Windy City Movers Inc

Founded 1982 • With Angi since March 2010

We are a family owned & operated professional full service moving company, licensed by the Illinois Commerce Commission to provide moving services within the state of Illinois since 1982. We are an award winning company and are members of the Illinois Movers and Warehousemen's

movers (60)hauling (5)

08/17/2020

Patricia B.

You don't run across many honest companies like this. I called for a quote, left a message and they called me back within the hour. I spoke to the owner (Ed) and he was quite apologetic at not being able to handle my move given the size of my home. He also provided names of reputable companies (his competitors) that he felt could handle the job well. This will be the company I call if I have a smaller move. I know they will stand by their commitments and certainly showed their integrity. They did not have to call me back.

Description of Work
Moving 7,000 sq ft house

Category hauling services

Work Completed On 08/17/2020

01/29/2020

Kimberly J.

It was great, they were fast, efficient and careful.

Description of Work
They moved my furniture and boxes.

Work Completed On 05/15/2018

01/27/2020

Sharon S.

Fantastic. They move faster that I though they will. Extremely reasonable prices. I could not be more pleased.

Description of Work
Moving service. Moved a lot of furniture.

Work Completed On 09/05/2019

09/07/2019

Alli F.

Do NOT use Windy City Movers. We paid them nearly 1k in July for a 5 hour move. They broke two light covers in our new building hallway. Our neighbor’s Timberland boots were taken (it’s a three flat so they were under a bench outside his door). One of our boxes never made it to our new places that had our Alexa in it. We, and our neighbor, called the company regarding the boots (we didn’t even mention the missing box because we just wanted our neighbor taken care of) multiple times, and the manager said since we had “no proof” he couldn’t help us. We had to pay our neighbor $150 to replace the boots. Do not do business with this company if you care about your belongings and your wallet.

Description of Work
Moved us 3 blocks

Work Completed On 07/18/2019

09/20/2017

Christopher G.

The move from condo to storage went relatively smoothly, though it took twice as long as they'd estimated. The move from storage to house took nearly three times as long as expected...it took so long for them to load the truck from the storage unit I finally sent a neighbor to check on them, and she found them sitting in the truck taking a break. The crew was slow moving that day, didn't have the same members as the first move, and didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get things done. It was perhaps my fault for tipping them well on the first move, maybe they thought if they stretched the second move out they'd make more money? And they did--I ended up paying over twice what I expected to pay. I also did my share of helping, more on the first move (which maybe kept things moving) but then helped a lot at the storage unit and house, too...it was the only way that truck was going to get unloaded. I think they kept things moving when I was around and helping, but when I left thinking they were close to done, it took hours for them to wrap up at the storage unit. Really nice guys, but I wouldn't use this company or recommend them again.

Description of Work
Move from a condo to storage, then storage to a house a week later.

Work Completed On 05/20/2017

05/17/2017

Alex K.

Great, they were very helpful and packaged any extra items up. Took care of items, no damage, hard working. Everything completely very quickly.

Description of Work
Needed help moving out of a two bedroom apartment into a home.

Work Completed On 03/25/2017

05/17/2017

Alex K.

It was great! They packaged everything that I had not secured already very well. They took great care of all items. They were very fast, very friendly, worked hard and got it all done quickly. Would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Moving out of small 2-bed Apt

Work Completed On 03/24/2017

04/11/2017

virginia Z.

The quote was a little on the high side. Thorough and pretty competent, very detailed estimate. The price needs to be lower for me to use them.

Description of Work
They gave me a quote for moving.

02/02/2017

Kenneth N.

Very good. It was $124 an hour for three men, $124 charge for truck fee, $30.00 charge for packing an LED tv. They were right on time. Came at nine, were very professional. I would highly recommended. Three workers, and the boss, ED, he actually came, and made sure they did an good job. He actually prepped the tv, and the glass table. He was the boss, and made sure the workers did it well. The workers were very good, professional, very accommodating. If you needed to move something, they would, they even gave suggestions where things needed to go. The guys did a lot of work on the move, what they did was really outstanding. I really like that when we moved out of the house, the buyers realty came, and suggested we moved things, and they spent an additional hour and half, that wasn't planned on being moved yet. I got no problems paying them, but the realty guy was an jerk. I was leaving an refrigerator, but they said it had to go. They moved it out into the ally. We were going to leave a few of our stuff in the garage, but we were unable to leave the stuff. They did a lot of extra work, which they were accommodating.

Description of Work
Moved fro Chicago, to Vernon Hills. It was an three bedroom ranch house, to an two bedroom town house. They did just the moving.

Work Completed On 01/31/2017

01/17/2017

Jonathan D.

Move went well - it took longer than estimated, which means it cost more than estimated. Otherwise went well, very well packed truck and delivered with no damage.

Description of Work
Local move.

Work Completed On 11/09/2016

10/31/2016

Tim T.

excellent outstanding very well done

Description of Work
Moved out of my condo

Category hauling services, moving companies, storage units

Work Completed On 09/10/2016

07/20/2016

Matthew W.

With just a few hours notice they had two very helpful movers on site in Andersonville making quick work emptying the truck. We called them Monday morning and they were there by 1pm Monday afternoon. What took 3 people 1.5 days to pack and load they moved off the truck in just a little over 2 hours including taking the time to navigate the truck through a very tight Chicago alley. I plan on using them again for their helpfulness, professionalism and responsiveness.

Description of Work
I had a 20ft. U-Haul truck filled with furniture that needed unpacking.

Work Completed On 07/11/2016

11/21/2015

Anita P.

I have moved more than 15 times in my life so far, and this was by far the easiest move of them all! The credit goes to Windy City Movers. I can't think of anything they could have done to make the experience better. I called the office to let set up a move date, they called to confirm shortly before the date, the 3 movers came on time, they carefully and quickly loaded the truck in an hour, drove to the new home in an hour, unloaded at the new home carefully and quickly in an hour. All done in 3 hours! Everyone was friendly and efficient, and we will definitely use them again if needed in the future.

Description of Work
Moved our household from a 2 bedroom apartment in Chicago to a 3 bedroom house in the suburbs 30 miles away.

Work Completed On 10/19/2015

09/11/2015

Susan R.

The 3 movers were prompt, and courteous, but it all went downhill from there. They didn't care about my furniture, and as a result, some things got scratched and dirty. A few of my nice wood pieces of furniture got nicked and scratched. My white sofa was wrapped, but still arrived at my new house dirty, especially one of my couch pillows. I was assured that a representative would be calling me about rectifying the problem, but I haven't heard from anyone. They LIED right to my face. They all had dirty hands while handling my things, and made no attempt to wipe them off with a towel. Also, while I realized that it was a warm day, they sweated all over my personal items, and again made no attempt to dry off with a towel to minimize getting my things dirty. it was really disgusting!! The worst part was when one of them went into my bathroom for awhile and had a bowel movement! He left my toilet very dirty, and also left the light on, and the fan running. They also put holes in the netting on the underside of my mattress boxspring. Very uncaring and careless attitudes. I will NEVER use them again, nor will I EVER recommend them to anyone! I am just SO grossed out by them handling my things.

Description of Work
Moved my household 1.6 miles away to new location.

Work Completed On 08/10/2015

01/26/2015

Molly S.

The movers, Tim S., Rob S., and Brendan, were all friendly, professional and quick. It was obvious that they had a lot of moving experience. They had a great attitude and were very mindful of all of our things. They were very hardworking. Thanks for making moving day less stressful!

Description of Work
They moved our family from a first floor apartment to a house three blocks away.

Work Completed On 01/22/2015

11/13/2014

Kathleen F.

Very nice and respectful men. Handled the furniture with care. Moved furniture into my home and set it up. Very friendly and professional.

Description of Work
Moved multiple pieces of furniture from my deceased mother's house in Chicago to my house in Gurnee.

Category hauling services, moving companies

Work Completed On 10/17/2014

11/03/2014

Frank D.

They are the best thing out there until the transporter from Star Trek is perfected. They showed up on time and did not stop or slow down until the move was completed. A mover I thought would take 5 or 6 hours was done in 3. Nothing broken, dropped, scraped, or damaged in any way. The team we had consisted of Tim S., Steve M., and Brian and I want to thank them again for a great job.

Description of Work
Moved entire apartment full of furniture and belongings from Condo into a house

Category hauling services, moving companies

Work Completed On 10/27/2014

10/13/2014

Max C.

We used a two man team. We received three quotes and theirs was the least by far. They showed up exactly on time. They were incredibly polite, friendly, and professional. We ran through what items were going to which address so they could load the truck accordingly. They worked very quickly but carefully. One item was a desk built over a hundred years ago and extraordinarily heavy. It took them a few minutes to figure out how they would get this down from the second floor, but once they did, they were able to do so quickly. We will definitely use Windy City again and highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Windy City helped move over a dozen large pieces of furniture from my mother's, some to both my home and my sister's home.

Work Completed On 10/13/2014

07/12/2014

PAULA S.

The whole experience was really great! The initial contact with the company was very informative. They estimated that it would cost $720. So they were pretty close to their estimate. On the day of the move, they were on time. The movers - Dave, Jose and Matthew each introduced themselves. Dave explained exactly what was going to happen. I signed the contract, and they got right to work. And they didn't stop working until the last item was off the truck. I would definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
Windy City moved us from a 2 br apartment in the South Loop to a 2 br apartment in Andersonville.

Work Completed On 07/08/2014

05/21/2014

Roger T.

This was kind of short notice. I had a refrigerator that was left behind at my old house that still needed to be moved. Everything went very well.

Description of Work
Moving services.

Work Completed On 05/13/2014

05/16/2014

Philip K.

Windy City moved our entire home for a work-related relocation, including packing services. We could not have been more impressed with their skill, professionalism, and general good nature of all the individuals we encountered. Two full moving trucks, and not one thing broke! They truly care about providing top notch customer service. We couldn't have been happier.

Description of Work
Packing and moving services

Work Completed On 05/02/2014

04/01/2014

Roger T.

Everything went really well. There was a mishap where they slipped on the stairs while carrying a large dresser. They chipped the stair on the wall, but it was nothing that I couldn't fix on my own. We were just happy no one was hurt. They also moved some heavy filing cabinets. There was a little more to move than anticipated, but they still came in under the estimate. We were very pleased.

Description of Work
They helped us move.