Holt Plumbing & Heating Inc

Founded 1947 • With Angi since September 2007

Super Service Award winning. At Holt Plumbing and Heating Inc, our passion is plumbing, heating, and cooling. We have been family owned & operated and we're here to serve you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our success has been your satisfaction! We are a full-service plumbing and HVAC contractor.

plumbers (136)HVAC Companies (69)well & water pump repair (7)air duct cleaning (6)water heaters (5)home remodeling (4)appliance repair (4)drain pipe installation (1)water softeners (1)handyman (1)

08/03/2022

Dan S.

Robert was on time, professional, neat/clean, and explained everything. This has been the case with all tech/servicemen they've sent.

Description of Work
ACcoilreplaced

Work Completed On 08/03/2022

07/22/2022

Ron G.

call Holt around 11:30 the Lady on the phone was very professional and explained they had Rob in the area and would stop this afternoon. Robin arrived about 2:00 and we went to the unit to determine what my noise was. after running and shut down he explained the noise was normal because of the high heat and the fact my 6 year old unit was, a dirty. i asked him to check everything else out and clean the unit, during the checkup Robin discovered a capacitor was running out of range. he explained the cost and i decided to replace while he was here. he finished his testing and then we proceeded to my basement to check the air temps. he discovered we had a whole house fan that should be shut down in the winter, Robin went over my bill and explained their maintenance membership program. I was very pleased with my Holt experience from the first call to Dawn to meeting and having Robin in my home, a very professional approach to a time in the world where customer service is second to some company's.

Description of Work
My six year old air conditioner was making a noise on shut down.

Work Completed On 07/21/2022

02/27/2021

Janice S.

They came right out to see what was wrong, diagnosed the problem and found a motor to replace the non-working one. Had to come out the next day and took about half an hour to fix everything the way it should be. We've been customers for many years and we're always very satisfied with the service and customer relations!!

Description of Work
replace a motor in the furnace

Category handyman service, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 02/27/2021

11/10/2020

Brena C.

The crew explained everything as they revealed the pipes. We discussed how to remediate the issue so that I could have an upgraded beautiful, functional bathroom where the garbage disposal doesn’t BURP UP it’s contents into the bathtub. The crew was considerate and attempted to avoid as much “mess making” as possible. I also had HOLT replace the ancient furnace & air conditioner plus install an on-demand water heater unit. My monthly gas and electric bills are now $73 after energy efficient installations. I rely on HOLT for maintenance service, too.

Description of Work
Total bathroom remodel and fix a 24-year plumbing issue from improper installation within the walls!

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair, air duct cleaning, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/06/2020

Review for Holt Plumbing & Heating Inc - 245 Railroad Ave, West Des Moines, IA - 39015129

06/05/2020

Roger W.

Excellant replaced and adjusted float level, Also repalced correded shut off valve

Description of Work
Repair tolit flush problem

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

11/25/2019

Jared G.

Brad did a routine service on my furnace and was very thorough. Checked on more than I expected him too.

Description of Work
Furnace tune up

Work Completed On 11/25/2019

09/26/2019

David V.

Very well. Simple fix but diagnosed quickly and fixed just as fast. Part was an upgrade to the broken part, too. Tech explained everything well.

Description of Work
A/C repair

Work Completed On 09/07/2019

08/09/2019

Philip L.

We noticed the leak on a Wednesday evening and checked Angie's List which led us to Holt Plumbing and Heating. By noon Thursday, Dave arrived, diagnosed the problem as a failed faucet and was able to stop the leak. We paid $100 for this service call. He gave us a catalog to select a replacement faucet and said if the one we chose was not in stock, it would be within a couple of days. We had three choices: $999, $881 or $741, We called the office, told Jeff our choice was the one for $741 and he said he would call when it arrived. No call Thursday and none Friday. We didn't expect a call over the weekend and didn't get one. On Monday morning, we called and a staff person said that it would be three weeks. We were angry, put the order on hold and said that Jeff should have called us to let us know. She said, he did. That was a lie. We checked our phones--no message. You would expect that after an angry customer calls and threatens to cancel an order, that within 20 minutes, you would get a call from the company, apologizing, explaining and asking what could they do to make it right. If you thought that, you would be wrong. No call, People make mistakes. How they deal with them makes a big difference in their reputation. In our case, we got inflated prices, unexpected and unacceptable delay, no communication and indifferent response to a legitimate complaint. We bought a high-end Delta faucet at Lowe's for about $400 and paid $100 for installation. It wasn't the money that was so infuriating. It was the lack of communication and indifference to our complaint. Holt acts like it is the only game in town. It is not. I am writing this review to warn potential customers what the can expect. I belatedly read reviews about Holt and learned that delays and overcharging have been reported in the past. So, on top of everything else, they don't learn from their mistakes. Besides writing this review, I plan to tell everyone I know about this and the story will spread. Philip Latessa

Description of Work
Leak under kitchen sink

Work Completed On 07/25/2019

08/06/2019

Kathy D.

It went very well. Joe arrived in when expected, he gave me an estimate on repairing my old toilet or replacing it. I chose to replace. We set up a time for the following day. He was on time and had my new toilet in in no time. He was very professional. Cleaned up after himself. Will request him for any work I need done in the future.

Description of Work
I needed my toilet replaced

Category plumbing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 08/05/2019

12/30/2018

sandeep K.

The estimate was very high, ended up paying ~$90 for service call without getting any service.

Description of Work
Needed to change sink shut off valves.

Work Completed On 12/19/2018

11/23/2018

Jim P.

TERRIBLE. Ther did not have cartridge I needed even though it was a common brand Moen. They sai the could replace entire shower ser for over $800 or perhaps get the need cartridge and then charge me $300-$400. I said thanks that's way to much so they just charged me the $100 trip charge and left. RIP OFF. Called an independant jober who fixed it great in 20 mi ites for $170.

Description of Work
Replace shower cartridge

Work Completed On 11/23/2018

10/14/2018

Dan P.

Very well. Quickly. Called on a Wednesday afternoon, made a Thursday morning appointment (8am) and work was completed before 9am. Over $500 to replace a kitchen faucet seems pricey, but what do I know? I'm probably echoing what others have said about Holt. I guess I paid for the quick response and quality work, with no drama. Maybe it was worth it. ;)

Description of Work
Replaced kitchen faucet, fixed leak in pipe under sink.

Work Completed On 10/11/2018

09/14/2018

Brian B.

They called and said they could be here earlier in day. Fun to work with. Friendly. I guess the price was ok. The faucet has worked perfectly since they fixed it.

Description of Work
Fix dripping kitchen faucet

Work Completed On 08/30/2018

02/09/2018

Don L.

So I called Holt because they were highly rated and the plumber I had always used who was fair, reliable, and did excellent work unfortunately went out of business. The kitchen faucet was leaking, the shut off valve wasn’t working, and I already had quite a bit of damage until the sink. I called Holt and was relieved they could send a plumber the next day to help me out. The lady on the phone did tell me there was a trip charge which didn’t bother me because I’m used to paying that when service people come to the house and actually fix the issue. But when the person arrived I believe he was just a sales person who was sent to look and it and give me an estimate, not actually the plumber who I needed to do the work. He said he recommended a new faucet & shut off valves, which is probably the best course of action in this case, but proceeded to quote me an outrageous price. But of course I could save 15% if I signed up for it their maintenance plan at $20/month. I’m thinking at this point they are just trying to take advantage of me since I called in an emergency situation and in need of a new plumber. He also proceeded to say “when the plumber comes out” which really threw me off because I thought Holt had sent me a plumber who was there to actually fix my plumbing issues! Needless to say, I felt at that point I needed time to think about it cause the quote was extremely high especially without the “preferred customer discount” and he wasn’t going to fix it that day anyway. However, I did have to pay the $86 trip charge plus tax just to get the quote! So now I’m out $91 and a couple days behind on getting an honest, reliable plumber out here that will actually fix my leaking faucet for me the first time they come out! Not saying Holt doesn’t have great plumbers cause I never got far enough to find out but I can tell you they have a great marketing plan & sales people who act like they are actually going to help you out when they are just trying to sell you their plan!

Description of Work
Plumbing/Leaking Faucet

Work Completed On 02/08/2018

01/16/2018

George R.

Ben and Chuck worked as a team to discover the source of the leak that had eluded 3 previous plumbers. The source of the leak turned out to be a breach in the ceramic tile grout/caulk in the master bath shower, and not a plumbing issue. We carefully recaulked the pertinent areas of the tile and shower door rails, and the leaking stopped.

Description of Work
Locating a leak from an upstairs bathroom that was ruining the ceiling in our TV room.

Work Completed On 12/18/2017

12/31/2017

Madaline R.

Four hours from the first phone call until he was walking out the door finished

Description of Work
Toilet was leaking from supply line.

07/22/2017

Ronald G.

I’ve had work done by Holt Heating and Air Conditioning. I signed a maintenance contract with them.

Work Completed On 01/16/2017

07/22/2017

Nicole D.

Called to see if a technician could be sent out to look at air, as their website says "immediate action emergency service 24/7". I understand we're in the middle of a heatwave but, I thought 2 & 1/2 weeks out was a little excessive for wait time. She offered no other option or apologies. I've been able to get 2 (i wanted a secind opinion since I need a new unit) other companies both from Angie's list to come out. "Service Legends" couldn't come out BUT gave me a # to a different heating & cooling company that could help. Now THAT'S service!

Description of Work
Emergency air conditioning estimate

Work Completed On 07/22/2017

Review for Holt Plumbing & Heating Inc - 245 Railroad Ave, West Des Moines, IA - 35879814

07/19/2017

Angela H.

Good. They were professional and friendly.

Description of Work
I contacted Holt for a plumbing service. They were unable to fit me in that day, which is understandable. They were professional and offered me the name and number of a plumber who was able to assist me that day. My plumbing problems were fixed quickly and without a huge amount of costs. I appreciate the help. Thanks,

Work Completed On 07/19/2017

05/01/2017

Beth R.

I was really happy with them. They did good, solid, work. They were very responsive because our air conditioner went out, and they came out very quickly.

Description of Work
They replaced an A/C coil.

Work Completed On 05/01/2015

03/04/2017

Joe U.

I would recommend plumbers that will give you a free estimate for large projects. This plumber does not do that which makes it difficult to determine the best option.

Description of Work
We need a bathroom to be completely plumbed. They proposed an $87 charge just to give me a quote. I declined because that is absurd. I would think their prices would be extremely high based on this experience.

Category plumbing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 03/04/2017

02/27/2017

JoAnn M.

Very well. Zach did a great job. He installed a new pipe. I was going to throw away the damaged pipe. He told me not to do that because the insurance folks would need to see it. He was right. They needed a photo of the damage for the insurance claim.

Description of Work
Water leak in basement bathroom.

Work Completed On 02/27/2017

12/05/2016

Duane H.

The primary problem is the exorbitant fee! Yikes....watch out! It took $318 (after angie list discount) for 35 min of work as they charge by the JOB and not by the hour....this is in additional to the $100 I spent on the sink from Home Depot. Holt was the only one available after calling 3-4 companies, but I will NEVER use this company again. Good grief.....outrageous and usury rates. Furthermore, although the tech was very courteous, he broke hinge off my cabinet door, which I told him about before he left my driveway.....it took company a week to leave me a message....by that time I fixed it myself.

Description of Work
install new kitchen faucet

Work Completed On 10/21/2016