Monthie Mechanical Inc

Founded 1993 • With Angi since August 2007

109 Westhampton Dr

Lexington, KY 40511

Monthie Mechanical Inc. was formed in 1993 by husband and wife team Jeff and Kim Monthie. In five short years Monthie Mechanical Inc. had achieved the honor of becoming Small Business of the Year, awarded by the Greater Lexington Chamber of Commerce. What had begun as a two employee company has grown to a company of sixteen full time employees. In 2007 Monthie Mechanical Inc. obtained a brand new office building with a warehouse and showroom. As the company has grown over the years Jeff and Kim Monthie are still directly involved with the day-to-day operation of the company, making sure that you receive the absolute best service possible from the Monthie Mechanical team. Monthie Mechanical Inc. is dedicated to providing the highest standards of indoor comfort through products, service, education, and integrity for our customers. You can count on us to provide you with a system and solution that fits your unique needs, and since we've installed many systems in this area we've earned a reputation for doing the job right the first time. Any job worth doing is worth doing well....

05/21/2018

Scott F.

Professional, fully explained what issues they found and corrected them.

Description of Work
Service for Geo Thermal Units

08/28/2017

Francois P.

The work was done very professionally. Excellent company .

Description of Work
Replace my old A/C system

07/31/2017

Doug H.

Excellent work, performed efficiently, system works very well.

Description of Work
Replaced second floor hvac with heat pump/natural gas backup system

03/21/2017

rebecca W.

It took probably a day to complete the work. They left the area clean.

Description of Work
Replace the AC system.

10/10/2016

Joseph W.

good products, excellent salesperson, efficient installation, careful moving through our house

Description of Work
New furnace and AC.

07/06/2016

Aaron W.

Called Monthie out in July 2015 to repair an AC unit not cooling. Found pinhole leak in discharge line off outside compressor, repaired with some solder, recharged and was on their way. Called back in February 2016 with no heat. Same issue, pinhole leak in same spot as previously repaired. Service tech said last tech did crappy solder job. Cut me a slight discount on the R410a but still cost me another $700. Called back June 22, 2016 for same issue - no AC. Sprayed the twice repaired area myself and saw bubbles. Said they wouldn't be able to come out until a week later to fix it (meanwhile 90F weather). 2 weeks past their labor warranty meant they weren't going to help with the cost... nor keep me as a customer. Found another provider who fixed the issue that same day, thankfully, as I had to leave town the following day for a week.

Description of Work
Fix leak in AC compressor discharge line - twice

01/06/2016

Blake G.

Called technician for problem with gas heater. Technician came out Saturday January 2nd, charged three times what a filter costs and a diagnostics fee for which he did not provide any sort of estimate for any fixes. Noted some issues, altered our gas pressure but did not write what he changed it to/from. Thats fine, overhead costs are a reality of business and perhaps I would have eventually received an estimate. What happened after is the problem. After altering the gas pressure of the unit a strong gas smell began emanating from the exhaust on the front of the house. Columbia Gas came out, got strong gas readings and red tagged the unit. The next day, Sunday January 3rd) I had Monthie out to see what they had done that caused the gas problem. The technician noted a few specific issues and one main issue. He returned the gas pressure to the original amount and says he will get me a bid. That night we get a gas smell again, this time in the house. Columbia gas comes out, red tagged again. We've never had any of our gas detectors go off or had gas problems in the house before Monthie. Monday comes around, still no estimate, so I call. I don't get the estimate until the end of the day. I get an overpriced estimate for the work. Frustrated with Monthie, I consult with three other companies. None agree with Monthie's assessment. The first company to come to my home notices a blatant and obvious issue with the unit as well as a few other problems. Some of these problems Monthie's technician told me were not an issue. Each of the companies agreed - without my telling them of any of the details from any of the other visits - on the problems, and disagree with Monthie's estimate. Monthie Mechanical has proven themselves to be negligent in their work. Update: Problem was fixed for around $150 with a new thermostat and connecting a drainage tube the Monthie technician left disconnected. No need for a $600 estimate to fix something that was not the issue.

Description of Work
Came out to check why the heater was heating at about 4 degrees less than what the thermostat was set at.

Category auto repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

After having researched and reviewed this complaint, I offer the following. We regret this client is unhappy with our service. I agree that while our technician resolved what he determined to be the immediate problem he missed others. Certainly the lack of combustion air which was never hooked up by original installer would explain the discoloration he found on the heat exchanger. I will be refunding this client their entire bill with my apologies. We try hard to do the next right thing and although we make mistakes we will always set them right. I would still consider getting the combustion air problem fixed, running the furnace in a closed room will damage the furnace.

10/18/2015

Daniel S.

Submitted the work request on Saturday (10-3) morning after smoke started coming out of my unit. That evening I was contacted by Brad saying he had a spot open on Sunday (10-4) and he could be there at 9:30 am. He showed up at 9:25 and got straight to work. He was polite and courteous and downright professional. He did stress that the unit was aged and that it will need to be replaced probably sooner than later, but I didn't feel any pressure to sign up for a whole new unit. When we told him that we just wanted to replace the fan and capacitor he didn't argue or make any looks that would suggest we were making a horrible decision or one that he really felt strongly against. He even sported a good sense of humor, wasn't really expecting that. From this work order I wouldn't hesitate to deal with Monthie again. **10-21-15 Update** Had to bring them back out as the compressor fan started acting funny and not spinning up properly. Turns out the compress was locking out the fan to protect the fan motor from damage. This was due to the fact that the compressor was 4 to 4.5 lbs low on refrigerant. When the second tech looked at the report from the 1st tech he noticed that he hadn't checked the pressure on the system and the compressor was reading about 1.5 to 2 amps to high which is indicative of two things 1) compressor is getting close to end of life, or 2) the refrigerant is low. Guess which the 1st tech didn't check. Which basically means the 500 some odd dollars I spent to replace the fan motor and capacitors was probably a total waste. I do not know if I can do business with them again. I will give them the opportunity to give me a good deal on a replacement system over this. I will update after I get the estimate and how response to the situation Monthie is/will be. Had the 1st tech checked saw that the refrigerant was that low we probably just tossed the system, but now I'm down nearly 600 between the two calls. Needless to say I am less than thrilled right now. I will not change my previous rating until I get back the estimate and how willing HQ is willing to work with me after their tech missed an obvious part of the system to check.

Description of Work
Replaced the condenser motor fan and capacitor.

09/29/2015

Elizabeth L.

From the time Joe, Monthie's sales person enter our home they impressed us with there professionalism. The first thing Joe did was to put covers over his shoes to protect the carpet. Joe showed us all our our options including all the rebates that were available for choosing high efficiency equipment. After getting estimates from other companies we called Joe back mainly because he told us that there was a $600 rebate being offered on their Carrier Infinity gas furnace, that no other company told us of. After talking to Joe It only took 3 or 4 days for Monthie to start installing the equipment. We contacted the gas company and got their advice as where to place the gas inlet pipe. Installation of the gas line, furnace exhaust and fresh air pipes were not easy because we have a finished basement. But the Monthie workers got it all done in about 4 days. After the install was complete Joe sat down with us and explained how to claim all the rebates that were offered, and even provided all the forms for us to file and copies of proof of purchase for each rebate. Which totaled $1500.00 in all. Joe also gave us an owner's manual and explained the warranties. All in all we were very satisfied with our experience dealing with Monthie Mechanical.

Description of Work
Replaced our non-working heat pump system with a Carrier hi-efficiency AC and natural gas furnace.

09/11/2015

Ronald Q.

A technician came to the house as soon as we called about our current system not working. The air handler in the attic was 31 years old so he recommended we replace it. Erica came to the house the next day and gave us an estimate. She was very professional and gave us three options. She was not the least bit high pressure. We signed a detailed contract and set up a date for the work to be done. The installers arrived to the job site at the appointed date & time. They did exactly what was stated in the contract. They put down runners to protect the carpets. They got the job done in one day as they promised. They cleaned up after themselves and hauled away the old equipment. The new system is doing a great job. The price seemed a little high but I got an estimate from another company and Monthie was actually less expensive. So I think price was fair. Over all I am very pleased with my experience with Monthie Mechanical.

Description of Work
Changed out old heat pump and air handler that was in my attic. Installed a new thermostat and also added a new return and a partial walkway to the unit to make it easier for us to access in order to change the filter.

05/14/2015

Raymond G.

Excellent customer service engineer, delivered on quoted services, installation crew was efficient. One follow-up visit was required and performed almost immediately after the phone call was made. Overall, very good company to work with. After a year and a half, system works great and has lowered my heating and a/c costs.

Description of Work
Replaced heat pump and air conditioning system, added electronic air filter system.

Category auto repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your kind statements regarding our HVAC services for your home. Could you please remove the category of Auto Services as it is confusing other customers. Thank you

05/13/2015

william C.

We've used them for years. We have a service plan and our service plan is $600 but we have three units. It's extremely thorough. We call them once a year to go to two houses to go for emergencies and they came out and they did a very good job so we've just been with them ever since because they provided a good service and we liked the way they've done business with us. I give them an A for just everything because they've always been on time, given good service, the people have been courteous and thorough so there's not really anything on the categories that I would give them anything less than an A. I'll have spring checkup in a month or so.

Description of Work
We've had Monthie Mechanical do all our A/C stuff. They did a winter checkup.

05/06/2015

Allen F.

They did a good job. I thought they were straightforward. They're pretty much upfront about the cost and transparent. I thought that that was a good way to do things. They're a little bit higher than the others. I will definitely call them again.

Description of Work
They replaced my humidifier down the basement.

Category auto repair

Thank you for your rating of our services for your home. We appreciate the time you took to post this review. Would you please take a moment to change the rating category from Auto Services to HVAC as this is confusing other customers. Thank you again for your kindness.

04/28/2015

Thomas R.

The job went very well. Initially the new digital thermostat didn't work, but the contractor was very responsive when I called it to their attention and they returned and fixed it in a reasonable time frame.

Description of Work
Replaced gas furnace & thermostats

04/27/2015

Claire F.

Brad is our primary contact person at Monthie. We have had a number of issues over the past year due to the age of our house, requiring several visits. Brad is amazing - punctual, clean, smart, efficient, and always considers the best and least expensive way to solve any HVAC problem.

Description of Work
Installed 2 air conditioners, fixed 2 attic fans, repaired a roof leak around a furnace vent, fixed a furnace water leak.

04/26/2015

Sund H.

They were very efficient and used the latest methods and it still looks good 10 years later. Yes they charge a little bit more but you are getting the BEST!

Description of Work
I needed to update the electric and plumbing in my basement. This also included and exterior outlet. I am posting this review late. Monthie Mechanical was referred to me by a previous customer. I was not on Angie's list then so I cannot be sure about the exact date of this service.

04/08/2015

Larry D.

They don't try to oversell. They're knowledgeable. They fixed the problem the first time. Prices are good.

Description of Work
I've used Monthie Mechanical. They're a HVAC company.

Category auto repair

10/14/2014

John C H.

They were timely, fair priced and professional.

Description of Work
New A/C.

06/10/2014

Cindy W.

The replacement went very well, they were prompt in reviewing my needs and did an excellent job at helping me to decide on a new unit that worked based on my home size and other factors that were important to me. I did not have nay issues during the replacement and have not experienced any issues with the unit. Monthie services my remaining old unit and my new one twice each year. The service tech is usually very punctual and does a great job keeping my old unit running .

Description of Work
They replaced one of my heat and air units

04/25/2014

Sharon H.

I had many questions about the transition from electric to gas heat, and the team was very obliging about thoroughly answering those questions. The work was completed in a very prompt and orderly manner, and the end result has been very satisfying. I am thankful for the professionalism of the entire team and the quality of the work they performed.

Description of Work
Replaced a heat pump with a gas furnace and air conditioning unit

04/01/2014

Mike H.

Monthie Mechanical did an exceptional job in every aspect of this project. Estimate was prompt and descriptive. Price was comparable to other estimates but services were more extensive. Installers were perfectionists. Great follow-up also. The entire job was neat and professional. I have used several local HVAC companies and this has been by far my best experience.

Description of Work
Replace central air (coils and condenser). Move unit to side of house. Re-vent furnace.

03/28/2014

Robert M.

I found him to be courteous, professional, open about what he was doing, and ready to answer any questions we had.

Description of Work
Our furnace stopped lighting sometime overnight, we woke up to a cold house. Our regular furnace company was backed up and unable to come out for at least 24 hours. Based on Angie's list we decided to try Monthie Mechanical. They were able to get a technician to our house in about 3 hours. He troubleshot the problem ( a burned out ignitor ) quickly, explained the problem and the fix, and fixed it quite quickly. While the covers were off the furnace he gave the system a quick checkover and pronounced it sound.

03/17/2014

Lee J.

He lied and said he talked to Carrier when he didn't. His service was overpriced. Paid for service call, knew it wasn't right. Found out that particular model of evaporator coil we had was failing frequently. Called back, it was more than you just did. The servcie contract expired 30 days before they came back out. The repair should have been covered by the labor contract. They called back after talking to Carrier. It was going to const $600 to repair. I asked for a case # and contact at Carrier and they couldn't provide either. He is not honest.

Description of Work
They came out to repair air conditioning. They misrepresented the cost and the nature of my warranty.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

This Carrier system was installed 6/30/08 with a 5 year labor warranty and a 10 year parts warranty. We were contacted on 8/26/13 regarding a problem with the system. Nearly 2 months past the expired labor warranty date. We found the system to be low on refrigerant, charged the system with 2.39 lbs of refrigerant and recommended a leak test. We returned on 8/28/13 to perform the leak test at a discounted price. The leak was located in the evaporator coil. On 8/29/13 we contacted the homeowner after consultation with our Carrier Tech Rep, with a repair price that included a new evaporator coil under their parts warranty and a labor plus materials price of $499.33 to make the repair. At no time from the date of installation to the date of failure did the homeowner contact us for maintenance on this system which may have caught the failure prior to the labor warranty expiration date. The homeowner declined the repair stating that he was going to join a class action lawsuit against Carrier regarding the problem of formicary corrosion of evaporator coils This issue affects all brands of equipment not just Carrier. Carrier has however; been a leader in the research of this condition and has in fact published a paper regarding the issue (http://aplusair.ca/files/2013/10/Carrier-Evaporator-Coil-Formicary-Corrosion-Report.pdf). Our office has been in constant contact with Carrier Tech Reps regarding this issue, this homeowner’s case was discussed with our Tech Rep by our service department and our quote for repairs was made accordingly. Carrier does not issue a case number to us as a dealer, however; they may do so if a homeowner contacts Carrier directly. This entire episode only reinforces the importance of routine maintenance on your HVAC system. You would not drive your automobile 5 years without performing routine maintenance. Why would you do this to the most expensive appliance in your home?

01/28/2014

Marien S.

I had 5 different compaies quote my new heat pump system to replace the old system with 3 locked compressors. This company did a fantastic job in regards to details. The measured every room, windows, ari ducts and verfied I needed a 3 ton unit to replace the old 3.5 ton unit. Not the 4 ton most other companies wanted to do. This alone would save me money. I would of used this company but one of my other quotes provided a better labor warranty. I'd go back to these company. thye did a great presentation and their homework for my heat pump ssytem.

01/09/2014

patrick D.

Brad Irvin was prompt, courteous and efficient. He communicated the process and the repair clearly so I understood what he was doing. I would definitely do business with Monthie Mechanical again!

Description of Work
repaired heater