us masons are building a new chimney there are only [Member Information Removed] sizes of tera cotta masonry flue tile sizes to choose from 8x8, 8x12, 12x12, 12x16 & 16x16 tiles so a mason chooses one that is large enough for the box he built and since 90% of fireplaces use the 8x12 or 12x12 size that generally leaves a LOT of wiggle room between your firebox size and your required flue size unless of course the mason maxed the size of his box to the tiles he chose. But again, in the future it doesn’t hurt to ask questions if you have concerns about what’s being done or why it is being done.

11/15/2018

Tamami O.

The two guys, Toney, and Jason, who came to clean the flues did an excellent job. They kept the area clean, and did a thorough job. They covered the floors before beginning work with a large black cloth to keep everything clean too. I had also asked that they put a cap back on that blew off a while back, while they were there cleaning the flues, and they did that at no additional charge. Tony recommended a stainless steel chimney cap to cover all three flues, for a pellet, boiler, and wood stove. The price quoted for that will be $500, but it will keep things out and keep the liner for the boiler from deteriorating more than it is. Initially Tony thought the liner may be already to the point of replacing it, but after looking at it while on the roof, he said it wasn’t as bad as he initially suspected, and I could go at least a few more years with it. Which is an honest assessment, also good to hear.

Description of Work
SWEEP 3 FLUES

Work Completed On 11/15/2018

11/05/2018

Richard and Joanne H.

Great. They provided free written estimate - explained everything in detail. Responsive to phone calls, easy to book. Work was done quickly, team again explained each step, put down tarps to protect all floor areas, clean-up so that you couldn't tell any work had been done. Honored Angie's list coupon.

Description of Work
Needed to have fairly extensive work done on my chimney - needed lining, repointing, waterproofing.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair