First Fence Inc

Founded 1989 • With Angi since July 2005

First Fence increases property value, elevates curb appeal and expands living spaces through fences. Family owned & operated. In business for 31 years and counting....

A Service Provider's profile image

+48 more images

fence company202260126
This First Fence client wanted clear and concise boundaries to protect their family and pet. This fence correlates beautifully with the exterior of this incredible home.
Wood Horizontal Fence  project

fence company

202060126

4.4

4.4

fence company (197)driveway gate installation (17)woodworking (4)door installation (2)decks & porches (1)

07/19/2022

Theone W.

I thought it was going great. But their office staff is very rude and condescending, especially Tracy. How this person works in customer service is beyond me. Too much material was ordered, an extra post and they were reluctant to refund me. They will charge you for every little thing, but if material is not used, good luck getting a refund. Once they install, if you have an issue as I did good luck getting someone out to fix it. This company was recommended to me, so the terrible service was a surprise to me. I will not recommend this company and I have been asked. I just say, you don't want the headache of working with them, look elsewhere.

Description of Work
Entire back yard fencing with driveway gate

Category fencing, driveway gates

Work Completed On 08/12/2021

Dear [Member Name Removed], I am sorry to hear about your experience with our company. We take customer service very seriously and have made a few staff changes since last year when your project was installed. I was able to review your file and I was happy to see that the final amount due was revised to reflect the product that was not used during installation. Lastly, I tried calling you today and left a voicemail message for you. If possible, I would love to hear your feedback firsthand as it is helpful to our team and our efforts to continually improve our customer's experience. I invite you to call me back at 708-547-7555. Thank you in advance for your time. Regards, Jessica

11/03/2021

Thomas H.

The fence was installed very nicely. My only complaint is how much my yard was trashed in the process.

Description of Work
4' Aluminum

Work Completed On 07/26/2021

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to review our business. We are sorry to hear you were not pleased with the way your yard was during the fence installation process. Our installation crews do the very best they can when it comes to respecting our client's property. However, depending on the ground saturation, sometimes there is mud and mess that comes with that -- our apologies for any frustration we caused! We are happy to know that your fence installation was completed very nicely. We hope you are thoroughly enjoying your new fence. If there is anything we can do to assist with your fencing needs in the future, we would be happy to help. Thank you again, Jessica

08/04/2021

barron B.

The fence install was completed a couple years ago and that went fine. My salesman Jon was great. He is no longer there so I was assigned to Eric Anderson, who at first seemed okay. I’m loud for a small job and he asked for pics. After I sent pics, I never got one response back. The least he could is tell me that they can’t do it! He’s ignoring my emails, which is very unprofessional and why would I hire them again if this is Joe I will be treated. I can’t reminder exactly but I believe I spent over $6k for my fence and there was a minor issue, which they did correct. But with Eric’s unresponsiveness, I’ll be taking my business somewhere else. And I’ll definitely stop referring First Fence to anyone else.

Description of Work
Vinyl Privacy Fence Installation

Work Completed On 08/04/2021

Hi [Member Name Removed], We are very sorry to hear about your experience with our company. Being responsive to all of our clients, regardless of project size, is absolutely a priority of our business. I apologize that we fell short in this instance. If we can ever earn back your business, we would be honored to do so. Warm regards, Jessica

08/11/2020

Scott C.

Horrific customer service. Extremely arrogant and condescending. If you do not live in the city of Hillside expect to be treated and talk to as someone who doesn't matter. In my first conversation I was told they would not consider my business, they only had time for repeat customers. I thnk her for her time and hung up. She used caller ID to call me back and stated how dare I hang up on her. Then she hung up on me.

Description of Work
Fence repair - possibly replacement

Category woodworking

Work Completed On 08/11/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed], I am very sorry to hear of your experience when you called our office to make an appointment for a repair quote. For a variety of reasons, we are experiencing demand like we never have before. However, regardless of how busy we are, all clients and potential clients should be treated with respect in the highest degree. My apologies that we fell short of our goal for positive customer service. Unfortunately, we are not taking on any new customers for repair work. We are working as quickly and diligently to service all of our existing customers before we can take on repair work on fences we did not originally install. My apologies for the experience you had. Best of luck with your project. Kind regards, Jessica

06/30/2020

Carl S.

They were on time and did a wonderful job. Meet all our expectations and then some! We are very happy with our new fence!

Description of Work
New vinyl fence

Category fencing, woodworking

Work Completed On 06/30/2020

Review for First Fence Inc - 4900 Harrison St, HILLSIDE, IL - 38682673

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for the time you took to write a review regarding your experience with our company. We are very happy to hear we met all of your expectations, plus some! That's super! Please enjoy your new fence and all that comes with a new, fresh backdrop! We appreciate your business and look forward to meeting all of your fencing goals in the future. Take care! Jessica

06/18/2020

Gaby F.

Politely explained that they are working 3 months out and are only working with existing customers. Which didn't help.

Description of Work
Fencing repair

Category fencing, woodworking

Work Completed On 06/18/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us feedback. We apologize that we were not able to meet the timeline for your fencing project. The last 12 months have been incredibly challenging for all of us nationwide, including the fencing industry. We hope that as time goes on, we are able to rebound to be able to service tighter deadlines for appointments and installations. We hope you have completed your project and are happy with the results. Best, Jessica

04/15/2020

Linda H.

Excellent work---Eric did a terrific assessment and had several very good suggestions that we followed. The job was completed quickly, neatly and thoroughly.

Description of Work
Replacement of fence at back of yard, including new posts and gate

Work Completed On 04/09/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to review our business and share your experience. It sounds like we met all of your fencing needs while delivering an excellent product, with a design that makes sense for your needs! Thank you for your business. Do not hesitate to reach out in the future if we can help you with anything. Best, Jessica

04/07/2020

Gregory S.

Unbelievably smooth project. Everything should be this easy.

Description of Work
Custom chain link dog run (with pitched chain link roof) off the service door of the garage.

Work Completed On 10/16/2019

03/04/2020

Brian K.

The fence looks absolutely amazing! The entire process was smooth and installation was completed in one day! I would definitely recommend First Fence to anyone looking to install a new fence.

Description of Work
New fence install

Work Completed On 03/03/2020

11/01/2019

John M.

Eric came out and provided an estimate for our new fence installation. He arrived within the timeframe that was scheduled. He took all necessary measurements and answered all my questions. He was very knowledgeable and offered some ideas about the layout. I had the estimate later that same night. His estimate was within range of another estimates. Very easy to work with.

Description of Work
New Fence Installation

Work Completed On 10/21/2019

10/31/2019

Amy S.

We’ve used First Fence for two of our homes and have been equally satisfied with both outcomes. They’re timely, professional and their quality of work is always so impressive.

Description of Work
Fencing

Work Completed On 10/31/2019

10/31/2019

Pete S.

I moved to my house in Elmhurst 4 years ago which has an existing fence. Part of my fence blew down so I reached out to multiple fence companies about repair options. Of the companies I reached out to, First Fence was the only one that got back to me and had a consultant on site that day. When they came back for the repairs, the team was very professional, cleaned up and was as if I never had an issue to begin with. I highly recommend using First Fence and will only using them personally moving forward.

Description of Work
fence repairs

Work Completed On 10/31/2019

10/29/2019

David O.

It went great. I will admit that the project did get delayed but it was due to weather and their inability to work outside with cement. They really did a GREAT JOB! I don't normally do reviews but they earned it.

Description of Work
New vinyl fence

Work Completed On 07/11/2019

10/21/2019

Angela B.

Super professional and efficient company. Salesperson came out a few days after my cal and I had full quote in less than a week. We were able to schedule then installation quickly and the guys showed up on time and worked quickly. We used first fence for our first house and then again 7 years later. We had them back out for a couple maintenance issues and it was never a problem, always super responsive and quick to resolve the issue. Definitely would recommend them. There’s a reason you see First Fence on so many fences in town!

Description of Work
Fencing

Work Completed On 10/24/2019

10/09/2019

Michael U.

Warning. Unfortunately this went from a great experience to a terrible one fast. They cut the end of a drainage pipe so that they could put a post in front of it. Then dumped concrete. Yea not good. This backed up my drainage and cause damage for me and my neighbors. They say that oh it was hidden and we aren't liable and that stuff like this happens all the time. They drill into stuff and cause damage and its not their problem. Well in this case it was a visible pipe at the end of my property. It actually looks like they cut the pipe so that they could put the post in flush. If the post hole digger had hit it wouldn't have been perfectly flush. Just bone headed laziness.

Description of Work
New Fence Install

Work Completed On 10/09/2019

10/03/2019

Diana C.

It went great! They got everything done in one day. I would highly recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Built a privacy fence

Work Completed On 04/03/2019

07/08/2019

Kelly L.

The team worked hard to install aluminum fence. A three man team did the work in two days. The fence looks great and love the lifetime warranty that comes with it. We are so happy with the quality of the work.

Description of Work
Installation of aluminum fence

Work Completed On 06/18/2019

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to share with others about the experience you had with our company. I bet your aluminum fence looks awesome! Our team works very hard to ensure we are providing the very best for our clients from start to finish -- and we're glad you noticed! Thank you for your business and your review. Sincerely, Jessica

05/14/2019

Mieka Y.

I called on 3/25/19 to schedule an estimate and, since I needed a Saturday appointment, there was an understandably long wait. My appointment was scheduled for 4/20/19 between 10AM-12PM. Jesse called when he was on his way and arrived within the scheduled time frame. We talked about the job and I asked for 2 quotes - one to enclose the back section of my yard and another to fence the entire backyard. Jesse said that he would measure my yard and asked if it would be OK for him to email me the estimate. I was fine with this, especially considering that he was working on a weekend, and verified that he wrote down an accurate email address for me. He was on and off my property in less than 15 minutes, which I thought was pretty quick but figured that he didn't need much info for a quote. Anyway, fast forward 10 days later to 4/30/19. No email from Jesse and no follow-up phone calls from First Fence. I called the office to follow up and the secretary (Lisa?) seemed surprised that I had not received anything. She reported that Jesse was out in the field but that she would get a message to him. Today is 5/13/19 and I have not heard back. Clearly they do not want/need my business. I wish I had been told this during the appointment instead of having my time wasted.

Description of Work
Fencing for backyard

Work Completed On 04/20/2019

03/02/2019

Cara K.

The whole experience was really easy. Jesse was amazing. He was very professional, thorough, and addressed all of my questions/concerns. I read some of the negative reviews that were posted and I absolutely DID NOT experience any issues. They crew was incredible. My fence is beautiful and installed perfectly. They went above and beyond to make sure that there weren't any little gaps where my dog could get out. I am so happy and would definitely recommend or use First Fence again!

Description of Work
Had existing fence removed and replace with a privacy vinyl fence

Category fencing, driveway gates

Work Completed On 03/01/2019

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for your kind words and detailed review of your experience with our company. I LOVE to hear that you describe the process you had with us as EASY! That really says a lot!! Jesse works so hard to ensure he is professional and is careful to be sure all of his clients understand our process and what is to be expected. Your feedback is so appreciated. We as a team are always trying to do all we can do to make our clients happy! We look forward to serving you in the future. Thank you, Jessica

01/11/2019

JAY S.

Eric came out to inspect the damage and give us an estimate on a repair or replace. He didn’t push us one way or the other which I appreciate. I decided I wanted the entire back section replaced. The project was delayed a couple of times due to weather, but when the fence was replaced, the crew did a great job. They built the cedar fence on site rather than use prefab sections. They cleaned up the site and didn’t damage any plants. The fence looks great and is rock solid.

Description of Work
The back of our 6’ privacy fence blew down in a recent snow and wind storm. We needed to repair or replace.

Work Completed On 01/08/2019

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience with First Fence. We are delighted to hear that you had a positive experience from start to finish! Eric is a wonderful fence consultant who definitely respects his clients and certainly strives to never make his clients feel pressured to make decisions! We appreciate your patience when it comes to dealing with weather in Chicagoland. Our scheduling and installation teams are diligent about their work and go to great efforts to minimize the delays that weather causes. We also love that you noted that we build all of our fences on site! We don't use prefab slabs since our type of custom built installation offers much better quality control and better overall performance. Lastly, I am glad our crew showed care and were conscientious at your property, that step in our installation process is integral to our end result! We hope you enjoy your new fence. Thank you for your business and review. Take care, Jessica

12/03/2018

GARY G.

It was a terrible experience using First Fence. The installation caused damage to a gas line running to my gas grill and damage to an underground sprinkler system. Despite being informed ahead of installation about those lines, First Fence claimed no responsibility. The fence itself was installed with several broken boards and is missing sufficient nails to hold it in place. The fence post caps were not nailed in place and fell off within a day. Despite promises from Jesse to repair the fence it never happened. Despite many phone calls to the office and to the sales person; promises on their behalf that the owner would call me to discuss the situation never happened. John either never received the messages or simply does not care about customer satisfaction.

Description of Work
An old fence was removed and a new fence was installed in place

Work Completed On 12/03/2018

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thanks very much for your comments and feedback regarding your experience with our company. We value your information and take all reviews seriously, and hope that we have provided some resolution. With that in mind, I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your project. We take pride in delivering outstanding service and installation and regret that we fell short of our goal in this instance. I'm very disappointed to hear about the problems you described. When it comes to private underground lines, as noted on our contract and customer checklist, we cannot be held responsible since they are not marked by JULIE because they are private utilities. As for the broken boards and missing caps and nails, we have since been back out to remedy those issues. Additionally, the installation crew who originally performed your job has been let go by our company since their performance did not meet our installation standards. Please accept our most sincere apologies as your feedback is genuinely valued. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us as we can use this as a tool to better serve our clients as we continually strive for excellence. Sincerely, Jessica

10/31/2018

Sheila C.

Everything went well. The workers were polite and professional.

Description of Work
We had a fence with 2 gates installed.

Work Completed On 10/22/2018