Capital Improvement

Founded 1991 • With Angi since March 2008

3.6

Capital Improvement; State Licensed, Fully Insured General Contractor providing Home Improvement and Remodeling Services in South Louisiana...

Silas Remolding

We specialize in painting anything in your home, we have great prices and great quality work. Call us today for a free estimate!

State Roofing I, LLC

State Roofing was founded on the principle of providing fair, reliable and fast roofing services. We've installed over 5500 roofs since 2005 and are proud of our quality work. We have offices in Louisiana and Texas. Our Louisiana license number is 69317. We offer 130 MPH Wind Warranties and 10 Year Labor Warranties.

Scivicque's Painting

08/31/2020

Edie D.

Do not use this company. Very poor workmanship and no customer service. I have mildewed windows on the two windows they installed. Had 10 windows installed by another company at the same time with no issues. Capital Improvement agrees they are moldy. They say there is no warranty. Please find a professional company.

Description of Work
Closed in two sets of french doors to window openings.

Category remodeling,replacement windows

11/25/2014

Kristen M.

We sincerely wanted to use Capital Improvement for a bathroom renovation. The initial outreach from two supervisors was exceptional. Then, one of them left the company and the other was non-responsive. I reached out a few weeks later to the main line and was told someone would contact me. When William finally reached out after weeks, he was difficult and unprofessional. He would was not willing to be flexible or do the research on the prior communication with the other employees, instead insisting we start all over with another home visit and take off more time from work. I explained the company already had all of our measurements and had already seen the home, but he wanted to do it his way. Finally, he agreed to reach out to the other employee to get the info and said he would be back in touch. He never reached out. A few weeks later, I reached out to the main line again and William was again difficult to work with and unprofessional. He clearly has no intention of serving the customer or providing high quality customer service. He has no intention of working with the customer but instead things must be done exactly the way he wants, including times to meet. This is exceptionally frustrating as we wanted to work with Capital Improvement after our initial meeting but clearly would not do so now. I would not recommend this provider to anyone.

Description of Work
William at Capital Improvements was not responsive for weeks and when I reached out to get more information, he was rude, unprofessional and difficult to work with in his communication with me and my husband both.

Category remodeling,replacement windows,home remodeling

William Hale General Contractor Capital Improvement 504-733-5722 www.capitalimprovement.com [Members Name], I appreciate the opportunity to help you with your project. I was not, and am not in the habit of being rude. You called me on 2 occasions and I returned your call the same day. I offered to meet with you during regular business hours; I spoke to [members name] and offered to help with the project. I always conduct myself in a professional manner. The original project was a bathroom remodel at your home; now I understand that you folks have an Ikea vanity that you would like installed after regular business hours. I don’t know if the vanity fits, what plumbing is needed or if it will meet expectations. Honestly, this project does not seem like a good fit for us. Your disappointment is understandable, but your hostility is uncalled for. As a professional I would recommend you find someone who is a better fit for this project. Our goal is to help as many people as we can and we often get request services that we don’t provide. It is in the best interest of all concerned to be honest about the services we provide, isn’t it? I am sorry to disappoint you. You may reach me anytime through my office #504-733-5722. William Hale

06/10/2014

Tsetsa D.

They arrived at the site later than scheduled. Installed the windows the best they can, as we are learning now. The sales person emphasized that if anything is wrong with any of the windows, the window part will be replaced promptly. One of the front windows had misaligned grids between the top and bottom sashes. We were promised that the sash with misaligned grids will be replaced; the necessary window information was supposedly recorded, but we never heard back from the sales representative even after multiple calls to the company office. For the past four months we have been renovating our house. The changes to the house triggered a safety code requirement to install larger windows on the second floor. My husband, I, and our builder attempted multiple times to contact Capital Improvements for a quote for new windows in order to ensure that they match with the windows on the rest of the house. At this point we wanted to give the company another chance. However, no one contacted back any one of us. We resorted to going to the office in person where we were given the sales representative's cell phone number. To make the long story short: Capital Improvements gave our builder a quote for the two new windows after multiple requests and exchanges. The quote was delaying the project and when it finally arrived, it the prices were rather high. We had already got an alternative quote that turned out significantly lower than the one from Capital Improvements and had decided to buy the windows from the alternative provider in order to keep the project on track.

Description of Work
Replaced 9 windows

02/13/2014

catherine M.

In about August of 2012, whenever it rained, water started leaking at the inside wall of the house along the edge of the ceiling. Since I had a 40 year warranty from Capital Improvement, I called them and spoke to Mr. William Hale, owner of the company. I had to contact Mr Hale several times to finally get him to come and inspect the damage. Mr.Hale did not even want to inspect the roof and was only interested in denying responsibility for any roof problem. I contacted a licensed roofer who ended up repairing the problem. He gave me a written statement which stated the following: and quot; The original roof was installed wrong, the wood became rotten as a result of improper wall flashing. Flashing used was siding material. Starter strip or aluminum was bent over. Also shingles buckled, not enough room for expansion (cut too tight). As a result water leaked at the inside wall of the house. and quot; The total price of the repair of the roof and inside wall including labor and materials was $1,150.00. UPDATE (08/21/2014): In response to Capital Improvement's response: He stated that he offered to help me fix the issue, but he never offered to do that. He was trying to get out of it. He had an excuse for everything. It wasn't his fault, and quot;it has to be the shingles. call the shingles people.and quot; He was saying everything he could to get out of helping me with it. I had another roofer come in to fix the problem and he stated that the leak was caused by faulty workmanship on the roof and it was not the shingles. I have a written statement from that roofer in stating it was faulty workmanship. Capital Improvement gave me a 40-year warranty on the roof and it was only 8 years old when this problem occurred.

Description of Work
This job was done in about February of 2005. It included the installation of a new roof, including removing existing shingles from home and garage and hauling away debris, inspect deck area for damage and allow for 2 sheets plywood if needed. Remove existing gutters and install new gutters. Install 15 lb felt and Elk 40 year (Wedgewood Blue) shingles to home and garage. Other work included was installation of wind turbine, installation of gutters and downspouts, five sets of vinyl shutters. My complaint is focused only on the roof work and materials. The contract states that Capital Improvement agrees to do the work in a workmanlike manner in accordance with standard practices and not to use any factory seconds, or sub-standard materials.

Category gutter repair,roofing

Thank you for giving us to opportunity to help you with this matter. It is important to remember that this project was done in 2005 with incredible results. The warranty on the shingles is from the manufacturer and covers any defects. The craftsmanship we provided on your projects was of high quality and was not the cause of the leak in your wall. As I said, and as you stated, the leak was the result of a wall flashing that failed not the roof. I am not sure what expansion coefficient you are referring to; the bump in the shingle was the result of the same wall flashing telegraphing through the shingles. As you know I offered to fix the wall flashing for you and make the needed improvements to your home, however you chose not to make the improvements. As always we will do everything we can to help you; call if you need us. Respectfully William Hale General Contractor Capital Improvement

01/08/2014

Michael P.

Did not use Capital for any of the work after establishing that the contractor's fee was to go to me not to them was they told me. Had windows installed at a lower cost, had all the repairs completed in a timely fashion by various different contractors. Update: It should be noted that the percentage called "general contractor's fee," is a fee that IS available to the consumer and is not supposed to be automatically assessed by any contractor. One can serve as their own "general contractor." It has NOTHING TO DO WITH "POCKETING" anything as stated, rather negatively, by this contractor. I used several contractors and none asked what the insurance company was paying, nor did they ask for a percentage for "general contraltos fees. In addition, I called my insurance company and they stated that the fee was mine as I found different contractors to do the different repairs....doing what a general contractor. I was the general contractor, hiring different contractors to complete the work! It is amazing that some companies fail to remember that, "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time!" That was not the only reason for the low evaluation: over priced, hard sell, AND the contractor's fee issue. Most of the companies I have dealt with have had very positive evaluations. Not this one.

Description of Work
We asked for an estimate on replacing windows and completing repair services to damage due to Hurricane Issac, including interior and exterior repairs. The insurance company repair estimate included a fee that would be reimbursed to us, entitled "contractor's fees. We were told by the insurance company tat that was our reimbursement if we managed to get all of the repairs completed. Capital improvement stated that the fee would be their fee and charged us for it. Te lesson learned here is to NEVER share your insurance data with a Louisiana contractor. I am glad I asked the insurance company about that fee or would have paid someone else for all of my hard work in finding folks to compete the repairs....which I did on my own and did get my contractor's fee returned to me.

Category replacement windows

Insurance companies do pay a fee to general contractors performing service for homeowners. It sometimes happens that homeowners want to pocket the fee and do the work themselves, however insurance companies don't pay the fee unless the homeowner hires a general contractor. Homeowners who choose to do the work themselves are not paid the general contractor's fee. Insurance companies do this to protect homeowners from the hazards and risks of hiring subcontractors to do work on their home. The insurance company provides a loss summary report that shows the scope of work needed to repair the property damage. In the report there is an estimated budget to have the work done. In order to have the project funded homeowners are required to submit a supplemental claim for recoverable depreciation and any other services required to repair damages. As a General Contractor Capital Improvement submits the supplemental claim for the homeowner to recover depreciation and any other job related expenses associated with the repairs. The insurance company pays the supplemental claim based on the scope of work submitted by the general contractor. The loss summary report should be shared with the general contractor to ensure proper funding of the repairs needed. Most insurance companies do a good job of providing a scope of work and budget to repair your property in the loss summary report, but some things need to be accounted for by a general contractor. The insurance company may pay to repair a roof; if we determine that a new roof is required they will fund the replacement instead of a repair. The insurance company wants homeowners to be able to hire a State Licensed General Contractor to perform services, but to ensure proper service insurance companies only pay the general contractor when the homeowner hires them. Insurance companies do this to protect homeowners and prevent fraud in the marketplace. We have all heard stories about homeowners who hire unlicensed contractors to repair storm damage and unlicensed contractors taking advantage of them. It is in everyone's best interest to hire a State Licensed General Contractor to perform services on your home. Insurance companies understand the risk involved in trying to get work done without the help of a General Contractor. However, some homeowners hire us to process their claim to get the necessary funding including recoverable depreciation, additional work needed and the contractors fee, and then decide to pocket the money themselves. Capital Improvement is always honest with insurance companies. Homeowners who ask us to pad their claim to cover deductibles are rejected; homeowners who want to pocket money from insurance claims are rejected, Capital does not participate in taking advantage of homeowners or insurance companies. When storm damage happens we expect insurance companies to take good care of homeowners and contractors who serve them, and we consider this relationship to be reciprocal, so we do our bet to serve the insurance company as well as the homeowner. Not everyone plays fair, but I do. Respectfully William Hale General Contractor Capital Improvement

08/28/2013

Jacqueline W.

The work the subcontractors did was good from the contractor whom built the patio and the roof to the electriction who did all the wiring the for flood lights and both ceiling fans to the co.that installed the facial (vinyl ceiling) the problem started with the non communication of the provider,they seemed to know nothing about communicating with the customer.before starting the job they sent a tractor trailer full of wood and other building material to my home and no one had notified me,plus I had not been granted a permit yet.I told driver I refuse to accept it, that I had no knowledge of this delivery,I called the provider to let them know how displeased I was and later spoke to the owner about it,he said said he knew they had a problem and would try to correct it , he didn't the communication problems only got worse every step of the way.I will never use Capital Improvement again and strongly regret ever doing business with them!!!

Description of Work
they subcontracted all the work out after they led me to believe they would be performing the work themselves (capital improvement was the co. I selected to build a patio)

Category replacement windows

Overall: we received many favorable comments from the neighbors and the homeowner on this project. The project was to build a patio cover over an existing slab that matched the existing home. The result was a permanent addition that looks like it came with the house. Price: the project was completed within the budget the homeowner agreed to and provided, there were no extra charges, no hidden charges and no change orders, the price was right. Quality: we only used the highest quality materials that were specified and ordered for this project. Responsiveness: communication is an issue that needs work. In this case a large material order arrived unexpected and was an inconvenient delivery. The lumber yard and Capital could have done a better job of scheduling the delivery. Punctuality: we do try to be punctual, this project included a lot of different phases and each phase had to be completed prior to starting the next phase. Scheduling resources is one of the most difficult tasks when multiple disciplines are required on a project. Inspections had to be completed and different specialty crews had to be ordered to complete each phase. Code enforcement did a good job keeping up with this project and allowed us to get it done in a timely manner. Professionalism: as a General Contractor we take a professional approach to performing work and completing projects for homeowners. [member name removed] says our trade contractors, specialty contractors and sub-contractors that work for us did a good job on her project; this is the way it is supposed to work. As a General Contractor we build teams and provide resources to build quality projects for homeowners. We focus on completing projects with predictable results that add real value to the home, improve the aesthetic appearance and improve the quality of life for the homeowners we serve. Respectfully William Hale General Contractor Capital Improvement 504-733-5722 855-733-5722 [hyperlink removed]

08/22/2013

Sharon C.

Crews had no training on how to install roll down shutters. 3 crews tried to install bored 2 inch holes through our bricks. Dropped shutters on our house bricks cracking them. Had holes that we could see outside through. Had to have the manufacturer come repair the 2 new roll down shutters and install properly. 2 years later still have holes in bricks and sheetrock. Chris Pitre was sent out to resolve issue. He said he could not guarantee fixing the damage so he told us he would give us a FULL refund. Well owner decided that was not going to happen. Company would never let us talk to Chris again. A resolution could not be agreed upon. Made a complaint to BBB. Lawsuit pending.

Description of Work
damaged bricks on our house

06/21/2013

Karen W.

He was friendly and courteous.

Description of Work
I had an inspection report who reported that I had defective gutters. He came out and told me there was nothing wrong with the gutters. They only needed to be cleaned. He saw no defects as stated in the home inspection report.

06/15/2013

Jan F.

great salesman, great presentation, good price. after we get a callgave them a check, couldn't get a call back. we were trying to coordinate with HVAC installers, Electricians, painters, plumbers..... originally told things would happen within 10 days..... NOT. After several chase down calls, the sales man tells me and quot;10 days from last weekand quot;. Would that be from last Monday or Friday? and quot;From when I put the order in.and quot; Apparently things were hung up because Hardyboard is a special order item. One may purchase that stuff at any box store, as well as Carruth Lumber, 3 blocks from my house. I was also told that their SOP was to have all the material on hand before starting in, so that accounted for the delay.... So they started on the sides, which was definitely, positively not the order of things we had agreed upon -- because, I was told, they didn't have the Hardyboard.... (We needed the back completed first for a number of reasons.) I was up in Maryland for a wedding; when I returned, on Saturday of the MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND, I find sheets of plywood coating my backyard, piles, yes piles of nails on the ground and on the AC platforms where other contractors will work on Tuesday, other work material debris of all kinds (plastic wrap, slivers of insulation, sheets of insulation, misc tubes of caulk, paint brushes and trays and rollers on the lawn, and GARBAGE: cig butts, plastic bottles, Doritos bags mostly empty -- did I mention Nails?!, cut offs from siding and insulation, cardboard, chewing gum, yes CHEWING GUM on the concrete just outside my back door. No, it wasn't siding adhesive - tho there was plenty of that, that stuff don't smell Minty....... Did I mention cig butts and nails? THEN, I'm thinking someone will appear Tuesday morning (following my W**?! phone calls). Nuttin! the salesman actually returned my call on Tuesday, explaining that they were waiting for and quot;all the materialsand quot; before they continued. {see above} to be fair, in response to my complaints, upon their return they undertook a big clean up. and finished up. and I am still picking up g their garbage from my back yard, herb garden, and driveways. To be fair, the siding looks great. but, I'm so P*****! they were contracted to remove and replace the existing gutters. the and quot;siding guysand quot; couldn't handle it. needed another crew. we cancelled.

Description of Work
replaced existing siding on back of house with Hardyboard,painted; covered existing siding on2 sides with vinyl and capped window casings, etc.

06/10/2013

Jan F.

Very responsive to estimating and giving us options before job began. A little fuzzy on start of job and when materials would arrive. The workman were not the neatest and showed up without proper equipment on the first day. Several phone calls and conversations ensued. The work done was of good quality and we are happy with the finished product. We were going to have them do the gutters but scheduling seemed to be a problem so the salesman very nicely deducted gutter work from invoice and maybe we will still use them at a later date. Just more communication at the onset of real work would have helped situation

Description of Work
Siding and clad windows on 3 sides of our home. Vinyl siding on sides and HardiePlank installed and painted on back of home. Clad windows on 3 sides.

Category gutter repair,siding,house painters

Capital Improvement

Founded 1991 • With Angi since March 2008

3.6

1501 Edwards Ave

New Orleans, LA 70123

Windows Patios Sunrooms Screen-Rooms Siding Overhang Gutters and Trim Home Improvement Remodeling Services

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available