RICK MAYFIELD PAINTING

Founded 1981 • With Angi since May 2008

257 W. Elbert St

Indianapolis, IN 46217

OWNER-OPERATED. NO SUBS.2012,2013 CONTRACTOR OF THE YEAR. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. NO ADDITIONAL TRAVEL CHARGES. NO SERVICE FEE.NON-SMOKER.MUST SEE JOB TO GIVE ACCURATE QUOTE PLEASE USE DIRECT EMAIL OR CALL ABOVE PHONE NUMBER.

12/20/2016

Jeff H.

I have used Rick Mayfield several times over several years. Always on time, fair price, good worker. He is my "go to" guy.

Description of Work
Painting, light construction, handyman fixes.

Category handyman service, wallpaper removal, home remodeling, interior painters

10/31/2016

Robyn S.

Rick was here everyday for 5 days. Very professional and did exactly what we wanted. Very hard worker. I could leave and trusted him to enter my house. Did a fantastic job and will definitely use him again.

Description of Work
Cleaned , caulked. Drywall on walls that had been damaged,and painted 3 car garage plus steps to attic.

10/19/2016

Charlotte M.

Informed us of the work to be done in advance. Gave suggestions and options.

Description of Work
Prep walls, repair wall marks and paint.

10/18/2016

Melissa S.

Rick did an incredible job painting all the interior trim in my home. He did so well with the first floor project in March 2016 that we hired him again this Fall 2016, to complete the scecond floor. He is extremely professional, reasonably priced, and a trustworthy professional. Many of my friends and family who has seen the work he's preformed at my house have asked for his contact info. He's a great painter.

Description of Work
Rick painted the previously stained interior trim of my 3,000 sq ft home.

04/16/2016

Beth L.

Rick was extremely punctual, professional, and easy to work with. As the job progressed, and we were witness to Rick's quality, we added more and more rooms. His prices were very reasonable and he was quite detailed in his work. He removed hardware to paint and reinstalled when finished.I did not find a paint drip or problem anywhere upon completion. Rick was very good in his clean up and protection of items not being painted. I had just had surgery so Rick was also very helpful in moving items and replacing them when finished. We would hire Rick again without hesitation. We highly recommend him. Thanks for the great job!

Description of Work
We hired Rick to paint our great room area and all the baseboards, trim and window trim through out the house.

03/29/2016

Deborah A.

Rick does excellent work. He is reasonably priced, punctual, honest, and easy to work with. I will use Rick again for future projects and would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Rick painted a sunroom, as well as living room and bedroom ceilings for me. I wasn't in any hurry to get the projects done, so Rick would call when he didn't have any exterior painting jobs or other pressing jobs.

12/01/2015

TANYA H.

He was booked out farther than I wanted to wait for my project, but he was a very nice man and very helpful.

Description of Work
I was looking for someone to spray paint my light fixtures and called him to see if he was able to do the work.

09/30/2015

Cheryl L.

It went very well. Mr. Mayfield does good work, is professional and courteous, and is reasonably priced. I am very happy with the result and would definitely hire him again.

Description of Work
Painted exterior wood trim (overhangs, bandboards, door frames, porch posts and railings), front door, garage door, decorative shutters, guttering and downspouts.

09/24/2015

Anna W.

We were thrilled with Rick and his work. He is very careful and did a great job. We will be using him in the future. We recommend him to anyone who wants a fantastic job done.

Description of Work
Rick gave us numerous estimates on many jobs. He was very patient.He mudded several celings, painted and sealed everything.

Category drywall, interior painters

08/27/2015

Candace C.

Rick was great to work with. He takes great pride in the job he does, so you can tell he loves what he is doing. He's professional and makes sure you are happy.

08/12/2015

Carol F.

Rick Mayfield came and took information and then emailed bid which wasn't specifically totalled and I emailed back asking that he clarify the total amount includingattached garage. He did so. I hired him. He started work a few months later in July. He worked on days when rain was predicted and sometimes up until it would start sprinkling/storming. I put no time pressure on him. On some days that were nice he would not show up and he had stated he was concerned about his other customers and losing work, so I think it is possible he was doing other jobs on the nice days. (I don't know this for a fact though). He showed up on one of our hottest humid days to paint and I asked if it wasn't too hot to paint that day. He painted anyway. For the positive note-- 1, the paint job looks good from a distance. 2. He offered me a small discount for paying in cash rather than check. 3. Had the job been done right I think the price would have been fair. For the disturbing parts of this job: I discovered paint cans one day that R. Mayfield left, that indicated INTERIOR paint on them. He had used interior paint to paint my exterior window & door trim, doors, eaves, soffits and shutters. I called him and emailed him and he called back to say it wasn't a problem to use interior and he sometimes does that and it would be fine because it was good quality paint. I reminded him that he had indicated he would be using Valspar Exterior Reserve paint on the outside I also called Valspar mfg. and they said no way was that paint formulated or appropriate for exterior and would not withstand the weather. R. Mayfield then agreed he would paint over with one coat of exterior. He was here much of the time when I wasn't monitoring so I am hoping he did re-paint all of those surfaces. I have no trust in him now however. Before he finished that up, I was outside looking at the house and noticed blisters and multiple soft bubbles that had formed all over the house. I was very upset about this and started reading about this and everything I read said these need to be taken care of, immediately and are caused by either improper cleaning and prep, but most likely by painting when there is too much moisture. You are not to paint either 4 hours before or 4 hours after rain and he had been painting right up until rain having to put his equipment up during rain. I pointed all this out to him and he said he did nothing wrong and painters paint in all conditions and he would not do anything to deal with it other than leave the leftover paint for me to take care of it if I wanted, but his recommendation was to leave it alone. I called Valspar and they also indicated it was an issue of moisture getting trapped behind the paint. Mayfield contends it was just the time that this stuff would bubble up.It is coincidental that it happened after he painted the house. R. also said that if it was his paint job when he burst the bubble that it would just be his paint that showed on the back, not the original paint or wood. I have since found this information by professionals that contradicts what he was saying:: I also contacted Valspar again to get information on the correct way to deal with this issue. They said they would send a local representative out to inspect and give his assessment. Jason Jones of Valspar came out today gave his assessment that the issues appeared to be due to the painter painting in too humid conditions and moisture had been trapped behind the paint. He said another factor that could have contributed is improper prep--not cleaning the area prior to painting . I told him what Mayfield had said about the color behind the bubble. Jason said that the paint on the back of the bubble would not be the same as on front becausei of a chemical change that takes place at the back after the paint is applied and what Mayfield was saying was inaccurate. Jason also said it is important to go ahead and scrape the blisters and bubbles off, let the area dry for few days to make sure all the moisture that had been trapped has dried out, then to prime and paint it. He said if I were to let it be as I was advised by Mayfield, cracking would start ( and he showed me a spot where that had already occurred and more moisture could get in and cause more paint to loosen and also the bubbling could increase,and I would eventually end up with exposed siding). I am now stuck with repairing the blisters & bubbles myself or hiring someone else to do it as Mayfield is taking no responsibility. Whether this was due to his lack of knowledge or caring about the quality of work he did here, and/or attention to detail, or it was dishonesty in dealing with me over using interior paint on the exterior issue, and the bubbling and blistering issue, I don't know, but I do know I don't want anyone else to go through this without knowing the risks of using this provider. Lesson learned is just because a provider has good ratings here doesn't necesarily mean they will do a good job for you or that you can trust them to perform professionally and honestly for you. I trusted and my trust was broken.

Description of Work
Painted exterior siding and trim of about 3/4 of small ranch style house. (He didn't paint the east side outside walls of my house as they had vinyl siding). He also removed some bushes in front of 2 windows.

Category siding, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

07/28/2015

Ellen W.

Great job. It looks beautiful. Rick is very personable and professional. He always returns my emails promptly and is always on time. It was a big job and I am very pleased with the outcome. Previously to this job, he refinished my deck. I was very happy with that job as well. I would highly recommend Rick and would definitely use him again.

Description of Work
Paint my great room, kitchen and stairway.

Category deck cleaning, interior painters

06/02/2015

Ellen W.

Rick was great. He responded to my request for an estimate within 24 hours. I got the estimate promptly and he did the work in the timeframe that he originally gave me. Work was very good! I am hiring him again to paint my great room. Very pleased!

Description of Work
He cleaned, repaired and painted my deck.

05/19/2015

David B.

Rang our bell right at 9am as promised. Surveyed the surfaces, brought his tools, taped, mixed paint, cleaned and was finished by 3pm. Not a drop or spot of paint on woodwork we've seen. He will be back for a second painting project in a week or two. Great job.

Description of Work
Painted kitchen with many cabinets, bulkheads, much trim

03/17/2015

Skye Winslow D.

Rick is a gem. I hired him to remove wallpaper that was installed in a small bathroom 18 years ago. Needless to say, its age and the lack of sizing made it a challenge to remove. Rick went above and beyond by repairing and patching any blemishes and prepping the space for new wallpaper. A word of warning, however, he is busy and you may not be able to hire him as quickly as you would like. I tend to look at lack of availability as a sign of a good contractor. So call him several weeks before you need the job done! Thanks Rick!

Description of Work
Removed wallpaper and prepped wall for new wallpaper.

Category drywall, wallpaper removal, wallpaper, interior painters

03/04/2015

Brogan B.

Things went great with Rick. We had a leak that left an unsightly water stain on the ceiling. After pricing out repainting the spot Rick provided us a quote to repaint the whole ceiling, while treating the spot. He did a great job finished in around 5 hours and was priced as he quoted. Very easy and flexible to work with. We will be using Rick again and you should too.

Description of Work
Painted the living room, hallway, and kitchen ceiling

12/09/2014

Faye O.

arrived promptly as promised.Worked throughout the day, applying two coats of paint to walls. Cleaned up after himself with no need for me to reclean after he departed.

Description of Work
painted dining room walls

11/06/2014

Ginny C.

Spoke with SP after purchasing the deal and he told me it will be Fall before he can do the work. I got an email from SP on October 28 saying he will not be able to do the work and a refund is waiting for me.

Description of Work
Eight Hours of Wallpaper Removal, Drywall Repair, and Painting

10/28/2014

Susan A.

I phoned many painters looking for someone to do a little exterior painting at the "end of the season" (for exterior painting). Several told me they weren't taking any more exterior jobs. I left my name and contact info with several others. Rick was the first to call me back, the same day I had called, and he came to do the estimate that evening! Three days later, on a Sunday, he came to do the work. He did an excellent job painting but went above and beyond by reinforcing how the shutters were attached to the house. Unfortunately, NO fault of Rick's, I wasn't happy with the color I'd chosen for the shutters. He said that if I could find a new color within a couple of days, he'd come back and re-paint them. I picked up the new paint the next day (Monday) and he's scheduled to come back tomorrow (Weds.) to re-paint. I so very, very much appreciated his quick response, both initially to my call and in scheduling both paint jobs. He was very friendly, courteous, diligent and tolerant of my dog! I will definitely call him for future painting!! : )

Description of Work
Repaired/painted water-damaged window sill on upper level decorative window and painted four front window (8) shutters.

Category water damage restoration, house painters, interior painters

10/21/2014

LORRIE & MARK C.

Rick returned my call quickly and scheduled an estimate appointment. Upon acceptance of the estimate, we were on his schedule and our painting project commenced soon, after the weather cleared. Rick was always patient and courteous and answered all our questions, with a concern to meet our needs. Rick did great painting and cleaned up the project area extremely well each day. We will definitely hire him again, since he is responsible, trustworthy and hard-working . We will recommend him to our family and friends.

Description of Work
Rick cleaned, caulked and painted exterior of house and painted exterior screened porch ceiling.

10/15/2014

Melanie S.

Rick responded to my request for a quote for exterior painting and came over at the scheduled time to review the work content and expectations. I knew immediately just talking to him that he was honest, sincere and the right contractor for the job. I felt completely at ease and no pressure whatsoever. I'm an avid do-it-yourself person, but am not good balancing myself and a paint can on a ladder anymore. He answered all my questions at ease and I knew he would do it right with no worries. He came out on the scheduled start day and finished up in a couple days. He gave me some advice on some fascia trim that had warped and that the wasps found as an ideal spot for building several homes. I fabricated new Fascia trim in my shop and Rick took off the old trim for me. I'm an Engineer and very particular about quality, but Rick did an excellent job and cleaned up each night and left the job site spotless. It was nice to have someone that understood my requirements and exceeded all expectations at a very reasonable price. I'm looking forward to have him working on some interior painting projects later this year.

Description of Work
Painted all exterior wood trim, garage doors, and entry door.

09/09/2014

MICHAEL & ANN G.

Went very well, as always. We've asked Rick to paint for us multiple times in the past 12 years and am always very pleased with his high-quality work. He is very particular about doing a good job, and finished the job in a timely manner, always paying attention to every detail, often going above and beyond in the details. We are very pleased with the new paint color and overall job!

Description of Work
Painted two-story entryway, wall up stairway, entire upstairs hall, plus livingroom. (about half of all our main level and all the upstairs hallway). Also painted floor trim in kitchen, back hallway, and entry.

08/05/2014

Marge M.

Rick Mayfield Painting called us on 8/1/14 to explain that he was booked solid until late November 2014. This would be the earliest he could accommodate us. We stated that we needed the work performed before then. He suggested that we contact Angie's List and ask for a refund.

Description of Work

Category wallpaper removal, interior painters

07/30/2014

PETE V.

All work has been completed in a timely manner and we are happy with the quality of the work. I very much like the fact that you are dealing with the owner directly and subs are not used. Rick is very easy to work with and he is very professional in his approach to his work. He is very busy so the work may not be planned per your specific and/or immediate needs. However, he does communicate his possible timing before agreeing to the work. Rick is also flexible to adjust his schedule if the owner has a need. Overall, very pleased with the work and the pricing is reasonable as well in my opinion beyond the initial 'Painter for a Day' agreement.

Description of Work
Original work was based on an Angie's List Big Deal > Painter for a Day! The successful completion of this work resulted in several other painting projects being undertaken. The list included wall paper removal, wall repair/painting and repainting of several rooms and ceilings in the home. Plans are defined to complete some outside painting plus painting of the garage.

Category drywall, wallpaper removal, house painters, interior painters

07/19/2014

Lisa H.

He was very polite on the phone, but said that he was currently scheduled until late fall or the winter. I wanted the work done sooner than that.