A.B. Edward Enterprises, Inc.

Founded 2003 • With Angi since October 2007

414 Mercantile Ct.

Wheeling, IL 60090

Since 2003 A.B. Edward Enterprises, Incorporated has been providing Chicagoland homeowners with products and installations in the roofing, siding, windows and gutters industry. A.B. Edward has an unblemished A+ Better Business Bureau rating, an Angie’s List Super Service Award Company, and also

12/04/2021

Evgueni M.

Work was done professionally. Front desk office staff is not responsive or apologetic. Overcharged “by mistake”. Not refunded.

Description of Work
Yearly maintenance

Category gutter cleaning

10/28/2019

Dottie F.

Excellent - no leaks in six months of awful rain in the Chicago area.

Description of Work
repairs to a copper surround of a dormer window and roofing materials adjoining the work when Lindholm's work in this area did not go well.

[Member Name Removed], we really appreciate your review! Thank you so much!

11/13/2018

Robert B.

Fantastic, professional crew came and restored our copper roof sections to near-original status and we could not be happier.

Description of Work
Copper roof restoration

[Member Name Removed] - thank you for leaving us a review! We appreciate your feedback!

03/28/2018

Eric H.

Started out great. Set up appointment. The day came and I got a text message saying they would be at the house in 15 minutes....this was about 7am with our appointment set for later in the afternoon. When the time came, the sales rep showed up late, by at least 30 minutes. Talked the talk, took a bunch of measurements, and was told a price quote would be coming within a few days, that was nearly 15 days ago. Odd thing is that it was to start with 9 windows and later if all went well, a promise of 16 more. I don't chase companies down when spending this kind of money given the number of good contractors out there. My take is that if they can't get the appointment right, show up on time and deliver as promised, why trust them with such big ticket item like my house? Sadly for AB Edwards, that over $20k deal went to another Marvin window certified contractor who showed up at the right time, on-time and provided us with a quote as promised.

Description of Work
Marvin replacement windows......

Category replacement windows

[Member Name Removed], we dropped the ball on this, and to that we apologize. We try our best every day to provide the best experience possible for homeowners as you can see from our reviews and reputation.

01/26/2018

Rebecca H.

Excellent. They went above and beyond. So detail oriented and great communication. Excellent work. We would definitely hire them again!

Description of Work
Completely replaced siding and gutters, soffits and fascia of the entire house

Category contractors, gutter repair, roofing, skylights

Thank you [Member Name Removed]!! This made our day!

11/02/2017

jim B.

Cost was good and installation went well but they wanted $300.00 for fixing the simplest of problems arising after four months of use. Don't expect them to honor any warranty! See photo of downspout leak.

Description of Work
Replace gutters on house.

Category gutter repair, roofing

09/23/2017

RICHARD G.

They did an excellent job and were very professional. For each job they did more than requested to make sure I did not have any issues

Description of Work
I have used them twice over the last 3 Year’s for 2 roofs. I thought they did an excellent job on a flat roof and a pitched roof

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review [Member Name Removed]. We are happy you loved the quality of work and we were happy to have served you.

08/28/2017

Joel D.

Everything went well and repairs were completed

Description of Work
Repair to the area around the skylight. Replaced/repaired damaged flashing and ice guard.

Category roofing, skylights

07/22/2017

Michael H.

Very well. Good communications; responsive; professional work.

Description of Work
Replaced roof and gutters.

Category gutter repair, roofing, skylights

05/05/2017

Loretta H.

Update: We’ve had another three leaks appear at different places in the same room last week with the heavy rains. *Based on my actual experience with AB Edwards services to date, I would strongly advise others to avoid them. * *Reason #1: Our roof has had two leaks already and we've not yet had the roof for 10 years. In addition, we also had ice dam issues resulting in a waterfall in our kitchen and some expensive repairs, despite the contract calling for the use of ice and water shield. This feel like a lot of problems for a new roof--especially as we didn't have problems with our much older roof (20++ years old).* *Reason #2: When I called about the second leak, they told me that my roof was no longer under warranty when, in fact and per the contract that they had in their records, it was still warranted. The way this unraveled in email (see below) really left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a real lack of trust in their motives. * *Reason #3: They have refused to fix the leak we found at the end of 2015. Interestingly, though, the reason for refusing to repair it has shifted. They first claimed it wasn't a leak, later saying it was a leak but an old one. Even after a new leak appeared in the same room relatively close to the original stain and the first stain increased in size, they are still claiming it is an old leak and they won't repair it under the warrantee. * *It feels like there is a pattern of avoiding responsibility for repairs that fall under the warrantee that was part of our original contract in 2007.* *The question of the warrantee unfolded in a series of emails at the beginning of May 2017, so it wasn't that they were put on the spot and were trying to respond quickly. **I told them that we had a new leak (we had one roughly 17 months before--same room, different spot) and needed them to come out and fix it as the roof was still under warrantee. **The next day they asked for pictures and I sent them pictures of the leak on the ceiling with the water dripping from it.* *The next day they offered to do a water test for $220 "since the roof is no longer under warrantee." I immediately asked them for a copy of the contract and an explanation for why they thought the roof was no longer warranted. * *The next day they sent me the contract. I opened their document and on the second page of the roofing contract it said in bold, all-cap letters that labor was warranted for 12 years. In other words, the warrantee runs through 10/2019. **I send an email asking again for them to clarify why they believe the roof is out of warrantee. She responds via email stating, and I quote: "There is no roof warrantee on the document but in 2007 we offered all customers 5 year labor warranty and the roof was completed in 2007." * *I've clarified exactly where in their document they should look for the warrantee info, so we'll see what happens. It is also important to note that there were two AB Edwards employees on these emails. Someone should have read the contract before telling me that we weren't covered.*

Description of Work
*We had three major pieces of work done. * *We had a full roof replacement, 30 year shingles and 12 year labor warrantee. The contract called for an ice and water shield to be installed to all valleys and along the gutter lines per village code 24" over interior wall. These two pieces--the warrantee and the ice/water shield--are important to note. We also had some vents installed. * *They also dropped some plywood in our attic per our special request (which was a great help--we were flooring the attic) while they had the roof open.* *We had tuckpointing done on chimney (pretty extensive), spot work done in back, and replacing a lintel on a bathroom window.* *We had 4 windows vinyl windows replaced.*

11/07/2016

Andrew J.

Chris and his crew were prompt and efficient - we'd be happy to recommend them or use their services again!

Description of Work
New roof with skylight installation

Category roofing, skylights

12/03/2015

Andrew O.

First, Chris did say his company could handle our siding if we needed it. But, most importantly, he told us he thought the problem was window based and not siding related. He was EXTREMELY trustworthy and said we needed to check with the window manufacturer first as it was most likely still covered under warranty. He noted there was no reason to tear up the exterior siding around the window until we first exhausted the window avenue. We did have the window company come out today and verify it is a faulty window. While we didn't need Chris or AB Edwards this time around if we ever do have a siding issue, he will be the first person we call. I can't speak highly enough for his professionalism. Please try this company out if you are having a siding issue.

Description of Work
We have had a leaking window for months and had trouble finding vendors who could handle our modern house Hardie flat panel siding. Chris from ABE came out yesterday morning to take a look for us. He was one of the few with excellent communication and promptness.

11/21/2015

Heidi J. N.

In the end they raised the price significantly: upon closer inspection of the installation surface, they realized that they needed to shim the 1/2" plywood placed underneath the panels and then there were the elaborate cut-outs to accommodate my new small hanging balconies. I guess neither of these had been taken fully into account in the initial estimate. In the end, their work was wonderful. I'm thrilled. I wish there was a place where I could upload photos. The job is that good. Thank you Chris, for fitting me into a hectic fall schedule at the last minute and getting the job done before the winter. AB Enterprise needs to give him a serious raise.

Description of Work
After searching for months and calling numerous contractors and siding specialists, I was told that no one in Chicago could side the small back sun porches of my two-flat building. I had chosen colonial red 4'x8' flat Hardie Board siding panels, thinking they would be easy to install. I was wrong. Very wrong. It turns out that there are only three Hardie board certified installers in the Chicago area; only they are qualified to deal with the highly technical ins and outs of these panels, which are typically used only in commercial applications, although increasingly less so. One company owner (NOT AB Enterprise) came out and told me he could not do the job--two weeks before his company's scheduled starting date and after having waited for two months. He said that the job, upon closer inspection, was simply too difficult. My back porch had had old siding torn off and the surface was now (he said) too uneven to apply the flat board panels. Plus, I wanted an elaborate channel system to frame the rectangular Hardie panels, something that takes a lot of time. I turned to AB Enterprise, which had been my second choice all along. They were a bit more expensive, which is the only reason that I'd not chosen them. Chris Ryba, their man in the field, had always been there for me, even during the initial bidding process: he gets back to you immediately, keeps his word, is punctual, and extremely personable and efficient. He told me that there was no reason why they could not do the work: Sure, it was difficult, but not un-doable. He also knew the materials well. After having interviewed about six different contractors/crews I had come to realize that the installation process required somewhat exceptional crafting skills.

Category contractors, decks, roofing, siding

11/09/2015

Shuyou L.

The quoted amount was almost double of other estimates.

Description of Work
Provided estimate for roof replacement

06/01/2015

Patricia T.

Ken, our contractor exceeded expectations. Initially, I explained to several vendors that I would like a ballpark estimate based on a picture of the window-setting and I knew that meant the estimate might change. Every vendor refused citing that they only do in-home estimates (which are time-consuming and used to pressure the sales process). Instead of brushing me off, Ken took the time to explain a few scenarios and told me how that affected the price. Perfect! As a result, upon completion my expectations were set and then exceeded. The contractor-grade materials made the finish on the windows really stand out as superior.

Description of Work
Replace basement windows.

Category ceiling fans

02/19/2015

Kevin B.

From the initial visit to provide a quote to the last visit when they finished my front door everyone involved was very professional, prompt, and courteous. There were no surprises and the work on each phase went smooth. My roof was very old and I honestly waited beyond the point where the work should have been done. Chris Ryba was honest about what he found from the start and the extra charges for replacement of plywood that had rotted was expected and within the range we discussed prior to the roof tear off. Chris didn't just expect me to take his word for it either he provided pictures of what they found as they found it so I could see for myself any additional problems. The gutters, soffit and facia project was finished after the roof and was performed as expected. I requested to have as much of the water directed towards the front of my house and they gladly complied and did their best to do so. The window and door were ordered and came in about a month after being ordered. Chris kept me informed of manufacturing and delivery dates so there were no surprises. The work on the window and front door went very smooth. Billing was very efficient. Other than the initial deposit for the job they did not bill me for any part of the project until it was finished and they made sure we were satisfied with the result. They also left the outside of my house as clean as could be expected. They kept everything covered and cleaned up on a daily basis. My wife and I are very happy with the work performed.

Description of Work
Replaced my roof, gutters, downspouts, soffit ,facia, spot tuckpointing, living room window, and front door and storm door.

Category contractors, gutter repair, masonry, roofing, siding, woodworking

Thank you so much for the review! We are happy to have served you!

10/17/2014

Daryl P.

Trim and siding work went very well. No sub-contractor work. Excellent attention to construction and asetetic details. Sincere concern and responsiveness for customer satisfaction from the scheduling and throughout the daily progression of their work.

Description of Work
Removal and replacement of Masonite like siding with Jame Hardie fiber cement product.

Category siding

Thank you so much for the feedback It was great to be a part of this project and look forward to hearing from you again!

10/15/2014

Evgueni M.

It was very easy to deal with Andy; very professional and prompt, very hands on. Work is completed in time and is esthetically pleasing. Hopefully my roof will not leak again anytime soon (: We will continue to use this provider for all of our exterior needs.

Description of Work
Replaced 1.5 year old flat roof, done incorrectly by others.

09/07/2014

Ann S.

AB Edwards was recommended to me by my contractor and they returned my calls and got me an estimate promptly. They kept in touch regarding when they would be able to start and arrived early and stayed late to get the job done in 2 days. They provided me with information regarding energy efficient shingles and skylight choices. Their workers were courteous, neat and friendly and the job site was immaculate when they were done. My roof, dormers and skylights look great and are a big improvement over the old.

Description of Work
replaced the roof and skylights

Category contractors, roofing, skylights

Wow, thank you for the kind review! Sharing this with our entire team this morning. Feedback such as yours is crucial to our success. Thanks again!

08/29/2014

Darren F.

Our overall experience with AB Edwards was good. We had significant ice damming which occurred due in part to a low pitch roof, the preceding winter. Leaks began occurring following the winter and Ben from AB Edwards came out a number of times in an attempt to repair the affected areas and find the source of the leak. We appreciated that when other roofers werent even returning calls, let alone willing to do a repair (vs. replacement), he was working with us to solve the problem and try to save us some money. In the end, due to the extensive leaks, we opted to replace half of our roof. Ben was wonderful to work with and helped the process to move smoothly. We would definetely consider using AB Edwards again in the future.

Description of Work
Replaced one half (back slopes) of our roof, replaced several skylights, and rear gutters.

Category gutter repair, roofing, skylights

Thank you for leaving us details of your experience with us! It was a pleasure serving you!

08/19/2014

Linda S.

We requested a quote to replace our cedar siding with Hardi board as the woodpeckers have been destroying the exterior of our home. The AB Edwards representative Chris came out on time, was very punctual, professional and friendly. He walked the exterior with us, did measurements and discussed design ideas with us. After about an hour and a half he finished his tasks and said he would get a quote to us either at the end of that week or early the following. That was the last we heard from him. I sent a follow up email on June 26th and was told "Let me see what happened". Again no response. I then emailed again on July 1st and was tole "We are working on it". That was the last I ever heard from them. I emailed again on August 11th and have never received a reply. Very disappointing that this company with so many good reviews would have such terrible communication. I said I would use this provider in the future solely based on the reviews of their work. I cannot hold a whole company responsible for the actions of one employee. Perhaps if they provided me with a quote my reviews may change... Update: AB Edwards and Chris contacted me and was very apologetic for the issue I was having. Chris explained the issue that had occurred with my quote and promptly came out to meet with me and rectify the issue. I received my quote soon thereafter and received a follow up apology call. All individuals I dealt with were professional and responsive. This has helped change my opinion of the company.

Description of Work
We requested a quote to replace our cedar siding with Hardi board.

Category roofing, siding

We appreciate your honest feedback and we couldn't be happier with the outcome. Look forward to serving you again! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need anything at all.

08/04/2014

PAUL D.

They did outstanding work. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
They did roof work for me.

[removed member name]thank you for the review, it was a pleasure serving you!!

05/12/2014

Stephen A.

Reroofing and gutters went smooth and workmanship was of good quality. Trim work took a while longer to schedule however finished before end of season. Final results were very good overall.

Description of Work
New Roof, Gutters & Trim

Category gutter repair, roofing

Thank you so much for your kind review! We look forward to serving you in the future!

05/08/2014

LEIGH M.

Quality and professional are the two words that best describe AB Edwards. I just spent over $18,000 with them for downspouts, gutters, new roofs on house, detached garage and attached garage. They also rebuilt my chimney. It was a lot of money but Andy, Marcin and their team were so professional and true craftsmen. Marcin and I kept in contact over 5 months because the polar vortex didn't allow them to work. They were also very conscientious of the weather this spring so they weren't working in any rain. I'm so glad I went with them. Their prices were comparable to other companies I contacted. I have the most stunning roof in the neighborhood I must say.

Description of Work
Rebuilt Chimney, House Roof, Detached Garage Roof, Attached Garage Roof, Gutters & Downspouts

Category gutter repair, masonry, roofing

Thank you so much for the kind review! We LOVE making customers like you here on Angie's List happy and satisfied!

03/24/2014

David E.

On their web site it says free proposal for replacement work ... When I asked for someone to give me a proposal to replace a roof i was told that there was a charge and that the proposal was free only if they would get the job ... This is not a free proposal ... their web site is not truthful.

Description of Work
Requested Charge for "free proposal"

[Member name removed], We appreciate and thank you for notifying us of your concern and in fairness we wanted to respond to you as we do all of clients. At A.B. Edward, we care very much about our customers and their overall experience with our company. Our commitment to complete customer satisfaction is the staple of our company and has been a driving force for our success for over 13 years. Listed below are the terms and conditions for either a FREE PROPOSAL or a PAID SERVICE APPOINTMENT. We do have this clearly listed on our website homepage and also on our FREE ESTIMATE area to help customers identify between the two. We have a dedicated marketing and customer service department that monitors our website on an hourly basis making sure all of our content is truthful, accurate and updated daily. We apologize for any confusion you might have had regarding the services. FREE PROPOSAL When you are in need of a Replacement for your roof, siding, gutters or windows, A.B. Edward Enterprises will send an exterior sales professional to your home at NO COST to you. Our representatives will discuss your project, provide education on available materials and installation procedures then give you a detailed PROPOSAL to complete your home improvement. A.B. Edward has never charged for a roofing replacement estimate in any of the 13 years we have been in business. We would be more than happy to provide you with a FREE roofing replacement proposal at your convenience. For clarification please see our terms and conditions below and we would be happy to assist you. PAID SERVICE APPOINTMENT If you are experiencing leaks, damage, or are in need of minor repairs to your homes exterior, you will want to contact us for a SERVICE APPOINTMENT. We will send to your home for a nominal fee one of our highly trained service technicians who will assess the damage and if possible repair your home right on the spot. Our technicians specialize in many types of exterior repairs to keep your home protected. In closing, we take all necessary steps to proving the highest level of customer service to all Angie’s List members. Every review posted is personally responded to by our quality control department because your opinion always counts with us. Kind regards, A.B. Edward Enterprises.