A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc.

Founded 1989 • With Angi since July 2007

A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc. is a family owned and operated company that has been in business since 1989. We pride our selves on great service at a fair price. At A-1 all of our technicians are certified with the Chimney Safety Institute of America, and we are fully bonded and insured. We are accredited members of the Better Business Bureau, members of the National Chimney Sweep Guild, we hold the best of Lombard award for 2012, 2013&2014 and the best of Glen Ellyn award for 2012 ....

Women Owned & OperatedWomen Owned & Operated
LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly

Gas Logs

+15 more images

4.4

chimney repair (866)chimney sweep (641)chimney cap repair (208)masonry (115)dryer vent cleaning (77)gas fireplace repair (71)fireplace services (302)air duct cleaning (13)animal removal (6)home inspection (5)HVAC Companies (2)interior painting (1)

05/09/2022

Samantha H.

Provided a nice report at the end of service to detail everything that they looked at. It even came with pictures, which makes it easy to reference. They were knowledgeable, friendly and told us what was necessary to get done, which saved us money!

Description of Work
review of chimney condition

Work Completed On 05/08/2022

05/02/2022

Matt W.

Great! The two guys showed up right on time, were polite and efficient. They also recommended ways for me to increase the look and functions of our gas fireplaces. We’ll work with them again in the future

Description of Work
cleans and inspected 2 fireplaces

Work Completed On 04/30/2022

12/31/2021

CJ H.

Requested quote on December 17, 2021. No call, no response, no action since.

Description of Work
Chimney Cap Replacement

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps

Work Completed On 12/31/2021

11/11/2021

Shavaun C.

Great!! Very honest and straight forward about what was needed and what could wait without risking safety. Definitely will use them in the future and recommend highly to neighbors, friends, and family. You get what you pay for and it’s priceless when you find a company that doesn’t try to sell you extra you don’t need, and they’re there for you when you’re in a position to add on the bells n whistles..

Description of Work
Inspection and cleaning

Work Completed On 11/11/2021

03/04/2021

Robert W.

Anthony and Rigo were very friendly, professional, and considerate. They were good about schedule notification and showed up on time. When they arrived, they explained what they were going to do very clearly. After performing their main tasks quickly and efficiently - with great concern for anything that needed to be moved and making no mess - they made a recommendation for another service based on the inspection. That service was well explained and made sense to do for the long term care of our chimney. I agreed, and they took care of it. We have used A-1 many times for fireplace set up and maintenance services, and this experience was very much in line with what we have come to expect from them.

Description of Work
Chimney/Fireplace inspection; fireplace sweep; full chimney saver application

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces, gas logs

Work Completed On 03/03/2021

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We are happy to hear that Anthony and Rigo did everything to your liking. If you have any future needs please do not hesitate to give us a call.

01/02/2021

Anastazja L.

Guy showed up to my home without a mask. I assumed it was a religious belief bc he told me he was Jewish twice. Charged me $129 to vacuum my fireplace and tell me that I have to pay $500 for him to do anything else. When I called to make the appointment..the guy who answered just made the appointment and did not ask any questions..about how long it's been since it was cleaned etc. I guess I paid $129 for the priviledge of a house call to ask me those questions in person. Do not use this company. I was ripped off..You will be too.

Description of Work
Deal on inspection and cleaning.

Work Completed On 12/28/2020

We are sorry that this has happened to you but that was not our company. The company you are looking for is A-1 Chimney Sweep. If you do a little research you will see it is not us. we would appreciate you removing the review from our page.

12/31/2020

Monica W.

I was advised the cost would be $129 to clean the chimney but when the tech got here he stated it was the worst he had seen and l needed a deep cleaning including the firebox it would cost $350. He stated a regular cleaning would not work. Then he stated he need to clean out a box which is an additional $25 totaling $375. To deep clean chimney, paint firebox, seal crack and vacuum ash, it took him approximately 30 minutes or less. He advised l would receive an invoice via email but two hours later no email so l texted his cell phone stating l had not received the invoice. When invoice came through it stated l paid $129 for a chimney sweep. I paid cash so apparently he placed the rest in his pocket. Dishonest. I don’t understand how they can mislead and take people hard earned money.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

Work Completed On 12/30/2020

We were NOT the company to service you. There is another company that has a similar name A-1 Chimney Sweep, website is https://www.a-1chimneysweep.com & their phone # is 847-787-7477. We are sorry that they did this & if you need any chimney or fireplace services in the future we would be happy to help, we can be reached at 630-827-0600. Please take down the review as this is not an accurate view of our company.

12/12/2020

Kyleen C.

Anthony and Brandon were excellent, extremely professional and knowledgeable! Anthony and Brandon repaired our chimney and installed a new damper and cap and beautiful new logs in under 2 hours! Both men were very friendly and answered all our questions. We couldn't be more excited about our new fireplace and cannot wait to show it off! We highly recommend A-1 Safety Chimney Service and Anthony and Brandon, they exceeded our expectations and we couldn't be happier!! Thank you Anthony and Brandon and A-1 Safety!!!

Description of Work
Chimney repair, chimney cleaning new damper and cap installation new logs new gas line

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces, gas logs

Work Completed On 12/12/2020

Review for A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc. - 350 Randy Rd., Carol Stream, IL - 39081989

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We are glad that you were happy with all of your repairs. If you have any future needs please do not hesitate to give us a call.

12/02/2020

Pete E.

They wanted $109 to come do an estimate. Are you serious? I have never and will never pay for you to come quote a job.

Description of Work
Chimney Liner Replacement

Work Completed On 12/02/2020

We do offer free estimates for exterior repairs. We do not offer free inspections. If you are interested in an exterior estimate on a particular thing we will be more then happy to come out at No Charge.

11/18/2020

Kim J.

They showed up on time. calling 45 minutes beforehand to verify appointment. They quickly inspected the chimney and told me what the problem was and the recommended treatment. I asked a few questions and asked them to perform a test with a hose to insure that what they were saying was correct. They did so and the water leak did appear. They did the repair work at that time and inspected on more thing before they left. We have had a couple of rain storms since the repair with no leakage. They were polite, courteous, and on time. I was also given a discount for being a veteran, which I had not asked for but received when the tech noticed the license plate on my car. I would definitely use them again without hesitation.

Description of Work
Water leak in fireplace

Work Completed On 11/06/2020

10/29/2020

Janelle L.

We had a wonderful experience working with Anthony at A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc. Anthony came out to do an initial inspection and was extremely thorough. He spent time explaining the issues to my husband and I, showing us photos he'd taken and answering all of our questions. When Anthony came out to do the repair work, he was efficient and once again took time to discuss the work he had done with us in detail. We were able to build a fire in the fireplace that same night! I would highly recommend Anthony and A-1 to anyone in need of chimney repairs.

Description of Work
Chimney repairs

Work Completed On 10/29/2020

10/26/2020

Peter P.

A-1 did an amazing job & had great pricing! Called them because we heard something in the fireplace. They cam out that day & removed 3 raccoons, capped off chimney & cleaned it. CALL THEM!!! We will defiantly be using them again!

Description of Work
Heard animal in chimney/needed cap

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces, animal removal

Work Completed On 09/08/2020

10/17/2020

Daniel P.

Chimney sweep & dryer vent repair/cleaning

Description of Work
Amazing job by the A1 team this past week. Will and Rey identified a disconnected dryer vent line that was a major fire hazard to say the least. I am so glad I asked them about the dryer vent cleaning. Will have them back to inspect it in a year.

Category chimney sweep, dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 01/08/1970

09/03/2020

Angela S.

I purchased a chimney sweep and inspection deal last October for a chimney that serves our fireplaces and also indicated that I needed a chimney cap installed on a second, furnace chimney. We ended up having to pay for a second chimney sweep and inspection (which is fine) and were quoted for significant work to both chimneys, which we couldn't do at the time. What was not ok is that they declined to "sweep" the chimneys and when I wanted an updated quote so we could schedule the work, they instead said that since "it has been over a year" (it has been just under 11 months), they said that they would need me to pay for two more inspections, which would be scheduled over a month from now. I'm sure no "sweep" would be provided...again. We were clearly interested in having the work done. The office clerk ultimately received an ok from her superior to waive the inspection fee (which again, even a month out would have been within the year timeframe, so thanks), but this is clearly not a company I want to work with.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep, inspection, and cap

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 11/11/2019

You were quoted on extensive work & the chimney could & most likely is ion worse shape due to many contributing factors. It states right ion the paperwork signed by you that the prices & work scope are only good for 30 days. Which we hold prices much longer than that but when its bee a year & been through another winter we have to come back out to re quote. All of our technicians are certified and have to uphold rules/regulations for that certification and can not go off of a quote from a year ago not knowing if there is more damage or not. We will not apologize for doing things thoroughly, correctly & honestly.

08/26/2020

Steve T.

Very well. The crew of 2 arrived early and finished the job within 2 hours. I originally had squirrels nesting withing the stack and water had damaged the ductwork with rust and ducting that collapsed. There was no flow for the carbon monoxide from the furnace, so I had to replace the system.

Description of Work
Replace chimney and ductwork

Category chimney sweep, air duct cleaning, chimney caps, chimney repair, animal removal

Work Completed On 08/22/2020

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! We are so pleased that you were happy with the services we provided & look forward to working with you in the future.

04/09/2020

Cecelia F.

Service call went very well. Anthony D. and Brandon arrived promptly and were very courteous. I explained to Anthony what services were requested and discussed quote recd ( including discount) for services from office. Anthony assessed fireplace and explained what needed to be done and then he went up on roof. Anthony explained about issues with chimney stack and he shared pictures which were very helpful for me to see what needed to be done. I requested photos of before and after work done on chimney stack be sent to me, Anthony said they would be sent. I'm very pleased with Anthony's communication about recommendations for fireplace and chimney and for his work done on the chimney. I am very pleased with Brandon's work on the interior fireplace. I would highly recommend this company and team Anthony and Brandon!

Description of Work
Maintenance check and service

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

Work Completed On 04/09/2020

02/25/2020

Joyce B.

Very well because they were very professional and were able to solve the problem

Description of Work
Fireplace stopped working and they were to pinpoint problem

Category chimney repair, fireplaces

Work Completed On 02/18/2020

02/19/2020

Linda B.

Neat/clean and efficient - serviceman kept us informed about each step of the process

Description of Work
Repair/replace gas fireplace

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces, gas logs

Work Completed On 02/19/2020

02/03/2020

Joan N.

I had a leak in my master bedroom ceiling. I called a roofer and he mentioned that he "thinks" it may be stemming from the Chimney. So I contacted A-1 and showed them the leak and mentioned what the roofer said. I am not an expert so I did not know the root issue of the leak. A1 rep said that the roof planks needed to reseal flashing and torn saddle shingles which he quoted at $685 with a 3yr warranty. I was charged $95 on 5/21/19 for the inspection of link. On 5/23/19, same rep completed that work and I paid $685 to repair the cause of the leak. On 1/25/20, I noticed the area was still leaking in the same location. I called A-1 and they made an appt for 1/27/20 for Will to "check leak." He said the seals that were performed in May are still sealed and that there is general deterioration of the shingles occurring near the saddle of the chimney which may be the source of water entry. He suggested that I contact a roofer and he recommends applying a water repellant to the chimney. When I contacted two additional roofers, they claimed that work done by A-1 did not stop the leak and that I needed new flashing, new shingles, etc. So after paying A-1 over $700, I had a leak and no solution or refund from A-1. I spoke with A-1 regarding the work and potential refund on 1/31/20 and she is persistent that the work that was done was correct and would not be refunding any money. I had to spend an additional $700 on 1/31/20 to fix the leak because the work completed by A-1 never addressed my leak issue

Description of Work
Fix a Ceiling leak stemming from Roof/Chimney area

Category roofing, chimney repair

Work Completed On 05/23/2019

This complaint was found unfounded by the BBB & all work done was correct & did fix any leaks with the chimney.

02/01/2020

Debra H.

I am reposting this from 2014 because I just had my chimney inspected and remembered how this company tried to SCAM me. I looked for my prior post and could not find it. Very smooth talkers. If they show you a photo, BEWARE, it is not your chimney. My chimney is still fine five years later despite the fact they told me it was unusable and tried to scam me for thousands of dollars: A-1 Safety Chimney Service, Inc. F06/01/2014 They came on time. Bill was extremely nice. They sweeped the chimney. He took photos and said I needed all kinds of work done. I said I would have to think about it. I emailed and asked for the photos but they never sent them. I want a second opinion before I spend all that money. Be prepared for sales pitch. Follow up on 12/13/14. Bill had told me that the fireplace was unusable so we did not use it for Thanksgiving or my daughter's birthday. Because I had a feeling they were scamming me--especially after they did not send me the photos of my tiles that needed to be replaced-- I got on the waiting list for an inspection from another company owned by firefighters that has a good reputation. He came in this past week, looked at the chimney, and asked why I called. He said the chimney was fine. The tiles were fine and nothing needed repair. He showed me how to light a fire properly because he said he could tell I was getting smoke from not getting the fire hot enough initially. My instincts were correct about these people--especially with the sales pitch of the "one day" only special price to have a lot of unnecessary work done and the inability to email the photos later. Stay clear, Unethical and dishonest Description of Work: Cleaned chimney. 12/13/2014 follow up. "Inspected" chimney and showed me photographs of another chimney that needed repairs that was NOT my chimney. Services Performed: Yes Cost: $95 Work Completed Date: 04/30/2014 Hire Again: No OverallF PriceA QualityF ResponsivenessF PunctualityA ProfessionalismF

Description of Work
inspection with coupon

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair

Work Completed On 04/14/2014

Every picture that was sent to you has views of your home in the pictures. Not to mention all photo are date and time stamped with geo tagging showing that they were taken at your address. We are sorry that someone is misleading you but there could not be anymore proof that the photos are of your chimney and house.

12/05/2019

Karen L.

They were wonderful and made me feel safe with what they recommended and did for our maintenance. They are honest and thorough. Went way beyond duty for our price range. Thank you!

Description of Work
New logs and evaluation of fireplaces. Rooting out dryer vent.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, fireplaces, gas logs, dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 11/12/2019

10/30/2019

Larry V.

They were hired to clean our second story dryer vent - a total failure - got nothing out of the dryer vent. They never took before and after pictures of the dryer vent, as advertised, never tested the air volume thru the vent, the guy doing the work was very inexperienced. Our airflow now is worse then before they started. The person who answers the phone can't explain the process. They were more interested in redoing our gas fireplace. If they can't clean a dryer vent I would never trust them to mess with the fireplace. Didn't get the senior discount.

Description of Work
Clean dryer vent on the second story

Category chimney repair, dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 10/25/2019