Sklena Electric Inc.

Founded 1946 • With Angi since November 2002

25 3rd St

Park Ridge, IL 60068

Additional contact name - Betsy Sklena.

03/30/2022

Faith R.

Tom did an excellent job putting in heating cables in our gutters to prevents us from getting an ice dams this winter. He was very responsive to any of my questions and promptly calls me back.

Description of Work
put in heating cable in gutters

03/27/2022

Cheryl P.

They pulled in new wires and installed GFCI protection along with a receptacle for a garage door opener. They had to dig a trench from the house to the garage. They were very neat and when they left, the backyard looked perfect. They have done work for me before. They are always very neat, they clean-up as they go, and they are very dependable. They are very easy to contact by text and they do exactly what we ask them to do.

Description of Work
The Sklena's trenched and installed a conduit to the garage.

07/26/2017

Anita B.

I have an old house and they are really good with old house wiring.

Description of Work
I used them for electrical work.

06/27/2017

GLENNA P.

He is wonderful. He is honest, prompt, professional, good price. He is another person that we have used for many years. Sometimes he comes out and sometimes someone else comes out. He left the area clean. He's responsive, you call him, he calls you back, he comes; he's professional, he does a good job, doesn't overcharge. He's not messy. He comes in and he takes those protective things and puts them over his shoes. He's honest with you as far as if you're not really sure if you want anything done or not. He's just a pleasure to work with. My first impression of him was good, positive. If I didn't have a good impression of him, we wouldn't use him again.

Description of Work
We had various electrical things that needed to be taken care of in the house.

01/14/2016

MARCIA K.

What is amazing and was so gratifying at the time is that Tom Sklena and his brother/partner came out the very same day I called them for assistance. I had a few days prior received my special order exterior fixtures and 'though the weather was becoming inhospitable, I so wanted to get them up. I had learned of Sklena Electric of Park Ridge through Dawn of Littman Brothers Lighting (the one in Morton Grove), where I had purchased the fixtures, and I called Sklena Electric with confidence because of that. Tom could not have been more responsive, capable and professional! We noodled a bit at first on the height to place them and he understood the major considerations, given the items' design, very well. I went with his thoughts on that ('though normally I have plenty of my own!!) and have never looked back. He was right and they are perfectly situated and majestic! Tom and his brother worked quickly and expertly. I'll definitely use them again because I have so much confidence in their knowledge and work ethic.

Description of Work
Installed two large exterior light fixtures on a really cold day in November!

02/25/2014

MICHAEL S.

Very friendly and easy to work with.

Description of Work
Pulled and replaced a lot of old wiring that we thought had been updated shortly after we moved in.

11/19/2013

Gareth K.

Tom was professional lying out the costs ahead of time and provided great service at a reasonable cost.

Description of Work
GFI kept tripping in bathroom outlet and wires melting behind. Tom fixed it by splicing the circuit.

08/31/2013

Peter S.

Tom and his partner Derek were great! I was about to poke out my eyes with frustration from calling a few other electricians who either never called back, said they would call me back to schedule the work and never did or took 4-5 days to even provide an estimate, much less provide the work. Derek came one day to do the circuit (was squeezed in and didn't have time to do everything in one day due to prior appointments, which I understood completely and was explained ahead of time) and then Tom and Derek came back a couple days later to complete the rest of the work. They explain everything and give you an estimate of costs, time required and materials before starting. They do this on the spot and don't need 4-5 days to call or email it to you. My best electrician experience by far! Have already recommended them to 2 other people. Plan on calling them back in a few weeks to install a few more fans and move one more light switch. Very competent, professional, polite, and thorough.

Description of Work
Installed new circuit and outlet for treadmill. Installed light switch in unfinished area of basement and placed second outlet on wall. Also installed ceiling fan.

08/26/2013

ann O.

Tom Sklena was wonderful! He is very knowledgeable and answered all of my questions in "lay-man's terms" so I understood everything. While he was checking on our faulty outlets and our 48 year old circuit breaker, he would have an assistant do some of the repairs, which saved us time (and money!) He honestly discussed the price of replacing some ceiling lights which we are putting off to a later time when we intend to replace the old ceiling to update it! I was very impressed with him---he has a great reputation in the Park Ridge area and he certainly lived up to my expectations. I would definitely recommend him! A+

Description of Work
We had several faulty outlets that were not working at different intervals. Tom Sklena came and tested all of them...most needed to be replaced, especially the old exterior outlets that had no covers on them.

01/23/2013

Geri J.

Very pleased with the work. We thought there might be a problem with the wiring because the kitchen light would flicker when the dimmer was on high. Tom Sklena came over and determined that the switch was defective, so no re-wiring work was necessary. He also added an outlet in the basement. We've had Tom do electrical work on the house before, and never hesitate to call him when needed. He's professional, friendly, and I like the fact that he takes the time to explain different options. Last summer, he upgraded the electrical service to the house from 60 amp to 200 amp because the circuits were overloaded. It was a big job, and we're very pleased with that work as well. Even the city inspector who came to review the upgrade said we had a good man. I like the peace of mind from knowing things are done properly, and would highly recommend Sklena.

Description of Work
Replaced a broken dimmer switch for a ceiling fan/light combination in the kitchen, and added a new outlet in the basement.

07/25/2012

Anita B.

With my old house, Tom Sklena is the only electrician I trust to efficiently deal with the surprises that can occur. Even if I had a brand-new house, I would still use Sklena Electric because my Tom listens to your needs / objectives, and then make suggestions in how to accomplish your goals in the most cost effective fashion. In this project, I had some knob and tube wiring connections in the basement that needed upgrading, along with upgrading old electrical outlets on the first floor. Also had a few miscellaneous needs like installing a new basement ceiling fixture, adding a new basement outlet to run a dehumidifier in the middle of the basement (over a drain) without having to use extension cords, and trouble-shooting why my exterior lights kept shorting out (Tom replaced a newer outlet that he suspected was the culprit -- and it was.) I am especially grateful that Tom was quickly able to trouble-shoot an issue with the old circuit he was working on -- though it did put him behind for his next appointment. NOTE: Tom is very professional about setting expectations regarding timing and scope of the project -- identifying variables ahead of time -- and faithfully keeps you informed on all aspects. NOTE ALSO: I was originally referred to Sklena Electric by several owners of old homes in my area, who, by necessity, have to be very picky about the expertise of their electricians.

Description of Work
Trouble-shoot, repair and update knob and tube wiring components, install light fixture and outlet in basement, trouble-shoot/repair existing outlet that was constantly shorting out, upgrade old non-grounded outlets.

01/04/2011

Teresa K.

very pleasant and professional experience

Description of Work
Inspect and replace fuses.

12/14/2010

Jason G.

Found Sklena on Angie's list, and it turns out that they have service my next door neighbor's house for 20 years. They came to my house right on time. We 100% professional and polite. They explained what they thought was going on with each of the 3 locations. The GFCI outlet in the garage was bad, and was replaced in a few minutes. That restored power to the garage. The second outlet was not properly ground, and that was rewired pretty quickly. The 3rd outlet was all new already, and they found out that there was a switch in the basement that controls that outlet. There was no extra charge for me being stupid about that one . . . The weather was windy and bitterly cold, but they remained super-friendly and professional. There was a small materials cost for the covers for the outside boxes, but those were needed to bring the outlets up to code. But, since they finished quickly, he lowered the labor cost to offset the additional material. Basically, he came when he said he would, did what he said he would, charged me what he said he would, explained everything thoroughly and was very pleasant to work with. Next time there is electrical work I cannot fix myself - these guys are getting a call in a second!

Description of Work
Sklena inspected why we had no external power at 3 outlets outside the house and the garage. They replaced the GFCI switch in the garage, rewired a second outlet (to apply the ground) and brought all 3 outlets up to code.

10/26/2010

MICHAEL S.

The job was fine and I like that they are local. They were nice and friendly, they seemed to do a good job, and they didn’t try to sell us something that is super expensive or anything like that. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
Sklena Electric pulled the old wire out of our house.

09/20/2010

Jeanne A.

The problem with the outdoor light was that it was controlled by an indoor switch which we knew nothing about. Sklena was able to follow the wiring that enabled us to figure it out - without charging us or doing work that was unnecessary. The extra switch to a ceiling fixture in the kitchen was added with a minimum of fuss, which also saved us money. And had I tried to install the workbench light myself, I'd still be there trying. But in short order Sklena had the work done and I once again have light over my work area.

Description of Work
Sklena fixed an overhead light, installed another switch for a kitchen light, and helped troubleshoot an outdoor light fixture.

08/07/2008

GLENNA P.

He was wonderful. He is honest, he is kind, he was good about timing and he was very responsible. He also did a wonderful job with the work.

Description of Work
He installed a lamp post in the front yard as a part of a landscaping job we were having done.

10/12/2007

R D.

We really like Sklena. They are not union so their rates are reasonable. After the big flood this year, we couldn't find anyone to come pump out our basement because there were too many of us and not many of them. I called Sklena and he came right over with his pump and took care of us and our neighbor with no extra charges added on. He was that nice.

Description of Work
They brought up our home's electrical work up to code so we could sell our home. They updated the circuit box and re-hooked up our sub-pump electricity so it would work.

Category electrician, wells

12/05/2006

ROBERTA C.

Excellent service! Tom Sklena and another employee came promptly at the time of the appointment. They worked efficiently through our list of minor repairs. We were very satisfied and delighted to have found a competent and reliable electrician. Strongly recommend their services.

Description of Work
Installed new closet fixture, replaced bad switch in storeroom, reworked our dining room ceiling light fixtures that had never really been properly installed, replaced outdoor socket in freezing weather and assessed the need to rewire the lights in dining room (not necessary).

06/13/2006

SNEHAL B.

They were responsive, and it was a good value.

Description of Work
They inspected our electrical panel.

05/06/2006

DALE W.

Jim Sklena came out and helped us decide on where and how many lights we should install. His son, Tom, installed everything about a week later. I was at work and my wife was home and said things could not have gone much better. Tom was very friendly and was open to changes my wife wanted to make with positioning of some of the lighting. They did a great job. We will use Sklena Electric for all are future electrical needs.

Description of Work
Installed 6 recessed lights, ceiling fan, and track lighting. Also relocated a fixture in our dining room and added a new outlet for the ceiling fan. Installed 3 dimmer switches.

05/06/2001

GREAT

Description of Work
INSTALLED FANS AND LIGHT FIXTURES

PREMIER LIGHTING, INC

We are a comprehensive lighting company, specializing in the design, installation, repair and maintenance of residential outdoor lighting systems. We also do indoor lighting servicing, repairs and additions. We take great pride in servicing all of our customers with the care, respect, and attention to detail that we expect ourselves as consumers.

Offers Coupon

American National Sprinkler & Lighting

American National Sprinkler and Lighting is a family owned business heading into its 33rd year with more than 9000 satisfied clients. We can design, install and service a sprinkler or lighting system to meet your lawn and landscape dreams as well as your budget. Our motto "Install one time...Satisfaction for a lifetime" was created because we are driven to customer satisfaction!

Offers Coupon

ACCURATE SAFETY SOLUTIONS - ACCURATE RADON

Accurate Safety Solutions-Accurate Radon (established in 1994) is passionate about keeping our clients families safe by keeping the radon exposure over the short and long term as low as possible. We achieve the lowest documented post mitigation radon levels in the industry (with 82% of our clients homes measuring at 1.0 pCil or less). We guarantee 100% satisfaction, help retest the property to ensure the system works properly, and then monitor it to ensure it continues to work at 100% capacity. We want you to know your family is as safe as possible! Licensed, Bonded, Insured, Eco-friendly and Offering Free Estimates.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express
    10.00

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Sklena Electric Inc.

How is Sklena Electric Inc. overall rated?

Sklena Electric Inc. is currently rated 5 overall out of 5.

What days are Sklena Electric Inc. open?

Sklena Electric Inc. is open:

What payment options does Sklena Electric Inc. provide

Sklena Electric Inc. accepts the following forms of payment: Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express

Does Sklena Electric Inc. offer free estimates?

Ask Sklena Electric Inc. for details on free project estimates.

Does Sklena Electric Inc. offer eco-friendly accreditations?

No, Sklena Electric Inc. does not offer eco-friendly accreditations.

Does Sklena Electric Inc. offer a senior discount?

No, Sklena Electric Inc. does not offer a senior discount.

Are warranties offered by Sklena Electric Inc.?

No, Sklena Electric Inc. does not offer warranties.

What services does Sklena Electric Inc. offer?

Sklena Electric Inc. offers the following services: Residential and commercial electrical installations, repair and troubleshooting.