AR-BE Garage Doors

Founded 1947 • With Angi since May 2002

10401 S Cicero Ave

Oak Lawn, IL 60453

For over 60 years now, AR-BE Garage Doors has provided garage door repair and installation in the Chicago area. The original founder, Mr. Robert Burns started the company in 1947. Proudly, the company is still owned and operated by the same family. Today, Mr. Dave Burns continues the tradition of quality and exceptional customer service with a smile! 38 employees. Uses subs. Cost determined by the job. No travel charges. Additional fax - (708) 458-9512. Additional e-mail - info@doorinstall.com. Additional phone - (773) 767-0316. Additional DBA - Ar-Be Garage Doors & Openers....

01/19/2018

Joyce G.

The installer, Julio, was fine and seemed knowledgeable. He assessed my problem and took time to explain to my satisfaction. The office was less on top of things and did not send the installer at time agreed upon. It was during a very cold spell, so maybe they were very busy. However, overall, I did not get the impression of a very organized or accommodating office. The price was about the national average according to my research. I was not familiar with the brand they brought. I previously had a Craftsman -- a brand I know has good reputation. But then, I am not very knowledgeable about this. So far the opener works fine. Good to have the garage door working again. I would give the installer an A. He, not the office, arranged for the second visit, and he was punctual for the second visit and professional. I cannot knowledgeably grade the quality of product yet.

Description of Work
Replace door opener

11/07/2017

Christopher B.

They did great work. Very responsive to my schedule.

Description of Work
Purchased new garage door and opener.

09/21/2017

Webster V.

They got back to me really quickly. Actually, I think I called in the morning and they came at like noon. The latch for the garage had broken, so they were quick to come in.

Description of Work
He did the garage door.

08/07/2017

Wally J.

Quick service and completed satisfactorily.

Description of Work
Replace door spring

05/17/2017

Ernest F.

I called several providers listed in Angie's List at 7:15am. This provider was the only one that called back within 10 minutes. The owner stated he would be at my house between 10am - noon. He called at 10:15 and stated he was on his way. He was at my house by 10:40. Upon looking at the problem he stated it was a very easy fix and would only take 10-15 minutes. The cable had come off and he said it was because of slack in the cable and that the door came up too high. He fixed it in 15 minutes and adjusted the door so it won't come off track again. He only charged me the traveling fee which was $79. Upon telling him I was impressed with his prompted response, his explanation, and would like to write a review. He gave me a $10 discount and said he was listed in Angie's list and Yelp.

Description of Work
My garage door was off its track and would not open.

01/23/2017

James H.

I made an appointment for an estimate. The owner came out and gave me a good measurement and price and honored the discount coupon I printed from their website. I made an appointment for the work to be done 2 days later. The workman showed up on time, removed the old door and installed the new door within 90 minutes. He was friendly, professional and the clean-up of my garage was excellent.

Description of Work
After 30 years it was finally time to replace my overhead garage door for my 2 car garage. I have used AR-BE before for servicing my door and opener.

12/22/2015

LORETTA Z.

Armando the installer was Done in less than 20 min. Very good worker, knows what he,s doing and not much of a talker. But gets the Job Done! I would recommend him any time.

Description of Work
install garage door springs

06/29/2015

Valerie D.

I requested and was told I purchased insulated garage doors. I specifically requested the best insulated doors because my garage is heated and used as a workshop in the winter months. During the first winter after insulation, I noticed that the windows on my garage door would condensate and fill with water from condensation. By winter #2, the windows would leak water causing screws to rust and rust stains to run down the white door. The rust/water also drips all over my vehicles and has caused damage to the clear finish coat on the vehicles. I contacted AR-BE and they told me that the windows I have are not insulated. The manufacture makes insulated glass windows, but AR-BE installed the non-insulated glass even though we discussed that my garage would be heated all winter. They refuse to help rectify the situation and basically said it was my fault for not knowing any better. I was never offered insulated glass, I didn't know it was even an option. Now I have a door that is covered in rust stains, cars that are damaged and need to be repainted, and an insulated door without insulated glass (which makes no sense at all). I will not use AR-BE ever again.

Description of Work
I have purchased three garage doors from AR-BE totaling over $4,000. The doors were ordered and installed.

Category garage doors, doors

03/24/2015

Anthony C.

I called them and they were out here to replace the garage door opener. They were very response and came right out. He did a good job and he cleaned up after himself. I had used them years ago.

Description of Work
They replaced my garage door opener

01/23/2015

Mike M.

lAr be came out rebalanced my door lubricated and checked that all was good. He said it was. Door is fine should last a few more years before I would need to think about needing anything and did not charge me. Had another service come out who said all was bad and garage door needed complete over haul. Soi I had ARbe my original installer come out to give estimate. They did what this other service provider Precision was to do and did not charge me. So if you need anything garage door related call AR be honest and professional.

Description of Work
Balanced door lubricated and checked for anything wrong.

12/17/2014

Gilda S.

The experience went fine. The price wasn't really that much. Their professionalism, timely manner, work and everything stands out.

Description of Work
I used AR-BE Garage Doors. They put in a new garage door for me.

08/21/2014

Sylvia P.

Their services are good services. They were professional and the garage door opener was fine.

Description of Work
They gave me a remote for the door.

08/20/2014

Matt W.

The bottom panel of our garage door had rusted out and I called AR-BE because they had a sticker on the door. They told us we couldn't just replace the panel we had to replace the whole door and quoted us $1600. I called another company and they were able to replace the panel no problem for about $150.

Description of Work
Gave a quote on replacing garage door

07/11/2014

GENE & JUDY C.

I scheduled appointment. Service guy Armando, never called, never showed. I had to call again to reschedule. The same thing happened again. Called again. Athena at the main office said we would have to reschedule again.She explained she was supposed to call me, but forgot. She also stated they're short of help, and that is why he didn't show up. I asked if he could come between 1:30-3:30. Armando calls at 12:40, and states he's on his way over. I specifically told Athena I would not be home from 12:30-1:30, because I had to pick up my son. I asked Armando why he didn't show up, the past two times, and he blamed it on Athena. He also told me there are other garage door companies I could go to. He looked at the garage door coil spring and told me that is why my garage door sometimes does not respond. I had AR-BE come out in November of 2013. We were having the same problem. I had showed Javier and his associate the broken coil and asked if this is why our door was not closing all the time. He stated that as long as the coil turns, it is fine. He told me he would have to replace the garage door opener.They charged me for a new garage door opener. We continued to have a problem. Today I spent another $183.00 just to replace the coil. I called Athena, paid my bill. I told her the first crew they sent out told me my coil was fine. She went as far as to say that this coil could not have been broken in November, it would not have lasted this long. So, basically I am lying. I do not recommend this company for service.The service people they send out tell you different things, and basically you are paying them more money. They do not come when they are scheduled.I finally got an apology from Athena after I paid my bill. They were rude, and basically could care less if they get your business. Did they fix the problem this time ? We'll see. We definitely will not use them again.

Description of Work
Replaced garage door coil spring.

06/17/2014

Robert R.

AR-BE was a pleasure to deal with. I stopped in the brick and mortar store. The owner helped me choose the best door for my needs. The price was right and I purchased the door. A date was set and the installers came out, ripped out my old heavy wooden garage door and installed the new door. Everything was completed very professionally and in a timely manner. My door works great with the new garage door opener I also had them install. Would definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
Installed new overhead garage door

04/02/2014

PATTI P.

I just have to tell you that I am shocked. Beverly Garage Doors just charged me $137.00 and fixed both doors and added a strip to my main garage door which is included in that cost. The shed (wood) door only needed a spring & works like magic. Ar-Be's estimate is $1102. That's a bit shameful.

Description of Work
Estimate to fix/service a 2 1/2 car garage door that struggled to go up when it's cold outside and a shed garage door that I could barely open.

02/11/2014

Miriam E. C.

The repairman was knowledgeable and recognized the problem very quickly.The problem with my door was resolved and done efficiently.I have used the company previously.

10/13/2013

CHRIS AND ABEL G.

The garage door had been acting up for a while.On Monday, on the way to work, it would not open.It finally did open and later that day I called AR-BE since they had replaced the motor in the opener in 2006.We arranged for the worker to come the next day at my lunch hour.I left the service door open for him and by the time I came home for lunch it was done! I called in my credit card # and was back to work on time.I did ask the owner about the use of subs and he said it was due to the economy ,but that the workers were pretty much regulars who worked for him.The worker drove a new vehicle marked with the AR-BE logo on it in my case.I also asked about the negative Angie's List reports but he didn't really know about them. I am happy with the results and would call again.Both my experiences have been good.

Description of Work
Replaced springs on garage door.

09/17/2013

Dianne C.

They were very nice but o decided to go with someone who also sold service doors

Description of Work
Gave me an estimate on a garage door

09/10/2013

harold F.

Everything went very well they also gave a Angie's list discount of 10.00 dollars

Description of Work
Installed garage door opener

09/06/2013

Katherine M.

The next day, 3 technicians came to my home. They were prompt, in fact they were earlier than the time window they provided me with. When the technicians saw that I have an old aluminum garage door (which is in good shape), they told me that they had to call their boss because they usually do not install new openers on old aluminum doors. They call their boss and told me that my door was too heavy and that if they installed an opener on the door and something went wrong, the warranty for the opener would be voided. I was flabbergasted. I thanked them and sent them on their way. I called another company and the gentleman on the phone listened to my description of the problem and told me how to troubleshoot and fix it myself which I did! I suspect that AR-BE has changed either its ownership or its policies. They use subcontractors now, they arrived at my home in an unmarked white panel van; no company markings. I think this was an attempt to first steer me towards purchasing a new garage door opener when it didn't necessarily need one, and perhaps they were trying to convince me to purchase an new garage door as well. I am very disappointed because my previous contacts with company were overwhelmingly positive. I will never do business with this company again.

Description of Work
I used AR-BE Garage doors for years, in fact my dad used them before he passed away 8 years ago. I called them when my remote for my garage door opener would not lower the garage door from the outside of my garage. Before asking for a description of my problem, the woman who answered the phone asked me how old my opener was. When I told her it was approximately 10 years old (it turned out to be 12 years old), she informed me that the company does not work on openers that are over 10 years old and that I would have to purchase a new opener from them. I questioned this logic and asked the woman how could you tell me that I needed to replace the opener without hearing a description of the problem or sending someone to take a look at it. She asked me to hold and a gentleman named Dave got on the phone and told me that it is the company's policy to not service units over 10 years old and he would not want to charge me for a service call for them to come out and tell me that the unit needed replacement. He gave me an estimate of $399 to install an new garage door opener. I accepted an appointment for technicians to come out and give me a formal written estimate.

08/24/2013

James S.

Only so-so. I ordered an expensive Craftsman-style door that has the appearance of carriage doors that open on hinges, but, operates like a standard overhead garage door. It took five site visits to fix all the issues. Good thing I'm now retired and didn't have to take time off from work for these visits. There were several miscommunications, no-shows and no calls when they were late or busy on other jobs that ran overtime. First problem was that the installers, who probably don't install this type of door very often, did not get it centered in the opening of my old, large garage. It was off my two+ inches on one side, hitting the roller track on one side and so off on the other side, that the security latch would not engage. When I pointed all this out, the installers just pushed the door, manually to one side and said fixed. No, after opening closing a few times it was back out of alignment. They left and said that is all they could do and I should call the Office and have the expert installer, Armondo, come out and fix. He did come out and adjusted everything so that the door looked as centered as possible. That is important with this type of door design. Next, we noticed that the lights on the opener where coming on and off at will constantly. Took several calls and two more visits to get that fixed. I was told it was the type of light bulbs I installed. Wrong, the controller panel had to be replaced and the problem went away. Another visit to fix the wiring that was in the wrong place and could get cut easily. Another visit to install the larger, bottom gasget that filled the gap caused by the old concrete of the garage floor. On top of all this, they bad-mouthed the home Office and tried to blame me for some of the problems. Customer service was not good overall. Armondo was very pleasant, however, and knew what he was doing.

Description of Work
Install a new 2-car garage door.

08/10/2013

Theodore Z.

My existing steel garage door had fallen off the tracks while being closed with the electric opener. It got bound up and the top two panels were damaged. AR-BE sent an estimator out within a couple hours. They were available to come out the same day, but I needed to move some things out of the way, so we agreed to do the job the following day. The installers arrived at the scheduled time. They worked quickly and it was obvious the were experienced. The floor at the doorway is not level and they aligned the door properly, yet there is still a seal by weather stripping at the bottom. The previous door had side springs, the new one has a torsion spring. I'm not sure I would be comfortable adjusting that myself which gives another reason for having a professional do it. The complete removal and install took about 2 hours. The installers cleaned up after the job and took away the old door. Overall, a very pleasant experience dealing with AR-BE.

Description of Work
Replaced garage door

06/08/2013

JEAN R.

Provided an estimate for service with a stop at the house within 45 minutes of my call. Crew arrived on time next day, answered all my questions, worked with focus and quiet voices, and left the garage CLEANER than they found it! Excellent service.

Description of Work
Replaced garage door opener and keyless pad.

03/14/2013

Lawrence P.

I've used AR-BE previously to repair broken springs. Due to the door's age and a few driving mis-haps, I needed the whole door replaced this time. AR-BE's office staff/sales personnel are very knowledgeable, and there were no high pressure sales tactics. They were out for installation the next day. The work was performed in a very professional manner. Installation took a little over 2 hours and they cleaned up after themselves. The door looks and works great.

Description of Work
Garage Door replacement

SOVEREIGN WEALTH MANAGEMENT

We offer our services NATIONWIDE. Our passion is partnering with our clients to crystallize their financial goals, design a strategy to achieve those goals and execute the plan to its completion. You know it’s not enough to just make a plan, even the most well designed strategies can fail if not executed properly and then monitored for progress and suitability. This is why we consistently monitor the progress of your plan and make changes as new developments come to light with your changing goals. Whether we are helping a young family set the path to achieve their ideal lifestyle and first home; assisting a newly widowed client in navigating and structuring his/or her retirement plan and new life; or advising a professional couple on structuring the sale of their business and transitioning into retirement, we are consistently behind the scenes working to get you there and keep you there: on track. Our Core Competencies include: Financial Planning, Wealth Management, Risk Management, Estate Planning and Multi-Generational Asset Transfer Planning, Managing Executive Deferred Comp Assets. We use the latest and the most sophisticated tools to produce accurate and realistic analyses. We pride ourselves on our independence and ability to work with the leading experts in all fields of wealth management, accounting and estate planning to design a comprehensive and robust strategy to achieve our clients’ goals. Sovereign is affiliated with Spire Investment Partners. Spire Investment Partners is the Parent Company of Spire Wealth Management, LLC an SEC RIA, and Spire Securities LLC, a registered Broker/Dealer and Member of FINRA / SIPC.

Offers by SOVEREIGN WEALTH MANAGEMENT on Angi
    Upper Left Wealth Management

I focus on people in or near retirement, who want to reduce risk and taxes. UpperLeft Wealth Management is here for anyone planning for and trying to figure out if they're on pace for retirement, or are looking for investment management, advice on social security, home mortgages, taxes in retirement, or other financial questions. Our data-driven processes and strategic planning mean we help you face the curveballs life can throw at you. I am a CFP® and fiduciary, and hold an M.B.A. in finance from Columbia Business School. My reputation is built on your trust. If you're ready to look at improving your odds of success, contact me at www.upperleftwealth.com.

Ray's Overhead Doors

Family owned and operated father and son. No extra charge to come out evening and weekends Same day spring replacements We accept check or cash currently soon to accept credit/debit. Open 7 days a week emergency calls available anytime

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check

Garage Doors, Garage Openers, Electric Doors.

Garage Roofs, Commercial & Industrial.