Jon Gross Building Arts

Founded undefined • With Angi since August 2016

Award winning degreed landscape designer with over 34 years industry experience specializing in custom landscape design, planning and consultation. Whether seeking help in just a design role or need construction planning and/or consultation, Jon Gross Building Arts will provide exceptional service at every phase of your landscaping project....

A Service Provider's profile image

+20 more images

hardscaping (31)lawn & landscaping (25)mulch delivering (16)Patios (13)landscape lighting (12)architect (12)stone & gravel (12)excavating (8)decks & porches (7)irrigation system (4)tree service (3)fence company (3)

06/19/2022

Chantel E.

Jon is AMAZING!!! There is a difference between “installers” and true landscapers! Jon has a vision that he can bring to reality! Our best decision choosing Jon for our project!!

Description of Work
Front Yard Landscaping

Category concrete repair, excavators, landscaping, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/19/2022

Review for Jon Gross Building Arts - 312 Tiffany Ct., Champaign, IL - 39771550

04/07/2022

Bob D.

Years of overgrowth and a few missed opportunities left us scratching our heads after moving into a house with a sunken garden / walkout basement patio. Good referrals for Jon sparked an on-site ideation session and it was clear he had both the vision and the skillsets to transform our space. The project was massive and ended up being multiple phases; which Jon did forecast in those initial meetings. We began talking at the height of the pandemic, so flexibility and patience was key to mutual success. We're glad we collaborated so heavily through all the phases! It's now a super special, unique space that seems like it's always been there! List of projects embedded in the phases: new retention wall, excavation behind existing walls, excavation of bottom level and regrade, brick + flagstone patio, custom pergola, stone and walkway lighting, new patio on upper level, serving table, additional staircase, fire pit, planters with topsoil and mushroom compost, trees and shrubs, downspout extensions, regraded and relaid flagstone walkway from drive/lane.

Description of Work
Sunken Garden/Patio Remodel

Category excavators, landscaping, masonry, mulch, pavers, gravel, fireplaces, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 08/01/2021

Review for Jon Gross Building Arts - 312 Tiffany Ct., Champaign, IL - 39688482

I was honored to have been involved in this young families home renovation project. What they and most people identified as negatives I was able to turn into a positive and along with a creative drainage solution we now have almost doubled this ranch houses usable functional entertaining space. Turning all the negatives into positives and going with "The Ruins" design theme was really challenging and rewarding for everyone involved.

04/12/2021

Tabbey C.

We are very pleased with the work Jon did on our front and back yard. He is a very creative professional and had a great vision for paying homage to our 100-year-old home with classic landscaping. He came up with an incredible, detailed plan that would make our yard functional and beautiful, and was willing to work with us in phases to achieve that plan. We have only been through phase one, but the improvement to our yard is already night and day! We were grateful for his expertise, creativity, and knowledge of local plants. He and his crew were very diligent and completed our project within the time frame we expected. This was our first landscaping project, so we learned we needed to be more communicative about the budget to keep the project within scope. Because we opted for a few more expensive trees and bushes, our project ended up costing more than we had initially agreed upon. Nonetheless, we felt like we got our money's worth for this project and were pleased with what Jon had accomplished.

Description of Work
Removing outdated, unkempt landscaping and putting in flower beds, flowering bushes, and privacy hedges in front and back yards.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch

Work Completed On 08/05/2020

Yes indeed [Member Name Removed] this was a fine example of a landscape front yard refresh and privacy screen green wall back yard improvement. Thanks for phase one investment and look forward to the patio/ grill area on phase two.

03/02/2021

Eleni M.

John did a great job with our front yard. Every neighbor asks who did our yard and gives us compliments on how nice it looks. More importantly we really enjoy this space now; it is very beautiful and relaxing. He does top notch work.

Description of Work
landscaping, pavers, lighting, handrails, custom bench

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 03/02/2021

Great front walk, landscaping, lighting remodel. Reset the front after years of inproperly burried layers of landscaping. Fresh start not over designed and tasteful landscape that looks like it belongs to this property...hurray!

02/23/2021

Mike W.

Jon tore out old landscaping that was overgrown or dead, redid the lighting and irrigation, did some major paving to enlarge the front porch and connected the driveway to the front sidewalk with brick pavers and then planted several new plants with various flower options to last most of the year. He also built and installed a 3 stage trellis in the front of the house that is stunning. He did a wonderful job and we have had many compliments from friends and neighbors. We would recommend him to anyone looking to upgrade their property.

Description of Work
landscaping,irrigation, lighting,paving

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 08/01/2020

Yes Mr. [Member Name Removed] accurately summarized this project. When spring arrives we will submit fresh pictures for review..Thank you Mr. And Mrs. [Member Name Removed]...

11/29/2020

Geniel G.

I feel like my house got a facelift and Jon Gross was the architect. The porch looks timeless, like it has always been there and the ramp is unobtrusive. The whole house has a fresh look with the new entrance and lighting. At first I thought the project was too pricey, but I picked expensive pavers and Jon worked with me on the price. I am so happy with the outcome. Just goes to show you get what you pay for.

Description of Work
front porch with ramp

Category decks, architect, hardscaping, outdoor lighting

Work Completed On 11/29/2020

Thank you [Member Name Removed] it was my pleasure. You helped pick the right materials and we were able to update the front with classic cobbler look...super fun

09/09/2020

Rob M.

Jon worked closely with us to make sure that we stayed within budget and were happy with the results. He encouraged us to visit nurseries to get inspiration as well as examine specimens he had chosen for our yard. Jon provided a great balance between our wishes and his experienced eye for design making sure we were involved in every stage of the process.

Description of Work
Frontyard needed landscaping including removing the old and installing a new stone border, burying downspouts, sod work around an existing tree, as well as transplanting old and planting new specimens. The backyard required a stone border around existing concrete patio, as well as new plantings to act as a property screen. Patio work required some excavation to regrade the slope around the concrete slab.

Category excavators, landscaping, mulch, pavers, gravel, tree service, architect, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 09/08/2020

Review for Jon Gross Building Arts - 312 Tiffany Ct., Champaign, IL - 38860695

Our pleasure to do this renovation on referral from Mr. .[Member Name Removed]'s mothers property. Nice simple front yard landscape. Appreciate opportunity so much to get into your subdivision.

06/16/2020

Jay H.

The new patio and fence are beautiful. Excellent, very artistic design. Jon listened to our ideas and added some of his own. Jon and his crew worked hard.

Description of Work
New patio, decking-material steps, privacy fence with gate, plus some landscaping.

Category fencing, landscaping, pavers, gravel, architect, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 06/15/2020

05/25/2020

Richard W.

Jon's landscaping surpassed our expectations. His vision, attention to detail, flexibility, and ongoing communication resulted in a cozy, beautiful patio, a new drainage system, and an artistic dry creek bed to channel away heavy rains. We recommend him highly for your landscaping needs.

Description of Work
Install new patio and improve backyard drainage.

Category architect, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 05/15/2020

04/07/2020

Marc B.

Jon and his crew did a tremendous job repairing and rebuilding a portion of my retaining wall that is made out of flat stones. They also dug up and moved two fence posts that had shifted and become problematic. In addition to performing the agreed-upon work, Jon and his guys went above and beyond the call of duty by leveling out low spots in my back yard and on the side of the house to improve drainage. Jon gave a thorough explanation of what needed to be done and how he would do it. The work was completed on schedule and I am very please with the results.

Description of Work
I needed to have a retaining wall and a fence rebuilt/repaired.

Category concrete repair, fencing, landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 04/01/2020

Repaired a natural dry stacked stone retaining wall originally built by others too tall and improperly backfilled creating a hydraulic pressure behind original wall. We removed existing wall required to rebuild a proper footing and leveled new wall with mortar and proper drainage behind to increase drainage and reduce hydraulic pressure. Repaired wall sure to last a very long time now with no trouble. Thanks Mr. [Member Name Removed] for allowing us to do our job and get the wall repair done right.

04/06/2020

Mark P.

We couldn't be happier with the work Jon and his crew did for us! From the beginning, Jon sat down with us and shared with us his vision for what our front yardscape could become. He designed and created a front patio and sitting wall with lighting that met and surpassed our expectations. It provides the perfect place for us to sit and enjoy the neighborhood, and feel more at home. A beautiful cedar trellis accents one side of the house, and shrubs were placed to provide the right balance and color needed. Jon cares about his work, and it showed in his attitude, and the little touches he added to the project. We highly recommend him.

Description of Work
front yard makeover

Category mulch, hardscaping, outdoor lighting

Work Completed On 04/06/2020

10/23/2019

Ali G.

Terrible. I called and emailed him several times(regarding the grading of my yard), and he never got back to me.

Description of Work
Fixing the Grade of my yard

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/29/2019

Yes indeed after some research we did one passed over e-mail that should have been returned. We strive hard for our A rating and at minimum this homeowner deserved a call back. The service this homeowner requested is one that we do not provide though at minimum a return call should have been obliged.

09/09/2019

Donna M.

Jon Gross has just completed work in my yard. He is creative, imaginative and is willing to work with materials in the existing landscape to create a new, fresh look. The project involved removing overgrown and poorly placed shrubs, some new hardscape, and selected smaller plants to complete the look. That was just the front yard. As for the back yard, several older shrubs were removed, some were reshaped and in general, spaces were redesigned to create a more interesting look. I could not be more pleased with the work done.

Description of Work
Redo of front yard landscape and huge cleanup in back yard.

Category excavators, landscaping, mulch, hardscaping

Work Completed On 12/10/2019

06/10/2019

Patty C.

Jon has been wonderful to work with. When I first met him for a consultation, I knew that I wanted to work with him because of his design sense. He had other clients contracted before me, but he was worth the wait. Jon's attention to detail really makes the design come alive. He does not cut corners. Jon answered all of my questions throughout the whole project. The deck was installed in late November/December 2018. The courtyard was installed in Spring 2019. Jon also built a trellis, bench, and a 6x6 foot planter with a cap for seating. Lighting was installed and the courtyard is very inviting at night as well as day time. Jon helped me pick out some of the plants and his team installed them. Our gutters were rerouted to correct some problems. I look forward to working with Jon on future projects. We have people commenting daily on our beautiful front landscaping.

Description of Work
We had a front deck and courtyard installed as well as landscaping and lighting.

Category decks, excavators, landscaping, mulch, pavers, gravel, architect, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 04/30/2019

02/15/2019

Chris W.

Jon and his team reworked a large part of the yard that was flooding. They built a beautiful wall and expanded the size of my yard in so doing. Jon created a "river bed" that helps the draining water, then leveled out another area with a support wall and buried a gutter which now drains properly into the storm sewer. Wow! A fantastic solution. Oh, and did I mention he picked up and planted a rather large magnolia tree AND planted a flowing cherry that I purchased on short notice? Jon and his crew are the most professional, hard-working team that I have worked with in Champaign-Urbana. I am posting a before and after photo of two places in my yard, the first when the wall was nearing completion; the second, in the opposite corner, near the storm drain shortly after the project was done. I hope someone reviewing can interpret Thank you Jon!

Description of Work
I needed a solution to a large amount of water moving from neighbors' yards, through my yard to a drainage well.

Category excavators, landscaping, mulch, pavers, gravel, tree service, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/15/2018

Review for Jon Gross Building Arts - 312 Tiffany Ct., Champaign, IL - 37714990

Thanks [Member Name Removed] so much. She is right. Drainage is one of the biggest concerns both affecting the health of the yard and the integrity of the home. Most often overlooked by builders as it seems most of their work stops at the front door. We install Downspouts, Drain Tiles, French Drains, Surface Grate Drains for both yards and hardscape surfaces, and of coarse finish grading and lawn renovation. Look forward to your screen porch build [Member Name Removed] and Thanks again so very much, Jon

01/06/2019

ashley M.

5 stars: creativity, design, quality, communication 4 stars: project length, “on the fly” decisions This is going to be a lengthy review. My husband and I have wanted an outdoor space and outdoor kitchen for years. Early in the year, we reached out to four landscape architects and met with three. We had a strong vision of what we wanted when we met with each. Jon was the only one who seemed to listen, understand the design, flow, function, and budget we were seeking, and not push us in a different direction. He took the time to look at our home and our furnishings, to get to know our tastes, and to design with that in mind. We went through multiple design drafts until we settled on the perfect look and design we wanted. He was up front with us about how decisions we made would affect our budget, while being extremely conscious to stay within the number we gave him. There were many instances where it seemed as though we both compromised with the end result being the best result. And that, coupled with his creativity and knowledge produced an unbelievable outdoor space. While his creativity and architectural design is phenomenal, Jon’s workmanship is the most impressive. From start to finish, his work was top notch. Jon was present, on site, every day. He cut every board, placed and mortared each stone, and put time and thought into each detail. As our project dragged on, his quality never compromised. I had a list of details for Jon to address toward the end and before I even mentioned them to him, he took care of them because he had a list too. The biggest drawback to Jon’s meticulous nature is that it added a significant amount of time to the project. Fortunately we were not in a hurry, as we wanted something that would last for many years, but I am giving him four stars for project length, as it took quite a bit longer to complete. Jon communicated well throughout the whole project. My husband and I joked about our weekly meetings, but they were crucial. As more of a planner type person, there were a few “on the fly” decisions we had to make than I personally wanted, but the integrity and design were never compromised. Jon communicated well through each one, listened to our ideas and concerns. We often had to go back and forth to land where we wanted, and sometimes Jon needed the night to think about it, but only once did a portion of the project move forward without everyone being aligned. When we selected Jon as our landscape architect, we knew the design would morph as he went along. He was always thinking of small improvements or new ways to tackle the issue of the day. He also experimented with us, doing his first ever stainless steel and cedar pergola. For us, it all paid off as we now have a unique, functional, and gorgeous outdoor space that is the envy of all of our family and friends.

Description of Work
Outdoor living space

Category decks, landscaping, architect, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 07/09/2018

Yes this project was unique in every way. Note just a deck, not just a patio, and not much of any regular back yard space. [Member Name Removed] wanted a cohesive design and a few special items found on Pinterest which I was willing to take on for a first time. The custom Steel and Cedar Shade structure over the Granite Kitchen Area and a real stone vaulted pier with built in smoker was a fun challenge and though much reliance on third party suppliers slowed the process I explained the finish would be well worth the wait. No compromises and some patient homeowners turned out a living space to be proud of that will last for a very long time. Nice to have a low maintenance space to entertain that will structural last generations. Fabrication of special structures done in a manner to last such as powder coating steel instead of plain painting and custom limestone caps for smoker did take time to get from manufacturers but better to get it right than go a cheaper lower quality build that wont hold up over time. I also had fun custom welding a lighted backrest for deck bench that made that whole space. Didn't charge them for the custom work on that bench but Mr. [Member Name Removed] loved it so much he couldn't let me go without paying for it. Such a pleasure to work for such good people. Glad they made such great final decisions and we finished such a beautiful space. Thanks so much [Member Name Removed] and [Member Name Removed] and thank you for reading this review and response!

10/14/2018

Allison O.

It was such a pleasure to work with Jon on this project and see our vision come to life. He is an extraordinary designer with experience that we valued deeply. We started working with Jon in the winter of 2018 to develop a plan for two areas in our backyard: (1) steps surrounding a deck and pond with additional flagstone pavers, and the big project (2) reconstructing our walk out basement space with retaining walls, a floating bench, and steps to lead up to the rest of the yard. Construction started in early summer of 2018 and he was out there everyday battling constant rain to ensure the project got done on time. The care and detail that Jon puts into every aspect of the project truly feels like he's creating something for his own home. We always felt that he had our best interest in mind and was not going to cut any corners. The finished project is absolutely stunning. From the detail in the overall design and unique angles of the walls to the bamboo floating bench and matching privacy fence above, we love every aspect of this space and know it was built to last. We look forward to calling on Jon for any future landscape building work that might come up in the future, and recommending him to everyone we know!

Description of Work
Retaining wall / steps / floating bench

Category architect, hardscaping, outdoor lighting

Work Completed On 06/01/2018

07/11/2018

Thomas S.

Jon Gross does a fantastic job, start to finish! Jon submitted plans for our three to four phase project in early December 2017. Fighting the snow and cold in the winter months and an inordinate amount of rain in the early spring, he admirably persevered to finish the work on deadline. The finished product for the first three phases is beyond our expectation! Jon's eye for balance and ratio is not something easily learned; he has a natural expertise. His philosophies of "design within the natural elements" and "re-purposing and re-using" make him a conscientious steward for the planet. One of Jon's best attributes is his ability to not stay rigid with the original plan if a better alternative becomes available during construction. We look forward to working with Jon on phase four this fall!!

Description of Work
Four phase project including patio, pergola, knee wall and pool

Category decks, landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch, pavers, gravel, architect, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 12/01/2017

Thanks so much for the kind words. Yes indeed the scope of work broke down into several phases begining late fall and winter 2017. As work finished up late winter the [Member Name Removed]'s decided to keep us around through the spring to move forward towards that pool. Along the way I discovered an older sprinkler system in deperate need of some upgrades, a gutter drainage system not working correctly, several old landscapes burried inappropriately, old trees and tree roots causing much trouble, and grade issues around foundation. I was really impressed with their comitment to make the necessary corrections to this property now completely renoved in a respectable manner this yard will be much more enjoyable and much less maintenance for years to come.

06/28/2018

Joseph A.

Jon is an extraordinarily creative and skilled landscape designer. He is a pleasure to work with him. The grass in our front lawn had eroded away leaving exposed tree roots and a shaded space that would not support a lawn. He designed and implemented a very beautiful low light solution. He also installed a relatively inexpensive automatic watering system to sustain the new plants. There were unexpected obstacles that he resolved effectively and reflected his adaptability. We also had some drainage issues in the back yard. Jon rerouted the output from the downspouts underground to a different area of the yard. Jon and his staff worked very hard to realize the plan as designed.

Description of Work
Landscaping and mitigation of drainage issues

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/28/2018

05/31/2018

Chris W.

Jon was amazing. After calling other "premium" companies who seemed to think my job was too small for them (thus, couldn't see getting my project done for months), Jon responded to my email inquiry with an immediate phone call the next day. He came out and gave me an idea of what he thought possible that same day. While he had other big jobs lined up, he found a way to squeeze a week (and then some) in-between other projects to get my job done. He regraded a large portion of my back yard, lessening a significant slope, and built a wall and a drainage area, giving me much more room in my yard; he reworked the swale leading to a storm drain, adding river rock, and he reseeded the yard. He also suggested adding a walkway next to my driveway which turned out to be a great idea. Additionally, he created underground drainage from one of my gutters that was causing erosion from the rainwater, and terraced the yard coming from one side of the house that was also on a steep slope. All in all, Jon left me with an amazing template for my gardening, which I love to do. Lastly, I had found a beautiful tree at the spring University of Illinois plant sale. It turned out to be way bigger than I could transport. Not knowing who else to call, I called Jon. Although he barely knew me and had not started my project, he took time ON A SUNDAY to pick up this tree and deliver it. Without my prompting, he and his assistant returned to my home and planted it in a wonderful spot. Who does this?! Jon Gross is an incredible guy. Jon did ALL of this work for LESS than the price of one of the so-called "go to" landscapers in Champaign. Jon Gross should be who comes to mind for your "go to" landscaper. He and his able assistant, Dennis, get the job done and then some!

Description of Work
Had a drainage issue in my back yard and needed some regrading; Jon did even more.

Work Completed On 05/08/2018

04/04/2018

Jenna Z.

I contacted Jon through email and he immediately responded back and showed up to my house for a walkthrough and estimate in a timely manner. He is very knowledgable and recommended different ways for our sitting wall to stand the test of time. He also explained in depth what he would do to repair the sitting wall and what types of materials he would be using, which was very helpful because the first installers did not use the correct materials and that is why our wall started to lean and then eventually fall over. He would communicate with me after each day to let me know the progress of our job. I would definitely recommend Jon to other friends and family.

Description of Work
Repairing an existing sitting wall

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/07/2017

Review for Jon Gross Building Arts - 312 Tiffany Ct., Champaign, IL - 36954220

Thank you [Member Name Removed] Z. for the nice comments. Yes this project really involved a rebuild of existing wall constructed with no consideration for drainage conditions. A wall rebuild with some weep holes allowed for water to pass through seat wall and not under footing which is what caused the undermining and eventual structural failure. Thanks so much for the job and know that I will guarantee my work and integrity of the rebuilt wall.

01/27/2018

Gregory D.

Jon spent time with us as we described what we wanted. He was patient with us as we explained our sometimes competing objectives! The ideas he proposed were sometimes a bit outside our thought process. We saw some of his work and were sold on listening to his recommendations. Jon used our existing plants and landscaping elements, which saved some money. He worked with us and with our neighbor to create a very appealing appearance from the street. A brick/paver patio he proposed to replace the wooden deck turned out very nicely. His suggestion to remove some privacy fencing we'd had around the deck, to open the view from our patio door was a very good one. We enjoy looking out the patio door to watch the squirrels and bird. Jon used some of the fence we removed to replace the wooden gate. The design of the gate is quite appealing. We would highly recommend you consider using Jon for your work, and keep an open mind to any idea he proposes.

Description of Work
We needed landscaping done to address some drainage issues, as well as improve the look of our home. Our rear deck needed to be removed and replaced. We also had a gat for the wood fence that needed repair.

Category decks, fencing, mulch, hardscaping, driveway gates, patios

Work Completed On 01/27/2018