We accept remote payment

Asrow Building Consultants, Inc.

Founded 2005 • With Angi since March 2013

8820 Skokie Blvd Suite 119

Skokie, IL 60077

FAMILY OWNED & OPERATED With more than forty years of experience, Asrow Building Consultants, a family-owned business, offers independent building consulting services with a holistic approach to problem solving and realizing your project goals. QUALITY CONSULTING SERVICES The multi-faceted

05/14/2020

Jonathan F.

Everything went great! Bret was professional, showed up on time (and respecting all the COVID requirements), and laid out a clear picture for the Board. I'd hire him again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
Inspection for Condo Board to Track Down Leaks

Category home inspection

08/19/2018

T. William C.

Bret was thorough and his explanation of what was needed was very clear and easy to understand.

Description of Work
An inspection of my home's foundation and recommendations for other work needed prior to a major remodelling project.

Category home inspection

07/06/2018

BRYAN P.

I called Bret Asrow to give me his educated opinion on the reason for a sagging floor in my dining room and whether or not this is something for active concern or something that is stable and should just be monitored for now. He came out, inspected the support columns in the basement, looked at how the joists were being supported and made recommendations for monitoring the situation and for ways to improve the stability of the support. He also noticed some issues with the gas piping in the basement and suggested some approaches to lessening dampness in the basement. Overall, I'm satisfied. One thing to note is that, rather than him writing down recommendations for me, I had to take the initiative to take notes myself and then email them to him to see if I got his recommendations right. He did respond same-day to the email and correct my misunderstandings, so it worked out fine and now I'm pretty sure I know what's what. I would hire him again.

Description of Work
I have a sagging floor in my basement. I wanted to have someone more knowledgable than me to come look and determine the underlying reason.

06/26/2018

Ian K.

Bret and Asrow were exactly what we needed. We're first time home buyers, and bought an older (1920's) home that needed some work. Over the course of getting contractors and inspection, we kept hearing different things about the masonry and foundation. Some said it was totally fine, other said it would cost 50k to fix and had to be done immediately. Most had a reason to say one or another (masons who wanted to start tuckpointing, contractors and foundation experts who wanted the work), and so we couldn't tell who to trust. Because we were unsure, we didn't want to hire an engineer who would charge us $1000 for a report, we just needed an unbiased, expert opinion. Enter Bret Asrow. Bret was the perfect solution for us. He came to our house and spent time with us looking at the foundation, the windows and everything else and helped us come up with a plan and to prioritize the work. His prices were reasonable and fit our budget. Also, he is full of interesting historical information about Chicago development and buildings, so we learned a lot about the area and the homes history. We ended up deciding we didn't have a foundation issue and he consulted with our mason to help make sure the job they did was done right. Really happy we went with Asrow building. Can't recommend highly enough.

Description of Work
Consulting on Foundation - Old Home

Category home inspection, masonry, structural engineer

10/27/2017

Meilou C.

Bret was very thorough. He looked at our house in its entirety. He was patient with all of our questions and concerns. He took the time to educate us about various things related to the structure of the house. He made excellent recommendations. We had another company come out prior to give us an estimate on repairs and by his assessments, we realized that the company was trying to pull a fast one. Would hire again.

Description of Work
We have several issues that we needed looked at. We have a leak in the basement and found a long horizontal crack and a vertical crack in our basement walls. We wanted a structural engineer to come out and assess the situation and make recommendations.

Category home inspection, basement waterproofing, structural engineer

10/10/2017

Jesh S.

Bret provided a thorough appraisal of the foundation, along with an analysis of other building infrastructure to holistically understand how we should proceed with the work. He also provided an interface into several contractors and consulted as we reviewed bids for the work.

Description of Work
We hired Bret to better understand structural issues our old Chicago bungalow was facing re: foundation and brickwork.

Category home inspection, structural engineer

08/12/2017

Ross P.

Great! Bret is very professional and extremely knowledgable about all things construction oriented. He looked at all aspects of our building and then opened up our ceiling to provide consultation on our roof structure. He followed up with a very thorough report upon completion. We would definitely hire Bret again to consult on an major construction project.

Description of Work
structural consultation

07/24/2017

Brad O.

Bret gave us very reasonably price advice. He was honest, kind, and extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend his services.

Description of Work
We have seepage in our basement.

Category basement waterproofing, architect

[Member Name Removed], Please call me ASAP Thx

05/26/2017

Rachel C.

I received the information I needed, very professional

Description of Work
Garage Inspection

04/20/2017

GERALD O.

Bret was professional, knowledgeable and responsive.

Description of Work
We initially hired Asrow Building Consultants to inspect, evaluate and make recommendations regarding the condition of a multiunit townhouse building. Following a thorough inspection of the roof, Bret issued a detailed written report that identified various defects and contained several specific recommendations. Following this first phase we hired Bret to prepare specifications and bid documents for replacement if the roof. Bret evaluated roofing contractor proposals, negotiated changes and, following owners’ selection of a contractor, prepared contract documents. Bret also reviewed and advised the owners regarding installation of the new roof.

Category structural engineer, architect

04/20/2017

David G.

It was a good process and result.

Description of Work
Inspection of fire separation at a mixed use building.

04/14/2017

Amy K.

I messaged to hopefully set up a time to get an estimate - received a very quick response. I ended up not needing their help after all, but was pleasantly surprised by their responsiveness.

Description of Work
Wanted someone to look at sloping walls in basement.

04/01/2017

Chris S.

Very knowledgable and thorough. Allocated significant time to help me understand a couple items at my home. Provided an assessment that allowed for me to avoid unnecessary and costly repairs.

Description of Work
Needed professional opinions related to multiple items at my residential property.

Category structural engineer, architect

[Member Name Removed], Thank you for your review. Let me know if we can be of further service to you. Bret Asrow President ABCI

02/05/2017

nicholas K.

I used Bret as a consultant on a project to install steel posts and beams in my home. He inspected the house and found that the beams were not really necessary, saving me money.

Description of Work
Steel post and beam installation to correct sloping floors.

Category concrete repair, structural engineer

[Member Name Removed], Thanks for your review. If you have any questions regarding the recommendations in our report, do not hesitate to contact us. We'd also like to hear if there any significant changes after any future checks. Bret Asrow President ABCI

01/12/2017

Thomas P.

I submitted their report to the insurance company and within two weeks we had a check from them that more than covered the cost of the corrective work and the consultant's fees, including their follow-on construction phase services. I can highly recommend them and will use them on all our future projects.

Description of Work
They conducted a comprehensive property condition review and documented relevant conditions, analyzed the defective conditions they observed and prepared a very detailed report that covered issues we had not even been aware of.

12/07/2016

Thomas B.

ABCI’s services meshed well with our team in completing our contract well under budget and ahead of schedule allowing us to claim a performance bonus. We plan to retain ABCI on similar projects, particularly those of high complexity. I recommende ABCI to other several owners and non-competing contractors and the feedback has been excellent. With ABCI nothing was left to chance and all options presented to us had merit resulting in a rapid completion and profits greater than we had anticipated.

Description of Work
We engaged ABCI to organize a very complicated restoration project for a time sensitive client with a thought schedule. They completed a thorough site review, documented pertinent existing property conditions, discovered the causes of the problems, prepared a summary report and met with me to finalize the highly detailed scope of construction documents. Asrow then quickly prepared a comprehensive set of Contract documents, provided detailed RFP's, conducted on site pre-bid meetings and summarized and reviewed the resulting proposals with us. These services assisted us in performing our contract in the a thoroughly expeditious and cost-effective manner possible. Based on that performance we opted to re-engage ACSI to assist in the construction phase during which their thoroughness proved highly cost effective for us and positively impacted our bottom line.

Category concrete repair, masonry, basement waterproofing, structural engineer, architect, asbestos removal, lead paint removal

AAA-1 Masonry & Tuckpointing Inc

Specialists in masonry restoration and building preservation since 1954. Licensed masons. Thousands of references. Fully Insured. Free written quotation for work in writing. Extensive knowledge of all aspects of masonry restoration work: mortar repair; parapet wall rebuilding; lintel replacement; chimneys; cleaning, caulking and sealing; and terra cotta/GFRC work. We are just as comfortable fixing your landmarked 100-year-old home as we are grinding, tuckpointing and sealing your 50-unit condominium building. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No extra charge for after-hours service. 65 years of continuous service. Preferred mason contractor of architects and structural engineers. Very informative website found at www.AAA1Masonry.com. Send all inquiries to Info@AAA1Masonry or Robert@AAA1Masonry.com

Offers Coupon

Bald Eagle Masonry

For over a decade, Bald Eagle Construction has been widely known as the go-to expert for a wide variety of construction projects in Chicago and the Chicagoland area. We’re also proud to be the leader in handling City of Chicago building code violations. From taking care of fixing the issues straight through to dealing with the paperwork. For you that means you not only get the job done to our exacting specifications – you’ll also be assured that any project we start will comply fully with all Chicago Building Department regulations. 11 employees. Uses subs for specialty work. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. Ask about Angie's list discount. Award winning.

2022 Super Service Award

Olsen Tuckpointing Co

Masonry specialists servicing the Chicago area suburbs for over 55 years. 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. Family owned - 19 employees - no subcontractors - all experienced tuckpointers & union journeymen. Cost is determined by the job. Free estimates, no travel charges. Fully licensed, bonded and insured. A+ Rating from Better Business Bureau. Super Service Award (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020) from Angie's List.

2022 Super Service Award

Check, PayPal

PLEASE SEE ABOVE FOR WHAT WE DO OFFER

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Asrow Building Consultants, Inc.

How is Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. overall rated?

Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. is currently rated 5 overall out of 5.

What days are Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. open?

Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. is open:

Sunday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

What payment options does Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. provide

Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. accepts the following forms of payment: Check, PayPal

Does Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offer free estimates?

No, Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. does not offer free project estimates.

Does Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offer eco-friendly accreditations?

Yes, Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offers eco-friendly accreditations.

Does Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offer a senior discount?

Yes, Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offers a 10% senior discount.

Does Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offer emergency services?

Yes, Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offers emergency services.

Are warranties offered by Asrow Building Consultants, Inc.?

No, Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. does not offer warranties.

What services does Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offer?

Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. offers the following services: OUR ARCHITECTURAL ENGINEERING CONSULTING SERVICES INCLUDE Exterior Wall Repair & Restoration, Roofing & Waterproofing, Condition Assessment, Planning & Studies, Concrete Repair & Restoration, Foundation, Construction, Historic & Landmark, Protective Coatings and Fireproofing

Are there any services Asrow Building Consultants, Inc. does not offer?

PLEASE SEE ABOVE FOR WHAT WE DO OFFER