A-1 CONTRACTORS INC

Founded 1989 • With Angi since October 2005

120 E MARQUARDT DR

Wheeling, IL 60090

A-1 Contractors business philosophy is simple, customer satisfaction through the best-built hardscape project. This philosophy is what separates us from the competition. A-1 Contractors, Inc. is a leader in the hardscape industry and has grown over the last 21 years to become the North Shores’ premier installer of brick pavers, natural stone, and concrete in the commercial and residential market. Our accomplishments have made us known as the most thorough and reliable hardscape contractor in the area. Our supervisory employees have an average of 8 to 10 years experience. All our employees are well trained, diligent, and motivated. Craftsmanship, a strict compliance to manufactures installation specifications, and attention to detail are core principles to our employees. They recognize that every project is a reflection of their abilities and A-1’s image in the industry. A-1 Contractors will establish a meeting for you with one of our professional sales staff. They will assist in the design of your project or work with an existing plan or idea you might have. From there a free estimate will be prepared, accompanied with an explanation of the installation process. From design to completion of construction you can be rest assured that A-1 Contractors will deliver a project of the utmost professionalism, craftsmanship and customer satisfaction. A-1 has grown steadily over the past 21 years and customer referrals have been the key to our success. 95% of our business is built on customer referrals. We believe the strongest sales tool a company can have is “happy customers” and because of that fact, A-1 has committed itself to keeping in step with advances in technology and innovation in the hardscape industry. This kind of commitment insures continued customer satisfaction and A-1’s future success… …as we always say, “nothing sells better than a happy customer.”...

11/18/2015

haruko N.

Description of Work
I thought they are nice |We did not sue the material they provide ..

11/02/2015

James L.

Description of Work
We hired them to repair our brick steps and porch, and to sand and seal our brick driveway. The work was done on time at the agreed upon rate, very professional and courteous crew. Highly recommend them.

09/24/2015

Jonathan E.

Our bluestone steps to our back garden were crumbling. They hadbeen poorly tended by the prior owner and they looked awful.We had one cracked riser, a lot of mortar had come out and thestones were chipping (like peeling layers off of an onion). Rather than rebuild the steps entirely, we had A1 come out to repoint the steps. They showed up on time and did a fantastic job. These steps that were previously a slight embarrassment now look asgood as the rest of our home's exterior (which is nice and well tended). I will haveA-1 back next spring to some additional brickwork around my patio.

Description of Work
Repointed our bluestone garden stairs.

Category masonry, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, patios

07/21/2015

Kenneth R.

I had a great deal of interaction with them and have STRONG mixed reactions, which are pretty much on par for the reviews I have read. Their work is great. That isnt the problem. The problem is in their pricing. It is WAY above industry average. I spent time in communication with them, and here is how they arrive at their fees- they have multiple levels of management. They have a sales force whos position it is to sell. They get commission. They have managers, who get paid bonuses. Their workers get paid, they have to pay overhead, and then the executives get paid. All coming out of your pocket. So rather that the owner being involved, you pay for a salesman who does nothing other than present the contract and get guys out. As a result, their pricing is 20-30% above industry standard. I cant fault the quality, but you PAY for it and pay dearly.

Description of Work
Rebuilt my pool decking and hardscape around a high end home.

03/26/2015

abby A.

I had a good experience. They were on time, on estimates, prompt, meticulous trying to match a hundred year old. There is nothing bout them that wasn't great. It looks fabulous. They were fabulous. Its more than I want to spend. I'm going to use them again.

Description of Work
They rebuilt a hundred year old concrete brick back-steps and relayed some concrete on the driveway.

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, masonry

03/10/2015

JIM D.

Excellent job!

Description of Work
They replaced my concrete stoop and concrete walkway.

12/16/2014

Anne K.

The price was not the most expensive and not the cheapest, and quality was pretty good for the driveway. The first issue was that A-1 treated my job as if I were asking them a favor to do it. They had a large industrial job (apparently) going on at the same time, and kept delaying, saying they would "fit me in" when they could get to me. As if I were not paying them a full price to do the work. The work was begun about 8 weeks after I was told it would start due to the other, larger project going on. The workers left a mess, and damaged the concrete in my garage. I needed to call A-1 back to repair the garage and clean up. The most aggravating part of the process was that the estimate did not include elements I would have thought would have been included in a full proposal. While the contract stated that "landscaping" was not included, A-1 considered the job complete when there was a 9-inch deep, 12-inch wide gap between the new driveway and my existing lawn. They offered to back-fill this trench around the new driveway for an additional $1,800. I hired a landscaper to fill it in for about $300. A-1 was completely unresponsive when I complained about the trench around the driveway. They literally had no comment other than "landscaping is not included." The driveway seems to be pretty good quality, but their customer service was abysmal.

Description of Work
Remove asphalt driveway and install concrete driveway with pavers on the side

11/14/2014

Sondra C.

Decided could not afford at this time.

Description of Work
Gave me an estimate

10/26/2014

Justyce G.

Kyle Egan was on time for the appointment and had a very professional manner. I delayed the project because I didn't have the plat drawings that he wanted. He was still able to survey the property and listen to our ideas. Onsite meeting went well with no problems. However, I sent the plat drawings on 8/17 but I didn't hear from him or get a drawing until 8/25 which was no more than a week. But in his email he did no price any of the work and wanted me to pick out what I liked about the current 3D design. Later he sent an email on 9/05 saying that he is sorry that he was not able to get to the estimate. I was ok with that but it took him up to 9/16 to send the estimate. I felt that the time period was unacceptable. He explained that the emails may have went to the junk file. But we originally had no problems with emails. Overall, I felt as if the 3D drawings were very elementary and not worth $149. We plan to hire a landscape designer just so that we know that we are getting a professional who is current, thoughtful, creative, and respectful of their clients time. Thank you.

Description of Work
Make 3D drawings of landscape project that we were interested in doing. Drawings were of front steps, sidewalk, and backyard patio and grill area.

Category hardscaping, patios

10/24/2014

Theodore R.

The crew arrived on time, we were pleased with the quality of the their work. They had to cover the installation to allow for the set, they returned days later and all materials were removed and the area was cleaned.

Description of Work
Provided a concrete slab for a shed per our city's permit specifications. Prior to install they contacted Julie to identify lines. Also arranged for the inspection.

10/02/2014

Nancy N.

Fabulous job!!! Our 35-year-old concrete driveway was cracked in several places, which allowed water to wash back toward and into the house and basement. I wanted to re-do the entire driveway, but I couldn't afford to do all of it in one year. But the top portion of the driveway absolutely had to be replaced this summer to fix the water problem. A-1 had to hammer out all of the old concrete, level the area, put in several inches of gravel, pour a "best mix" concrete, and cover it with a sealant. They did it all in a total of three days (Friday, Monday and Tuesday). They made sure that the concrete is pitched slightly away from the house and toward the lawn, so that when it rains (or if we have another terribly snowy winter), the water that accumulates on the driveway will wash away from the house. Kyle was very responsive when I first called to have him come to the house to give me an estimate. He was very prompt in returning that estimate and took the time to answer all of my questions. The top portion of the driveway now looks great, and so do the stoops that were replaced. I fully intend to have A-1 replace the rest of the driveway when I can afford to do it. Update: A-1replaced the rest of the driveway this summer, and -again- did a fabulous job. Kyle Egan was very responsive to me and worked with me to coordinate parking, since I could not park on the street or anywhere on the property during the driveway replacement. He kept me informed about scheduling changes that couldn't be avoided given how terribly wet this spring has been. The workers were prompt, diligent and professional. I am so impressed with how smoothly and efficiently they got everything done. I have two backyard patios that are showing their age, and when it's time to give them a makeover, I will be contacting A-1.

Description of Work
A-1 Contractors replaced the remainder of our very long concrete driveway.

06/21/2013

Gregory J.

The price was reasonable. It was great service. They asked a lot of questions and knew exactly what we wanted to have done. They did it very promptly.

Description of Work
We used A-1 Contractors to modify an outdoor patio.

Category patios

05/17/2013

James S.

John Egan came out to the house, discussed our needs and quoted on replacing our current concrete driveway with one constructed of paver bricks. Several weeks later the work was completed on time and without incident and to our total satisfaction.

Description of Work
Replaced concrete driveway with paver brick driveway.

08/22/2012

WILLIAM R.

Very responsive. Came right out to do an estimate and were helpful in the design of the project.. It took a couple weeks between my approving the job and the work being done but that's to be expected.When they arrived the crew was professional, courteous and did the job quickly - in one day. Looks beautiful. This is the second time I've used A-. They also installed a brick driveway for me a couple of years ago. It was on the basis of the great job they did on that project that I hired them again. And I was not disappointed. Great company. Beautiful work. No problems. How often do you get that?

Description of Work
A-1 built a garden wall for me. 40 feet long by 2 feet high using pavers. The wall negotiates sever difficult curves.

Category masonry, hardscaping

08/24/2011

Ronald B.

Scheduled for my convenience. Arrived on time and completed work professionally. After they left, I noticed a bubble appeared opening one of the holes used for the mud jacking. I called and they stop later in the day and corrected the problem. Overall, a great experience.

Description of Work
Leveled sidewalk approaching front porch.

Category concrete repair, mudjacking

08/26/2010

Willard H.

They did excellent work.

Description of Work
They put in a driveway and a sidewalk.

Category concrete repair

07/08/2010

Michele W.

An excellent experience, they work neatly and efficiently and produce a beautiful finished product. They take pride in their work and it shows. We also appreciated the way they kept us updated as they progressed so we could make arrangements to minimize the disruption that happens when you have a big project going on around your home. We live on a busy street with lots of pedestrian traffic so this was an important part of making things run smoothly. It was a pleasure to work with them from the estimate to completion of the job.

Description of Work
Replaced concrete sidewalk in the front of the house and did some repair work on concrete steps in the back of the house.

Category concrete repair

09/22/2009

CATHY B.

It seemed like a lot of money for two rows of bricks along side a very short (26') driveway but they sure do look nice. The men were hard working, arrived on time and did an extremely professional job.

Description of Work
We wanted our driveway edged in brick pavers, a double row on each side.

Category masonry, hardscaping

07/30/2009

WILLIAM R.

Excellent service and professional approach. Fast response time and BEAUTIFUL work.

Description of Work
new brick driveway and sidewalk

01/01/2009

MARK K.

Dan Egan is the company president, and he was very professional. He quoted various options (sealer, choice of two different grades of concrete, etc.), and he took a lot of time and explained everything very well. He also made some good suggestions. He poured very deep foundations to make sure that the overhang on my patio was properly supported, and his people took great care with finishing the concrete to give it the right surface appearance. The job was great from start to finish, and the quality was excellent. Dan's brother Bill replaced the three limestone sills under my doors and repaired the bricks on the face of my house, and he did a fantastic job. He even came back on a Saturday and spent a lot of time making sure everything was perfect with the front door closing properly over the threshold. I will be hiring him again to do brickwork around a flower bed next summer.

Description of Work
Replaced all of the concrete around my house (large patio plus all sidewalks), replaced the limestone sills under my 3 doors, and repaired damaged bricks on the front face of my house.

Category concrete repair, masonry

12/02/2008

VITO P.

They were very professional with there work. They were on time, they stuck to there estimate. They were very pleasant people to work with and they knew what they were doing.

Description of Work
They put in a set of concrete steps at my own house.

Category concrete repair, masonry

08/29/2007

HARRY D.

They did a terrific job. Once they started, they stayed on the job until it was completed, a process of almost two weeks. They created some involved design into the brickwork. They cleaned up the job site every night. The crew was personable and conscientious.

Description of Work
Replaced a long blacktop driveway with Uniblock paving bricks.

07/16/2007

Michelle A.

They were very professional and punctual. After several years the path still looks great as it did when it was installed.

Description of Work
We had a paver sidewalk (approx. 50 feet long) installed.

07/11/2006

HELEN R.

He came to my house and seemed in a hurry. Did not write up estimate, but mailed it to me.

Description of Work
No work was performed.

10/06/2005

MARILYN S.

JOHN WAS VERY PLEASANT AND HELPFUL IN PERSON AND ON PAPER (A DETAILED ESTIMATE WAS SENT). HE CAME WITH HIS WORKERS (ALSO VERY PLEASANT AND HELPFUL-ROBERTO), AND MADE SURE THEY KNEW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO. THE WORKERS REMOVED, CLEANED, ADDED TO, AND REPLACED ALL BRICK. I WILL CONSIDER CALLING THEM NEXT YEAR TO DO A PATIO IN OUR BACK YARD.

Description of Work
1. REPAIRED BRICKS BY OUR FRONT DOOR AND A SECTION TO RIGHT OF DRIVEWAY (SINKING). 2. FIXED EDGING ON EXISTING BRICK WORK DOWN OUR DRIVEWAY. 3. EXTENDED DOWNSPOUT BY INSTALLING DRAINTILE BELOW GROUND.

Category masonry, drain pipe

Olsen Tuckpointing Co

Masonry specialists servicing the Chicago area suburbs for over 55 years. 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. Family owned - 19 employees - no subcontractors - all experienced tuckpointers & union journeymen. Cost is determined by the job. Free estimates, no travel charges. Fully licensed, bonded and insured. A+ Rating from Better Business Bureau. Super Service Award (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020) from Angie's List.

AAA-1 Masonry & Tuckpointing Inc

Specialists in masonry restoration and building preservation since 1954. Licensed masons. Thousands of references. Fully Insured. Free written quotation for work in writing. Extensive knowledge of all aspects of masonry restoration work: mortar repair; parapet wall rebuilding; lintel replacement; chimneys; cleaning, caulking and sealing; and terra cotta/GFRC work. We are just as comfortable fixing your landmarked 100-year-old home as we are grinding, tuckpointing and sealing your 50-unit condominium building. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No extra charge for after-hours service. 65 years of continuous service. Preferred mason contractor of architects and structural engineers. Very informative website found at www.AAA1Masonry.com. Send all inquiries to Info@AAA1Masonry or Robert@AAA1Masonry.com

Offers by AAA-1 Masonry & Tuckpointing Inc on Angi
    North Shore Brickwork and Windows, Inc

North Shore has practiced to provide high quality Brick repair and Window Installations for over 30 years. North Shore Brickwork and Windows craftsmanship is second to none with our superior team of experts. We administer restoration of exteriors from the effects of environmental factors this includes brick repair and window installations.

Natural Stone, Brick Paving, and Concrete. We will build patios, pool decks, driveways and borders, walks, steps, fireplaces, grill cabinets, water features, entry monuments, columns, retaining walls, seat walls and more. We also specialize in maintenance and repair for any of these projects.

We do not do asphalt work. We also do not do mudjacking and skim coating concrete.