The Basement Men & The Concrete Man

Founded 1998 • With Angi since October 2006

PO Box 435

Highland Park, IL 60035

The Creative Approach Builders and Remodelers, Inc. has been serving the Northshore and Chicagoland areas for over 40 years with quality workmanship and design. We specialize in Basement, Kitchen, Bathroom and General Home remodeling as well as exterior work including Brick, Concrete, Asphalt and Exterior Painting. We are truly a one stop shop for all of your home remodeling needs. No job is too big or to small and we handle the complete job! Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No service fee. May contact through email. Additional DBAs : The Basement Men and The Concrete Man. Plumbing services are subcontracted to License Plumbers. ...

08/01/2022

Brian B.

i could not be happier with the work completed by The Basement Men after we suffered a Sewer Back Up. I was not happy with the proposal from the original remediation company, and several contractors quoted the project but did not understand what we were looking to accomplish. Steve took the time to ask questions and clarify everything we wanted done, and the results were outstanding. We are now working with Steve on a Concrete project for our back patio. Great job!!

Description of Work
Basement remodeling required after sewer back up

Category custom cabinets, contractors, remodeling, fireplaces, woodworking, basement remodeling

05/16/2022

Jose C.

I am very glad to give a reference for The Creative Approach Builders and Remodelers, Inc., Steve Lauer, owner; on our recent basement construction. We purchase our new home and wanted to finish the basement. The square footage was approximately 2100 feet of unfinished area. After the drawings were submitted we agreed on 1300 sq. ft. of living area. The rest would be storage. From the start to finish, everything was done very professionally. Through putting up the framework to the laying of the floor, the workers were efficient and knowledgeable. The best experience o the construction was our personal input in every aspect. We decided on changing parts of the construction supplements other than what Steve offered. This was accepted by Steve with no hassle. Working with Steve and his workers was an easy and professional endeavor. We will be hiring Steve to do other construction work on our home in the future.

Description of Work
Finished Basement

Category drywall, electrician, insulation, lighting, interior painters, basement remodeling

04/01/2022

Nathan S.

It started out as a great project. We discussed several options and settled on replacing all the brick. A few came out and did a good job EXCEPT I was the GC. Steve only showed up when he wanted a check. We payed Steve to also do the electrical. Let me write that again - we PAID Steve to also do the electrical and it was never done. He told us the electrician broke his wrist, I checked in with Steve weekly and most of the time he didn’t reply. We had to HIRE ANOTHER COMPANY to complete the electrical works. Lastly, Steve recommended his crew to help with our landscape. I PAID his crew to remove bushes and shrubs and told them my deadline - guess what??? Screwed over again! I had to pay ANOTHER LANDSCAPER to remove the bushes. We have contacted him so very often asking him for the refund on work we paid him to do that he never completed. NO RESPONSE. Completely unprofessional. To boot - it’s a shotty job - seal coat not done well areas missing AND they sealed over tire marks - as in never cleaned the brick before sealing, still have lose bricks, sloping of bricks towards the house

Description of Work
Driveway and walkway

Category concrete driveways, electrician, landscaping

02/16/2022

andria K.

Steve poured concrete for a porch at our home. They did a terrible job, the stairs and patio were completely uneven and visible to the naked eye. They were sloppy and left concrete splatters all over our beautiful brick driveway. when we complained and asked him to fix it or refund our money he kept showing up at our home threatening to sue us and screaming at us. Do not hire this person

Description of Work
Poured concrete for two porches

Category concrete repair

This is an unfortunate review and account of the situation. These clients chose to leave town during the job. We moved forward with the project at the customer’s request, as we customarily prefer to perform work when the Homeowners are in town and able to give input and direction while the project is in process. When the customers returned home and saw the job, they had some concerns, one of which was clean up, this task hadn’t been performed yet as the concrete was not dry. We sent the men back to the job to clean up the site and addressed the concerns the customer had. Despite our attentiveness and effort to address to all the concerns, the customer still made it difficult for us to collect the balance which was due. We ended up extending a discount off the final bill to satisfy the client. Contrary to the review, we cleaned up after ourselves and did a good job. We did our best to address the customers complaints, but when confronted with their intentions not to pay their balance which was due, we informed, not threatened the customer that they would be dealing with our legal representation in the future for this matter. I am sorry that these clients could not appreciate a good job at a great price along with the value of a responsive contractor who addresses concerns and values their customers. We try to please all our clients, but sometimes it is impossible.

01/18/2022

Steven N.

would stay away from using the Basement Men. The owner, Steve only shows up during a project when he wants another check. In addition, when I had a problem with his multiple change orders he argued with me and we ended up in a yelling match. Strike 3 which caused me to write this review is because a couple items went missing from my house during the project. I'm 100% sure one of his guys took it. While its possible it was accidentally mistaken for the workers tools, Steve acted like he could care less that my items were missing. Probably because the job was already paid in full.

Description of Work
Basement Remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, picture framing, lighting, plumbing, basement remodeling

10/11/2021

Michael B.

Getting a quote was great and after signing up found out the job was sub-contracted to another concrete company. I had to re-explain the project again. When they finally showed up I had to explain the project to the crew… again. The sub contract team was fine but they I had to manage them. Steve never showed up to look at the job or the work, not sure what I was paying for. Then after paying him I found the fence post there were suppose to install wasn’t done correct and only half of the post was in concrete. I had to dig 30” down and redo the work myself. When I called to complain (I was angry at their point) Steve proceeded to say something was wrong with me! Never again and I’m not sure how this company has a service award.

Description of Work
Concrete sidewalk

07/07/2021

John K.

Work was done in a timely fashion and completely to my liking. Price was very reasonable and the workmen were extremely polite and thoughtful while on the job -- moving trucks whenever neighbors needs to get by, and could not have been more polite about it. The old driveway was removed quickly and the new cement was poured with care and now looks beautiful and smooth. Great job!

Description of Work
Replaced Old Concrete Driveway

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways

12/22/2020

scott and michelle C.

Very professional crew. Great job. Would hire again.

Description of Work
concrete

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways

12/18/2020

Chris J.

Steve worked with us to get a new bathroom put into our basement. As all construction has its challenges, it took a lot longer than planned, however, the work was finally complete. The work performed was top notch. Steve is a good guy, he can come across pushy, but nonetheless a unique person to work with. This is the 3rd job Steve has done for us and we have one more planned in the spring.

Description of Work
New full bath for Basement

Category ceramic tile, concrete repair, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, lighting, plumbing, fireplaces, wells, interior painters, basement remodeling

11/05/2020

Carrie C.

Many concrete businesses I reached out to were not interested in even quoting the job because I guess it was too small. I got a call from Steve at The Concrete Man right away. He came out the next day for a quote. His pricing was very reasonable and he was able to have a crew do the job the very next day. The crew was incredibly friendly, they showed up on time, and did a great job. Steve checked in on the project several times. I would recommend them to anyone doing any size concrete job.

Description of Work
Repair of a crack in our concrete on our front stoop by the front door.

10/07/2020

Linda R.

Everyone was super professional, quick and timely!

Description of Work
Basement Updates

Category drywall, flooring contractor, insulation, remodeling, interior painters, basement remodeling

09/22/2020

Elwood H.

The finish on the concrete is very rough, a brushed surface with dips that hold small puddles, not a smooth one like we had previously. The agreed transition from the driveway to the walk was not done satisfactorily. The cleanup was minimal, lots of stone and excess concrete on the lawn, it’s been two weeks now and I’m still finding concrete and stone in the lawn. Lots of concrete dust and stone on the street in front of the house where they mixed the concrete. We paid for quality and got substantially less. Definitely NOT recommended. A salesman with a glib tongue and no follow through.

Description of Work
Removed our old sunken and broken concrete patio, the step to the family room, the step to the back door and the walkway to the front of the house. Replaced it with a similar patio and steps, and an enhanced walkway.

Category concrete repair, patios

09/03/2020

Douglas H.

Steve was very responsive and did a great job. Highly Recommend.

Description of Work
New Curb on side of yard next to alley

08/11/2020

Chuck B.

Steve and his concrete guy came out and did a good job looking at our basement floor replacement and their explanation was good. However, when I asked about village permits, they told me that they recommended not applying for one because "that opens a can of worms." Not only does that make me liable for any penalties (my town takes permits very seriously) but it also doesn't confirm the safety of the reconstruction plan. They said it was okay if I wanted to get a permit, but avoiding getting one should not be the first response to that question. Lastly, they never got back to me after saying they would.

Description of Work
Complete replacement of basement floor and foundation support.

Category basement waterproofing

08/05/2020

Jim H.

My wife and I could not be happier with the work and the professionalism of The Concrete Man and his people. We highly recommend them. First, I want to note that my wife and I have done a lot of work on our house over the years, including a complete three-story addition that doubled the living space of our house. We consider ourselves very experienced when it comes to hiring professionals and gauging the quality of their work. This job was straightforward. We needed a 10 foot, octagonal concrete pad placed as a foundation for a gazebo we intended to install. The concrete pad was to be located in the back corner of our property and due to a fence and a detached garage, there was no way to bring equipment back to the exact jobsite. We first met Steve who quoted the job. In spite of the COVID restrictions, he maintained the kind of friendly professionalism that you want to see in a contractor. The quote was ready for us directly, but because of unrelated work on our part, we delayed our acceptance. In fact, we lost the quote and I had to return to Angies List to try to find the contractor again. In spite of the delay, Steve remembered who we were and our project and, in fact, lined our project up with another project in the area for simplicity and efficiency. We needed the pad by a certain date, and he beat that date by a week. The team who arrived to do the work was simply outstanding. They were very attentive to our specific requirements. They were very patient in explaining our options. Finally, once they finished, they performed the single best jobsite cleanup that I have ever witnessed. My backyard was cleaner than it was before they got there. I highly recommend this company. I will hire them again.

Description of Work
Concrete pad as a foundation for a gazebo/shed

07/30/2020

Vincent W.

The initial consultation was fine. The sub-contractor, Mike Catalano (sp?) that Steve used was outstanding. Steve's professionalism regarding this job was abysmal. Steve showed up before the job was finished asking for final payment. When I told him that I would give him final payment after the job was finished, we had a very unpleasant exchange. That left a very bad impression and I would not conduct business with Steve again.

Description of Work
Replacing a sidewalk and concrete stairs

07/15/2020

beverly K.

very excellent - smooth sailing, all work was performed to perfection and started and completed as promised.

Description of Work
A new patio, new walkways and new step.

07/01/2020

Chris J.

Steve was really easy to work with and got the job done very quickly. Communication was very well.

Description of Work
Replace asphalt driveway

Category driveway pavers

06/25/2020

JAMES A.

Communication and scheduling from start to finish was excellent, and having previously worked with a number of contractors that neglected both, this was very much appreciated. The work area was cleaned up well over the two days and the patio - a large rectangular concrete slab w/ expansion joints - looks outstanding. The front stoop plus a step were enlarged from 3x5 to 4.5x5 so we could open the storm door without having to step back and down. This also looks great. The old walkway had a large 2+” crack and had also sunk over and inch. The finish and curved sides of the walk were done well. The only negative in the entire job is the expansion cut in the walkway is a little crooked. That said, I do not think it detracts from the many positives and once the backfill and landscaping are redone I’ll be less likely to notice it. The cost was very fair and the lead time of roughly two weeks was really quick. In the end I would hire The Concrete Guy again. Thank you for a job well done.

Description of Work
Concrete patio and demo and replace front walkway and stoop.

04/23/2020

Caitlin B.

We needed to replace our back stairs. Project came in on time and on budget. No.problem with social distancing.

Description of Work
Deck Work

Category decks, remodeling

04/22/2020

Phil C.

It went well I am happy with the finished product. Rafel and Kuba were the installers. They did a nice job.

Description of Work
Needed my basement remodeled

Category basement waterproofing, basement remodeling

04/22/2020

Gerard V.

Don't hire these guys and don't let Steve Lauer into your home. High pressure sales tactics and won't leave as he demands you sign an contract right there or you will lose the pricing he is quoting. Hire them to finish my basement but fired after framing was completed. Left basement a mess when complete and didn't use blocking as appropriate. Bathroom wall was totally out of square and door frame put in the wrong place. They pinched off my furnace fresh air supply to the return duct. Do yourself a favor and do not hire them!

Description of Work
Framing basement

Category picture framing

When we completed the Framing of your unfinished basement in 12/2018 it was in good condition. Since you left the framing exposed for what I am assuming is at least a year, in your damp, cold in the winter/hot in the summer, uninsulated basement; wood can warp and move. A year later, you hired another contractor to finish the walls and they deemed our work poor? I believe that you are old & experienced enough to know that when hiring one company to start a project & another company to finish, the 2nd company will always criticize what the 1st company did, in every industry. They are also seeing our work over a year later. Perhaps, the contractor with questionable integrity is the one ripping on the work someone else did without considering all the facts, maybe taking advantage of you, your naiveté and benefiting from the situation. The new contractor isn’t working for free & the more work he does, the more $$ he makes. If you had hired my company to finish the project we started, we would have been able to address any framing issues. Your solution to the situation is to post a vicious unwarranted attack on AL. Unwarranted, because during the course of our business relationship, I bended & accommodated to your needs which changed with each contract and cancellation. Despite being jerked around by you for 6 months, I never disrespected you. I handled you and your project professionally, and despite your disgusting rant on AL, I am still responding politely. This is why I have an A rating on AL. I am a reputable businessman. I am honest, have integrity and an immense amount of pride in being a 3rd generation contractor serving the Chicagoland area for 25+ years. I love what I do, and all of my clients who not only support my company online, but use us repeatedly and refer us to friends and family. I am sorry for you [Member Name Removed], that in these unprecedented times when the world needs good people willing to help and give to others, your contribution is a vicious attack posted online to bring down another. Well done sir!

03/06/2020

Corretha G.

I met with Steve for a estimate on a basement remodel. Steve was professional and on time. He came up with a great design for my basement. The next day, he sent me over the proposal and his price was reasonable and right in my budget. Steve is one of the few professionals who still cares about their work and wants to please his customers. I had other estimates on my basement, some companies were a no show, others were expensive and some companies never even responded to me. I had to postpone my remodel due to plumbing issues, but once that is squared away I would like to pick up where we left off.

Description of Work
Basement Remodel

Category basement remodeling

03/01/2020

Renata M.

As a lot of reviews here we got a bad experience with Steve. I truly doubt the good reviews since before the final discussions he wanted to offer us a $200 DISCOUNT FOR A GOOD REVIEW. Just be aware and read carefully all the F reviews there to learn ahead who are you dealing with. After getting big money from us in a period when this business is very slow, he has decided not to finish the job unless we consider a part of it a different job and we pay extra. This was the installation of handrails and spindles that he was looking again to rip us off with. He started before Christmas and after they got the $$$ thousands in down payment and dogged in the basement, Steve decided not to continue the job without extra $300. He threatened me with living the job, if otherwise. In the end he tried to intimidate me with his lawyer. I feel cheated and deceived by this individual and I warn everyone to watch out. I am very disappointed with the outcomes, especially because we were so fair in dealing and paying him. We had made 9 payments for him instead of 3 major ones, because he had asked us for money to pay his workers or materials. Each time he asked us for a payment, we were right on time and pleased him. We even paid him half of the final payment without completing the job. Moreover, we have paid for the delivery of floor, cabinets, vanity and doors to make it easier and faster for his workers. We have made 2 extra trips to Lowes for floor since some miscalculation occurred. Steve refused to do anything we asked him, blaming us for everything. His subcontractor left us on a Friday without power in the living room, and Steve considered this our existent issue and he thinks that we should have paid for his subcontractor's services. We wanted a full replacement of both WASHER and DRYER machines. His subcontractor has scratched and damaged our appliances. Patching them up is not good enough for us. They were brand new and we have all the paperwork from ABT and pictures to prove it. *We wanted 4 of the 6 panel doors installed to be replaced with flat panel doors because they have been cut and we are not pleased with the look. Basically, this individual will not take the responsibility at the job and all he will try to do is to rip you off. I have learned about poor business ethics, no moral integrity or professionalism with this individual. I am not sure what YOU are looking for?!?

Description of Work
basement remodeling

Category basement remodeling

02/25/2020

John W.

Great design on time on budget clean and tidy no complaints whatsoever

Description of Work
Basement and Interior Remodeling

Category electrician, hardwood floor, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, doors, basement remodeling