Frank's Carpentry & More

Founded 1980 • With Angi since August 2009

4051 N. KILBOURN

Chicago, IL 60641

CARPENTRY/ELECTRICAL/PLUMBING AND MORE!!!FRANKS CARPENTRY AND MORE is a small company that still takes pride in customer satisfaction and a job well done.We offer a one year warranty on all labor.We have been in business for 25yrs and still give the client that personal touch. We do whatever it takes to make sure the client is happy with the finished product.No job too small or too big. . We offer 24hr emergency service,10% off labor for first time ANGIE'S LIST clients and 10% off labor for seniors. We are located on the north side of Chicago at 4051 N. Kilbourn. (773) 454-8482...

08/30/2010

Donald V.

HE DID NOT CALL BACK - no response from this carpenter. He does not return calls!

Description of Work
Called, left voice message with interest in having a wall set-back about 5 or 6 inches behind the space for a new/deeper refrig. involving the demolition of the old wall; for the new wall, framing, rewiring electrical and plumbing for the new refrig, tiling of the new floor space, sanding and priming of the new wall and finally painting the same. HE DID NOT CALL BACK - no response from this carpenter.

Category contractors,ceramic tile,drywall,electrician,handyman service,heating & air conditioning/hvac,plumbing,woodworking,home remodeling,interior painters

07/25/2010

Julie P.

Great. Frank arrived on time, and hung the box. Then, it needed some adjustments and he gladly made the adjustments. He ended up spending about twice as long on the project as he thought. I offered him more money, but he only charged me the amount that he had quoted me.

Description of Work
I had a large window box that I wanted to have hung outside some windows on the first floor of my house. Frank was flexible with his normal work hours and his rate. (He came over on a Saturday morning, and since it was expected to be a quick job, he gave me a bit of discount over his usually hourly rate.)

06/26/2010

PETER R.

The short version: We hired Frank to remove, replace, and paint water-damaged portions of a wall and ceiling because of his low price and strong reviews. However, he abandoned the project before finishing the (sloppy) paint job. Even worse, he talked me into giving him most of his payment before finishing, and even though he repeatedly promised to return and properly finish the job, he stopped returning my calls and we haven't heard from him for over 3 weeks. The more detailed version: A leak in our neighbor's porch had caused extensive water damage to our ceiling and an adjacent wall. Once the porch was repaired, we found Frank's Carpentry on Angie's List. Things seemed to start out well: Frank gave us a very good price to remove the water-damaged parts of the ceiling and wall, replace the drywall, tape, sand, prep, and paint. It wasn't the lowest estimate we obtained--but he seemed enthusiastic to have our business, repeating several times that he wanted to give us a good price and complete everything to our satisfaction, so we hired him, paying half of the agreed-upon price in advance. Because much of the work was to be done over an area that was about 20 feet high, he built a platform that was screwed into the surrounding walls, assuring us that he'd patch and paint those walls as well once the rest of the work was done. The removal of the drywall and insulation went a bit more slowly than we expected, spread out over a couple of days, but the man he'd hired to do the work was friendly and conscientious. Installing the new insulation and drywall seemed to go well, taking another couple of days. That left the painting, which was to be completed the next day (Saturday). Frank and his workers were clearly anxious to finish that day, though he again assured me he'd make sure we were completely satisfied with their work. When they were nearly finished in the early afternoon, he asked if I could give him the final half of the payment immediately, as the bank was going to close soon. I got the impression he might have difficulty paying his workers on time, and he seemed sincere, so I wrote him a check for much (but fortunately not all) of the final half. This was a mistake. Frank and his crew told us they were done with the painting, and dismantled the platform he'd built. As they were cleaning up, my wife and I took a closer look at the paint job, and found it to be pretty sloppy. The edge between the ceiling and surrounding walls was not straight; Frank said that's because it would have taken longer to tape the edges, and since he wanted to finish up that day, he didn't think it was worth it. We disagreed, since it was a pretty jarring difference from the rest of the room and looked ragged. He said he'd come back to redo the edges (as well as the patching and painting where the platform had been) in a couple of days, but he was clearly upset and reluctant, even slamming the door when he left. Upon further inspection, the paint job proved to be even worse than we'd realized. There were multiple scratches and gouges on walls they hadn't even been working on. The baseboard along the freshly painted wall had paint spilled on it and drywall mud caked on. Many portions of the wall, especially near the ceiling, were discolored and clearly needed a second coat of paint. There were obvious smudges where the workers had touched or leaned against the wet paint. Whole portions of the wall had bubbled and/or blistered where the patching hadn't been allowed to dry sufficiently. And the cleanup was cursory at best; I spent 40 minutes sweeping and picking up after they left. Frank remained in contact with us, and although he made his reluctance clear, he said he'd return and finish. A few days later, he showed up with a helper, but the ladder he brought was too big; he said he'd return in a day or so with the right ladder. We pointed out all of the other problems we'd noticed, and he agreed that his painters had done a sloppy job. That's the last we heard from him. While he'd been excellent about answering or returning my calls previously, he now didn't answer or return any of my calls. I remained polite in my voicemail messages, even suggesting that we were worried for him since we hadn't heard back from him - but to no avail. As you can no doubt tell from this lengthy review, we were far from satisfied with Frank's work. Given the copious lip service he paid to customer satisfaction, he was extraordinarily unprofessional once it became clear he'd need to do more than a little touch-up work to properly finish the job. I'm sure it didn't help that he'd already received most of his payment - which it's now obvious was a very bad decision on my part. Beyond his abandoning of the job, his refusal to simply return any of my phone calls or explain his unwillingness to complete the job as promised spoke to his lack of professionalism. Good price or no, I simply cannot recommend Frank's Carpentry.

Description of Work
Removal and disposal of drywall and insulation from water-damaged ceiling and wall; installation of new insulation and drywall; prepping, priming, and painting drywall (though the painting was never actually completed).

Category drywall,handyman service,water damage restoration,interior painters

06/14/2010

JANET C.

Frank and a helper put supplemental joists in the garage and trussed them to the roof rafters. He took about three hours to complete the job. The price included the lumber and joiners. He came when he said he would and completed the job promptly for the price quoted.

Description of Work
My old frame garage was in danger of collapsing. I hired Frank to stabilize the structure.

06/01/2010

Richard D.

Came by about a week earlier to give an estimate. Recognized our needs quickly and gave an oral estimate. I called him back a few days later to see when he could get to it, and he was very accommodating in getting it done within a timeframe we had in conjunction with some other household work we had under way. The estimated amount, though not written, was honored.

Description of Work
Removed ceiling whole-house fan and created attic hatch for easier access to attic.

Category handyman service,woodworking

05/21/2010

Pam O.

It went well, although it took longer than I had anticipated. I didn't realize the amount of work involved. Frank took my suggestions and he offered good ideas and solutions. He happily came back to fix an area I didn't like. The job was completed to by satisfaction.

Description of Work
Originally, Frank was hired to help with a carpenter ant problem. But we discovered there was no problem, but windows were rotted, I asked him to replace the windows, close up one window, install insulation, wallboard and window trim both inside and out. In addition, new cedar siding was needed in one area.

Category custom cabinets,handyman service,remodeling

05/06/2010

LAURA D.

Frank was responsive in coming out for an estimate; he discussed options and explained his recommended course of action including timeline; he fixed it in a timely fashion as promised. Overall a great experience. I would use him again for other carpentry work and will try his expertise as a plumber.

Description of Work
Our fence blew over from strong winds. Frank grounded the fence and bolstered it for a band-aid fix since we didn't want to spend the money to replace the entire section.

Category fencing,handyman service

04/30/2010

MIKE W.

Franks was very professional. He spoke with me about the problem a bit over the phone and made a ballpark estimate as to what it might cost. He and his assistant showed up on time and worked hard to correct the problem. Took both cabinets off the wall and put them back up properly, with the correct screws - even setting a couple screws into the concrete ceiling for extra measure. He worked quickly and the job was completed in about half the time I expected. Also, his fee was less than half of what I was expecting. I am confident now that the cabinets are installed correctly.

Description of Work
Two kitchen wall cabinets that were improperly installed originally were taken down and re-hung.

Category handyman service,woodworking

04/10/2010

Howard C.

The work was done in one day. Frank called to confirm the day before the appointment, showed up on time, worked quickly and efficiently, cleaned up after the project. Throughout the project, he checked to be sure that he was doing what was expected and that I was satisfied. A positive experience!

Description of Work
Customized four windows to accept window airconditioners.

03/08/2010

Dave B.

Frank did a great job. Completing the installs required additional trips to the hardware store and assistance from one of his workers, but he did what it took to get the job done right. Very professionl, on time and neat.

Description of Work
Frank purchased and installed one set of closet doors and purchased new mounting hardware and rehung another set of closet doors for us and fixed a clasp on another storage door.

Category handyman service,doors

PHD Heating and Cooling

Our distinction is, we offer the highest quality of installation, service & repair for Air Conditioning, Furnaces, Water Heaters & Boilers. We use proven equipment. Accurate knowledge of our trade combined with ability is what makes us true professionals. We provide Adorable Price, Professional Installation, Expirienced service and Warranty. I am excited to tell you about myself and my company PHD H.V.A.C. I am originally from Ukraine. I attended one of the best universities in the Ukraine – Polytechnic National University. I earned my PhD in Technical Sciences, and became a professor and lecturer there. This is why I am called the “Professor Of Heating & Air Conditioning”. During that time, I started “Phaeton HVAC”. For many years, we installed & repaired high quality heating and cooling equipment. After running a successful business in Ukraine, I came to the United States and opened my new company, here, in Chicago! I have been a licensed HVAC contractor, here, for over 10 years. I am happy to be here and to offer my services and expertise. I take pride in my experience and knowledge. We offer the highest quality installation with proven equipment. You can relax, knowing that you will receive the best service, reliability and safety. All of my work is guaranteed & insured. All of my technicians are experienced journeymen & professional installers. Once you experience the high level of quality I offer, I know you will be satisfied with my service. I am looking forward to helping you with all your HVAC needs and having you as a customer and friend. Whether you need to repair or install a new your AC, furnace, boiler, water heater, mini-split system, Tankless (High Efficiency) Water Heater or Tankless (High Efficiency) Boiler, or have other urgent HVAC issues, we can help you achieve whole home comfort without any hassle on your part. As a family owned and operated business from the beginning, we guarantee personalized service and quality workmanship.

DSY Construction Inc

We are a full-service general construction company with a wide range of experience from remodeling to construction, and have been serving Chicagoland area for over 10 years. We can help you with all aspects of home projects from those small handyman projects to home additions and everything else in between, whatever it might be. Whether it’s, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, custom cabinets, tilling or HVAC repair or installation, we can even help you with design and blue prints of your new space. Give us a call or send us an email with your request.

RICE MASONRY CONST CO INC

Owner operated with 39 yrs of restoration and new construction experience. I personally oversee all projects,no subcontractors. We perform outstanding quality work, we are OSHA safety certified. and have the best guarantee in the industry. Rice masonry is a fully licensed and insured masonry and tuckpointing company with 10 highly skilled employees

Check, Discover, Visa

Rough & finished carpentry,rough and finish electrical,rough and finish plumbing, handyman, home repair & full service remodeling.

HVAC,MASONRY