Rhino Shield

Founded 2002 • With Angi since May 2002

4.4

7745 E 89th St

Indianapolis, IN 46256

Rhino Shield permanent exterior ceramic paint coating is a long-lasting paint alternative that gives your home and office exterior the appearance of fresh paint but offers the longevity of vinyl siding product. Rhino Shield offers you the "Ultimate Paint Job" and is the leader in home and business

05/13/2021

Kevin C.

This company is crap. Do not ever use Rhino Sheild. They will screw you on the warranty anyway they can. The little mexican dude did not even care. He said we can provide you with the paint and you have to pay labor. He argued with me that they couldn't cover it because of mother nature and it has faded so bad. I am embarrassed to have it on my house. What good is it to have a good 25 yr paint job when it didn't even last 7 years RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS CRAP COMPANY AND JUST HIRE A GOOD PAINTER AND GET GOOD PAINT

Description of Work
Outside house painting

01/23/2021

JOHN N.

This review is to bring attention to others who may be considering this process instead of normal painting for their home. I had Rhino Shield paint my home in 2010 for around $6500. My home is majority brick (about 60%) so they only painted the fiberboard, trim, front porch etc. Initially I was very pleased to invest in this process so I would not have to worry about repainting down the line. They missed some painting on a chimney which they took care of ( I thought) and felt this was a good investment for the first few years so I recommended Rhino Shield and this process. A couple years ago I noticed I was getting major fading on the south and east end of my house. Then I noticed the chimney they had to come back and paint was all peeling off so I figure they didn't do the whole process on that. Also posts on front porch were showing decay and rippling even though they replaced damaged wood their before painting. When I reached out this summer about my issues, a young man came out and let me know that wood was not covered since the water could come up from underneath the post and cause the damage, they don't cover and fading and probably be able to provide paint for the chimney. I called in a couple times to try and get some resolution but communication was spotty and I did not get any solution to my satisfaction. I did get something from the young man that they had a special where they would repaint or give another coat for around $5600 if I can remember correctly. I did not think that was fair after paying $6500 10 years earlier for a lifetime guarantee. To be fair, the warranty says the paint is warrantied for 25 years and they will provide replacement paint. Problem is the labor, wood rot etc. So, my point is buyer beware on 25 year warranty. This will cover your product but not labor. So at the end of the day I had a new roof put on this summer and had roofer repaint a couple areas but I will still need to have the whole house repainted only 11 years after initial application. Thus not worth my initial investment. I didn't want to worry about repainting for 25 years. Something to consider.

Description of Work
House painted

10/23/2020

James N.

Deceptive practices by rhino shield: 1. Salesman, Mr. Thompson, assured us that we can cancel anytime without penalty up until we schedule a date for service although the estimate indicated we have to cancel within three days. He also offered us a 10% discount if we made a deposit of 10% of the estimate. His statements were ambiguous and completely false. 2. When asked if rhino shield paint worked on vinyl, we were assured by Mr. Thompson that it covered vinyl well. Again, there is ample evidence that rhino shield cracks and flakes on vinyl contrary to Mr. Thompson's misleading assurances. We cancelled before any work was scheduled and owner refuses to return our deposit of almost $1,000. There was absolutely no work scheduled or done by rhino shield, that is, there was NO performance on the contract. Rhino shield's refusal to return our deposit is unconscionable. All we did was sign a piece of paper and rhino shield keeps our deposit. The salesman misrepresented the service and we relied on that misrepresentation. This man recommends to not sign a contract with rhino shield without fully investigating this service.

Description of Work
Exterior painting

Category contractors, house painters

08/30/2020

Scott B.

They did a great job. Overall very happy with the work they did. The crew worked very hard. The Ops Manager, David, was extremely responsive returning messages promptly, even off hours. The house looks great.

Description of Work
Painted house and trim

07/20/2020

Matthew P.

Not good from the start! NOT GOOD. I believe this was due to the the company hiring day labor, laborers that speak no English and have very little exp. painting anything. Not to mention they will urinate all over the yard, as nature calls. . Beware as the sales man you meet. He continuously lied to me and made up false information the entire time to sway our opinion.. Our $5000 paint job, almost immediately began leaking and rotting wood the trim almost immediately. 8 years later, we have several rotted holes and peeling Rhino Shield product. However, NO Rhino Shield company to fix it per the warranty. The last communication with Rhino Shield, the company offered to sell me the Rhino Shield product so I could fix it myself. 5 gallons for $500. This was a trick, the warranty expressly states the warranty is voided if anyone applies the product who is not trained, certified by Rhino Shield. I elected not to buy the paint and have saved the document as evidence for future litigation. The worst part, Rhino Shield promises a 25 yr warranty. ALL of our issues are supposed to be covered per the warranty, however Rhino Shield won't honor any warranty work. Or, they flat out deny there is a problem. It's comical. SAD but comical the way these guys weasel out of all responsibility. Including David, a production manager who even threatened physical harm if I continued to complain. I would NEVER hire Rhino Shield to do anything again. Why would you?

Description of Work
Exterior of house painted

Category contractors, garage doors, woodworking, house painters, doors

We arbitrated with the BBB and were found to have reasonably responded. These false claims can be refuted by the factual evidence presented in their attempt to gain beyond what was contractually agreed to. They were in default of payment for services performed in 2017. Please refer to the Cincinnati BBB for their handling of this dispute and found we acted appropriately. We have stopped using Angie’s List since 2017. Please refer to the BBB in your region for a list of reviews.

08/17/2019

Diane S.

I have a large pergola in my backyard, built around 2007, the posts of which are sunk into a flagstone patio. The thought of having to maintain/paint it over time was too much for me so back in 2015 I decided to do Rhinoshield. When the sales rep came out, I was told the job was too small and they have a $5000 minimum. I really only wanted the pergola done but decided to just go ahead and do all the wood trim on my brick home, and a wood screened-in porch off the back. The total job was around $11,000. Now, all the wood of the pergola is rotting!! When I called Rhinoshield about it, they told me the pergola is not included in their warranty because it is not a permanent structure. They should have told me that before they did the job because then I would not have bothered having it done. But clearly they kept that information from me in order to get my business. Now, I am going to have to pay a carpenter around $2500 to rebuild the pergola and replace the flagstones that will be damaged in the process. I am going to continue to fight them on this but I want others to know that, in my opinion, this company lied to me to get my business and so, they don't deserve your business!

Description of Work
Rhinoshield on permanent pergola

Category house painters

We do not warranty pergolas. The customer somehow does not remember that. We promptly respond to his request for service but he is upset with the cost of the service since it is not something that is covered under the warranty. Pergolas, gazebos, fences, play sets, are examples of unwarranted items that customers will request to be done.

09/08/2018

KENT & CAROLYN A.

Salesperson came to our house and was high pressure offering promises and incentives to get a quick signature. Actual painters did fine showing up on time when promised. Big problem was that they promised they had thousands of colors and would make sure we had exactly the color we wanted. When it came time to pick out colors, they refused to help and said it was all on us, we had to pick from swatches that did not match the final colors and it would cost us $200 per color to have them apply a sample on the house to see if it matched what we wanted. The job supervisor said he wasn't allowed to help us and the guy in the office was rude and dismissive. We tried a few colors, but we couldn't match and swatches with the color of nearby fence that we did not repaint. We are now stuck with a color we don't like for 25 years. Salesperson also told us we'd need some wood repair but she couldn't price that until after we signed the RhinoShield contract. She estimated it would cost $400, but when the carpenters came out it was $8,000. The carpenters did a good job, but salesperson should have told us what it was going to cost. I would never do business with these folks again.

Description of Work
They painted entire house

Category house painters

We are relieved to hear the member was satisfied with our physical work regarding the carpentry and the application of Rhino Shield. The process of completing the work was very challenging. I have reviewed this review with my sales and production staff to see if our policies need to be altered so that we can be more accommodating. 1. We have advertised special pricing. The member received an estimate on April 24th. The spring promotion expired on April 30th. The member contracted on April 30th. We do not feel offering a lower price for a decision within a certain time frame is abnormal pressure. 2. Color is a personal preference. We will not choose your color for you. Our color policy is sent via email and regular mail upon contracting. We provide two samples of color included in the pricing. This member wanted two colors on their home so we provided four samples - two of each color. We were happy to provide even more samples for the $200 fee mentioned in the correspondence sent 6 weeks prior to our starting. These four samples were on the home for 8 days while the member received opinions from their son, their tennis partners, and an interior decorator. We apologize by the frustration displayed by Ron, our production supervisor, but we had our crew waiting to continue their work. We have reviewed and agreed that after 3 days of colors on your wall, we will move on to the next job to provide unlimited time to finalize a decision. Thus eliminating the pressured feel of choosing your color. 3. The wood change was $5000. The member wanted work not discussed with the salesperson and not critical to our application. We prefer to change only what is rotted/damaged. This member wanted cosmetic changes to update the home. In addition, the entire perimeter of the home was rotted due to mulch being placed upon the lower 10" of siding on the home. Unfortunately, unforeseen and is highly abnormal. Mulch retains moisture. If up against your siding it will cause rot and insect infestation as it did with this members home. We have reviewed with all of our sales staff to be more diligent with their home inspection regarding wood change and not to quote "ballpark figures". We encourage all customers to get a 2nd estimate on wood change. We typically begin the work 6 to 8 weeks after contracting. This provides ample opportunity to gather another estimate for the carpentry. We appreciate the member taking their time to write a review and providing us an opportunity to improve.

12/20/2017

Pamela S.

They were here the day they promised work would start. Jose and his team worked non-stop for four days to replace wood, fill woodpecker holes, caulk around windows and paint the house. They power washed the house, covered windows and everything that was not to be painted before they started. Afterwards they cleaned up my property. I would highly recommend them and would hire again. They were very professional during the entire job.

Description of Work
Wood replaced, woodpecker holes filled, house painted

Category house painters

Thank you for the description of our service. Jose appreciates the recognition of his efforts.

12/19/2017

Joe H.

I had to have additional trim repair performed from the original estimate and I felt I was overcharged. One piece of the trim that was needed to be replaced I thought was to be in the original estimate and was not included, evidently miscommunication. The team leader (Andrei) for the trim repair was overbearing in his approach and communication. The individual (Jay) that did the measurements and estimate was somewhat defensive in his response to my inquiry of the higher cost of the additional trim compared to what cost of the original trim repair, and the trim piece left out of the estimate. The two trim technicians that did the wood repair did quality work. The two technicians (Ever and Ricardo) did an excellent job preparing the surfaces for the coating and applying the coating. Amy who did the scheduling and coordination of the work to be performed did a good job but was not very responsive to my concerns about the trim issue. I was never contacted by an other management person concerning that issue. I would definitely recommend the Rhino Shield coating. I would use an outside vendor to do do the repair work.

Description of Work
Wood trim replacement and Rhino Shield Coating

Category woodworking, house painters

We appreciate the excellent review of our Rhino Shield application. Ever and Ricardo have been a part of the Rhino team since 2007. We offer wood repair as a convenience to our clients. Members are free to use any carpenter of their choice prior to our service. The two boards were discussed on the left side of the home and the member declined having them repaired. Our estimate for wood repair included no boards being repaired on the left side and and acknowledgement of the declined service. After power washing, Andre pointed out the boards again as they deteriorated further. He encouraged the member they needed replaced. The member agreed and requested that they be replaced. The work was completed and the Rhino Shield was applied. Upon billing, the member objected to the additional charge for the 2 boards. Amy reviewed the estimate, with his acknowledgement of no work being done on the left side, thus there was an additional charge. The member paid the correct amount in full. Rhino Shield is a permanent solution. Painting over rotted wood defeats the purpose of using our service as we cannot warrant that area.

11/24/2017

Beth D.

The salesman was professional, informative and very thorough. The painter, Chris, was very knowledgeable about the product, the colors and his job. If he had not provided advise on the color we chose we would have ended up with a purple house, which is not what we wanted at all. He also provided advise on the color scheme for our stucco and wood house so the dark and light scheme would look good. We are very pleased with the color, the color scheme and the professionalism of all the Rhinocort staff members. They were courteous, neat and worked around our vacation schedule. We highly recommend Rhinocort.

Description of Work
House painted, rotten wood repaired and caulking completed.

Category garage doors, woodworking, house painters

Chris has been a member of the Rhino Shield team since 2011. He appreciated the recognition of his hard work. Typically, our crews do not offer "color consultation" unless it is a color that has a history of being unpopular once applied. We do place a sample of your choice on the home's surface so that it can be viewed before a final decision is made.

11/16/2017

Julie P.

Wonderful. Called before appointment to let me know he was in his way. He was prompt, professional, clean, courteous and patient. He asked a lot of questions to ensure he and I️ were in the same page. I️ had many many questions. He answered all of them. Like most people, we are on a budget. The initial estimate was not in my price range. He bent over backwards to try and get me to my price point. Talking with Ryan, is like talking with a friend. He listened, gave feedback and gave pointers on how to execute my project. Can’t wait to get started.

Description of Work
Consult, Interior trim work and paint. Door refinishing.

Category interior painters

I believe this review is not for our service. We are an exterior only company. Ryan appears to be a very professional and thorough.

10/04/2017

teresa H.

They did a great job and I am pleased overall with the result so far. My only concern was that I felt a bit pressured. We were set to do this in October. They had a window of time and got me done within 2 weeks. Typically this would be great except that once the carpentry stuff was done they wanted cash and not credit. I had it, but I wasn't expecting to pay that day so my savings took a hit that I had not anticipated, planned for or budgeted for. I have some areas that should be touched up. I haven't called yet to see how responsive they will be, hoping for the best. The crew did do a great job overall and I am not sorry that it is done.

Description of Work
Rhino shield over all wooded areas of the house. Also repaired all areas that needed repaired prior to application

Category pressure washing, woodworking, house painters

Salvador is appreciative of the great compliment. Upon seeing this review, we contacted the member to immediately remedy the touch ups needed. Our hope is that all customers would not hesitate to contact us for any issues, no matter how small. The sooner the issue is remedied, the better in maintaining the product. Currently, wood repair is "outsourced", either through a trusted, dependable contractor or some of our painting crews have carpentry skills. This process is explained prior to contracting. We are adding this service next year(Carpenters, please apply) so credit cards can be used for payment. We appreciate the member's flexibility in the start of the project. Balancing our schedule vs. mother nature is always a challenging task.

09/05/2017

ALEETA S.

They're more expensive than having a painter come out, but I figured something like theirs that's going to last 25 and save me thousands, and thousands over the years is fine. We had a birds nest with babies in the gutter and we didn't want them disturbed, so we asked rhino shield could they come back because it would have killed the birds, and they said okay. A few weeks later the birds were able to fly away and they came back and did that small part, I thought that was neat.

Description of Work
Rhino shield did our house. It was a complete house to prepare.

Category pressure washing

We saved the birds!! We sponsor the Rhino exhibit at the zoo as well in attempt to stave off their extinction. The crew thought it was neat that you asked to "save" the birds and were happy to oblige. Happy ending!!

08/09/2017

Amy S.

Excellent workmanship from start to finish. Timely, professional and the crew was great to work with.

Description of Work
Exterior Painting

Category pressure washing, house painters

Thank you for the excellent review.

08/07/2017

LIA R.

It is a superior product. They did a ceramic coating, not really paint, and it is very impressive. We will never have to paint again.

Description of Work
They painted the exterior trim of my home.

Category house painters

Thank you for the review of our product - it is superior. Isael and his crew appreciate the compliment of their hard work. Enjoy never painting again.

08/06/2017

MICHAEL V.

It went great. We arranged the dates for them to come with no problem. On the first day, they powerwashed the house. On the second day, they did some minor wood repairs and prepared the house for painting. The third and fourth days were both spent painting the house. The third day was a Saturday and they still had about half the house to paint. The weather looked rainy for the next Monday-Wednesday. After discussing it with the painter, he decided to come back on Sunday to finish the job before the rain. I felt that was going above and beyond.

Description of Work
House painting on a 2 story house

Category pressure washing, house painters

Caeser is appreciative of the recognition of going above and beyond. Our crews will typically do whatever they can to ensure your satisfaction. The weather this year has been our biggest obstacle and we appreciate the patience and cooperation. Thanks again for the review.

08/04/2017

Charles C.

Everything went very well from start to finish - from the initial contact to coordinate getting our estimate to completion of the work itself. All office and work crew members were very professional and concerned with making us happy. We are very well pleased and would recommend them to anyone that inquired about RhinoShield!

Description of Work
Renewing the finish on our 2-story pole barn.

Category pressure washing, house painters

Thank you for the recommendation. Everyone is genuinely appreciative of your kind words.

07/28/2017

Ed K.

They finished ahead of schedule and I am very satisfied. Edward K Koch pia7110@sbcglobal.net

Description of Work
They were very professional and polite.

Category woodworking, house painters

We appreciate you taking the time with the review. When our crews stay out of town, they usually finish ahead of schedule.

07/24/2017

Judith R.

They couldn't get started until late summer. I honestly don't remember the price this time, but it was comparable to having it painted, but it would last longer. They'll paint over anything, bricks stucco. It doesn't stick to glass it will peels off, it doesn't stick to silicone. The house I live in is a brick and wood siding. So, I had the wood siding done and all of the trims.

Description of Work
They did exterior painting.

Category house painters

Thank your for the review.

06/28/2017

William D.

Went very well. took four painters four days. cleaned up very well. very satisfied

Description of Work
exterior painting

Category pressure washing, house painters

Thank you for the review. Our crew size will range from 2 to 5 based on the size of the project. Happy to hear you are satisfied with our work.

06/28/2017

William T.

The Rhino team that did the work did a good job. They tried..;however, be aware of their contract and paint color conditions. We understood that we had by contract two chances to select the colors that we wanted. We originally were going to keep the same colors that the house; however, when reviewing the test paint areas that they did, they were unable to match our existing colors. We then selected a different colors off of their standard color selection. We were then told that it would be an extra $400 for each of the three colors (trim, stucco, house) which was an extra $1,200. We continued that we were still within the two chances to approve the colors. They failed to match the existing colors. They later dropped the request for the extra cost. Also, note that the paint is not flat but will be a semi-gloss covering. Only time will tell if the products is as good as their advertising. This is a very very expensive house paint/covering and the contract language must be understood and looked at very closely. It is full of traps for the buyer. Two of our outside carriage lights were damaged when they power washed the surfaces to be painted. They paid for the cost of one but not the cost to replace the fixture. They have not responded on the cost of replacement on the others. (The lights had motion detection and auto dimming dusk to dawn electronics). I have had to replace all four carriage lamps because they were all damaged to some degree by the power washing and painting work. At this time, my rating is based on the way we were treated and extras that we were told would be applied. They backed off the extra cost and the job was completed as quoted, but the damage was not completely taken care of and they stopped returning my telephone calls. Also, they did not completely remove all the masking tape. I still have areas of the house that have masking tape and paper on them.

Description of Work
Paint a 28 year old Victorian wood and stucco house. Repair/replace damaged wood.

Category house painters

We are happy to hear the member was satisfied with the completed work. Custom "matching" a color is an additional charge of 400. This fee is reviewed in writing with our "welcome package" thru regular mail and electronically. Due to this miscommunication, we have since added it as a line item in our agreement as well. We have 1500 colors to choose from that are included in the regular price. The custom color was the right color, not the right finish. The member wanted a "flat" finish, Rhino Shield is an eggshell/satin based on the darkness. This was not reviewed with the member prior, so we waived the custom color charge and absorbed the loss of the 3 custom colored products. We donated them to Habitat for Humanity. Our crews take photos of any visible damage prior to beginning our work. This avoids any confusion regarding responsibility.

06/16/2017

jeff H.

This was a great company to work with.

Description of Work
They painted my house and did a great job.

Category house painters

Thank you for the great review. The house looks great.

06/14/2017

Rob A.

Very well. The workers came out and worked very hard and did a wonderful job! They cleaned everything and left my home looking fabulous!

Description of Work
My house needed painted. I got quotes on painting, vinyl siding, and rhino shield. I chose rhino because paint would need done every 5yrs. Paint was 6k. Rhino is guaranteed for 25yrs. Vinyl wasnt really an option but was 15k ish. Rhino cost me 16.2 forget that paint will go up, rhino is less expensive over time. The only thing I didn't care for was they use high pressure sales tactics. I would have chosen them anyway but they offer a substantial discount if you sign today. I think that's kinda shady. I prefer to be given an honest price and given the opportunity to decide in my own time about significant purchases. My advice is to call them last for quotes so you will know all the alternatives. My painters and siding contractors gave me prices that didn't depend on committing right this minute. Rhino was simply the best option for my home. The workers were fabulous and I could not have been happier with them.

Category pressure washing, house painters

Thank you for the wonderful review. We do have promotional offers that are time sensitive based on the sale expiration date, the time of the year, and the business of our production schedule. Most of our customers are appreciative of any type of program that can reduce the total cost. Please consult with the estimator for any programs that may benefit you. Carlos and his crew appreciate the compliment of their hard work.

06/11/2017

James P.

Of course, it's way too early to say anything about how well this 25-year coating will hold up. But, it has certainly restored our logs to approximately their original, bright, clean color. There was a period of a couple of weeks after we signed the contract during which we were in the dark about when the actual work might begin. Better communication would have helped there, although it was a rainy period and scheduling exterior painting jobs must have been pretty challenging. But, once things got rolling, it all happened very quickly and professionally. The two painters who did the work had to drive more than an hour to reach us from their home base, but they appeared bright and early every morning and worked quickly for a long day, before they loaded up to begin the long drive home. The painters pressure washed the house, applied an adhesive primer sealer to everything, and then went over it all again with the ceramic Rhino Shield coating. The logs are one color, and trim elements (fascia and soffit boards, porch posts and beam, etc.) are a darker color. We had resisted putting any sort of color on our precious logs, concerned that we would lose the nice grain and texture that make the house special. So, for years, we had applied clear WoodGuard preservative. This got to be really expensive, didn't ultimately keep the wood from darkening, and certainly didn't keep the carpenter bees from boring lots of holes in the logs. When we looked at the pictures of log homes on the Rhino Shield Web site, we thought they all looked too reddish. So, we tried to pick a color that matched the blond color of our white cedar logs when we first built the house. If you look at the photos of the finished job, you'll see what we chose. We're very pleased with the result. And the carpenter bees are leaving it alone so far. ;-)

Description of Work
We had our 26-year-old white cedar log home painted with Rhino Shield. The work was done by Tri-State Coatings of Columbus, Ohio.

Category pressure washing, house painters

Thank you for the thorough and extensive review. We also appreciate your patience during the very trying Spring with record rainfalls. Alex appreciates the acknowledgement of his crew and their efforts.

06/07/2017

Erna H.

extremely well---showed up on time. responsive to our concerns and did excellent work.

Description of Work
coating a brick home that was built in 1825

Category garage doors, replacement windows, pressure washing, house painters, doors

Thank you for the excellent review. Because of the overall size and scope of this very large brick home, the work was divided into equal parts and completed in two phases over 2 years. Revitalizing this soon to be 200 year old home was very rewarding.