Kevin's Carpets

Lexington, KY 40503

Flooring retail....

11/16/2020

Lori W.

It went great from the beginning to the end. The sales rep. arrived on time at the property with samples. They were flexible on scheduling when I called and had to move the installation date back a few days. The installation crew was right on time and did a great job. The carpet looks fantastic. I'm extremely pleased and would definitely recommend Kevin's Carpets to anyone!

Description of Work
Installed wall-to-wall carpet in townhouse rental property.

07/20/2018

melinda B.

Was happy with product but a young female employee was extremely rude and abrasive. Do not think I would hire again after being treated like that

Description of Work
new carpeting for several rooms

01/17/2018

Shannon V.

First off, the show room experience was great. Blake was a helpful salesperson and led me to purchase a very good carpet I think. However, you are only as strong as your weakest link, and Kevin’s weakest link is absolutely the installation service. My parents had carpet installed by them before us and had a really bad experience with the installer, so we went to the store and were assured that particular installer was no longer working for them, and we would have Bill who was very good. When he showed up his helper had called in sick so he had to install alone. Even though our carpet was ordered a month in advance, when he got there he realized he did not have the stair carpet and would have to come back. But then, he never came back and Kevin’s said they couldn’t get in touch with him. So we waited a week for another installer to come. When he came and did the stairs, he also didn’t have enough carpet until my husband found some extra he could use. So he used that, but he stair carpet looked really bad - loose and not attached well. My husband asked him but he reassured him “that’s how it is supposed to look.” But when we looked at it later it was obviously really bad. I called Blake and he came out the next day to see it and agreed the quality was not up to standard. So, he scheduled a re-do of the stairs for the next week. But then I found out he had scheduled the same installer who did a poor job in the first place! I insisted on a different installer, and they agreed but we had to wait another 2 weeks or so. When that installer (the third) came, he saw the situation and said he needed a complete new stair carpet: so after another week he came out and finally repaired the stairs. He did an awesome job and was explaining to his assistant all the errors made by the previous installer. So, overall the company eventually fixed the issue but this was a 2 month headache and thus I would not recommend Kevin’s unless they significantly gain quality control over their installer contractors!

Description of Work
We went to Kevin’s to purchase carpet for our upstairs and stairway.

11/28/2016

Steve S.

The workers were very professional and they did not complain when the A/C accidentally got cut off. It must have been 98 degrees when they finished installing the carpet. Sorry about that!

Description of Work
Install carpet for entire upstairs of house.

10/12/2015

Doug I.

Kevin's Carpets was recently named "Best Retail Carpet Store" in the Lexington area in a survey conducted. I saw the review and made this one of our choices to visit when we changed the carpet in our guest suite. Rebecca was very professional and showed us what we were looking for in a matter of minutes. We shopped another carpet store and the price was about the same, but we were impressed with our experience at Kevin's so we decided to use them instead. It turned out to be a very good choice. When the installers arrived and started pulling up the existing carpet water damage was visible on one wall. The installers offered to return the carpet to the warehouse and come back at a later time once the leak was corrected. It took several weeks to get the repairs made and when we contacted Kevin's again to proceed they were able to schedule us in within days with no additional charge for the second trip. The install was completed timely and the carpet looks great. We couldn't be happier with our experience and would highly recommend Kevin's Carpets.

Description of Work
Remove carpet and pad. Install new carpet and pad.

08/10/2015

Hubert F.

They had to order the carpet special. When I came it had not been cut yet. We had to send it back to get it adjusted. A week later they came back and installed it and it all went well.

Description of Work
Sold us outdoor carpet for our back porch.

06/07/2015

Amy M.

Owners son from Kevin's Carpets was very helpful. Came to our home and measured for hardwood flooring. Was very friendly and professional. Got figures and he gave us a price of $3000 to do the work. Spent the next 2 days taking home samples to decide color, which again he was very helpful. Decided on Fri, what we wanted to have done and were ready to set up install, but the son was out that day so we worked with the owner to finalize the sale. But then the owner came back with a price that was over $1200 MORE than we had written! I showed him what we got in writing from his son's price them but he said he wouldn't honor it. To me, that's called a "Bait and Switch" tactic. We asked owner to contact his son to find out why there was such a big increase but he wouldn't call him. The owner then promised he would have his son contact us the next day, Sat, but we never receive a call from him or anyone from that business. So we feel we wasted 3 days on something they didn't plan to honor. If you go there, get the contract figures right before signing, because changing the figures so drastically and not honoring what they put in writing is very BAD business. I had hoped businesses would have stopped doing that kind of tactic to pull someone in for a sale long ago. We had really hoped it would have worked out so we could have had someone local do the work. Only deal with people that are trusted to honor their prices and not change them on day of sale. The old adage is true here, if it's too good to be true, it probably is, just my personal opinion. Very unprofessional behavior. UPDATE: The response from the Manager here is WRONG and full of lies! Kevin the owner was the one who was not friendly. At no point did I become angry, he pulled the bait and switch on the price. His son came to our home with the exact same samples we showed the owner when we came back in to buy and Chad was the one who took the measurements and brought those same samples to our home. He even let us keep them for a few hours to decide on what we liked best. My wife was involved with the dealings all along, even going there twice and talking to both the son and the owner, so saying she was not involved was another lie! The son showed us the samples and gave us IN WRITING the price for the samples he showed us, not another set of look alikes, but the owner, his Dad, wouldn't honor it. He wouldn't even call his son to confirm when we were there to make the purchase or even try and work with us, he was the one who was angry and nasty and said he would not honor the written offer we had. I never left there saying anything but I was disappointed in how they do business and would go to another dealer for more honesty. So for them to lie in there comments here is proof that they don't stand by what they offer. They did say they would call and try and clear up the matter the next day but never did, and I did get a better honest deal from a competitor. The truth is the truth and there is no need for them to continually lie about what happened. So you decide if you trust them or not. I for one won't.

Description of Work
Came to home and did measure for hardwood flooring, gave price for work to be done. Gave us a price, then increased it when we were ready to buy.

Category flooring contractor,hardwood floor

First of all [member name removed] has never talked to or met anyone from Kevin's Carpets. All her information was second hand from her husband. [member name removed] came in on a Friday. Which is Chad's( his salesperson) day off. He pointed to a product and said Chad had given him a price of $3300 for that product in the area measured. When I figured that product for his area it came up significantly higher. I told him he would need to talk to Chad because I could not figure out how to get that product anywhere near that price. He got angry and said he was going to a competitor to get his flooring. Chad did not call him back because he did not feel there was any point after the way [member name removed] left. After reading this review Chad and I tried to figure out what happened. Chad never took the product that [member name removed] pointed out to me. However some of the products he did take to the [member name removed] home look very similar and some even have the same manufacturer logo. But they are different products and different prices. These products are the ones Chad priced [member name removed]. Not the one he pointed to when he came in. Had [member name removed] not gotten so angry and nasty Chad would have called him and clarified the situation.

03/24/2015

Melanie L.

I had a great experience with Kevin's Carpets. My estimate was fair. Work was done as stated by professional installers. The staff was educated and helped show my the best product to meet my needs. I will use This vendor for my next carpet purchase.

Description of Work
I had all the carpet in my house replaced.

06/07/2014

joyce W.

We spent quite a bit of time in the store working with the sales person to help us select the appropriate floor covering for a cement slab. During the discussion we informed the salesman that we had a large dog and small chidren, so we needed a durable product. We were shown a lament wood product that was sold as the most durable with a 25 year warranty. After purchasing the product we were told to leave product in the rooms for a few days to acclamate the product to the house tempurature, which we did. The installers were a man and wife team that were on time and nice, but were smokers which was a problem for us due to allergies. The flooring ws installed nicely and timely. One week to the day later my son spilled a cup with an ice cube in it and when we woke up the floor was ruined with bubbles and warping. Kevn's carpets was called and they avoided the call and woud not return the call in a timely manner. It took a personal visit to the store where they were not friendly and condesending. Kevin did finally agreed to review the damaged where he contined to be unprofessional. He stated the product was wood and everyone knows wood and water do not mix. By this time I wanted him to leave my house. To rectify the issue he required us to buy more product and he paid for labor. He stated he did not have to pay for the labor, but would and that we should be happy he is out $100, when we just spent $2,200 to replace our carpetn with this expense product that turned out to be junk. Kevin is short sighted as we have over $7,000 worth of flooring to replace and I will not even step into the store. This apparently is a sore subject as it is two years later and I am still not happy.

Description of Work
Installed lament floor in two downstairs rooms.

Category flooring contractor

It is every customers reasonability to probably care and maintain floors after they are purchased. Laminate is a wood product and does not do well with water and will blow up if water is left unattended on the floor for long periods of time. In this case a large amount of water was left on the floor and the floor swelled up. We as a company gave the customer a care package and a cleaning kit and we never once stated that this floor was water proof or water resistant. Kevin did offer to replace sections of the floor at our cost since the product was just installed. We have sold thousands of boxes of this product through out Lexington and this is the only complaint that we have ever received so we stand by the product as a quality product. It is unfortunate that the customer has had a bad experience with the laminate and perhaps has purchased the wrong product for her home since she appears to be having additional problems with the laminate swelling. She did tell us she had a large dog and kids and yes we did direct her to laminate. It is much more durable than wood and will be less likely to scratch but water issues are a whole different situation. That being said this product with proper care and maintenance is a product that will last years even in a busy home.

06/06/2014

Lee B.

The process went very well from the initial purchasing discussion at the store thru the install. We were shown several carpet types and given an overview of their benefits. We mentioned that we had very little traffic in the upstairs (we're empty nesters) and that our main concern was stain resistance since we have the occasional pet accident. The sales person quickly suggested an alternative Shaw carpet that was much less expensive - very stain resistant yet not quite as good in high traffic areas. We are very pleased with the carpet - it looks great is very soft under foot and will serve our needs. The pad that they include in installation had pet accident benefits as well as being much better than the pad we had from our home builder carpet install. It feels very nice to walk on. During the ordering process they called us back and said they were able to get a reduced price from the manufacturer which they passed on to us in addition to honoring the coupon we used from Angie's list. On the day of installation 5 installers arrived and they were able to complete the install of 1200sq feet of carpet in just over half a day. They took pictures of each room so they could put the furniture back in its position. We received instructions from Kevin's carpets in the mail which advised us the steps we needed to do to prepare for the installation (ie all items off surfaces of furniture, closet floors clean). Overall I couldn't be more satisfied with the experience. We selected Kevin's carpets because of their strong reviews on Angie's list!

Description of Work
Replaced carpet on upper floor of my home. 3 bedrooms, closets and hallways. They removed all the old carpet and moved bedroom furniture.

03/31/2014

Robert H.

Everything went great. Would use them again.

Description of Work
Carpet.

10/21/2013

Janice H.

I was very happy with the installation and promptness in complying with the agreed schedule. I have called Diane a couple of times regarding the purchase of the proper vacuum to keep the carpet clean. I was advised that certain vacuums void the warranty of certain manufacturer's carpets, and the best vacuum to clean my type of carpeting. Recently, my question regarded the best cleaning process for the carpet I had installed. Diane thoroughly explained the difference in the various methods, and recommended the proper method for the carpeting I had installed. I had compared their price to other stores, and found them to be the most competitive, and willing to work with my budget. This summer I purchased two indoor/outdoor carpets, and have been very pleased with the wear, look and colors they have maintained. Overall, I find Kevin's Carpets completely pleasant to do business with, and I am completely satisfied with all of their services, advise and products. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Measured, showed samples, explained difference between various carpets, made recommendations. Showed pad samples and advised the best for wear, etc. Advised on carpet on stairway. Recommended carpet based on their experience with the manufacture and wear Measured and installed same.

10/21/2013

Karen H.

Approximately 5 years ago, Kevin's Carpets replaced our upstairs and downstairs carpets. We were so happy with the service and installation that when we were ready to do new flooring a year ago, we went back to Kevin's. At that time we had wood floors installed downstairs in our office area, hallway, dining room and kitchen and ceramic tile in our laundry room. We were very happy with the entire process from beginning to end. The salesman came out, measured, gave us a quote and we were able to order the flooring that same day. It took about a week to two weeks to get on the schedule and for the flooring to come in. The installer (Chuck) did a great job. We felt very comfortable with him coming in and out of our house when we weren't home, which is something we don't usually allow. He did the entire wood flooring in each room without any transitions strips, which is amazing! He also did a great job laying the tile in the laundry room. We were so happy with Kevin's Carpets and Chuck that we have decided to extend that same wood flooring into our livingroom. We had what we thought were just a couple little "mishaps" with one of our animals last week, so I called Diane at Kevin's. She suggested maybe replacing the pad under the carpet. She was able to get one of their installers to come out within just a few hours. When he pulled the carpet back to replace the pad, we realized it was much worse than we first thought. We decided rather than trying to replace the pad under the carpet that we would just replace it with the wood flooring (yay!!). We called Diane at Kevin's Carpets and was able to get a salesman to come out (we were desperate), get a quote and the flooring ordered all in the same day! We also decided that while we are putting wood floors in our livingroom that we would redo the fireplace at the sametime and put ceramic tile on the floor in front of and around the fireplace (another yay!!). Our flooring and ceramic tile will be in next week and will be installed (by Chuck) the following week. The very first time we needed new flooring about 12 years ago, we went to one of our local "home improvement" stores. I will NEVER do that again! I would highly recommend Kevin's Carpets and we will be going back to Kevin's for any flooring needs in the future, which according to my husband, will not be for a while :))

Description of Work
Carpeting installed upstairs and downstairs 5 years ago. Ceramic tile installed in our laundry room and wood floors in our office area, hallway, dining room and kitchen last year Wood floors being extended into our livingroom now (the $1,600 is for this service)

Category carpet installation,ceramic tile,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

10/17/2013

Hogan or Michelle C.

Sales and installation went well. However afterwards when I had a few issues that I am willing to pay to get resolved they are not very responsive.

Description of Work
Installed tile and hardwood.

Category ceramic tile,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

Mr. (member name removed), In June of this year, we spent an entire week in your home while you where gone and replaced all of the flooring in your home. You spent exactly $11,555 with us, not $14,000. You returned to your home and found the floors completed as ordered. Now, months after the initial installation, you had more work done in your home, replacing the back door and needed one small piece of quarter round to be replaced. So this is a repair that is not caused by us! One of our salesman, Brock, has been communicating with you by email for a little over two weeks. We have ordered the quarter round and asked you to pay for the strip and OUR cost to send our installer out to your home and do the repair, which you said you would get to it "sometime this week". We have already scheduled, with you, for Bo to do the repair the morning of Oct 28th. I do not believe that there is an issue or a valid reason for posting this review, since the piece of quarter round is ordered and the repair is scheduled. Sincerely, Diana

10/07/2013

Constance S.

We are thrilled with the work. It took a full week because it was a lot of work. Since we work full time we had to trust, Chuck and Kevin's Carpets to come in on their own, and do the work. Everything was cleaned up at the end of each day. The couple of times we saw Chuck, he was so pleasant and so professional. We will definitely use Kevin's Carpets again. Thank you to Chuck. He is a true professional.

Description of Work
Put down hardwood in the upstairs hall way and down the stairs (which were originally carpeted) and replaced the railings and posts.

Category flooring contractor,hardwood floor

08/01/2013

Gretchen T.

We were so excited to be able to get new frieze carpet. It is so soft and plush and looks so much better than what was installed in our house originally. Replacing the carpet makes such a difference to the look of the house. And Kevin's Carpets made it so much easier. They came in, measured the room for FREE, brought samples based on what I suggested and were dead on with them, and then gave us a quote on them right then and there. We were able to make our selection, schedule the install and then pay for it right from the convenience of our home. Couldn't have been easier! I can't imagine using anyone else for my flooring. We will never use anyone else besides Kevin's Carpets. The service is amazing! Friendly and punctual. Thank you so much for our floors. We love them!

Description of Work
Installed carpet in our living room.

07/30/2013

Edith D.

Kevin's Carpets were very easy to work with and very accommodating. I picked out the tiles, flooring and everything. That was the first thing. They made that pretty easy. I made choices at their showroom of the ones I liked the most and then they brought them out, so that I could look at those in the light of my condos. They told me a lot about the installer and that there would probably be only one person coming in and out of my house. That was reassuring to me because I'm a single female. I felt like they were watching out for me that way. I think they were very professional that way. The guy who did the work was a true artist. He was a true craftsman. That's a difficult thing, because you're having to move all your furniture. It's a big deal, when you're having flooring replaced all over your house. I was very anxious about it. Not only was he exceptional at his job, at what he did, but he made that so easy for me. I just couldn't be happier with the work that was done and them as a whole, as a company. The price probably was fair. I'm willing to pay for the service I get. It was well worth it.

Description of Work
They installed hardwood flooring put down all over my house in my condo. I had tile put in my kitchen, two entryways and the bathrooms.

Category ceramic tile,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

07/26/2013

Gretchen T.

We had new flooring placed in our Kitchen and Living room and could not be happier! Service was amazing all the way from getting the quote to getting the new flooring! As scheduled, on time, and amazing product! Our house looks like a new house! I can't wait to be able to do the top floor bedrooms, etc. I would use no one else but Kevin's Carpets. Service is amazing and makes all the difference when comparing to the large box stores. I choose the smaller, local business any day of the week!

Description of Work
Installed laminate floors in kitchen and living room.

05/09/2013

ELISSA B.

I went to Kevin's Carpet as I was referred to them by multiple people as "the place to go in Lexington" for carpet. Boy was I wrong. At first I was very happy with them and their customer service and their staff seemed knowledgable. The sales rep took a lot of time to go over the different styles, prices, warranties, etc. until I found a carpet I liked . They came out twice for measurements as I added an extra room. They also kept the store open longer for me one evening so I could pick out a tile after work. When I was qouted I noticed that the prices were not the same as I was told in the stores and found out that the prices I was given were "sale prices" and were no longer doable even though it was less than a week later! I was able to get them to drop the price a little bit, but not to the point of what I was told orginally. Normally I would just go elsewhere, but due to my travel schedule with work and the date which I have to be out of my rental and into my new home I purchased ( a fixer upper) I stuck with them. The carpet and tile job covered about 1600 sq. feet and took should take about three/four days (still in the process). The installers are wonderful and have been incredilby helpful and I do not blame my experience with Kevin's Carpet on them. Also, I will note that the tile looks amazing and I am very happy with it as well. Today came the biggest blow as it was the day the carpet was to be installed. I realized that the carpet that was being installed was NOT the carpet I had ordered. It was the same brand and color but not the same style. I had ordered the more modern longer fiber carpet and this was the short, more traditional, shorter fiber carpet. After calling the store and speaking to the owner, I was told that they ordered the wrong thing and that they did not have any of my carpet in stock and they would have to have it delivered from GA to get it. While I appreciate the offer and would have liked that haven been done, they could not 100% guarantee that the carpet could be installed before Monday night, as I have to be completely moved out of my rental by Wednesday, so I decided to keep the carpet they delivered. They did meet my request of a large discount which I accepted and really appreciate, but it does not change the fact that I now have to deal with carpet that I do not particularly like as it is a completely different style. The job is still not complete and I have not been home from work yet to see what this carpet looks like. The carpet itself is a decent carpet, but when you pay a small fortune for carpet you expect to get what you paid for. While I am very pleased with the actual instillation and appreciate the store owner trying to make things right I will not purchase or recommend them in the future.

Description of Work
Carpet instillation of 1600 sq. feet and tile instillation of 60 sq. feet. Also removal of old carpet and tile.

Category carpet installation

We appreciate very much having a (member name removed) as a customer and we too are very unhappy that her carpet installation did not go as planned, and we cannot apologize enough for that. First let me address the price difference that was mentioned. We have sale promotions, that are driven by the carpet mills, where special discounts are passed on to the consumer. Once the time period ends we are unable to still honor a sale price. The sale had ended one week before, so those prices where gone, but we did however work with her the absolute best that we could. Secondly, the salesman made an honest mistake when filling out the order sheet, entered the incorrect style number, which resulted in the wrong carpet being ordered. It was the same exact fiber, color, quality and weight but was the plush version, not the twisted version that the (member name removed) had wanted. When the problem was brought to my attention by the installer on the day of installation, I immediately called the mill to arrange for the correct carpet to be delivered. (member name removed) had stated that the carpet must be installed by Monday evening. I called my sales rep and arranged for the carpet to be hot rushed to me in order to make that happen. I felt very strongly that we would have her job completed by Monday end of day, but since I do not control the mill and the trucking company I could not promise a 100% completion. As it turned out, the carpet was not available at the mill, and would not be available for shipment for more than a week, which would not work. We offered to upgrade the thickness of the carpet to the next level, but the timing would not work with (member name removed)'s schedule. (member name removed) decided to go ahead and have the carpet installed and we agreed on a $1500 refund. The carpet was completely installed by the end of day Friday (which was the scheduled time). Once again, we apologize that all did not go as planned and for the additional stress that we may have caused. We hope everything goes well with fixing up (member name removed)'s new home. Diana

03/11/2013

Ruth Anne M.

I couldn't have asked for a more smooth purchase and installation. I would recommend Kevin's carpet to anyone. The office personnel/sales people were great but the installers were the reason I would have this done again by Kevin's in a heartbeat. Great job and we love the new look.

Description of Work
New carpet installed in family room. Carpet from that room installed in smaller living room. Living room carpet removed. All clean up, furniture moving, etc done by installers.

12/31/2012

Paula H.

I worked with Diana in selecting my carpet--she is extremely knowledgeable!! Very, very helpful with the pros/cons of each type of carpet for my needs. Installation was several hours longer than expected, but he was so concerned about getting every seam perfect (and there were A LOT of seams), that it was definitely worth it! He did a great job of installing.

Description of Work
Buy carpet for LR, stairs, upstairs hallway, and install.

11/02/2012

DAVID L.

David & another member of the installation team arrived at 10:15AM of the appointed date and finished at 2:00PM. Efficient , professional approach to removal of old carpet, prep for new and installation of new. High quality product and proper installation. Very pleased.

Description of Work
Replaced old carpeting in master bedroom.

07/05/2012

Kathryn L.

Just perfect in every way. Nice young man came out to measure house on the same day I called the store. he emailed me an estimate that night, went into the store where Diane helped us pick out some flooring within the estimate. Was installed today by Beau, whom is an absolute professional and a delight to speak with. We felt like we got small town service in a big city. We couldn't be happier or ask for more. I hope you are still open in 25 years when this floor needs replacing! :)

Description of Work
Kenecto faux wood flooring in finished basement.

Category flooring contractor

06/13/2012

Anne S.

The sale and purchase of the carpet went well. Once the deal was completed and we had a problem with the installation process we never heard from the owners again unless we were the ones to contact them. There was a total lack of interest as to what occurred at our home. The installer made an error in cutting the hallway carpet and resulted in our having to allow them in a room that was not to be disturbed. I asked the installer if we should call the owner and he said he knew what the owner would say, "correct the problem." In order to proceed to correct the problem we took everything out of the room which was not to have carpet so they could stretch the carpet to match the hall carpet. When the installers were in this room a piece of our furniture was damaged and since the installer's story as to what happened and ours were at odds no resolution has taken place. The owners did not offer to come to our home or call to discuss the situation.

Description of Work
Carpet was purchased and installed.

Category carpet installation

Yes there was a piece of furniture damaged in the installation process. We filed a claim with our insurance company. We where not aware that the furniture was not repaired. We will contact the client to discuss this issue. Diana

05/22/2012

samuel Y.

We were very satisfied with Kevin's. ?The only comment, is that it seemed to take a really long time. ?I like the fact that they included the removal, haul away, and carpet pad in the price. ?They also didn't charge extra for moving furniture. We are very happy with the quality of the carpet, and the way the installers made sure the seams were in the right places. ?They were very conscientious of the seams. ?One of the reasons why I think it took so long?was because they only had two installers. ?If they would have had more people, the job would have gone a lot faster. ?The job took longer than we thought, but we are still very happy with the outcome. We would use them again.

Description of Work
We used Kevin's Carpets last week. They replaced carpet in our home.