Guardian Heating & Cooling Service

Founded 1953 • With Angi since November 2002

3916 N Central Park

Chicago, IL 60618

We are family-owned and operated since 1953 have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! Specializing in Heating and Cooling Services, we guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide while
Nursing home boilers project
Nursing home boilers

HVAC Companies

202060618

05/21/2022

Dmitriy M.

Huge waste of time and money. We had Guardian come out to perform a routine cleaning and maintenance of our AC as the weather was warming up. I wasn't paying much attention and let the technician do his thing. He was telling me everything looks good and wanted to run the AC for a while to take some measurements. I turned on the AC and it ran for about 15 minutes before shutting off and making a weird noise. The guy literally said "uh oh I hope I didn't break it." He charged me $150 for his services and told me the AC is broken beyond repair and I shouldn't even consider trying to fix it. This was very unexpected since the unit is 7 years old and worked just fine last summer. I googled around and found a bunch of sites saying you shouldn't run the AC when it's cold since that can damage the unit - it was 40 degrees that day. Don't know if that's what broke it, but I'm guessing it was part of the problem. I asked Guardian to send someone else and take a look to make sure the thing was really beyond repair since it seemed strange that it would go from working last summer to completely messed up. They sent a "comfort technician" who proceeded to disassemble my entire furnace and tell me all about how the previous installers didn't know what they were doing and I needed a new furnace. What about the AC? Then he goes in to detail about how my hot water heater was installed improperly and that that needs to be replaced too. I listened to all this hoping he'd tell me how to get the AC back in order but no such luck. He wanted a senior tech to come out and take a look. That night I woke up because the house was freezing. I saw that my thermostat wasn't receiving power and had a mild heart attack before realizing the "comfort technician" forgot to flip the breaker to the furnace back on before leaving. Pretty sloppy of him. The senior tech came out and wasted another hour and a half of my time telling me that I need a new AC and furnace - the units are too large for my space, and the ducts are all wrong, and look at all this moisture. I told him I just wanted to get the AC working in time for the summer. He said he couldn't test it because it was too cold outside... Why didn't first tech know that? He would come back on a warmer day. He came back and proceeded to disassemble the AC condenser. When he put it back together and turned it on the fan started making a loud grinding noise. I told him that was new and he made a big show of telling me how Guardian always takes responsibility for their mistakes and they would fix the fan since they broke it. However the fan was not worth fixing since the whole thing was doomed anyway so instead he'd give me a great deal on a new unit. I said OK and got a quote for "50% off" an open box condenser. By this point I was pretty sick of dealing with these clowns but it was clear they weren't going to fix the AC so I either needed someone else to fix it or just get a new one. I called ABT to get a quote and their full price quote for a comparable unit was $400 less than the Guardian discount. They even threw in the lift needed to get the unit to the roof for free (another $350). I ended up getting a new AC from ABT. Guardian was kind enough to refund the $150 for their maintenance services.

Description of Work
Routine air conditioner cleaning and maintenance

06/19/2021

Barbara B.

Fantastic customer service! Jasper made sure my air conditioner was replaced in a timely manner by Josh, who was friendly and professional. I didn't catch the name of Josh's work partner, but he was also very personable. They got done in under 5 hours (they had to do the whole system, including the condenser on the roof of a 3-story walk-up), and kept me informed of their progress. Jasper called a few days later to make sure I was satisfied (yes, I was, very) and has told me to call him with any questions or concerns. I have a new HVAC company!

Description of Work
Replace air conditioning system

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We are excited to hear you are completely satisfied. Thank you for your review!

02/17/2021

Patricia P.

I am absolutely satisfied with the work that was done. One of their technicians, Nelson diagnosed the issues with my current furnace and was able to explain what they were in terms I could easily understand. He showed me with a special camera all the cracks inside my furnace which was already 18 years old and on its way out. Considered a hazard at this point, I decided to replace it. David was very helpful in explaining what my options were for my needs in this living space. I decided to add a humidifier since it gets very dry in my condo unit during the winter. I also added an air purifier to help reduce the amount of allergens in the air since I suffer from sensitive sinuses and allergies. Josh and Akeem installed the new equipment within the time frame they estimated. They were efficient and did a wonderful job. Josh was kind to label a few things for me so I wouldn't forget. Overall, I am happy with everything and recommend this company.

Description of Work
AC replacement, AC maintenance, Furnace, Air purifier and Humidifier installation and maintenance.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

So glad you're happy. Dealing with Chicago blizzards can make you question why are we here? Reading your review reminds us why. Thank you.

01/26/2021

Scott V.

The service was fantastic, they are exceptionally good with the entire call, reasonably price and they made us feel so confident. Very much appreciated.

Description of Work
They did a air-conditioning call.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for the kind words. Your time and efforts are appreciated.

01/26/2021

Joe S.

They were great company. They came here was outstanding, they were quick, they understood what I was looking for, they got the problem and fixed it. He knew what was the problem, what was needed to be done, their price was reasonable and I would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
They fixed my furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much. Glad you were happy with our services.

Elizabeth L.

Guardian Heating and Cooling were professional, friendly, on time and knowledgeable each time they came out. We especially appreciated the service in November due to Thanksgiving being the next day. I would definitely recommend their services to all my family and friends.

Description of Work
Replaced water heater (Sept 2017) and Misc repair to heating unit (Nov 2020).

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

[Member Name Removed], thank you for the endorsement. We are also glad your Thanksgiving wasn't disturbed. Thank you for the review.

Dawn T.

Went off without a hitch. Product is great and the install team was timely, respectful and professional. Will definitely use Guardian for future HVAC needs.

Description of Work
Ductless HVAC system

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

[Member Name Removed], I think you'll absolutely love the quiet and efficient heating and cooling your new mini-split will provide for many years to come. Thanks for the review.

Mark J K.

We've never been dissatisfied with Guardian. They have always provided efficient and affordable on-time service.

Description of Work
Guardian has provided all of our HVAC Service needs over the past 20+ years.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

You've been a maintenance plan member for many many years and we appreciate you very much! Thank you for the kind words.

Nora H.

Getting a new furnace/ air conditioner was a great experience. The price was good, the service guys were prompt , respectful and above all, knowledgeable. They got the job done quickly and even cleaned up after they were done. We also had an air filter installed to keep my family safer. I recommend Guardian to everyone that needs heating or air help. Great job Guardian!

Description of Work
New heat and air

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thanks for the review, [Member Name Removed]. I think you'll have many years of dependable, comfortable, and efficient heating and cooling ahead of you. Thanks again!

01/20/2021

Michael S.

Excellent. Owner's unit and two rental units - all done professionally, on time, on budget. Bob and Andrea Lange (owners) are incredibly prompt, reliable and a pleasure to work with. I don't use anyone else for HVAC.

Description of Work
whole house hvac (3 total)

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking time out of your day for the review and glad your experiences have been positive.

01/07/2021

Ellen D.

It went terribly wrong. I’ve used them for close to 20 years and my parents used them for several years before that. They installed the heater a little over 2 years ago and it was working fine until last week. They sent out someone at 12:30 last Monday afternoon. He couldn’t find the problem so at 3:30 another employee came but he couldn’t figure out the problem. At 5:30 Jasper, who I understand is part owner, arrived (with no mask on, possibly jeopardizing my health and also his employee’s health) and figured out the problem. It wasn’t the water heater itself but the gas pressure. He told me to call People’s Gas and tell them that there isn’t enough gas pressure, plus that I also smell gas. I called People’s Gas and they said that they’d try and send someone out as soon as possible. Jasper left at 6:15. People’s Gas said that everyone had to leave the premises due to a possible gas leak. My tenant, her son and cat had to go over to her mother’s house and I stood outside in the freezing cold. The first employee, Armando, (who was the most professional in the bunch) saw me standing outside shivering and invited me to sit with him in his truck. We waited for over two hours for People’s Gas to arrive and this was an emergency call! They arrived at 8:30 and remained until 11:00 pm when they finally completed the work. You would think that someone would’ve called the next day to see how I was doing or to apologize for all of the problems, but no, nothing. I’ve recommended Guardian Heating many times over the years, with my neighbor using them just recently. I will never use them again.

Description of Work
My water heater wasn’t working so that came to find the source of the problem.

Category water heater repair

We have tried several times to reach out to you. We would really like to hear about this experience. Our office manager Andrea will personally see to it that any and all of your issues are addressed. If there are areas of our company needing improvement we certainly would like to learn from your experiences. as a customer. You have been a customer for many years and we try our best to make sure every experience is a great one. Sounds as if we failed for you and I apologize on behalf of our company. If you wish to talk about it Andrea can be reached at 773-763-9224

09/13/2018

Kenneth M.

It went well. I've been using them for the past 30 years. I'd recommend them. They are very professional, on time, do a great job, are very responsive and fairly priced.

Description of Work
They serviced my air conditioning unit.

08/30/2018

Sunipa K.

Scheduler was very friendly and honest about when we'd actually have someone come out. The tech was prompt, did the work quickly, helped explain the situation and suggested some ways to improve the condition of the units. Overall very pleased!

Description of Work
Repair on Fujitsu Wall Unit

02/20/2018

Jana A.

Crew arrived on time and completed the job in a timely manner. Crew was courteous and professional.

Description of Work
Replaced two furnaces

12/24/2017

Kevin D.

WONDERFUL! I couldn't ask for better service. The part was blown, but the technician thought it might be under warranty. He called the manufacturer to check and indeed it was. This save me at least $1,500. The part was ordered and the estimate for the labor was $1,800. After getting back to the office, I received a call that the part was actually in their warehouse and I could get it installed ASAP. A team of two came out the next day and working on a snowy roof installed the part in almost half the time. My final bill came to $1395.00, well under the $1,800 I was quoted. All and all I was out of heat for about less than 36 hours. I really appreciate the urgency of the Guardian team to get my heat up and running during the cold. Coming in under estimate was a pleasant bonus. I've always used Guardian (as does every other unit in my building) and this just proved our faith is warranted.

Description of Work
On the first cold day of the season, I woke up to my air ducts blowing cold air. The heat worked the night before so I knew something was wrong. I called Guardian (who I use for all my HVAC needs) and they sent someone out right away. It turns out the heating coils on my rooftop heating/cooling unit cracked and needed to be replaced.

12/24/2017

Kevin D.

Guardian came out and fixed the problem quickly and the heat was back on in no time.

Description of Work
Heat stopped working! Needed new blower

07/31/2017

MARCIA D.

I CALLED SEVERAL COMPANIES WHO CLAIMED THEY DID NOT SERVICE MY AREA GUARDIAN WAS ONE OF THEM BUT WHEN I WAS RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS I CALLED BACK AND THEY MADE AN EXCEPTION. VERY PLEASED NO PROBLEMS AS OF YET IN FACT SOMETIMES I GET TO COLD.

Description of Work
REMOVED OLD AIR CONDITIONER UNIT AND INSTALLED NEW AC.

01/23/2017

James S.

It took 2 weeks. The workers were great.

Description of Work
Installed HVAC system and a water heater.

12/28/2016

Ben B.

Great experience. Our furnace wasn't working well and hadn't been serviced in a couple of years. I called the company on a cold day after trying a few other companies who could not do a same-day appointment. Guardian was able to get me in same-day and the tech was actually available sooner than the original estimate. The guy who came to service my furnace was great - very knowledgeable, friendly and professional. He fixed our issues and got our furnace working like new, plus gave me some tips on what to look for when we buy a new place in the spring. This will be my go-to company for HVAC from now on.

Description of Work
Furnace service

10/17/2016

Cheryl C.

Max was very nice and did a good job! He knows his stuff.

Description of Work
Boiler cleaning and check up.

09/22/2015

Thomas Z.

The offer to replace the unit made sense due to how old the unit is I suppose. It is 20 years old. Where things went wrong was to tell me they are not the cheapest and then he over quoted the size I needed which was 2.5 x the BTU's needed for my unit. The price quoted for oversized unit - commercial grade $6585! Commercial grade was recommended so he doesn't have to come out and service the unit in the future. I wonder about the BTU's. Quoted 75,000 BTU's.......what I need, 30,000. Math is square footage multiple by 25. My quote had zero calculations. Just big numbers and nothing else. Being dishonest does not win you business nor recommendations to friends or family. What a rip off and glad I am getting additional quotes.

Description of Work
Checked HVAC and determined that the fix would lack logic so he stated we should replace the entire unit.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

[member name removed], I apologize for your experience, and I think there is a misunderstanding on your quote.The quote was for furnace and a/c replacement. 75,000 BTU heating and 30,000 BTU cooling. We did not quote you commercial size equipment as we are a residential company. If you would like to discuss your experience with our company please call the office at 773-763-9224. Thank You, Andrea

03/24/2015

Roberta S.

We always write reviews for people we got in Angie's List.

Description of Work
I used Guardian Heating & Cooling Service for our heating.

01/08/2015

Brian C.

It went very well. They showed up early, worked hard when they were here, and cleaned up when they left. I was very happy with their work.

Description of Work
They installed a new furnace, A/C, and ducting. They basically redid our entire HVAC system.

05/20/2014

Richard R.

Guardian has been taking care of our HVAC since moved into our house a year and a half ago. The technician who comes outis always very thorough and careful and gives me full rundown when complete. They fixed an issue with the furnace that had been happening that, being inexperienced, did not know wasn't normal. He replaced it on the spot and has worked like a charm ever since. They are always very friendly and were very accommodating when I had last minute schedule change. It was a real pleasure finding this company on the first try. I don't honestly know if their prices arecomparable to others, but I can say for sure that I feel we get great value for what they charge, especially if you do a multi-year agreement. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
HVAC inspection and maintenance.

03/14/2014

Edward M.

Provider diagnosed root cause of intermittent heat as insufficient airflow due to vent pipes being too small. Replaced pipes to increase diameter and reduce turns, thereby increasing airflow. No problems since work completed.

Description of Work
Replace furnace venting PVC.

POWER 24/7 HEATING & COOLING

We specialize in all phases of heating and cooling services, installs, repairs, maintenance, and more! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! We also accept Zelle and AngiPay, in addition to cash and checks. Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

Award 2022
    All Temp Heating & Air Conditioning

All Temp is one of Chicago's Award Winning heating, cooling and home comfort company. We provide top-notch sales, service, repair and maintenance at the most competitive prices. We are family-owned since 1938 with more than 85 employees and we do not use sub-contractors. Always feel free to call us with your questions or for sales and service. We provide a free in-home estimate should you need a new a/c, furnace or boiler. We can be reached at 1-800-All-Temp or 773-481-2000 for more information. We are at your service 24/7. Ask for Mike Clark, Erin Wayda or Rick Jacobs. See our website for additional service area.

Award 2022
    Offers by All Temp Heating & Air Conditioning on Angi
    American Weathermakers

Six-Time Super Service Award Winner! Our Guarantee: If you have no heat, we'll be at your home within 60 minutes or we'll give you a $60 gift card good for any repair (must mention at time of scheduling). American Weathermakers is a family-owned business that has been servicing residential Chicago-land customers since 1949. We design, service and install numerous types of HVAC systems for new and regular customers every day. At American Weathermakers, we pride ourselves in being the most thorough, trained and technologically advanced group of HVAC professionals in the Chicago area. Our customers rely on us to be candid, transparent and affordable all while successfully creating and maintaining a comfortable, energy efficient, and safe environment in their homes. Comfort Club Membership is available. The benefits include discounts on tune-ups and repairs, automatic scheduling for tune-ups, extended warranties on most repairs and priority emergency service. These benefits are designed for you to save money on heating and air conditioning costs. We are ready right now to help you maintain and service your HVAC system without any hassles or hidden costs. Contact us today. The American Weathermakers professionals on staff can explain more about our services, what you can expect from our company and the benefits of joining the Comfort Club. We mean it when we say that we won’t be comfortable until you are. Let us get your HVAC system up and running so you and your family are comfortable through the rest of winter and into another Chicago summer. Additional phone: 855-955-4822 or 847-509-7777

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
    City Of Chicago
    12/15/2022
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check
    30% off with repair

Water heaters, Heating & AC, Radiant Boilers, Ductless Mini-Splits, Ductwork, Humidifiers, Air Cleaners, U.V. Lights, Media air cleaners, Rooftop units, Package units, High-Velocity units, Unico, Steam boilers, Water boilers, Electronic air cleaners, Thermostats, Smart thermostat, Ecobee, Snowmelt, Steam humidifiers, Zoning.