S J Construction Inc

Founded 1992 • With Angi since July 2008

4.3

1027 Sycamore St

Waterloo, IA 50703

Additional contact name - Laura.

04/15/2015

Daniel J.

Originally I was told he would do the job one day and then have to come l in a few weeks to have it inspected and some other things. When he got here and he got busy immediately and he worked very fast. He finished the job, and somehow got the inspector out the same day. the job was finished in one day. AWESOME!

Description of Work
Replaced a fuse box with breaker box. Added some receptacles. Added a ceiling fan, etc.

09/30/2014

Stephanie L.

Description of Work
My condo had a leak coming from my upstairs neighbor, which required half of the bathroom ceiling to be replaced. My neighbor's insurance paid for the repair. I was satisfied with the service and reached out the the company again for replacement of windows. However, their price was a lot higher than the other bids, so I have gone with someone else for window replacement.

Category remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling

08/18/2014

Mary R.

Description of Work
Replaced roof due to hailstorm. Had to rearrange a few times due to my schedule. Showed up on time, completed job, and cleaned up job site so you couldn't tell they had been there. Would recommend this company.

Category remodeling, interior painters, basement remodeling

02/12/2014

Carol E.

We were totally happy with them. They did the job from top to bottom. They did a good job. They were on time. They were in line financially with other companies. They were easy to communicate with. They did what they said their going to do. They were within budget. They were good with communication. They did the job on time.

Description of Work
I used the general remodelling service of S J Construction Inc. They did the whole conversion of the two bedrooms and two master suites.

11/20/2013

Jeanette A.

I do not recommend this company to others and just don't want to see anyone else have to deal with similar issues. I think SJ Construction is not a professional company. I had a verbal agreement with SJ Construction that they would complete this job in 3 days, as well as match the new trusses to the existing trusses in the first stall. However they started the job in October and didn't finish until Christmas time the same year. I continually had to call the company office and they continually apologized for the delays. Due the project extending so long I asked the company to hold on pouring the cement until spring, but they poured it anyway in December when the temperature had dropped below zero degrees. Now the concrete is breaking up. When I spoke with the owner of SJ Construction about this he told me I must have put ice melt on the concrete but I hadn't. There are also structural integrity concerns with the second stall they built. When you look at the roof of this second stall, you can see the trusses they installed do not match up to the trusses of the existing first stall garage. SJ Construction must have used the wrong trusses. What I really wanted them to make right with me was to repair the cement work. The owner later told me he would have his cement guy come out to inspect. The cement guy came out but then I heard nothing about what he was willing to do. Therefore I had to call the office and they again said there was nothing they are willing to do because they feel I put ice melt on the concrete.

Description of Work
They added a second stall onto my garage.

09/17/2013

John H.

Provided a free estimate in a timely manner. Estimate too high - chose another provider.

03/11/2013

Darryl T.

I called Steve for an estimate on 23 January, the permit was issued on 30 January, and the crew was on the job the next day. Over the next two weeks, the work was completed, through some of the coldest weather of the winter. I was extremely satisfied with the work, and was happy to tell my neighbors, when they complimented the look of the new porch, that S J Construction was my contractor.

Description of Work
The crew ripped out the old front porch, and the concrete steps underneath, and built a new front porch with green-treat wood.

12/31/2012

Mary S.

I am happy with the result. There were a couple additional expenses but since my house was built around 1940, I expected it. The only issue I had was with the flooring company. I wanted to be home when they came to install the carpet in the bedroom to discuss the doorway. (One of the quirks of having an older house). They came without letting me know and I was not satisfied. When I contacted SJ Construction, the flooring company came back and the issue was resolved. I would recommend SJ Construction. They will be one of the companies that I call whenever I need more work done.

Description of Work
I remodeled a bathroom and bedroom. The half bath was turned into a full bath. This required moving the front door, an interior door and removing a couple windows.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

09/23/2012

Heidi H.

A friend of mine had them repair flood damage in 2008 and was very disgusted with the quality of work done. I am very disappointed and concerned about the future of my home.

Description of Work
The city paid for the repairs to be done, However, it was advised to me if they needed to add glue roofing, it would cost me about $ 600. They did not use the "glue" originally intended. I was still charged. The gutters are a total mess and are not only unsightly but ineffective. They broke my window screen and my bird bath. The screen was replaced, but no mention of the bird bath, The roof still leaks and I was charged for them to come inspect the leaking and told it was just the gutter system freezing up.

I Thank the member for her description of the work SJ Construction performed. However her information is not quite correct. The project for the roof on her house was done in the summer of 2008. Her house is what is commonly called a fish bowl house. The City of Waterloo Community Development contracted SJ to install a rubber roof on the house only. We actually put a slanted roof on the fish bowl roof so that the water would actually have a run off at the (2) ports on the back of the roof instead of sitting on the roof which was breaking down from lack of maintenance, age and standing water. The roof supports were installed, sheeting was installed and the rubber roofing was applied with the proper glue. The Historical Society had become involved with this project and said that we could not use screws, we had to use glue. This was not a problem for SJ Construction, we did what the Historical Society demanded from us. When the project was complete, the Community Development manager came out and inspected the project as well as the City of Waterloo building inspector. Both were very pleased with the out come of the project. Unfortunately, the roof had leakage. The owner of SJ, the installer and the supplier went out to see what was going on. There were no charges associated with this inspection. The new roof had not been maintained and leaves had closed the (2) ports on the back of the house and these (2) ports emptied into commercial gutters and down spouts which were also full of leaves. Due to the leaves clogging the ports and gutters, it left water standing on the rubber roof. When this happens, it freezes and breaks down the rubber and the gutters. Then the water penetrates when it melts which then causes leaks. This issue was out of our control as it was a maintenance issue. As with any type of project—there is always homeowner maintenance that needs to be done. However we did go and clean the gutters, the ports and removed as much snow as possible for a minimal $50.00 charge. As for any damaged items, we can only replace/repair what has been told to us. There are no notes regarding a bird bath, however there are notes regarding the torn screen which was replaced/repaired. As for the extra charges, this was to finish paying what was out of the City’s realm of available monies. It was $618.00 for the member's portion. The project was just over $14,000.00 which included the member's portion. Unfortunately for SJ it took almost 4 years to get paid by her.

01/20/2012

Stephanie L.

The company was quick to schedule an appointment for the repair. The repair took as long as estimated. The bathroom was cleaned after the repair and painting.

Description of Work
The bathroom ceiling had to be repaired due to a water leak from above. The ceiling was closed and painted.

Category home remodeling, interior painters

01/13/2012

Erin T.

It was nice that they were at least willing to do it while we were unavailable. The cost of the fix was exactly as the gentleman had quoted. I'd use them again, but wouldn't expect a quick fix for small jobs. They're busy!

Description of Work
We had some siding and uncarriage elements of our roof blown off. It wasn't major, but birds and snow were making a home there. SJ Construction responded within 5 days of our call to provide us an estimate. To secure their services, they request 25% down. What they didn't tell us is that if we paid with a credit card over the phone, there would be a 3% charge to run the card. Luckily the amount was minimal. The gentleman who came out the house was great. He made us feel very confident in the work. The hard part was scheduling them to do it. because it was such a small job, the continuously weren't able to make it. Finally, they completed the job while we were away for a week. They came to the house, fixed the issue and sent us a bill.

Category siding

We thank the homeowner's for allowing us to take care of their siding needs. Unfortunately, due to scheduling and jobs that were already in progress, we were unable to get started sooner. I know that the Mrs. seemed suprised about the 3% fee for credit card processing, however it does state that there will be the fee in the contract. I apologize that they did not notice that in the section regarding payments.

11/16/2011

Kristine B.

I spent about $15,000. They came out early one week and took the old windows out. They left in the new ones. They will be coming out the next week to work around the edges. The guy, who put the trim on the outside, is different from the guy, who did the window installation. I think they are on different schedules. The job turned out to be fine. I would use them in the future.

Description of Work
S J Construction Inc. has done some work for me in the past. They installed replacement windows around the house, two years ago.

Category replacement windows

10/20/2011

Darryl T.

. There were some delays in scheduling, but once scheduled, the crews worked efficiently; the company has been responsive to any questions, and has discussed options that have cropped up along the way. We already had relationships with electricians and plumbers, and SJ was willing to work with and coordinate with thses providers. We have been extremely pleased with the attention and the quality of the work, as well as the willingness to keep us informed. Darryl Torrinport

Description of Work
SJ Construction replaced all the wood that rested on the concrete floors, to bring things up to code, while retaining the original wall configuration. They replaced the furring strips on the outside walls with 2x4s, and installed insulation. They rebuilt soffits to cover heating ducts, and brought framing up to code . The final step is scheduled for next week, when they begin to install drywall, and paint the portion of the basement we are remodelling.

Category basement remodeling

08/29/2011

Dick B.

I was quite pleased. They did a good job and I would use them again.

Description of Work
They put in new windows, siding and general repair work on my home.

Category siding, replacement windows

01/18/2011

James W.

They do pretty good work. We've actually used them several times and we've not been unhappy other than the fact that they don't finish the wood work. It really was a fair price, they did an awful lot of work. They were very responsive, we had trouble getting other people just to give us estimates.

Description of Work
SJ Construction remodeled the basement. We redid the floor and put in ceramic tile instead of carpet.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, remodeling, basement remodeling

09/03/2008

Carla B.

The work started on time. We had some weather delays and a few changes in the plans. Project finished slightly long due to delays and changes. Quality of work is good. Management of the project was superb.

Description of Work
Added on to our home.

Category remodeling, roofing

Modern Edge Construction, LLC.

Modern Edge Construction, LLC is committed to excellence in every aspect of our business. We uphold a standard of integrity bound by fairness, honesty and responsibility in all of our jobs. We are a locally owned and operated business with more than 10 years of experience serving Strawberry Point and surrounding areas. There is no job too big, or too small for our team. Call today and let us put our experience to work for you!

Bath Planet of Central Iowa

Bath Planet has been offering customers an affordable, attractive, and custom-designed alternative to costly bathroom remodels since 1999. For over two decades, Bath Planet has been putting its expertise to work creating spa-like retreats with durable, custom-fabricated products backed by Good Housekeeping. Bath Planet’s expertly trained local team of consultants, designers, and installers work with you from concept and design through installation to guarantee you get the bathroom of your dreams at an affordable price. Contact Bath Planet to schedule an appointment today!

2022 Super Service Award

Offers Coupon

Window Depot USA of Eastern Iowa

Window Depot USA of Eastern Iowa has been in business since 2009, in 2010 Window Depot opened another office in Dubuque, IA. A Locally owned and operated family business, we make sure you are satisfied customers when your home project is completed.

MasterCard, Visa, Check, Discover

New construction, room additions, siding, roofing, garages, remodeling, bathroom remodels, kitchen remodels, basement remodels, window / door replacements, custom decks, painting & cement work.