House Of Diamonds

With Angi since October 2008

11805 College Blvd

Overland Park, KS 66210

Located in Overland Park Kansas House of Diamonds has been making dreams come true since Gene Cullinane founded it in 1995. House of Diamonds is proud of its extremely energetic and skilled staff. We will give you an education on diamonds and metals as well as the machines that will be used to create your design. All work is performed on site and can be completed within a few days, and frequently while you wait! House of Diamonds offers: •diamond consultation •custom jewelry design •repair •refurbishment and appraisals We believe that the more you know, the happier you will be with your custom designed jewelry. When you visit House of Diamonds and see our custom jewelry design and creation capabilities, you will understand why we are considered one of the premiere custom jewelry designers in the Midwest ....

07/12/2017

Levi E.

VERY well. Great work. Especially for adding on to such an old ring, they made it blend perfectly. Would go back.

Description of Work
They added on to an antique ring for my wife.

Mark B.

The work was performed quickly with no issues. The appraisals were for insurance purposes. They took the time to review all three appraisals with me.

Description of Work
Appraised 3 rings and tightened 5 loose diamonds on one ring and 2 on another.

Mark B.

People at the store are very friendly. Karin was on time for the appointment and spent time with me to explain the process and the appraisals. She seemed very knowledgeable on the pieces. Since I paid for a rush appraisal (additional $20 per item), I was able to get the information quickly so I could pass along to the attorney managing the probate process. They offered me beverages and went out of their way to try to ensure I felt comfortable.

Description of Work
Rush orders for fair market value of two estate rings.

Mark B.

Gene spent considerable time with me and my husband explaining what the issue was with my diamond and what to expect if I were to pursue trying to replace the diamond since it is insured. He took his time with us and offered a lot of helpful advise. He was able to confirm as a second opinion that the diamond had a flaw. I had visited a different store and they said the same thing about the condition of the diamond. I would highly recommend House Of Diamonds.

Description of Work
Free consultation regarding what to do with a chipped ring.

08/07/2014

Todd B.

From the beginning everything was perfect, from Karin listening to what we wanted and coming up with a design to meet our needs. Gene was great in helping us pick out the correct stone and the builders are just the best in the business. Great job and many thanks for years to come.

Description of Work
Custom built necklace for wife and such high quality will be handed down from generation to generation

08/04/2014

ANNETTE P.

They were extremely friendly and professional and did a great job explaining how exactly this would be done. The cost was very reasonable and the turnaround was fast. We even got a tour of the back working area. (:

Description of Work
My platinum wedding and engagement rings had to be increased in size.

04/15/2014

Kevin N.

I brought in a pair of earrings because the hoop that was holding the diamonds to the base had worn away over the years. They took the time to show me how to look at the situation using a jewelers loop and then explained exactly what they were going to do to repair the broken one and showed me a similar situation on the other. They explained all of their charges clearly, offered a quicker turnaround for a premium price, but I declined. They took a week to get the work done and offered me the opportunity bring other jewelry in to be cleaned when i picked them up. When I picked up the earrings, i did bring in my wife's wedding ring and a watch to be cleaned. While that was happening, the owner took the time to show me all of their build and repair equipment. I have to say I was very impressed with the investment they have there. The cleaned the two other items and showed me where one of the mounting bands on an accent diamond on my wife's ring was wearing down. They offered to repair that and to map the main stone for insurance purposes some time in the future. My wife doesn't want to proceed with the repair at this time, but this is where i am going when she does.

Description of Work
Earring repair

04/05/2014

Eugenia E.

I went there because of all the good reviews that they had received - went into the shop expecting to be offered something to drink as the other reviewers stated they had been offered - Never got that offer - Young clerk gave me an estimate of about $340 to size up 3 rings - one wedding band, 1 engagement ring, and one ring with four small diamonds - I told her that I really didn't want to leave my wedding band - she stated that they could do a rush on it and I could get it back within 48 hours - the owner came out of his office to help someone else - when he walked past me and asked how it was going I stated to him that I really didn't want to leave my wedding band and he just kept walking away from me - even when he was done helping the other customer he never came over to see how I was doing - I have worked in a jewelry store and know that sizing up a solid wedding band means you only have to heat it up and then stretch it so couldn't figure out why it would cost me $65 to do it and I would have to leave my ring to get it done - won't ever go back there

Description of Work
Gave me an estimate on sizing some rings

Category jewelry stores

Mrs. [member name removed] presented us with three rings on March 26th 2014. All three rings needed to be sized up approximately one and a half sizes each. The sizing process consist of cleaning the ring thoroughly, cutting the ring, adding the appropriate metal to increase to the desired size, then using a laser welder to leave a seamless fusion. Then a complete refurbishment of the ring completes the task. We never stretch rings that have any stones, any designs, have any solder/seams, or have been previously sized. Stretching a ring causes potential metal fatigue resulting in potential cracking and stone loss. Our 48 hour turnaround is exceptionally quick compared to industry averages. I apologize if our staff failed to offer Ms. [member name removed] a drink; typically our clients poke fun at us for offering multiple times. I can appreciate ones budgetary constraints however as a business appropriate charges are necessary to continue as a viable establishment. The recommended processes for any repairs are based upon our knowledge and experience that the work will perform in a manner which we can stand behind. I am sorry that Ms. [member name removed] experience was less than perfect and I hope after considering the facts she will reconsider her views on House of Diamonds.

01/27/2014

Jing T.

We recently bought a diamond ring. Its size needed to adjusted. We were not into jewelry, so did not know anything about local jewelers. We checked Angie's list to get some ideas. Though this one popped out the best, we were still a bit cautious when we decided to give a try. The first time when we arrived at the store, it was five minutes right before the time they were closing for the day (it was our mistake about the schedule). However, the owner patiently addressed our questions. When he heard that we live about 40 minutes away, he offered to extend his business hour and serve us immediately for us to avoid another trip. We were very appreciative. Knowing it was our own mistake, we decided to schedule an appointment. When we got there in our second trip. the owner and his wife were busy with other customers. But as soon as he got some time, he came over to help us again. We finally got our ring done successfully. The owner is very friendly and detail orientated. We noticed that he had a wide selection of jewelry in the store and had a good flow of customers. For our simple and low-cost service, he still managed to spend quite a bit time with us and addressed our questions thoroughly and patiently. He double checked the final product to assure the quality. We are very happy with our choice of this store. We now feel that this is our jewelry store.

Description of Work
Resizing a diamond ring

11/12/2013

Martha M.

The ring was repaired and cleaned well and was ready when promised. The ring is approximately 75 years old and the tiny pearls are hard to come by, but House of Diamonds was able to locate a pearl that matched very well so the ring has maintained its original appearance.

Description of Work
Replace missing pearl, checked for any other loose stones and cleaned and polished family heirloom ring

10/26/2013

Teria I.

I found House of Diamonds on Angie's List and based on the existing reviews I decided to go check them out. I had lost a small diamond in the halo around my beloved emerald ring, and after a bad jewelry-repair experience recently, I was leery about who I trust with my jewelry. House of Diamonds did not disappoint. First off, they were all very professional, and treated my family with respect. I was dazzled by the stunning jewelry they had on display (so much more beautiful than what you can find at the mall!), and impressed with the service I received. They explained what needed to be done, (center stone had to be removed to avoid damaging it when heating the metal to build up the prongs for the new diamond, then the ring would be sized and finally the center stone would be replaced), they gave me a quote, and we decided to go ahead. We felt the price was very reasonable, and I felt great knowing that the jeweler that was going to do the work was in house, and had already seen the ring. They said it would be ready in about a week, but they called the very next day to tell me it was done! We picked it up today and it looks fabulous! It looks better than the day I got it. It fits perfectly and I am not even sure which diamond they replaced. Totally seamless. I will bring all future jewelry repair work to Diamond House. Bottom line is that they are professional, knowledgeable, prompt, skilled, trustworthy, and reasonably priced. A+

Description of Work
Sized and replaced a diamond in a halo style emerald ring.

10/22/2013

Jeff H.

It was an excellent experience. We met the jewelry repair man himself and they had several others their, too. He had well over 15 years experience and our rings looked and fit beautifully.

Description of Work
My husband and I took our wedding bands into House of Diamonds to be sized. Even though we did not spend very much money, the sales staff repeated offered us something to drink and carefully performed a detail exam of our rings.

Category jewelry stores, jewelry appraisal

10/13/2013

Lori F.

We feel like Gene, Karen, and the girls are extended family. :) I can't wait to see my ring that she is working on now.... It is a ring that will be a combination of my mom's diamonds and a diamond that my husband gave me. This ring is very special to me as I recently lost my mom to pancreatic cancer. Karen knows how special it is to me and what a sentimental piece it will be for me to have and to wear. Additionally, ALL of the staff at HOD are knowledgeable and wonderful!

Description of Work
Gene and Karen Cullaine are the best in the jewelry business! We have had numerous pieces that have been designed by Karen which have turned out beautifully. Karen redesigned my original wedding ring to make it stronger and more secure. She added a piece called the "shank" which not only makes the ring stronger but protects the diamonds from being damaged. ( It keeps your ring from rolling on your finger.) She is currently working on redesigning a ring combining my Mom's diamonds ( I recently lost her to cancer, so this piece is especially dear to me) and a diamond my husband had gotten for me. It will be exquisite when it completed!

Category jewelry appraisal

07/05/2013

dave P.

I couldn't be happier with the results. The ring was exactly what I wanted, and she was absolutely thrilled.

Description of Work
Designed a custom engagement ring. My fiancé loves pink, so I wanted to incorporate that into the ring. After much searching, they found the perfect pink sapphire and designed and built a beautiful setting for it .

06/03/2013

Carol H.

They did all work with high quality and on time. We are very pleased with both rings

Description of Work
Sized up man's ring and put new head setting on women's ring.

03/04/2013

Kent K.

This is the reason why we use Angie's List. We needed to have my wife's wedding ring repaired, so I searched for Jewelry repair on Angie's List and House of Diamonds had the most positive reviews. We were greeted as soon as we entered the store, and were offered a free beverage. The person who helped us was very knowledgable, and was able to give us a very detailed estimate of all of the work needed to repair the ring, and to re-size another ring that we brought with us. We felt that the price quoted was very competitive so we signed off on the work. The owner came over to introduce himself to us after we were done, and also gave us a tour of the facility where they make and repair the jewelry. We picked the rings up 5 days later, and the work was done perfect. I will definitely use House of Diamonds again, and we are planning to replace my wedding ring in the near future with one from this company.

Description of Work
Great Experience

06/15/2012

Dale M.

I bought a four prong setting engagement ring and my fiancee didn't like it that much so I started to return and they actually gave me a six prong setting for free. They treated you with so much respect. They are attentive to details. Prices are reasonable.

Description of Work
I bought an engagement ring at House of Diamonds. I used them last summer and about two weeks ago.

04/30/2012

Braden R.

Excellent service and quality workmanship!

Description of Work
Replaced diamond baguette, repaired channels and repaired crack in ring.

04/10/2012

Linda D.

We were greeted at the door by the owner. He introduced himself and asked us our names, even offered us coffee or a soft drink. He then asked us what we needed, and looked at the ring. He told us how many jewelers worked there, and how many years of experience they had. He explained that it was a family business and introduced his wife and the cashier. He took the ring back so that one of the jewelers could look at it. While he was gone we heard a little tiny voice say " Can I get you some water ? " It took us a while but we saw the top of a little girls head behind the back desk. When the owner came back out to tell us what needed to be done, we asked him about the little girl. We were told that it was his daughter, he asked her to come out and introduce herself. Out came the cutest, polite little girl in tights and a dress walking on her tippy-toes. She introduce herself as Alexis and told us she was six. My husband asked her if she took dance lessons, she told us that she used to but now took gymnastics. She asked us if we would like to see her dance, of course we said yes. She did a little ballet for us, then said it was nice to meet us and went back to the desk. We were so charmed, I guess not all people would love this as much as we did, but when we went in to pick the ring up she was not there. The first thing my husband did was ask where Alexis was. We learned she was in school and came in every day after school. My husband suggested that they put up a sign that said when she would be there. This was one of those rare places that did A++++ work, and was so nice, the kind of people you do not meet that often. We will be going back for sure, when Alexis is in we hope !

Description of Work
I had a custom designed wedding ring that had broken when I smashed my hand. I no longer had a jeweler so I looked on Angie's list to find someone who could repair a custom ring. The ring had two bands, each with a large diamond with small ones on each side. The two bands were joined under my finger, and side by side on the top. The band of one had broken where it joined to the large diamond. They had the jeweler look at it and said that they would fix the break and that 8 of the prongs needed to be built up. We talked about the size, he said that it would be best to wait and try it because it would be better to have it a little tight than too loose. They did the work that they said and attached the two large diamonds where you can not see it. He said that had never been done, and that it would make it much stronger. They did a great job, and it cost what they had told us that it would. I plan on this being the only place we go for jewelry and repairs.

01/25/2012

Cheri F.

After 15 years my wedding set looked new. The diamonds sparkled again. The rings that I had sized came out wonderful. Still waiting for the ear rings and bangle. My husbands ring had to be sent out. Everyone has been kind and gracious. Will give an update when everything is finished.

Description of Work
Took my wedding set in to be cleaned, earrings to have new backs put on, gold bangel to have stones replaced, husbands ring to have stone tightened and new rings to be sized.

11/25/2011

Mark F.

I began doing business with HOD based on business reviews with Angie's List, which were all extremely positive. I wouldn't trust just anyone to handling my jewelry. I had been told by another jewelry company (Helzberg on the Plaza) that stones were loose in a bracelet. I was just having them clean it so I had no plans to leave it. I took the bracelet to HOD and Gene, who is the owner, took me to the back shop and placed the jewelry in a vibrating machine and allowed me to look through a large magnifying glass. To my surprise, there were no stones loose. This established a level of trust for me. Later I took 3 wedding sets in to have Karen (Gene's wife) look at -- to see if she could offer any suggestions as to what I could do with them. Being my wedding set, my mother's wedding set and my Grandmother's wedding set, they were all very sentimental to me. Karen immediately came up with an idea, which I loved! As we got closer to making a wax model of the design, she called me in to look at what she had. She had 3 different ideas. While considering my personality, style and tastes, she came up with a slightly different arrangement. I was ecstatic with her design! As the project progressed, Karen kept me posted on the progress. She outlined the costs so that I clearly understood the costs. Never was there any strong, pressured sales pitch. The entire staff made me feel very welcomed and respected. HOD has something very special, and I am thankful for the opportunity to have worked with them.

Description of Work
Karen Cullinane (the owner's wife and co-owner) took 3 wedding sets and designed a pendant for me.

10/02/2011

Dale M.

I was getting family heirloom pearls re-strung as a wedding gift for my daughter. Of course the pearls were no longer white so the House of Diamonds took the time to dye the silk string to match the pearls and then each pearl was double knotted in place. They also repaired the original box and clasp. The work was excellent, on-time and as promised, but what I was most impressed by was the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. I can't recommend them highly enough!

Description of Work
I asked them to re-string a set of pearls, which are a family heirloom.

05/02/2011

Sergio S.

I took my wedding ring to House of Diamonds to have repairs made, based upon the other reports that were posted on Angie's List. We bought my ring from another small jewelry store here in KC and I've had nothing but problems. My ring had a W shaped break/series of cracks in the underside of the ring. There were also "visible to the eye" cracks under the channel set diamonds. The employees at HOD were able to educate me on the poor porosity level of my ring and tell me that it was very brittle. They told me what they would do to repair it, what my repair price would be, and when it would be ready. I called on the date that they said it would be ready, it was, and to come any time. Upon arrival, I could see that there was a hairline crack under the channel set diamonds that was not fixed. She immediately ran back to the jeweler and then assured me that it would be perfect by Saturday morning. It was no problem to swing by on Saturday and pick it up; it also allowed me to get my husband inside the store.

Description of Work
My ring had 5+ visible cracks in it's band that needed to be cut and replaced. Also, it needed to be rhodium plated back to it's original white gold luster.

12/23/2009

Joan L.

They were excellent. They were very good about discussing the purchase, and the owner came out and talked to us. All in all it was a very positive experience.

Description of Work
We bought a necklace from House of Diamonds.

12/15/2008

Thomas B.

The assistant that greeted me and took my request for service was very knowledgeable and friendly. Explained how the work would be done. Promised me a certain date, that they meet. Upon picking it up, my service was extremely prompt and very professional. Would and will definitely use House of Diamonds again.

Description of Work
Had a ring's size increase by 1 size.

Jewelry Sales/Design/Repair