Merts Heating and Air Conditioning

Founded 1952 • With Angi since March 2007

3102 Louis Sherman Dr

Steger, IL 60475

We would like to introduce ourselves as Merts Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. Merts has built a reputation of being one of Chicago Southlands largest and most reliable Heating and Air Conditioning Companies since 1952. Merts experienced team of customer service oriented employees are regularly updated on all current techniques, procedures, equipment and controls in the HVAC industry. Our customers know that they can trust Merts to offer the finest products and services available. Merts will provide you with the best possible heating and cooling experience. Merts wants to earn your loyalty so you will never have to worry about your heating, cooling or indoor air quality ever again. Merts will respect you and your home or business. We will demonstrate that we are the most qualified in the HVAC field. Merts will not take short cuts to repair, service, or install your HVAC system. Merts will provide you with indoor comfort 24/7, we will treat you fairly. We are a fully licensed and insured HVAC specialist. We also service portions of Kankakee & Lake Counties IN. Please visit our website for additional information www.mertsheating.com...

09/10/2018

Pat N.

Was quoted a price by "Cal" of “$260 and we'll go from there depending on circumstances.” The two installers show up 30 minutes early and were very polite. Worked for a few minutes trying to get old unit out and then the received a phone call. Installer went outside and then came in and informed me price would be $500 per hour since there were two of them. Told him that was NOT what I was told. He went and made another phone call and came back with a price of $250 per hour (said there was a misunderstanding and it was $250 per hour because there were two of them on the job). Since they were already there and I wanted the job done, I told them to go ahead. The plug receptacle also needed to be changed out, because the old plug type was a 6-30P and the new AC unit is a 6-15P. That was an additional charge of $80 for them to provide the plug and change it. When the plug issue was being addressed, I specifically asked if there would be a problem with the circuit breaker designated for the AC since it was a double-pull 30 amp. The worker asked my question to whoever was on the other end of the phone and then told me there was no problem with continuing to use the 30 amp circuit breaker because it was more than heavy enough to handle the new 15 amp AC unit. I have now found out that answer is emphatically wrong. Reading the installation directions it states: “Before you install or relocate this unit, be sure that the amperage rating of the circuit breaker or time delay fuse does not exceed the amp rating listed in Table 1.” Table 1 shows the circuit rating for that AC unit should be 15 amps. The job took two hours ($500) and only after they had it all installed (including the foam seal and insulation, pouring water into the drip plan to see if it would come out, etc.), then they plugged it in -- and it didn't work. While it was not the fault of Mert’s that the unit did not work, they might have decided to plug it in and try it before they installed it. While the $580 I paid would have been a fair price had the unit worked and the advice I was given correct, what I ended up with was an installed AC unit that doesn't work, a plug receptacle that does and totally wrong information concerning the circuit breaker, which I also confirmed with my local fire department. They had also offered to reinstall the trim work around the AC, but for $250 an hour, I can certainly do that myself. I also decided the other work I spoke with them about should be tabled while I move on to someone else to install the replacement unit and who has a better underwriting of wiring and electricity.

Description of Work
Hired to remove current wall unit AC and replace with new AC unit I had purchased.

05/29/2018

Bruce C.

I used Merts in the past and was always satisfied with their work. The sales and install team very knowledgeable courteous and answered all my questions. The project took about five hours

Description of Work
New furnace and water heater install

06/08/2017

Les J.

One of WORST companies I ever dealt with. Had a new A/C and Air handler to replace one didn't work and leaking, The new was not install right very shoddy work, did not fill the system with refrigerant, run for 48 hours never cool the house, they had to come on fill system. Was not install the right, was never level, so it leak the water into the drip pan and full with water and leak in on to the ceiling then all over place. Had come out and remove and reinstall. DON'T believe unit has very work right? 2 1/2 years later unit wouldn't work Call for repairs Came out said unit need refrigerant, check it for leaks and filled system said he did it but house never got cool I believe the it was never done and said there was no charge sounded kind of funny but I was happy ? Call next day, came back out check it out, know said there is leak at the condenser would need to back to shop to get new one if they had one and be install later that day and it be under the warranty, never got a call waited never got a call. Had to call them to find that had get the Lenox Rep out didn't know when Had to wait 5 days for rep they give a new condenser but I would have to pay for all work, shipping, refrigerant. I got mad and ask to have the owner or the Manager to call me and by the repair HE WOULD NOT TELL THEM. I was in service business for 40 years If I said to Customer I would FIRED on spot. Try calls to them to talk And THEY WILL NOT RETURN CALLS OR TALK TO ME. I don't know they stay in business. I can't be the only one to been this bad.

Description of Work
Had a new A/C and Air handler, to replace my old one that did work.

05/24/2017

Bruce C.

Very well. The service rep was conscientious ( shoe covers), courteous and informative about the problem which he resolved. Gave an estimate on the life of the furnace to help us decide a timeline for replacement. Obtained a second opinion from an independent source who agreed with Mert's estimate. I would definitely use Mert's again.

Description of Work
furnace troubleshooting

03/14/2017

Richard J S.

Though I had to wait for an appointment time due to time of year I called, the technician was very punctual. He checked all aspects of the furnace and it's operation. He actually disassembled the burner assembly more then any other service company I had used in the past.

Description of Work
Routine furnace maintenance

11/02/2016

Peter S.

These guys are absolutely great. Salesman explained to me patiently everything that needed to be done and why. The crew that arrived for install were punctual, got a heating/ac condo unit out and the new one in a very tight space ( I couldn't watch I actually felt sorry for them) , were knowledgeable, worked through the idiosyncrasies of the condo unit and gave me an easy to read new simple thermostat that I can actually use without having to squint (senior here) and read a manual. And both the heating and a/c worked after I tested them when they left. I will never call anyone for HVAC but these guys. I'm absolutely delighted with their work.

Description of Work
HVAC unit in 3rd floor condo.

07/20/2016

beverly S.

08/31/2015

Wendy B.

Technician said all was fine. The following week my air conditioners were not cooling. I called another company I used in the past but where unavailable previously. The air conditioners were not okay. One was very low on gas and the other had to be replaced. I called Mertz to tell them and enquire why there technician had said all was okay. The lady on the phone said the manager would call me back. I never received a call back. $360 down the drain. Would not recommend. Not exactly sure of date but in August.

Description of Work
Check 4 air conditioners.

06/23/2015

Mildred B.

Filters were not included and he pitched purchasing the filter for an extra cost, which I did.

Description of Work
They did tune up on my AC and heating unit last year.

12/31/2014

Jean S.

I had a conflict with scheduling right out on time. Before my husband died he recommended that I'd use them, he used to work with them. He was always very pleased with their pricing. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
They did some air conditioning repair that I have them in for cleaning, like a furnace cleaning and then I had them in for follow up because my furnace was making an unusual noise.

04/14/2014

Sharon B.

Our heat went out. It was at night time. We called and left a message. A technician call early the next morning and came out a few hours later. We had called some other companies and they either could not come to our area or they did not respond to our call.

Description of Work
Installed new control board on furnace.

02/17/2014

David N.

I own a commercial building that I rent out. My tenants called and told me both shop furnaces had failed during the week. I called Merts about 5pm on a Wednesday, and they had a service tech there before Noon the next morning. This was above and beyond what he had to do, and surely helped avoid any other problems that would have occurred due the extremely cold temps that week.

Description of Work
After diagnosing the problems, which were different in both heaters, the service tech was able to switch parts from one heater to the other to have at least one functioning heater while waiting on parts.

01/27/2014

Catherine D.

On Monday morning, two men showed up at 8am to install my new furnace and a/c. They worked all day, straight thru, and by 4:30 I had a new working furnace and a/c system. They were very polite and efficient. They cleaned up the basement before they left and took the old furnace and a/c away. The new furnace is wonderful! I upgraded the furnace because of my age and the age of the house, furnace and a/c system. Mert's provided my previous a/c and I'd use them again.

Description of Work
A service call was provided within an hour of calling on a Friday. I had an old furnace that wasn't working and needed replacing. The service man did a quick fix so I could use my furnace every few hours over the weekend. On Monday morning two men came to replace my furnace and a/c.

11/02/2013

John M.

Problem was diagnosed and fixed within a few hours. Very prompt service. Would certainly use them again.

Description of Work
Replaced flame sensor and igniter.

07/27/2013

AJ P.

It went well. They arrived at 7:30am as promised. There were two technicians and they worked diligently and efficiently removing the old unit, and installing the new unit. They were completely done around 11:30am and spent the next 30 to 40 minutes checking out the unit to be sure it was working, which it was. They cleaned up after themselves. The installers were friendly and professional. We have another unit which cools the second floor and which was also installed when we built the house 9 years ago. Based on the way this install went MERTS will be at the top of my list when it comes time to replace the second unit. The only thing I would have liked to be different is the warranty covering the labor, which is only 1 year from the date of install. The unit and all parts have a 10 year warranty. The price was reasonable, lower than some and a little higher than other estimates we got. Again overall it was a good experience.

Description of Work
MERTS replaced the air conditioning unit that serviced our basement and first floor. The original unit was installed when the house was built 9 years ago and had stopped working.

07/01/2013

Teresa P.

The technician came out the day I called and took a look at the work to be done and provided me with a free estimate. We agreed to the work and he scheduled the work for the next week as he had to order some special parts for me. He showed up 30 minutes early for our installation and finished in the time he alloted. He was very professional and answered all my questions and was kind enough to hook up my new dryer to the new vent so I didn't have to call out the dryer installers again. Over all it was a great experience and I will be using Merts for all my future heating and air conditioning needs.

Description of Work
Installed rigid dryer venting.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, dryer vent cleaning

11/06/2012

Jaye M.

These guys are outstanding. They are knowledgeable, skilled, dependable and honest... all for a decent price. Mert's has been taking care of our HVAC needs for years! Being new to Angie's List, I wanted to make sure they received a great review as a result of all the work they have done for us. The 2 year service agreement is something new for us; but when they call their clients with the service / check up call ahead of the inevitable heat or cold - life is made much easier. If there is any problem, they respond quickly. Great group of people.

Description of Work
Replaced old furnace and installed a high efficiency furnace in 2005. Yearly maintenance for HVAC systems. Most recently purchased a 2 yr transferrable service agreement.

07/13/2012

Alan K.

The sales rep was very professional and very complete in giving us all the information to make a decision on what units we needed for our house. He did not try to over sell us, but simply let us know the units we needed to make our home comfortable. After receiving bids from two other companies, they had a competitive price with a good warranty.We booked the installation date and the installers show up on time and went right to work. The were very polite and happy to answer any questions we had. The finished on time, and did a great job of cleaning up the work site. We were very happy with everything they did.Overall, we had a great experience and would recommend them to anyone who needs AC or furnace work done. We are very happy with our system, and so far this summer it has kept us cool on those 100+ days.

Description of Work
Replaced our original air conditioner and furnace in our 2 story home.

02/22/2012

Julie T.

When the people at Merts changed my appointment to an emergency visit, the house was getting very cold. And when the technician arrived less than two hours later, I was very surprised. He immediately figured out by the sound what was going wrong. It took him less that an hour to replace the pump and go over the entire boiler, adjusting and cleaning what he could. It was an older boiler and not a very good quality one, but it came with the house and had lasted 15 years. Before he left, he explained what some of the problems were with the boiler. Most of these things had been pointed out to me during the yearly tune-up service the year before. He said that if I wanted to replace the boiler within the next 30 days, he would subtract the cost of the 500.00 heat pump from the price of the boiler. He recommended a boiler, but also offered to have their salesman provide information about other makes and models. The technician was neat, efficient, pleasant, knowledgeable, and to the point. He was very informative and offered to answer any questions. The lady in the office was very helpful and understanding also. At this point, I can't really see myself dealing with anyone else for HVAC, even if the price quoted by someone else is a little less. The overall service wipes out any money difference. This is a company that believes in its service and its product.

Description of Work
On the 8th of February I called Merts to schedule an appointment because my boiler was making a strange knocking sound. I was scheduled for the morning of the 10th. After a few hours I realized that the house seemed colder even though I could hear the boiler working. I called Merts back and explained the problem. The lady who answered asked me to hold for a moment and then came back on the line. She had spoken with the boiler technician and explained the problem to him. It was decided that I needed service quickly and an appointment was scheduled later that day. The technician arrived two hours later and quickly spotted the problem. He replaced the heat pump, which cured the problem immediately. It turned out that the boiler was heating water, but the hot water was not being circulated. Therefore the boiler kept shutting off and the house just kept getting colder. If they had not come and replaced the pump and left me waiting until Friday, I would have been very cold indeed. I was surprised and grateful that they could turn my appointment into an emergency call so quickly.

11/18/2010

Bobby L.

They are wonderful to work with. I would certainly consider calling them. I am very picky when it comes to these things and they impressed me. On the side of their truck is a statement about honesty, and I can certainly attest to that.

Description of Work
We had a couple of wires burn out in our air conditioner. They fixed this once only to have it burn out again. When they returned (quickly) they fixed it immediately and told me of the greater problem. However, he said that it should last through the rest of the summer and would not charge me unless I wanted to do the more serious repair. I took the free option and it worked great. I appreciate that honesty and their concern.

10/28/2010

Harold K.

Existing HVAC unit broke down in early May just before a 90 degree weekend was forecasted. Provided the lowest price quote for a comparable unit and were able to install before the hot weekend weather. Other companies who provided quote were not able to install the unit right away. Overall very happy with the Price, quick installation and customer service provided.

Description of Work
HVAC unit was completely replaced and new programable thermostat installed.

03/14/2010

ANGELA S.

I began hearing a chirping noise that only happened when the furnace kicked on. Later that evening a burning smell started to waft through the house. I called Merts, because their sticker was on the furnace. They told me that a serviceman would contact me shortly to schedule an appointment. Not even 30 minutes later, Dave called. He asked several questions, and determined that the blower motor may be going out. Since it was late (almost 10pm on a Saturday night), he scheduled an appointment to come out at 7am the next morning. Dave arrived at about 7:10am on Sunday. He checked the furnace, and determined that the blower motor was locking up, causing the burning smell. He located the new part in Tinley Park. He went to pick it up, and came back to install it. From start to finish, he was done before 10am. Dave was prompt, professional, and very funny! We asked him about estimates for replacing our furnace and AC, and other general questions. We've decided to have Merts conduct our regular cleaning and service based on this experience.

Description of Work
Replaced a blower motor and capacitor in our furnace, and inspected furnace for other possible issues.

01/22/2010

KENNETH B.

After the routine furnace inspection we asked the tech about getting an electronic air filter. He said that it has been found to not be effective and suggested that we put in an environmental air treatment system. We weren't familiar with this new system so he suggested that we go to the show room to see what they looked like and talk with the sales people. When we did later on that day the sales people were very courteous, informative and not pushy about selling us something we may not have wanted. We scheduled to have one installed the following week. We have only had it a short time so really can't report on its effectiveness yet. They showed up on time and were very respectful about coming in with wet shoes. Kevin was very courteous and explained everything after he had finished the installation.

Description of Work
They installed an environmental air treatment system on our furnace. The week before they came and did a routine inspection on our furnace.

12/08/2008

Michael V.

We were impressed with the sales person that this company sent. If he did not know the answer, he found it out. They evaluated our space and gave us an estimate. The entire job took only one day and they cleaned up after themselves. We not only were after a good price, we wanted service as well. We feel that we got the service that we were looking for. I can't say enough good things about this company. We feel we got what we paid for.

Description of Work
We had them replace the furnace and the central air conditioning unit.

03/14/2007

TOM D.

Wonderful to deal with as a company. Tom, the Sales manager, was straight forward and everything he said went into the contract. The installers, Brad and Brandon, worked until 6:30 pm after an all day installations. They worked hard to make sure I understood everything's operation. They also worked happily to insure that all was operating as it has been promised to peak efficiency.

Description of Work
Removed old furnace and A/C. Installed new Bryant 93% efficiency furnace and Bryant 12 Seer, Puron 2&1/2 ton a/c. Warranty by manufacturer, limited lifetime on furnace heat exchanges, 10 year parts and labor on entire system.

Safeway Chimney Sweeps Inc

Safeway Chimney Sweeps & Duct Cleaning has been a family owned and operated business serving the greater Chicago land area since 1984. We are fully insured and C.S.I.A. certified. Safeway Chimney Sweeps & Duct Cleaning is a full service company providing both cleaning and repairs. A 22 point safety inspection is provided with each chimney cleaning to ensure a thorough clean and adherence to the strict standards we set for our work. Also, our certified technicians are equipped to service all of your heating and air conditioning needs whether it be repair or replacement. Owner Dan Florian and his crew have been certified to perform each of the services they offer by the various industry departments. We have 12 employees. We are fully insured and certified. We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and personal checks. BBB A+++ rating. Repair work and free estimates.

A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc.

A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc. is a family owned and operated company that has been in business since 1989. We pride our selves on great service at a fair price. At A-1 all of our technicians are certified with the Chimney Safety Institute of America, and we are fully bonded and insured. We are accredited members of the Better Business Bureau, members of the National Chimney Sweep Guild, we hold the best of Lombard award for 2012, 2013&2014 and the best of Glen Ellyn award for 2012 .

Offers by A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc. on Angi
    Mr Duct Chicagoland

Mr. Duct is a professional heating & cooling and air duct cleaning service provider specializing in both Commercial & Residential. We are Chicagoland's air quality cleaner choice, specializing in residential, commercial, and industrial ventilation cleanings and furnace & air conditioner cleaning, repair, and installations. We provide NADCA-certified air duct cleaning and dryer vent cleaning services, also making us Illinois' premier choice for total ventilation care. We even offer expert furnace & air conditioner maintenance checks as well as expert HVAC repair service, so you can count on us for your heating and cooling needs.

Offers by Mr Duct Chicagoland on Angi

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Check, Financing

Repair or replacement services on Furnaces, Air Condtioners, Boilers, Humidifiers,