Angel Handy Services Co

Founded 2006 • With Angi since August 2008

2424 Barrington Pl

Rockford, IL 61107

Owner operated. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No service fees. May contact through phone. www.angelhandyman.com

07/09/2020

Linda A.

Had an open circuit that took out half the lights in the basement.

Description of Work
Brian arrived promptly. He asked good questions about the problem and listened attentively while I explained what I had discovered to that point. After a few minutes of troubleshooting he asked a couple more questions which lead us outside. He found a ground fault that didn’t appear to be tripped but actually was. Once reset the basement lights came on.

Category electrician

03/06/2020

angie L.

Brian was very professional. Communication was timely. His job before me went long and he made sure I was aware of the delay. Very reasonable cost and he followed up later in the night to make sure everything was fine. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Install dishwasher

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing

09/25/2019

Amadeo G.

Consummate professional, punctual and communicative. Appreciated the candor when assessing the work needed, as well as periodic checks for feedback or guidance on how to proceed. Very fairly priced. Even did followup work at no extra, when he could easily have skipped it. Excellent work.

Description of Work
Assorted condo fixes, esp. redoing bad trim and transition work

09/22/2017

Doug S.

It took some time to get it right, but overall a very good job. I will hire again.

Description of Work
Installed bathroom fan.

09/18/2017

barbara P.

He sprayed painted them, they are wrought iron. We have a little dog and he didn’t want to do it where the little dog could be licking them and so forth. I think he did a lovely job, they look great. I didn’t have to do it, so there forth the price was good.

Description of Work
He painted my patio furniture for me and returned them in 10 days.

Category furniture repair, house painters

09/18/2017

barbara P.

His name is Brian Dougherty. He’s good. He does all kinds of stuff. He is a handyman, he does whatever I want him to do. I haven’t gotten the bill. He charges about $187 to do the gutters and the windows. I wouldn’t be hiring him unless I rated him an “A”. I think his price is reasonably. I don’t have anything to compare the price to. I think he does a very good job. He is very responsive. It’s just him that comes out.

Description of Work
He did my gutters and windows and he took home my patio furniture to paint.

Category gutter cleaning, window cleaning

12/31/2016

Gene F.

I called Brian about a vent that 2 previous contractors could not do. Brian came the next day a resolved the problem. This is met first time using him. He is very professional and affordable. I will use him again

Description of Work
Dryer Vent Cleaning

12/26/2016

Sandra G.

It went great. He is punctual, professional definitely will be hiring Brian again.

Description of Work
Gutter cleaning. Review of other projects upcoming, Getting a price estimate.

Category gutter cleaning, handyman service

01/21/2016

James M.

This was not our first experience with Angel Handy. Brian helped us with a number of projects when we moved in a few months ago. We are repeat customers because his professionalism, friendliness, and thoroughness are over the top. Brian works carefully and double checks to see that things are done right. He even made a follow-up call to make sure everything was working correctly. This last visit we had Brian install a kitchen faucet. The work went quickly and the new faucet works perfectly. Installing a ceiling light fixture in the guest room was a snap. And hanging a large mirror over the mantle was only held up for a few minutes while Brian made sure his mounting hardware would hold the mirror safely. Safety is a priority for Angel Handy. The last project, installing a ceiling fan/light fixture, was more of a challenge. First, the current ceiling electric box was not suitable for the fan. Brian returned with the correct box and bracket assembly. It was a tight squeeze in the attic, but the box was installed and ready for the fan. We opened the box only to find there were missing pieces (thank you Home Depot). We exchanged the fan and Brian came back to finish the job. This time everything was in the box and the install went smoothly. Even though it was not his fault, Brian refused to charge for having to make the extra trip. Before he left the fan was running without the slightest wobble.....Nice. We will definitely call Angel Handy for our next project, and highly recommend Brian for any home projects.

Description of Work
1) Installed kitchen faucet 2) Hung 50-lb mirror 3) Installed ceiling light fixture 4) Installed ceiling fan/light fixture

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

08/10/2015

Deborah J.

I contacted the provider, who said he was quite busy and looking at work 3 weeks out. I said that was fine, as I had a list of projects that needed completion. He asked what types of projects and I provided a list of several items including: Fix Siding Repair sliding doors Seal basement and garage cracks Fix Under Kitchen Sink Seal deck Build custom cabinet for kitchen? He said he would contact me the next day. He never called back.

Description of Work
Nothing as he never called me back

Category handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, doors

07/10/2015

Teresa C W.

Good, sturdy handrails. Stained well except inside of one spindle. Would have preferred a written quote.

Description of Work
Repaired screens, build wooden handrails on front and back porch.

Category handyman service, woodworking

05/19/2015

Michael F.

My out of town elderly parents were putting their home an the market in Rockford, and I needed to find a trusted reliable handyman to help them with odds and ends of getting a house ready to sell. Brian was an absolute dream to work with! Repsctful, responsive, courteous to both myself and my parents -- He was so thoughtful of the work they needed. He ran the errands to Home depot to get supplies or ordered them where needed. He was kind, compassionate, knowledgeable and efficient. Mom and Dad were so impressed they have called him several times sine to assist with small jobs around the house. I most strongly recommend Brian Angel!!! He is a lost breed and an absolute gem!

Description of Work
a days worth of handyman services -- he did anything!

11/17/2014

Ruth L.

The work was done well and at the time we had scheduled. He's a good handyman.

Description of Work
Angel helped us fix a cabinet drawer and install a new countertop. This was a pretty complicated situation (the drawer) and he solved the problem and got the work done. He is very responsive, and although he frequently arrives a little later than planned, he does always call and keep you informed. He's thorough and easy to work with. We've had him do electrical work, gutter cleaning and a variety of other things and we are quite satisfied. He has avbilities in many areas.

Category electrician, gutter cleaning, handyman service, woodworking

06/27/2014

barbara P.

It varies a little depending on how long it takes to clean the gutters. He's very reliable. I got him on the Angie's List. He was very prompt and did a very good job so I hired him ever since.

Description of Work
He does my gutters and windows.

Category gutter cleaning, window cleaning

05/15/2014

Darrin P.

Angel Handy Services Co did a nice job with my estimate. He seemed to be a nice person, but I went with another company that had a little less expensive price. They came out really quick. I would get another quote from them.

Description of Work
They gave me an estimate to get a service door installed in my garage.

Category doors

05/05/2014

Ron J.

The experience was very good. I told him a couple of times to stop working and rest, and he did, and I gave him some lemonade. He was a very nice guy. I think he found a job, and so he didn't have to continue working as a handy man.

Description of Work
I used Angel Handy Services Co. We had mulch brought in, and we needed somebody to move it around, and so he worked for 4 hours doing that.

Category landscaping, lawn service

04/25/2014

James C.

I work around his schedule, basically, because I'm retired. He's a pretty decent kid. He does a good job, especially on the mowing. On the other stuff, he's a little higher priced than what I would like. On a couple of small paint jobs, such as painting around the front door, I thought he was pretty high. I didn't hire him for that.

Description of Work
I use Angel Handy Services. He's been doing my yard for the past four years. He also does plumbing and stuff around my house. The price of $47.50 was basically for the lawn mowing and trimming.

Category handyman service, lawn service

03/24/2014

Beth H.

Brian was very professional and did very high quality work. He brainstormed with me on what could be done to fix the grout tile problem we had in our kitchen, gave me several options for what type of door handle we could install and brought out samples of materials we could use for the projects. He worked carefully and efficiently. The fees for his work were very fair. Brian was very conscientious of my wishes, time and specific needs. We will definitely call him again when we need more help! :)

Description of Work
Brian Dougherty did great work caulking behind our kitchen backsplash (he found a caulk color that matched the granite perfectly), removing our broken door handle that goes out to the garage, finding a new nice door handle with lock that matches our decor & then installing the handle, installing a needed blank wall plate, grinding out old tile grout on the edges of our kitchen floor & then regrouting with a great colored grout Brian was able to find, & installing a new in-counter kitchen soap dispenser.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service

02/19/2014

Teresa C W.

He recommended some repairs I chose not to make. My only complaint was that I was not given a written quote--just over the phone. It makes it harder for me to document the repairs. The work was done well.

Description of Work
He replaced my front and back railings with wooden ones and cleaned my gutters.

Category remodeling, roof cleaning

12/02/2013

Sara D.

If you need a handyman, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere. Brian was completely unprofessional: he failed to clean up after himself, failed to complete work in a timely fashion, needed multiple visits for basic measurements, failed to appear twice for scheduled appointments and was unapologetic for his no shows and the unreasonable amount of time it took him to complete the job. I hired him to complete a list of small repairs. He was able to accomplish all items but one on the list within about a week after hiring him. I hired him in early May and specifically stated that I wanted screens put in five windows for the summer. He finally delivered the screens five months later on September 26, 2013. He left them propped on my front porch and my husband ended up installing them. When I pointed out to Brian that five months is an unreasonable amount of time to wait for screens, especially when the whole point was to have them for summer, he responded that we never discussed a time frame for completing the job. In fact, at the time I hired him, he told me that the work should take no more than two days- of course, he failed to mention that those two days would be spread out over a five month period. He also claimed that it only took him two hours of labor to complete the screens but offered no explanation for why it took him five months to deliver them. I told him that I would be wiling to give him a second chance if he gave me a significant credit in light of the five month wait including spending the whole summer without screens. He claimed I was being "greedy" because he actually did me a favor by making screens which would have cost me 20% more if I had purchased screens from a store (it was clear that he did not care that I did not have screens for the summer, that I had to make multiple trips home to let him in because he couldn't measure the windows accurately the first or second time all of which cost me more in my own billable time than his "20% savings"). His courtesy for customers is limited to repeating "thank you for the opportunity to work on your home" ad nauseam. It is clear that Brian believes only his own time to be of value. He has no regard nor respect for the time of his customers. I should have cancelled the contract on the first day I hired him, when, after learning I am a lawyer, he asked me how he could sue a past customer for failure to pay (I would not be surprised if the non-payment was due to underperformance and overcharging by Brian). I gave him the benefit of the doubt instead- which turned out to be a mistake. I had to leave my office on multiple occasions to let Brian into the house to measure and re-measure and re-measure again the windows for the screens. Twice, he was a no show which was very frustrating as I am very busy and I also charge by the hour. After installing the attic ladder, he left piles of wood shavings in my hallway and on my front porch. When I came home from work, the first thing I had to do was vacuum which made me very unhappy- if he is going to charge $400 per day, he can darn well clean up after himself. I called him and told him I didn't appreciate having to clean up after him and he did not apologize for the inconvenience on that day or any other. He seems to believe that if he makes a good repair then overall professionalism including timeliness, dependability and good manners are unnecessary. I wondered if my experience was an aberration but see other reviews with similar complaints. I do not think he will maintain an A rating if he continues with this kind of hit/miss record. If you are willing to pay for excellent service- don't take a risk on this guy- definitely not worth the hassle.

Description of Work
Cleared a clogged shower drain, repaired a broken couch foot, installed new drop down ladder in attic, attempted to repair broken medicine cabinet door and made screens for five windows.

Category handyman service, replacement windows, woodworking, drain cleaning

Angie’s list only allows for one written response to customer reviews. I made the decision to wait until all business matters were finished before replying to Mrs. [Removed Member Name] review. I truly make every attempt to satisfy every customer and take pride in the work and value that I provide to my customers. Unfortunately after many attempts to reach a reasonable compromise, I had to take Mrs. [Member Name Removed] to court and sue her for breach of contract. This was not an easy decision for many reasons including that Mrs. [Member Name Removed] herself is an attorney. After receiving helpful advice from colleagues and other business people I knew I had to sue her on principle and send a message that bully attorneys are not above the law. After two years of Mrs. [Removed Member Name] stall tactics, legal maneuvering, and deliberate delays- I finally won a judgment against her and got paid for my services. I think mentioning that winning a judgment against an attorney who also utilized two other attorneys during her defense speaks volumes to how clear my case had been. I think it also speaks to the bully character of Mrs. [Member Name Removed] since this was a relatively small financial amount sought to be recovered. In preparation for the suit, I used a respected internet site to demonstrate that the services provided were $400 less than the average cost for the services in the Rockford Illinois area. Addressing directly Mrs. [Removed Member Name] written comments it really does read like an attorney making an argument. She is correct in stating that most tasks were completed in a timely manner. Nine of ten projects were completed within two weeks. The last project to be completed was making custom window screens. Unfortunately during the timeline of making the screens I had accidently ruined my phone and during the replacement process, Verizon wasn’t able to recapture my contact list. I was unable to contact Ms. [Member Name Removed] by phone after the screens were built and ready to be installed. Mrs. [Member Name Removed] had a highly restrictive timeline in which she would allow me to do work at her house. She only allowed me in if I showed up before 7:30, between 1:00-2:00 when she dropped off her son, or after 6:30 when she returned home from work. I wasn’t going to make the trip out to her house unless I knew I could get in to install the screens. Although she could have called me at any time to check on the progress of her screens and arrange an install time, she never did. As an offer of compromise assuming all responsibility for making phone contact I was willing to give her the screens at no-cost labor. This was unacceptable to her and she kept trying to get all 10 projects done for free- literally. I believe her intention for not calling me was evident from the beginning. As a policy, I don’t bill out until all projects are completed. In her mind, nine of ten projects completed without paying for them would be better than all ten projects completed and having to paying for them. She mentioned that there were day(s) I was a “no show”. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. There was NEVER a day a missed a date. Ironacally, the last day I worked at her house SHE was a no show. I was cleaning up and asked her to use the household vacuum to clean up a relatively small amount of saw dust type debris. Most if not all customers do prefer I use their vacuum rather than my shop vac because my shop vacuum has been used for everything and everywhere. I texted her and she said she would be home at 1:00 (as usual) to get out her vacuum for me. I waited as long as I could until past 2:00. I texted her again to find out where she was. She texted back stating she couldn’t get away and wouldn’t be home until after work. She ended her text saying “I guess I will just have to do it.” She mentioned that she was put off because I was trying to get free legal advice from her. I literally only asked her two questions since I was considering suing a “slum lord” for non-payment of a shower stall. My two questions to her were “where do I go to file a small claim?” and “Is it true that I can’t recover court costs?” I really don’t think these were arduous questions. I think it is a stretch to even call it legal advice. I was just hoping she could help me with a couple of easy questions. In retrospect, I could have called the court house and got the answers. Ironically I didn’t end up suing the slum lord. The first and only person I have sued in my 10 years of business is attorney Mrs. [Member Name Removed]. Finally, one last thing worth mentioning about Mrs. [Removed Member Name] character. After winning the judgment against her and after leaving the courtroom, she snidely made a comment referring to my father. She must have done some research on my last name in an attempt to try to dig stuff up. The reason why she made the comment is that my father passed away just a few months earlier. To all who took the time to read my response I thank you and hope it helps in supplementing the customer’s original review.

11/08/2013

Jeremy P.

Always promptly returned calls when we were discussing what needed to be done, and when to do it. Work was completed promptly, and quality was excellent. Picture of work done under sink is included in review.

Description of Work
1. Replaced water damaged wood underneath sink, and cleaned up underneath. In addition to replacing the wood, he applied vinyl tile on top of it to prevent possible future water damage from a leaking faucet. Picture of finished work included in review. He supplied all the materials. 2. Painted 6' x 8.5' bathroom. We supplied the materials.

Category handyman service, interior painters

09/28/2013

MaryLou F.

It went well. Brian came on a Sunday, took out the window and boarded up the space. The replacement took a little longer than he had expected because the supplier had shipped the wrong size. Brian called us to tell us it would take longer, but that was no problem for us as the window was in the bathroom and not noticible from the outside. The new window was put in late afternoon on a Thursday, 2-3 weeks later.

Description of Work
Replaced window glass that had the seal broken and was foggy.

Category handyman service, replacement windows

09/21/2013

Elizabeth F.

It went great! Recently moved into a new house and as my husband is not very handy I went to Angie's List and found Brian. Called him and told him what I needed done and in a few days he came over and checked everything out and made notes as to what equipment he would need in order to complete the job. Had a big list of things for him to do and he completed all of them in one day. Brian take pride in his work and it shows. He was always careful before he did anyting to re-check with me to make sure he was doing it right. He was very polite and serious about doing a good job no matter what he was completing from my list. We will have him back in the future for any other repairs we may need. Thank you Brian!

Description of Work
Hung several pictures (some very heavy) - hung several towel racks - hung an art piece - drilled two holes for electrical wiring - fixed from door screen - cleaned out dryer vent from the outside of house - and replaced a light bulb in the front porch

08/28/2013

Pat F.

He was prompt and courteous. A little high on the price. The price was "OK", considering that he needed to go to get parts.

Description of Work
Replaced a washer in the shower faucet

07/24/2013

William M.

It was great. They are very good. They are accurate on estimates and he's timely and he gets it done and complete it, cleans up and he used good materials.

Description of Work
Angel Handy Services Co. did some work on our house, it was for my parents. They installed some new trim around windows, added some steps to the deck, installed a new front door, added a handicapped ramp on my parent's house. The total for everything was about $2,000.

Category woodworking, doors