2 Rivers Contracting & Services Inc

Arlington, MA 02474

Award winning....

07/28/2020

Paul B.

The guy fixed the faucet, but he is an incredible ripoff. He charged about 4 times what was appropriate. I gave feedback to the person who recommended him and that person will never recommend him again. He is competent, but his charges are outrageous. Avoid at all costs.

Description of Work
malfunctioning faucet

Category drywall, plumbing

02/18/2018

Damon W.

All was fine until within the 6 year warranty, it needed repair. When I couldn't find the paper work I tried to find out if he had kept a copy of the receipt for the appliance that he purchased for me - he obviously didn't because when I texted him and asked he told me it was a sunday and I should talk to him on monday. he never responded to my queries again. I guess he didn't want to own that unlike many plumbers he didnt keep the paperwork - and so I needed to replace it on my check.

Description of Work
hot water heater

11/17/2015

Virginia G.

I've been very happy with Two Rivers. They've been my guys for plumbing & gas work for a number of years, and the work has always been very good (as far as we can tell :). This time with the kitchen sink, John showed me the sludge-filled pipe, since he says customers often don't believe him (and I wouldn't really have if I hadn't seen it myself). He explained everything to me as we went along, although again, I could see the pipe for myself. After he replaced the pipe with pvc he snaked out the whole thing to make sure everything was clear. He also placed the new pipe with a slightly greater drop angle than the original - as much as the existing connections would allow - to help mitigate this situation for next time (which hopefully will be another 60 years to never). I didn't ask him to (I certainly didn't even know enough to ask for it) - I feel like he just does a good job on principle. He also made sure to use some old boxes in the basement to catch the sludge as he cut open the pipe; for what could have been a really messy job, he really didn't leave anything for me to clean up afterwards, except to throw the box out in the garbage. I believe the gas install went just as well, although my husband oversaw that work, so I can only relay second-hand information, but it looks like a good, thoughtful job to me. As an aside from the actual work, I'm very fond of John. We chatted about our respective moves from the city to the suburbs, and he recommended a mosquito spray service that I've been very happy with. I certainly intend to keep him as my regular plumber.

Description of Work
I had John out to do a couple of things: 1) hook up my gas grill to the house natural gas line, 2) snake out my kitchen sink which was backing up. Item 2 ended up being a big deal - the entire pipe was filled with sludge, so he had to cut out the old, cast-iron pipe & replace it with pvc. So that ended up taking the half-day he'd originally scheduled, and he did the gas line the next day.

Category plumbing, gas leak repair, drain cleaning

07/07/2015

Kenny B.

The repair was very simple, and John fixed it right away - it took about 5 minutes to fix. It was very expensive, but on the other hand, it was an emergency repair, so even though it was a lot of money, I was I was willing to pay. At the time, I was even willing to hire John again for some follow up work, but it proved impossible to reach him and to schedule the job. he didn't return my calls and when he finally did get back to me, the scheduling was really inconvenient, so I gave up and took my business somewhere else

Description of Work
Emergency (minor) repair of a heating system

04/23/2015

ALAN D.

THIS CONTRACTOR DOES NOT PAY HIS BILLS. WE HAVE BEEN A VENDOR FOR 2 RIVERS FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS AND THERE WAS NEVER A PROBLEM. IN MARCH OF 2014, HE STOPPED PAYING HIS BILL AND HAS NOT RETURNED A PHONE CALL SINCE. HE HAS A BALANCE OF$5805.20 FOR OVER A YEAR. HE HAS A BALANCE OF OVER $12000 WITH ANOTHER SUPPLY HOUSE. HE IS STILL IN BUSINESS, AND JUST REFUSES TO PAY OR EVEN CALL US BACK.

Description of Work
We have been calling and leaving messages for 2 Rivers since April of 2014, and he has never returned a phone call.

01/27/2015

William F.

Very helpful, and gave very helpful advice for the future

Description of Work
Unclogged sink and garbage disposal

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

06/11/2014

Johanna F.

He was very helpful. Honestly don't remember too many of the details. We were in an emergency situation and he was responsive

Description of Work
install a hot water heater

05/18/2013

Alex A.

Our electric water heater died on a weekend. 2 Rivers was the second contractor we called and the first one who had an electric heater available immediately. John showed up very quickly and walked us through our options, giving us the full price including all charges. He was already out for another emergency weekend job, so he didn't even charge us extra for that even though he could have. Came and installed our new heater the next day. About a week lady, we realized that our water wasn't as hot as we were used to, which required tweaking the settings. John came a couple of days later and made the necessary tweaks at no additional charge. One of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had with a contractor. John was friendly, professional, and really went out of his way to deliver good service. My only regret is that it took me so long after the job to write this review!

Description of Work
Replaced old electric water heater. Emergency weekend job.

Category water heater repair

05/17/2013

Rita E.

Showed up the day I called, on time, understood everything I wanted to have done. I prioritized jobs, but everything was done without my knowledge of cost. He did things in a very professional manner and replaced things I didn't request, but for the better in the end. Sticker shock to find three hours later what the total was. Would have been nice to have some warning. I like the work, but the price was high, perhaps being a DYI, I am not familiar with the cost of professional services.

Description of Work
Install drain on bathroom sink, grab bars in shower, repaired shower faucet, repaired slow drain and installed shutoff from water supply to house.

03/26/2013

Susan D.

The whole experience went very well - and John and team had no problem walking me through the changes they were making and the situation. Plumbing in old houses always has issues but they were resolved quickly.

Description of Work
John and the team replaced several badly worn toilets, a vanity and several other misc jobs.

03/04/2013

Michael C.

Note: I've used John (the owner) in the past. In fact, they did the plumbing

Description of Work
Garbage Disposal Replacement

02/18/2013

Kathy B.

Excellent service, arrived immediately on President's Day - was willing to carefully explain everything he did, extremely pleasant, made some recommendations to upgrade the service (with NO hard sell) - even whistled while he worked ;) I will absolutely use 2 Rivers next time I need any plumbing or heat/ac work done and highly recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Restored heat and hot water.

02/02/2013

MICHAEL M.

I called the company on a Saturday after my boiler stopped working and got a phone call from a technician who told me it would be a minimum $250 to come by on a Saturday. He told me he could be here in 30 minutes, but pressured me to take it or leave it. I told him I needed to discuss options with my wife and would call him right back. He said, and quot;Good luck with thatand quot; and hung up. I realized his cell phone number was and quot;blocked.and quot; A few minutes later I called the dispatcher again to leave a message to schedule the appointment. I called again a half hour later. He never returned my calls. I thought it was very unprofessional, especially to pressure someone to say yes or no on the spot, especially when he told me I could be spending $250 just to have a loose wire connected . . .

Description of Work
Impolite, didn't return phone calls

01/14/2013

Daniel B.

I noticed a leak coming from the unit above me and it turned out that they needed a new valve or gasket for the radiator. John was able to get out to me within an hour of my call and quickly identified the problem. Very personable and professional, would recommend.

Description of Work
Fixed radiator in apartment above mine.

12/14/2012

Kenny B.

I called 2 Rivers to do a routine cleaning and maintenance on my steam heating system. John was very responsive and was able to come first thing in the morning which suited me, becuase I neeeded to go to work. He arrived right on time and did the work he promised. He really seems to understand ateam heating systems (which seems to be rare these days) and so I trust him when he gives me advice. I have two complaints - (1) he hasnt sent me the bill yet, and (2) he is a bit hard to get hold of - he has an answering service who passes on phone messages, but it would be nice to be able to schedule appointments, and arrange payment directly. I will certainly use him again.

Description of Work
Routine maintenance and minor repairs for a gas-fired steam boiler

11/15/2012

Sheila K.

They were great. They were very clean and courtesy. They got the job done within the time I needed.

Description of Work
They did a major plumbing repair.

10/21/2012

Jonice W.

Outstanding - he called back within 30 minutes of the message I left (during business hours - early in the day) and had the problem repaired befor mid-afternoon. I don't know the going rate for such service - it seemed a little expensive but I don't have enough experience to be sure - but the promptness, quality and professionalism will ensure 2 Rivers is the first on my call list.

Description of Work
Repair shower valve (Temprol single knob) in an apartment I rent out - was leaking hot water out the showerhead even when fully turned off.

06/28/2012

Adam F.

Contacted 2 Rivers. They were able to quickly come and evaluate the current set up the same day as I called. They required $1000 down for parts. I did not get multiple quotes for this job since the timeline was very tight to get the water heaters power vented before the roof was started. John Ellis actually knew our roofer and coordinated with him. The work was started 2 days later. Met with John in the morning to discuss the water heater vent location. There was a communication problem since I requested the vent go out of the back of the house after I was warned about the possibility that the vent would be plowed in by the neighbor since it would be near the driveway if positioned on the side of the house. I left for work. I expected John to call me when he had completed the job. No call was received, so I had to call. I went to view the work after work that night. I was generally pleased, but the vent for the water heater was ugly and there had been 6 screw put through my siding without any phone calls to ask. I did not realize that the vent needed to be run at a diagonal up the house based on where I requested the vent go through to accommodate some code requirements. I contacted John to have the vent redone the next day since the vent was not aesthetically pleasing to look at when sitting in the back yard. John moved the vent to the side of the house the next day while I waited and ran the vent up 7 feet parallel to a downspout. This eliminated the eyesore from the backyard, camouflaged the vent, and eliminated the chance of plowing over the vent. John departed the job site on the second day without talking to me. He left one of his employees to clean up and collect final payment although the employee did not have an invoice and didn't know anything about the Angie's list coupon. I was ultimately left with a good job done quickly, but also with an extra 2and quot; hole in my foundation and 6 extra screw holes in my siding that I will have to repair at my cost due to a lack of communication about the vent pipe length and positioning. Definitely have John show you a mock up of the exterior vent before committing to a hole in the foundation.

Description of Work
Drained and removed 3 water heaters. Replaced with one 50 gallon power vent model. Installed nex vent for water heater. Capped the gas lines to 2 boilers. Installed sillcock and hardwired CO detector. This work was done on short notice since the roof was being redone and the chimneys were being removed.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair

06/11/2012

Erica H.

Previous owner repaired furnace as part of my condo closing for 1175.00. I moved into my condo and tried the heat on a cold morning. Furnace wasn't firing properly and I called 2 Rivers to come take a look based on the previous invoice. All I got was attitude and an overpriced estimate for further repair. I was charged 75.00 for the service call, which was not mentioned on the phone when I referred to the previous invoice/repair. John refused to leave without the money.

Description of Work
Furnace Repair/Estimate.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

05/25/2012

john H.

I found Two Rivers Plumbing on Angie's list a few years ago and would not consider using anyone else for plumbing work. John Ellis, the business owner is easy to deal with. John and crew always shows up as scheduled. Their work is of the highest quality. They have solved problems with a heating system that others were not able to fix. Prices are fair. I am delighted with all aspects of their service.

Description of Work
John and crew have performed a variety of plumbing tasks for me at my home and at rental properties including repair of heating systems, hot water heater installation, installation of sinks and toilets, installation of base board heating units, installation of faucets, a variety of leak repairs

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair, drain cleaning

04/28/2012

Janann L.

John owns the company. The job went very, very well. I had no problems at all. Our furnace broke and it was just getting cold and they squeezed me in on a Friday night to fix it and they finished the job and it was very good.

Description of Work
I used 2 Rivers Contracting & Services Inc to put in a new furnace and a undermine water heater.

02/06/2012

Josh L.

We had a leak in our gas furnace/boiler. The pressure relief valve was draining. 2 Rivers had serviced the boiler in the past, so we called them. I called oN A Friday morning and John called back almost immediately. I explained that I had to go to work, but he said that he could come by within 30 minutes, so I waited. He came into the house and looked at the system for about 20 seconds. He immediately told me that 3 valves needed to be replaced and, in order to do the work, he needed to drain the entire system. He said the job would take all day and cost $985. I was getting the feeling that I was being swindled, so I decided I wanted to get a second estimate. I told him I couldn't do the work that day because I had to go to work (true). He said I was responsible for paying him a $75 service charge for coming out to look at the problem (which he did not disclose before coming). He was insistent about the service charge and was NOT leaving without getting the money from me. After I paid him and he left, I remembered that I had recently met and done business with someone in the heating/burner/furnace repair industry. I gave him a call and explained the situation. I told him the price give to me by 2 Rivers and he started laughing out loud. He came over 3 nights later and changed out defective valve. It took him 15 minutes and it fixed the problem. He did not have to drain the system and did not take him all day.

Description of Work
Came out to inspect leaking furnace/boiler. Gave us an estimate of $985 to fix and told us it was an all-day job. We decided to get a second opinion/estimate. We had someone else come out and fix the problem in 15 minutes for a nominal fee.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

12/01/2011

Jane P.

The whole process took 2 hours. He unclogged my sink, but then the 1st floor sink was clogged. He could not unclog the 1st floor sink without payment. I was unwilling to pay for more labor, so he went home. I thought that was fine, but my neighbors and superintendent complained. They said he shouldn't have left the 1st floor sink clogged.

Description of Work
The technician, unclogged my kitchen sink. The clog turned out to be further down than first expected, so he had to use a 70 foot snake. I live on the 2nd floor of a condo building. The clog had traveled to the 1st floor.

Category drain cleaning

11/21/2011

David S.

The valves on the supply lines for my bathroom sink started leaking after I had replaced the sink faucet. One was just a little drip, but the other was leaking pretty heavily even when the valve was shut off. I was going to be traveling in a few days, so I really wanted the repair done ASAP. I called several plumbers and they all said they couldn't get to me that day. I called 2 Rivers after seeing the positive reviews on here. I got a dispatch person who took down my information. Within 5 minutes, I got a call from John Ellis. I described the problem to him and he said he could be there in an hour or so. He arrived in about an hour. He quickly identified what the problem was and described to me how he was going to fix it. I took him down to the basement so he could shut off the main water supply. I live in a very old house ( built 1897). John pointed out a few features of our plumbing that are a bit outdated. He didn't do this to try and increase the size of the job, rather he was pointing out upgrades we might want to make in the future. He did the repair work on the sink rather quickly. I think it was less than an hour to complete the job. He was very clean and orderly. I thought the price was reasonable, but by no means a bargain. But considering that I had a leak, I was happy to have the job done quickly and well. So the price seemed fair. The one annoyance was that he slapped 2 Rivers stickers on every furnace and water heater in the basement of my condominium, and he placed them over top of existing stickers from competing plumbers. That to me was rather tacky and makes me think twice about calling him again.

Description of Work
The shut-off valves on the supply lines for my bathroom sink were replaced.

09/28/2011

Cary C.

I called Mr. Ellis and got a price for the work. Later I made an appointment to have the work done. Mr. Ellis showed up on time, cleaned the burners, and tested them.

Description of Work
Mr. Ellis cleaned my gas burners (2 of them) as part of a Masssave insulation project. Although the price seemed high he was punctual and professional. There were some followup questions and Mr. Ellis was very responsive. He was nice enough to give me the Angies List discount after I had already paid for the work. I will use him again.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

Abe Schickel & Co Inc

We are a meticulous and long-established house painting company that provides lasting and clean work for homeowners who want to carefully care for their home and living environment. We will really care for your home.

Decolores Painting

We specialize in interior and exterior painting services, cabinet painting, staining, and more! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

Guedes Painting Inc.

When I founded Guedes Painting, my goal was to provide a high quality service at a fair price. After 10 years of working as an employee in Massachusetts on residential interior and exterior painting, I have made hard work and attention to detail a formula that Guedes Painting has flourished. I have one employee that works with me full time, and I have a second helper when needed. I offer 10% off for any and all customers as well as free estimates. We are fully licensed and insured and our staff guarantees quality workmanship because your satisfaction is number one, and excellence is what our name stands for. Guedes Painting is a family business that has been in business since 2011. Nilson, the owner, has his hands on every project. He personally ensures that every project is completed correctly and delivered with high quality. No subcontractors and no travel charges, ever. Please call 617-447-7417 for schedule a free consultation.

Offers by Guedes Painting Inc. on Angi

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

Residential & commercial plumbing, heating, water heaters, boilers, gas fitting, drain cleaning & kitchen & bath remodeling.

HVAC.