Please call for more details.

Built by YOU

Founded 2008 • With Angi since December 2010

3902 S Walnut St

Bloomington, IN 47401

Built By YOU is a locally owned and operated Home Remodeling and Custom Home company with over 25 years in the construction business. We specialize in Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling, Home Remodeling including Additions, Custom Home Building and Commercial projects that include the

10/25/2018

John G.

I waited a year to write this review so that my wife and I could have a decent amount of time actually using what Aaron Prange (of Built by YOU) made for us. We have a small bathroom in a modern house built in 1968, which we wanted to renovate in an appropriate style. We had a recently acquired vanity top with fixture that we like a lot, but everything else needed to be changed. We consulted with several remodeling contractors before settling on Aaron. The reason was that he was the only one with a clear vision of how to proceed and really take into account our wishes. Others did not want to try retaining our new vanity top, while replacing the vanity cabinet, but Aaron was willing. He arranged for us to have a beautiful new cabinet made by Tim Graber Furniture, and he reinstalled our top seamlessly. He figured out how to expand the depth of the walk-in shower (replacing a narrow tub) without making the space seem cramped. And he had great ideas about lighting, as well as an idea for a large new mirror (also from Graber). We researched and picked out shower surrounds and plumbing fixtures (from Hoosier Winsupply -- highly recommended), flooring (from ColorTile), paint (from Bloomington Paint and Wallpaper), and we also had a mold remediation outfit (Bloom Environmental) carefully take out our moldy drywall ceiling. Aaron arranged for all the work to be done in the right sequence and with very minimal delays. He did a good deal of the demolition and construction work himself, with one co-worker. He was very good about communicating about the schedule and next steps. The work site was clean, with quilted moving mats forming a path from our front door into the bathroom. The job was completed maybe a week late, though much earlier than the other contractors were willing to promise. The job was done during the first half of August, which seems to be a busy time for contractors. We are thrilled with the result and enjoy using the space so much more than the old one. The cost was fair and stuck very close to the original estimate (barring a few things that we asked for after the estimate was done). Not everything was perfect: there was a minor alignment problem with the shower surround, due to nothing in our house really being at right angles. Some of the shower caulking has degraded by now and really needs to be refreshed, and a mounting flange for one of the shower fixtures has come loose. These are pretty minor compared to what could happen with a project in which the walls, ceiling, and much of the floor was stripped bare. I would not hesitate to call Aaron for a consultation on your next remodeling project.

Description of Work
Bathroom renovation

Category home remodeling

11/12/2017

jerome B.

after a slow start , he did a high quality job of completing all the items on the estimate for very close to the same price on the estimate (some extra we decided to add later ). Very patient with our request for changes here and there.

Description of Work
install oven exhaust through ceiling, remodel kitchen cabinets and tile on walls, install removable steps to attic, install flooring in attic, install new double glass doors exiting great room to deck

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

10/05/2016

Kara D.

Work was done poorly (we still have 2 exterior lights without power months after the job is 'done'). Lots of shoddy workmanship we had to re-do ourselves, the timeline estimate was very inaccurate. Very disappointing.

Description of Work
Remodel of house, mostly interior. Including electrical and drywall.

Category electrician, remodeling

We are very sorry that you feel this [Member Information Removed] about the job that was completed at your home. We take pride in the work that we do and have many, many satisfied customers. It was very unfortunate that the fireplace was not of the quality we expect from our subcontractors. As a result of this work, we are no longer using this particular subcontractor. I also was out of town, which is not an excuse, but contributed to the time delay. Upon returning I feel that I addressed the fireplace issue by replacing all the stone using a new mason at no charge. We also took additional steps to ensure the fireplace was then finished correctly. I have reached out but have not received a reply. If there are other issues to be addressed, I am happy to discuss them.

05/18/2016

Keith W.

Excellent work by two great guys. Very clean result, and I couldn't be happier. Aaron and Caleb are very responsive and personable. I will definitely hire them again when the need arises.

Description of Work
Ripped out the water damaged floor in my bathroom, rebuilt the floor, and installed a new toilet.

Category home remodeling

03/14/2016

Debra P.

excellent all around. they are very careful, professional and have a LOT of personal pride in their work. I am also having Aaron and Caleb and their crew doing a complete redesign of my master bath, laundry and pantry. It is a huge project and they are on top of it all the way. Aaron was so helpful in deciding on a good work plan, and is very willing to work find ways to work to my budget. I can see he knows what he is doing and getting things done right is important to him personally - which makes me feel a high degree of confidence in him, his team and the work. I don't just recommend Aaron and Built by You - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.

Description of Work
remodeled doorways and replaced other doors on closets

Category remodeling, home remodeling, doors

12/30/2015

David C.

It first started off pretty good but it felt like the job wasn't big enough for him to care about. My wife mainly dealt with him and believed she could have done as well at calling various sub contractors to do each one of the jobs we required. If I was to do it over again I would not call him and just call each one of the trades myself.

Description of Work
He helped line up contractors for flooring install, electrical work, and cabinets.

Category custom cabinets, electrician, flooring contractor, remodeling

06/30/2015

Thomas D.

Great communication and top-notch work!

Description of Work
Built dormers and did roof etc.

Category remodeling, roofing

05/30/2015

Bernard P.

It went really well, we started designing in Feb 2014, with construction beginning in Aug. It wasn't an easy build (thru a wet winter). But we made it through, moving in in March. Aaron was extremely helpful, guiding my wife and I through-out. If we were to build again I would definitely use Aaron. Thanks

Description of Work
We built a house. I chose the middle program where he provided contractors and estimates and we selected the ones we wanted and paid all the bills. He also gave us contacts for an architect and suggestions for every step of the way guiding us thru the whole process.

Category remodeling, home builders

05/08/2015

CAROL R.

This was a large project -- involving tearing out a floor and a ceiling down to joists, completely redoing the bathroom upstairs and the recreation room downstairs. Aaron largely served as contractor, though he personally did some of the work. He hired, painters, tiles, drywallers, electricians, and more. It is one year later and we are very happy with the work.

Description of Work
Remodeling after flood

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

09/04/2014

Diane S.

Aaron is an excellent contractor. We had interviewed several and found Aaron to be exactly what we were looking for. Someone who was very professional, concerned with what we wanted, offering suggestions, but not being pushy. He took me around to show me possibilities and allowed me to make the decisions on what I wanted. His crew was very amicable and easy to work with. This project took a little longer than expected, but this was due to us wanting to always be there when they were working, so vacations delayed things. The bathroom exceeds our wishes and I would definitely use him again.

Description of Work
Aaron remodeled our master bathroom.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

05/27/2014

Ernest L.

Was very professional, on time and did very good work. I would not hesitate to use Aaron again.

Description of Work
Did several odd construction jobs that I needed done. The big one was unclogging a french drain that was causing some water damage.

Category plumbing, remodeling

05/22/2014

Teresa L.

He did an awesome job! Would def use him Again.

Description of Work
Painted outdoor trim and doors, did electrical, fixed gutter downspouts.

Category electrician, gutter repair, remodeling, house painters, interior painters

03/18/2014

Julia L.

Everything went well for the most part. The gentleman was very friendly, and he came out during the holidays which I appreciated. Furthermore, he did a good job with all of the tasks that I asked him to do, and he cleaned up after himself.

Description of Work
He unclogged three drains, made repairs to a door, and took down a play fort in the yard.

Category plumbing, doors, drain cleaning

01/30/2014

Liz R.

Aaron knew exactly what he needed to do to do the job correctly,was quick,cleaned up after the job and answered my many questions.

Description of Work
installed toilet,cut out and replaced water line to sink,installed sink sprayer.

Category plumbing

01/06/2014

Ernest L.

Very knowledgeable and very professional.

Description of Work
A punch list of odd jobs.

01/05/2014

Jane R.

I couldn't be happier with Aaron's work. He's a good problem solver and is very meticulous about doing the job right. He works hard, and I was amazed at how much he got done in four hours. He's also very professional and nice to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate to hire him again or recommend him to a friend. No complaints at all. He was excellent!

Description of Work
He did a variety of handyman projects, including installing an exhaust fan in my bathroom, hanging pictures, repairing a drawer in my kitchen and installing smoke alarms,

11/20/2013

Bill M.

I was very impressed with all facets of Mr. Pranges work. Started on time. Very particular about doing each job correctly. Had a schedule and had all the right tools to take care of my many jobs. I was so impressed with him I recommended ho to my neighbor who is looking to do some room remodeling. I will definitely consider Mr. Prange for any future remodeling projects as well as suggest his talents to friends. My wife and I were very pleased with his work. This is one of the first things I have purchased through Angies List and was most pleased with the results.

Description of Work
Hooked up dryer inside and out Attached dishwasher Changed shower heads Corrected electrical outlet Attached motion sensor light Fixed refrigerator base

Category remodeling, home builders, home remodeling

11/18/2013

Marlene G.

Aaron was very responsive and came to review the work needed and provide an estimate soon after we contacted him. He was very personable and knowledgeable and came up with the best solution for the problem. The work was completed in one day, the price was reasonable, and the result was excellent.

Description of Work
Re-routed clothes dryer vent to prevent clogging and leaking. Repaired ceiling damage caused by leak.

11/13/2013

Lois H.

Aaron Prange was a very courteous young man and I hired him as a Handyman because of Angie's List. He contacted me the day after my request and arranged for an appointment for his work. He arrived on time and listened politely to my needs. (Often contactors will insist on their way not yours.) When he further investigated and discovered a problem, he came to me to discuss other options. (Again rare as others would have just made a decision without input.) When he was done he cleaned the area of his work, removed all debris and, as we had agreed on 4 hours, asked what other things needed to be done.

Description of Work
He removed shelving and installed new shelf in garage as well as some pegboard. Installed motion detector.

09/27/2013

David J.

There is not much to tell, since not much happened. He was on time, after rescheduling. However, no response from anyone in the company is very telling. He came to our house and took some measurements to provide an estimate of what it would cost to shore-up our shifting porch. We never heard back from him. It's been about two months and several emails and phone messages from me to him, but zero response.

Category decks, remodeling

Jeffrey K.

Overall the home building process with Built by You went very well. Aaron Prange worked very hard for us. He made sure everything was being done to our satisfaction. Since we had not built before we needed quite a bit of feedback. Aaron would offer suggestions on how to do some things during the construction process. Sometimes we would use his suggestions but many times we did not. Even though we had some differences of opinion Aaron would always find a way to build the house the way we wanted it to be built. Before we hired Aaron to build our house we had interviewed at least four other builders. Aaron seemed to understand what we needed. If we were to build again I would hire Aaron to be my builder.

Description of Work
Aaron Prange (Built by You) helped us build our house from start to finish. He drove to our home in Indianapolis for our first planning meeting. After our first meeting he helped us through every step in the building process. Aaron always answered our phone calls. We were first time builders and Aaron never ran out of patience with our persistent questions. He met us at the building sight whenever we needed him to. He arranged for all of the subcontractors. Occasionally if a subcontractor was not working out Aaron would find a replacement in a timely manner. Aaron's experience and knowledge of the construction business were well worth the price.

Category decks

Melissa G.

Our remodel went extremely well with excellent results. We highly recommend Aaron Prange and Built by YOU to anyone considering a remodel or building their own home. Aaron lined up his contractors who arrived on time and completed the work quickly and with beautiful results. Sub-contractors were scheduled concurrently or back-to-back such that our time without the conveniences of a kitchen were at a bare minimum. Additionally, the quality of the completed work was outstanding and performed by people I welcomed into my home and around my family. Aaron put me at ease with my own budgetary constraints and often found ways to come in under budget without sacrificing quality or our overall goals. Aaron always made me feel that my remodel was just as important as other larger home building projects he may have had at the time. Aaron was always accessible! He was usually on-site on a daily basis expediting the work being done or handling any issues that arose. If not on-site, Aaron called to check on the work done that day or to inform us of who and what to expect the next day, including work to be done and what time to expect workers to arrive. In short, his people arrived on time, did exactly the work I expected, were courteous and cleaned up after themselves and like Aaron, followed through to ensure our satisfaction. He did a beautiful job with our remodel!!

Description of Work
Aaron Prange and Built by YOU completely remodeled my kitchen and dining room into a much larger more spacious and functional beautiful kitchen area. This involved removing a wall installing new and larger windows selecting and installing custom Amish cabinetry selecting and installing countertops, backsplash, new sink/fixtures and appliances. Aaron also worked with the plumber, electrician and hardwood flooring person to adjust our current plumbing, flooring etc....to accommodate what we wanted in our new kitchen. Aaron guided us through several floor plan options he created until we arrived at the perfect plan that met our budget and created the "dream" kitchen we had been hoping for. Aaron and Built by YOU also created a brand new main staircase for the entry of our home. Our new stairs included new hardwood treads balusters newel posts and hand rails, once again coordinating with the Amish cabinet maker creating a consistency in painting and woodwork with beautiful results.

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, countertops, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

Melissa G.

Our remodel went extremely well with excellent results. We highly recommend Aaron Prange and Built by you to anyone considering a remodel or building their own home. Aaron lined up his contractors who arrived on time and completed the work quickly and with beautiful results. Subcontractors were scheduled concurrently for back to back such that our times without the conveniences of a kitchen were at a bare minimum. Additionally, the quality of the completed work was outstanding and performed by people I welcomed into my home and around my family. Aaron put me at ease with my own budgetary constraints and often found ways to come in under budget without sacrificing quality or our overall goals. Aaron always made me feel that my remodel was just as important as other larger home building projects that he may have had at the time. Aaron was always accessible; he was usually on site on a daily basis, expediting the work being done or handling any issues that arose. If not on site, Aaron called to check on the work done that day or to inform us of who and what to expect the next day, including work to be done and what time to expect workers to arrive. In short, his people arrived on time, did exactly the work I expected, were courteous and cleaned up after themselves, and like Aaron, followed through to ensure our satisfaction.

Description of Work
Aron Prange and Built By YOU completely remodeled my kitchen and dining room into a much larger, more spacious, and functional beautiful kitchen area. This involved removing a wall,installing new and larger windows, selecting and installing custom Amish cabinetry, selecting and installing countertops, backsplash, new sink/fixtures, and appliances. Aaron also worked with the plumber, electrician, and hardwood flooring person to adjust our current plumbing, flooring, etc. to accommodate what we wanted in our new kitchen. Aaron guided us through several floor plan options that he had created until we arrived at the perfect plan that met our budget and created the kitchen we had been hoping for. Aaron and Built by YOU also created a brand new main staircase for the entry of our home. Our new stairs included new hardwood treads, new balusters, newel posts, and handrails, once again coordinating with the Amish cabinet maker creating a consistency in painting and woodwork with beautiful results.

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, countertops, electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, home builders, woodworking, home remodeling

03/05/2013

Todd P.

Aaron was the best! He communicated with us at every stage and was careful to understand exactly what we wanted from our new deck. His attention to detail and quality surpassed ours and it was our deck that he was building! I couldn't believe how well the project went. I was grateful for his expertise and and honesty. It isn't often that you end a project with a builder and consider him a friend afterward but that was definitely our experience with Aaron. Since completing the deck, we have had the benefit of Aaron's expertise on many subsequent projects. I can't recommend him highly enough! Our family loves our new deck!

Description of Work
Replaced 12x12 deck that was not safe for children with a brand new deck that was 12x30 and was safe for children. Work involved careful measurement and discussion to learn exactly what we wanted, tree removal, and deck construction including stairs and supports.

Category decks, tree service

03/05/2013

Todd P.

It went great (as expected)! Aaron sent me a draft of the column design that he proposed. We then purchased the necessary supplies and the work was started. The column dramatically updated the curb appeal of our house and brought it at least partially out of the 1970's. It has a beautiful stone work base and wood top half. When column was completed, work started on the front door. The new door is beautiful, better insulated and easier to use. Aaron worked through adverse weather conditions to get the work done at a time that was convenient for us. As always, we sincerely appreciated his attention to detail, thoroughness and reliability.

Description of Work
Replaced dated wrought iron decor on front porch with contemporary craftsman style pyramidal column. Also replaced old front door with new door.

Category woodworking, doors