Kerr Home Services

Founded 2003 • With Angi since September 2007

We're a small, Evanston-based handyman business, serving the North Shore of Chicago. We have 4 uniformed handymen who do the majority of our work. Our handymen, professional and efficient. We take pride in good communication and building long-term relationships with our customers. All our work is performed hourly at $75 per hour, plus $30 travel for jobs less than 4 hours. Call or email us. GC LICENSE #: 07LIC-221....

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly

bathrooms and custom concrete

+4 more images

handyman (126)plumbers (21)interior painting (20)drywall (18)woodworking (16)general contractors (14)electrician (13)home remodeling (12)door installation (11)lighting (11)window replacement (10)deck cleaning (8)

12/30/2020

Timothy M.

install vent covers for pest control

Description of Work
Handyman arrived on time, found creative solution to my problem, quickly went to hardware store for materials, and completed job quickly. Total bill was about half what another handyman service estimated that their minimum charge would be. Great job all around

Work Completed On 01/08/1970

09/21/2020

Brooke S.

trampoline assembly: didn’t show up

Description of Work
We had an appointment for September 21st at 9am, followed up Friday for appointment and heard nothing. Called this morning with no follow up. No one showed up.

Work Completed On 01/08/1970

I emailed to try to reschedule the week before, due to a scheduling conflict. I'm sorry we were not able to get the work done when you needed it. Andrew

08/06/2020

Tosha J.

I am thrilled with the service that I received. He was very professional and put up my mirrors very fast. I would definitely recommend Kerr Home Services. Thanks again!

Description of Work
Hanging large mirrors on a wall

Work Completed On 08/11/2020

06/22/2020

MacAdam G.

Kerr Home Services has been a life saver for our family. We moved last year into a 1924 colonial that was badly in need of updating. Andrew and his entire team are top-notch, and especially Yuri, who has done so much for us. They are honest, hard-working, extremely competent, and deliver the work with a high level of skill. I am so grateful we found them.

Description of Work
We have used them for all kinds of projects over the last year or so.

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service, masonry, plastering, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 06/22/2020

09/15/2019

SHERI A.

I had a long list of projects that needed to be done, some smaller, some larger. Yuri was here working diligently the entire day. He fixed everything well, and even asked about fixing things I didn’t ask him to fix ( he saw that the dryer vent needed to be cleaned out when he was up on the ladder looking at the exhaust fan for my bathroom and cleared that out as well. He was very punctual, friendly, and committed to the tasks at hand. He even fixed an outdoor plumbing issue that had never been fixed properly, and gave us a new water shut off valve. I have already hired him again to fix the things that didn’t make it on to the first list.

Description of Work
I had a long list of projects that needed to be done, some smaller some larger.

Category handyman service, plumbing

Work Completed On 08/22/2019

09/13/2019

ANITA M.

They were good. Really a skill craft person, polite, explain well.

Description of Work
Fix door bell,

Work Completed On 08/13/2019

03/15/2019

Jay R.

Excellent! I am now able to control lights in my house from my smartphone. They clearly knew how to deal with these types of switches. As for the storm door, they did a really nice job of repairing the wood and the door apparatus. It loos and functions as if there was nothing wrong.

Description of Work
Electrical installing Lutron Caseta smart switches, repairing other existing switches in the house; repaired storm door at the front of our house that was severely damaged by recent wind storms.

Category electrician, handyman service

Work Completed On 03/15/2019

01/24/2019

Kathleen H.

Our older home has a lot of character but also requires a lot of work (fixtures, flooring, plumbing, electric, wear and tear, renovations, you name it). We have had many experiences with handymen over the years. Many of these experiences have been positive, but nobody compares to the work we have had done by Kerr Home Services-- particularly in customer service and professionalism. Ever since we discovered Kerr Home Services, no project has been left incomplete. All calls have been immediately returned. Scheduling has always been easy and the workers come exactly when they say they will. Opinions and concerns are taken very seriously and immediately addressed. We have worked with three of Andrew's workers in addition to Andrew himself and everyone has been kind, prompt, respectful, talented, and hard-working. This team provides quality work and we plan to use them moving forward with all of our home service needs.

Description of Work
Multiple odd jobs around the home, two larger projects including carpentry and flooring

Work Completed On 01/23/2019

12/18/2018

Lin Y.

My front door and side lites are made of fiberglass and the stain had faded away over the years. I didn't need re-staining on the inside, just the outside. I had contacted the service provider late last year but it got too cold to do the job. This year it got done in October on a nice day. Yuri was sent out to my house with several colors of stain but none of them matched. He went and got more stains and finally one of them worked. He had to mix stain and varnish since the door is not wood and wouldn't absorb the stain. He did the job and left the lacquer to dry for a day. Then the business owner came back the next day and put back the rubber gasket around the door. I was happy with the color and the work. The cost was for labor and materials.

Description of Work
Staining front door

Category handyman service, house painters

Work Completed On 12/18/2018

11/19/2018

Jay S.

All items fixed and the work was performed quickly at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
Fixing light fixtures and a ceiling fan.

Category electrician, handyman service

Work Completed On 11/19/2018

09/05/2018

Ken L.

Responded over the Labor Day weekend, made someone available the Tuesday following, arrived on time, provided a creative and inexpensive solution, cleaned up nicely. Exactly what we needed and for less than anticipated.

Description of Work
Build out a rack to level under new washer and dryer and move laundry basin

Category handyman service, plumbing

Work Completed On 09/05/2018

Glad it all went well, [Member Name Removed]. Thanks for the review. Andrew

06/12/2018

R B.

Mario did an excellent job and kept us informed during the work process. Kerr Service provides quality work at reasonable price

Description of Work
Mario installed a cabinet and under cabinet hood range. A few weeks later add backsplash to kitchen wall

Category handyman service, remodeling

Work Completed On 06/11/2018

Review for Kerr Home Services - 1205B Hartrey Ave, Evanston, IL - 37148110

05/11/2018

KATHY B.

Very well. I have re-hired them for some additional projects

Description of Work
He built some shelves in my kitchen, re-built a stoop and repaired some folding doors, and a few odds and ends.

Work Completed On 05/11/2018

03/08/2018

Rachel K.

After reading positive reviews, I called Kerr to adjust an entrance door. I'm disappointment with the unprofessional customer service. Repair person did not show up at the scheduled time nor call to cancel the appointment. I lost a day of work waiting for this service. I was unable to reach anyone in person regarding the missed appointment. I would not recommend.

Description of Work
Entrance door repair

Category handyman service, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 03/08/2018

12/28/2017

Tasos K.

I was pleased. They get the job done with minimal disruption to my day.

Description of Work
Repair a broken door window pane

Category handyman service, replacement windows

Work Completed On 12/28/2017

12/22/2017

Stephen T.

Diagnosed issue with outdoor air entering through the exhaust and made a repair

Description of Work
Repaired exhaust vent in powder room

Work Completed On 12/22/2017

12/13/2017

Jay R.

Mission accomplished. The light no longer flashes.

Description of Work
Repaired a faulty ceiling fan and light fixture

Work Completed On 12/01/2017

11/03/2017

Kyaram W.

It didn't. How could it go anywhere when the company refuses to pick up the phone after promising to call you to set up the final details? I texted and called repeatedly, and no return call. Absolutely pathetic. Thank God I didn't give them any money.

Description of Work
Exterior painting of windows and gutters, as well as some minor repair work.

Category gutter repair, handyman service, replacement windows, house painters, doors

Work Completed On 10/26/2017

09/14/2017

Sarah W.

Everything went really well. Jefe came over and was very friendly and answered my questions and got to work right away. Now that it is done, it looks great!

Description of Work
I needed the drywall on my ceiling soffit replaced after a plumbing leak was fixed.

Work Completed On 09/14/2017

07/04/2017

Tom Z.

Total miss on the deadbolt. Paying somebody else to do it right. Total miss on the caulking. Said they did it? But did not do so. They did a great job on the carpentry work removing and replacing exterior door trim. Showed little-to-no interest in the siding replacement. Said it was special order at the lumber yard. That turns out not to be the case. Other small items ok.

Description of Work
A bunch of smallish things around the house, mostly outside. Re-position deadbolt socket so door locks. Caulk windows on third floor. Replace door trim. Replace a piece of cedar shingle house siding. And a few other items.

Category handyman service

[Member Name Removed], I believe you are reviewing some handyman work we did for you a little over a year ago. I wish you had called me at the time to share your concerns. I would have done my best to address the issues right away. Thanks Andrew

05/09/2017

Caryn S.

Our appointment was set for 10am Monday May 8, 2017. By 10:20am, I felt it was safe to assume no one was coming. This fact has been confirmed to me as it is now 7:50pm and I still have not see or heard from anyone in the company. Waiting for them completely ruined my morning as my time is extremely limited to the few hours my child is at preschool. I have a lot of home projects and I was hoping to find a good company to help me out. Guess who I will never call on again. Thanks for nothing Kerr.

Description of Work
I called this company to come out and hang some bedroom doors for me.

Category doors

[Member Name Removed], I called you the day before our scheduled meeting (Sunday) at 5:17pm to ask if we could move the time of the meeting to a bit earlier or a bit later in the day, as I had a conflict at our scheduled time and I didn't want to leave you waiting. I left you a message and I never heard back. It sounds like you didn't get my message. I'm sorry to hear it ruined your morning. I'm still happy to meet with you this week to discuss your job. Thanks Andrew

03/06/2017

Tod C.

I have used this service before and cannot praise them enough. They come and do the job well the first time. They came on time and repaired a banister that had fallen off the wall.

Description of Work
Repair of stairways banister

Work Completed On 01/23/2017

12/26/2016

Prudence M.

The work done was excellent and was done in a timely manner.

Description of Work
Complicated carpentry repairs on the front porch.

Category handyman service, woodworking