Custom Climates

Founded 2012 • With Angi since May 2013

We are locally owned and provide service to Johnson County and surrounding areas. We pride ourselves on our level of customer service and attention to details. We take great pride in our projects and level of craftsmanship. We have the customer references to prove it!...

A Service Provider's profile image

+16 more images

HVAC Companies (36)water heaters (5)air duct cleaning (2)

05/20/2022

Angela G.

Wonderful! Would recommend Custom Climates to anyone! Great value, and the owner took time to find rebates for me and patiently showed me how to use my new thermostat. They didn’t try to oversell me and I really appreciate that as a single woman who doesn’t know much about HVACs. He could have taken advantage of my lack of knowledge but told me that the standard HVAC system would work perfectly and I didn’t need a “Cadillac” for my townhome. I’m confident I got a great price because I price shopped and I discovered that Carrier is a top ranked brand. They left my house clean and took great care to get the AC up to the 2nd story deck without making a mess of the floors by putting down a protective blanket. Very happy to have a cold AC that’s cooling down the 3rd story of my townhome much quicker than the Lennox did!

Description of Work
AC / Furnace / Thermostat Install

Work Completed On 05/19/2022

Review for Custom Climates - 3305 Highway 1 SW, Iowa City, IA - 39739528

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your continued support. Enjoy the new system!

01/15/2021

John K.

Ryan does great work! We have used him for the past three years and are very happy with his service!

Description of Work
Annual Furnace/Air Exchanger Inspection

Work Completed On 02/01/2022

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us! We appreciate your business!

07/23/2020

Mary Beth R.

Ryan and his staff are very responsive! They come when they are scheduled, and/or keep you up to date if they are running behind. Service has been excellent and we have called them several times! We have never been disappointed! Ryan makes it seem like he is your "personal" HVAC consultant!! It is wonderful and I would recommend Custom Climates to anyone who needds HVAC repair!!

Description of Work
Furnace "tune-up:, air conditioner repair

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

Work Completed On 06/01/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate you business and look forward to working with you in the future!

07/22/2020

Nathan V.

Ryan and his team traveled out of their normal service area to troubleshoot issues we had with our geothermal system. They provided us a competitive bid for a replacement unit and did a great job on the installation. They were extremely knowledgeable on the system and made recommendations without providing sales pressure. After the installation they cleaned up as if they were never there. In addition, they took the time to walk me through the operation of the system. I would strongly recommend the team at Custom Climates.

Description of Work
Replaced Geothermal Heat Pump

Work Completed On 06/11/2020

06/08/2020

Chris N.

They were swamped with calls and took 2 days to get to us but they called to update us regularly and quickly resolved the problem when they arrived. Great folks to work with.

Description of Work
Air Conditioning failure

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us! We receive MANY calls a day when it gets hot so we appreciate your patience! Glad we were able to resolve your issue!

02/12/2020

Cheryl C.

Very big job that took several days. I like that all the work is performed by the owners themselves. They are very knowledgeable about geothermal. Kept me informed about the progress and when they were coming. I would highly recommend them for your heating and cooling issues.

Description of Work
Replaced malfunctioning heat pump for our geothermal system

Work Completed On 02/10/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate the business!

08/26/2019

Emily J.

The installation was done professionally and with care.

Description of Work
New Furnace and A/C

Work Completed On 03/01/2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us! We appreciate it!

08/09/2019

Mary Beth R.

Outstanding!! Ryan’s quick response and willingness to help is amazing. Prompt, professional, thorough, excellent at trouble shooting, fair, honest. Super impressed by this company. Recommend highly!

Description of Work
HVAC repair

Work Completed On 08/05/2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us!

06/09/2019

Daniel M.

Ryan did an excellent job, answered all my questions, and was entirely professional.

Description of Work
New Central Air Conditioning Unit and Indoor Coil

Work Completed On 05/15/2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your business!

06/07/2019

Ana M.

Quick scheduling response and good service.

Description of Work
summer AC check

Work Completed On 06/07/2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review for us! We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you in the future!

12/24/2018

Chris M.

Excellent prompt service. I was having issues with A/C not getting to one of our rooms. They quickly determined what the problem was and fixed the problem. They are very knowledgeable and professional.

Description of Work
Repaired my Central Air

Work Completed On 08/15/2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a nice review! We appreciate your continued support and look forward to working with you in the future!

12/22/2018

joshua T.

Since the very 1st meeting with Ryan & Allen, the owners of Custom Climates, they have always proven to be professionals in every sense. They are technically very knowledgeable in their profession and demonstrated integrity of the highest degree, nothing less than being 100% honest on the issue, cost, work required earning my trust. Their craftsmanship is superior and meticulous in how the equipment is placed, and routed for function and presentation. Ryan & Allen are the only people besides family granted access to my home when not present or requiring to be escorted, they leave my home as they found it without any sign of the work performed or presence. Custom Climates is the only Heating and Cooling contractor I will use to service the geothermal, boiler or radiant floor heating systems, I'll always wait for their availability.

Description of Work
I initially met Ryan & Allen in 2010 to diagnose & verify the Geothermal Water to Water equipment for hydronic radiant floor heat installed was undersized by the original HVAC contractor. This was new construction and a brand new system installed by another contractor that didn't performed the heat loss gain calculation according to Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) Manual J or size the equipment properly following Manuals B,S & H then refused to correct the issue. Ryan & Allen stepped up to correct the issue, when they could of walked away taking an easier job that would have been less of a headache.

Work Completed On 05/01/2018

12/21/2018

Angela S.

The Custom Climates team is amazing. They’re responsive, professional and always get the job done efficiently. They are a pleasure to work with! I always recommend them to friends.

Description of Work
Geothermal heater and AC repair and maintenance; garage heater install

Work Completed On 12/21/2018

Barbara V.

Excellent! Staff is always efficient and considerate.

Description of Work
Furnace and air conditioner installation and maintenance

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

Work Completed On 12/20/2018

Steven B.

We've been working with Ryan since he was involved in the renovation of the 1927 house we purchased in Manville Heights in Iowa City in early 2012. It doesn't take long to realize that Ryan knows his stuff and when he left the company he was working for during the renovation of our house, we immediately transitioned our HVAC service requirements to his new company, "Custom Climates". Great guy, easy to work with, very responsive, and highly knowledgeable. Example, we had an on-demand water heater installed in our previous home and had nothing but problems with it. We were talking with Ryan about wanting to go this route again for the new (old) house but very skeptical because of how much trouble we had with our previous one. He said that there can be quite a bit of programming required but if you do it correctly, it'll work great. He was right and it has worked flawlessly since it was installed. In addition, Ryan checks in on us now and then to make sure everything's humming along. If you're looking for someone with that hard-working, honest, and reliable midwestern ethic, Ryan's your man.

Description of Work
New HVAC in 1927 House, On-Demand Water Heater, and Annual Inspections for Preventive Maintenance.

Work Completed On 12/20/2018

richard B.

Excellent! Pilot was going out on 13yr old water heater. Ryan came on a Friday and reset it. Early the next week he came and replaced it with a quality Ruud water heater. He had to do some disconnecting and fitting into a narrow space and did it very well. On another occasion he has installed a heat pump and minisplit and he also does regular maintenance on my furnace and air conditioner.

Description of Work
Replace water heater

Work Completed On 12/11/2018

Allen Y.

The service was prompt and professional. Allen Nichols came to my house after hours, diagnosed the problem, and had me back up and running the next day. I would recommend to anyone/everyone.

Description of Work
Air conditioner replacement

Work Completed On 07/07/2017

04/26/2018

Kathleen C.

They were extremely responsive, professional, and thorough. I will definitely hire them again in the future.

Description of Work
furnace repair

Work Completed On 04/23/2018

Thank you so much [Member Name Removed] for taking the time to leave a review for us! We appreciate you calling us and look forward to working with you in the future!

10/24/2017

Clare F.

Perfectly. In the Top 10% of service providers I have used in the area.

Description of Work
Needed annual maintenance on 2 air conditioners. Were prompt, fair and even fixed a couple of items on the heating side of the house they discovered during their service call--and were extremely fair in pricing.

Work Completed On 05/01/2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a positive review. We appreciate your business and look forward to providing your future Heating and Cooling needs. Thanks again!

04/22/2017

J F.

Ryan was very helpful in giving us information, advice and options regarding what system to purchase. He addressed all our questions promptly and was very good at communicating throughout the entire process. His knowledge of the product is excellent and he was very easy to work with and accommodating. He also walked us through how the system worked and handled the rebates and registration of the equipment. We are very happy with Ryan’s work which was neat and professional. We have found Custom Climates to be very reliable and trustworthy and we will continue to use them for servicing our HVAC.

Description of Work
Ryan installed a new high-efficiency furnace, air conditioner and a UV light light system for us.

Work Completed On 04/22/2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review for us! We really appreciate it! I know you will love the new system more and more as time goes by. Thank you for your business and we look forward to working with you in the future!

12/07/2016

Tyler F.

Great! Ryan came out around 930am. I was able to go into work for a meeting and make it back to my place just as he was finishing up around 1130am. He replaced some old and unnesessary piping from the old water heater and a previous humidifier(?). Ryan explained to me the features of the water heater and how to maintain it. Everything has been working well and now I have hot water!

Description of Work
Water heater replacement

Category water heater repair

Work Completed On 11/29/2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We are glad that the new water heater is working well for you. The old one was on it's last leg! Thanks again and we look forward to working with you in the future.

11/21/2016

Tyler F.

Ryan was very responsive to email. I asked multiple questions before I agreed to have him come out to look at the furnace. The temporary fix for the motor did not work because it was too far gone. However, Ryan was able to find the part locally and fixed the furnace the next day. He also was able to get the part covered under warranty for the furnace. I would highly recommend Custom Climates for their knowledge, punctuality, and professionalism.

Description of Work
My furnace wasn't working, so the problem had to be diagnosed and then fixed. Ryan realized the motor wasn't working properly. He tried to put some oil on it in hopes that it would work until he could order me the replacement part for a permanent solution.

Work Completed On 11/17/2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review! Although our attempt to get the blower working while there didn't work like we hoped, we where able to get it working again in short order. Thank you for calling us and we look forward to working with you in the future!

08/08/2016

Dawn M.

Since the A/C was completely dead, Ryan thankfully managed to squeeze us into the schedule ASAP. The Custom Climates crew showed up right on schedule a couple days after I first called (had to wait for the new furnace and A/C units to come in) and installed everything in one day. Brought everything up to code while they were at it. Did a great job cleaning up after the job too. It works fabulously now - so much more efficient - and (bonus) looks awesome! Everyone was super friendly, polite, so nice! They even took the time to explain the use of the new programmable thermostat. Will absolutely be doing business with Custom Climates again. (We had such a great experience, we asked them to put us on the list for regular maintenance.)

Description of Work
Our ancient central A/C unit finally gave out. In July. In Iowa. Panic quickly set in! Found Custom Climates on Angie's List and checked out their project photos on their web site. Loved that I could see some of their work online! Ryan and the guys came out and gave us an estimate the _same morning_ I called. They didn't try to hard sell me on anything, just listened to what I wanted, gave me sensible options, and provided a very reasonable estimate ... so reasonable in fact, that we ended up replacing the also-ancient furnace.