Highland Hardwood Flooring

Founded 2004 • With Angi since April 2011

3259 S Floyd St

Louisville, KY 40209

Highland Hardwood Flooring specializes in hardwood flooring needs. With over 25 years of experience, we are a company that has the knowledge and skills to get the job done right. Our experts will transform your home into one that your friends and family will rave about. Highland Hardwood Flooring is the premier hardwood flooring company in the region and our reviews speak for themselves. Whether you are looking to replace your outdated carpet with something that is more durable like hardwood floors, refinish your current hardwood floors to their original shine, or install new hardwood floors, we get the job done right and provide the best customer service. Request a FREE in-home consultation or if you would like to visit our showroom please call us at 502.384.1100 to schedule an appointment...

08/03/2020

Ashley M.

Great experience from start to finish. The owner was very knowledgeable and professional and I was very impressed by the crew that came to do the install. The crew leader took a lot of pride in his work and did a great job. I have nothing but good things to say about this company.

Description of Work
Installation of Hardwood Floors

07/31/2020

anthony G.

We are very pleased with the results of this refinishing project. Highland Hardwood Flooring was timely and professional.

Description of Work
hardwood flooring refinishing

07/30/2020

Karen W.

Very well done. Professional crew who went the extra mile.

Description of Work
Floor refinishing

07/29/2020

Amanda B.

Highland Hardwoods was excellent from day one. The office staff was helpful and knowledgeable and the work crews were very neat clean and professional. Everything was done in a timely manner, communication was excellent. Would definitely use again.

Description of Work
Installation and refinishing

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your kind review and A rating. We hope you enjoy your new floors.

05/28/2020

Angela P.

We had 2200 sq feet of hardwood flooring refinished by another flooring company with horrible results. Chatter marks, uneven color, messy stain application on baseboards....and more. This was a big name flooring company! We were so upset and woud not let this company come back in our home to fix their MESS! What a nightmare!! I needed to find another company to fix our floors. I found Highland Hardwood Flooring after reading through multiple Google reviews. I called 4 companys, made appointments for them to come give us their opinion and an estimate. When Daniel the owner of Highland Flooring came he was on time, very professional and assured us with confidence his company could repair and refinish our floors to the quality we expected. His crew started on time each day, we're very respectful of us and our home. They did their job and cleaned up each day. We can't thank Daniel, Mark the field supervisor, Alex the head crew leader and his guys enough for a job well done. They exceeded our expectations with the challenge they took on. We are very happy and we highly recommend Highland Hardwood Flooring!

Description of Work
Refinish Hardwood floors

Category hardwood floor

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your kind review. We are glad we could fix the problem and have another happy customer.

04/21/2017

Jacqueline C.

Horribly - Because I had some other work being done, I didn't move into my home until a few months after the flooring work was completed but my contractor had mentioned to me that he noted the floors felt "rough". When I moved in I saw what he meant - you couldn't walk on the floors in socks without the cloth getting stuck/caught on the grain of the wood. Drying to dust mop was impossible for the same reason. And speaking of dust... because the floors weren't sealed correctly, the dust from my renovation actually was trapped within the wood grain and I could never get them clean despite multiple attempts. I called Highlands to report this and, although they were prompt with the expectation of a new job, it was next to IMPOSSIBLE to get Rich on the phone/to an appointment to come back out to see what needed to be fixed. Every time I called to try to schedule an appointment it would take 3 phone calls/messages each time before I got a call back. When I would speak to his scheduler finally it seemed like every day I offered as a good time to meet was a time he was out of time or "he just doesn't work that day". When I finally got a time slot agreed upon... he didn't show up. I called to see what happened and, again, finally got a hold of someone who said Oops I scheduled him for the next day accidentally and, because he has limited availability it took forever to reschedule. When he came out to look at the floors again, he acted like "oh this happens all the time in places with old floors"... to which I want to say, shouldn't you, as a professional that knows that, make sure you don't leave them like this?? Then he refused to give me a direct quote for the amount to pay to now move all my furniture around and fix it. He kept saying "I won't make money on this, I'll get it done for you" but never quoted me a price. I found his entire approach condescending and dismissive. Well, the week they were supposed to start I got a phone call the day BEFORE we had agreed to start work saying they were on their way out. I was at work, could not leave and did not have anyone who could meet them at such short notice. At that point I was DONE with Highland Flooring. I went with another company (River City Flooring) - they were prompt, efficient and straightforward and my floors now look fantastic. I can't stress this enough: I would never use this company again. I have friends in the area that were using them in a staged process to refinish their floors and, after seeing the state mine were in, are now switching to another company for the remainder of the job. I'm contacting the Better Business Bureau to report them. I am contacting my realtor to tell her how shoddy the service was and to advise she never refer them again.

Description of Work
I purchased a 100+ year old condo in the Highlands and Highlands Hardwood Flooring was recommended to me by my realtor. I had a pretty narrow window to get the floors refinished and was pleased when they were prompt with a quote and were able to book my job in a short amount of time.

12/21/2015

Maricela J.

Description of Work
Richard has always done as promised. He keeps in touch and gives details and ideas for projects.

02/08/2015

Mark J.

They did a great job. We still think it looks brand new months later. There was virtually no excess material which keep the price done. We had at least 3 other bids and Highland was the best. We will have some refinishing work done in the spring as well. I recommend highly for hardwood flooring.

Description of Work
We had hardwood flooring put down on the entire upstairs of our house.

01/13/2015

Lauren M K.

Description of Work
First rate job. Very pleased with the workmanship.

Category flooring contractor

10/23/2014

JEFF W.

Description of Work
stripped and refinished hardwood floors. Very knowledgeable, punctual and professional. Work was completed on time. Floors came out very nice and there was no mess.

09/03/2014

Phil D.

They started installing the wrong color wood at first, but realized it before they got too far, and removed it without hassle. It put them about a day behind, but the finished product was worth it. After more than a year, the floor still looks new and matches the kitchen that was installed years earlier by the home builder.

Description of Work
Installed hardwood in two rooms to match joining kitchen

06/11/2014

Thomas H.

Schedule: Took four days as planned. Punctuality: Good. Quality: Very pleased. The repair areas are not a perfect match to the existing flooring, but are close. (Redoing the whole floor would have been best, but this was not a good time for that more extensive work.) The stairs/landings look good. Competence/Professionalism: Stanley, the project leader, was good to work with. He was knowledgeable and was able to answer all my questions. Clean-up: Team did a very good job of cleaning up.

Description of Work
We had replaced our radiators. Over the years the floors beneath the radiators had been damaged. So the primary objective of the project was to repair the damaged areas. (We chose not to refinish the complete floors at this time.) We also removed carpet on the stairs and landings and had the treads and landings sanded and refinished.

09/16/2013

Christina B.

They were pretty good. They came in and did a pretty good job. The company was quick, the guys were real nice and they cleaned up after themselves.

Description of Work
I used Highland Hardwood Flooring to refinish all of our hardwood floors. They stripped the paint off about half of the floor and then recoated it all.

04/20/2011

Harry J.

Our experience with this company began in a positive way. The owner himself came to the house to assess and estimate the cost of installing oak hardwood flooring. He was friendly and seemed knowledgeable. Two or three months after the job was completed, we noticed that over a large area the individual boards had cupped, which is when the seam joining each board is higher, and, instead of having an overall flat appearance, the flooring has an up and down or wavy surface. We called about this and the owner came out and immediately said that it was caused by moisture in coming from the craw space below. He thought also that the air conditioner drain needed to be extended away from the house and that a plastic moisture barrier be laid over the craw space. We followed these recommendations right away and waited for the floor to level out which he said was a possibility, though not a certainty. The adjoining kitchen floor was laid on top of the vinyl surface and the floor has remained smooth because of an effective moisture barrier. Prior to beginning the floor installation the owner did not mention to us that the plastic barrier in the craw space should be done or anything about moving the AC drip line away from the house. This is something we would certainly have done if he had recommended it. We believe that home owners, once having chosen a contractor, rely on him as a professional to tell them everything related to the job, including the concern for potential moisture over a craw space. When the floor boards did not level out, we called and his representative came out and took pictures of the problem. We mentioned that we did not expect to pay for the required sanding, staining, etc. required to remedy the problem. The owner called the next day and, after a long and contentious conversation in which he refused to take any responsibility for not having informed us beforehand of making sure we would not have a problem with moisture if precautions are taken before the job began. His position was that the home owner is responsible for maintaining his property, which we do diligently and would have prepared for a successful result by dealing with the potential downside of laying hardwood over a craw space had he informed us of the need. The conversation ended abruptly when he hung up the phone. Therefore, we caution anyone wanting to have hardwood installed over a craw space, make sure you are well informed about the potential effects of moisture and what to do before the job begins. Unfortunately. this contractor failed to do either and, without incurring the additional costs with him or another company, we can choose to live with things as they are.

Description of Work
Oak hardwood flooring laid in a cottage with a craw space.

Category hardwood floor

Hi [Member Name Removed], we are so sorry for your bad experience with Highland Hardwood Flooring. In May 2017, Highland Hardwood Flooring was bought out and is now under new ownership and management. Going forward we are committed to providing all customers the best service and flooring results possible. If you ever need flooring services again, we would appreciate it if you would give our new team another chance. We promise you won't be disappointed again.

01/10/2011

Harry J.

They were professional. They showed up on time. They actually finished early than they estimated. They asked to borrow something that they didn't have with them. It didn't work when I got it back, but they replaced it for me. Everything was positive, except for the fact that they said they were going to do some trim molding, which they had to come back and do. They also were going to do some other work that still hasn't been done.

Description of Work
They installed about 400 square feet of hardwood flooring. They also sanded in two other rooms, about 200 square feet.

08/15/2007

John M.

My hardwood floors were stained from pets and scuffed all over. Within 2 days, these guys converted them to a beautiful shiny lake of honey. WOW, great job!!! They were on time and finished the project ahead of schedule. THANKS, Mike & Willy.

05/18/2007

They did show up on time and there was a crew of 2 people. The floors look excellent and they did the job exactly how I wanted them to. They even cleaned and polished the floors once they were done and helped me move some furniture back in the room, as well. The workers were very friendly and professional.

Description of Work
We had them install 1,000 square feet of Brazilian cherry hardwood flooring through out the house. They did not remove the old flooring. We did that ourselves to save money.

06/29/2006

THEY WERE PUNCTUAL, THEY DID A GOOD JOB, AND THEY LEFT EVERYTHING PERFECT. THE FLOORS ENDED UP LOOKING EXCELLENT WHEN THEY GOT DONE. I'VE HAD PEOPLE COME OVER AND COMMENT ON HOW GOOD THEY LOOK.

Description of Work
THEY TOOK UP ALL OUR OLD CARPET ON THE FIRST FLOOR AND ON THE STEPS. THEY FANNED IT AND RESURFACED THE FLOORS WITH HARDWOOD FLOORS.