Handy Guy

Founded 2006 • With Angi since April 2010

5712 SE 25th St

Des Moines, IA 50320

Jeremy Olson the Handy Guy has been helping households in Des Moines, and all around the state of Iowa, with professional household repairs of all shapes and sizes for over a quarter of a century. If you're looking for repairs, restorations, or a carpenter in the Des Moines, Iowa area, you've come

01/14/2023

Lori A.

Outstanding to communicate with and have in my home. Very solid workmanship and completely cleaned up afterwards. Highly recommend!

Description of Work
Shower and bath plumbing, drywall

Category handyman service

Thank you customer for taking the time to review our business. We look forward to working with you again.

02/02/2022

Julie D.

We have had Handy Guy repair several things around our house over the last few years. Recently we had a shower leaking, and others had been unable to figure out the root cause. Jeremy (Handy Guy) figured it out and successfully repaired it under the quoted price. Handy Guy is always professional, always on time, stays within the quoted price and does very high quality work. He really cares, and is very informative. Its always a pleasure to work with him and his son, they do great work and I'm grateful to have them as an option!

Description of Work
Shower Repair

Category handyman service, plumbing, woodworking, doors

Thank you customer for taking the time to review our business. We look forward to hearing from you again.

05/28/2021

Catherine C.

I am glad I found Handy guy to do the job. Other companies wouldn't help since it was a basement window. The day of they arrived on time and had zero issues. We discussed replacing storm windows as well for my back porch. I will definitely use this company again

Description of Work
glass replacement for basement windows

Category replacement windows

12/27/2019

M W.

Jeremy and Jonah once again did an excellent job for us. This time it was a remodel job to replace a ceiling and light fixtures in our basement family room. The ceiling had the old popcorn ceiling texture and we've wanted it replaced for a long time but put off because of the mess we expected to take it down. Jeremy came out and gave us suggestions, quote, etc. that it could be done by putting new drywall over it instead of taking it down. They put up new drywall and were very particular to get the mud, sanding and finish just right. You cannot see any seams in the entire almost 400 square feet. They extended duct work as needed for better vent placement and the family room is so much warmer now. Jeremy and wife Jennifer worked with us during the time after work was scheduled and before it started to advise on light fixtures to put in and Jennifer even located them for us locally to purchase. Jeremy even suggested an improvement related to the stair edging. He provided and stained a piece of wood to match the existing trim along the stair risers and now the new ceiling edge piece is so much nicer now and blends in with the other trim. When this new edge piece didn't take the original stain very well and had an unfinished edge, they came back out to correct it at no charge as part of their guarantee/warranty work. I would highly recommend The Handy Guy.

Description of Work
ceiling work and light replacements

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking

Thank you customer for your review and thoughtfulness. We very much appreciate you taking the time, and look forward to working with you again.

12/18/2019

Nancy B.

They come when they say they are coming. They are clean and leave the place clean. They do a great job and I will use them again.

Description of Work
A new door handle put on, toilet fixed and the ceiling repair

Category handyman service, plumbing, interior painters

Thank you customer for taking the time to write a review. Always a pleasure doing business with you. We look forward to hearing from you again.

09/20/2019

janet R.

Initial contact with Jennifer. She was very thorough getting the info needed to replace my window which had most likely broken due to stress because of incorrect install. She answered my questions without reservation and scheduled an appointment. However what I didnt know about was her behind the scenes actions. She researched the history of my home build itself and found my window was still under warranty. She made initial inquires to the window manufacturer for replacement which resulted in the manufacturer providing a replacement window at no charge. I had no idea there might be a warranty on my window. This was a > $500 savings to me. Jeremy and his son came to my home and did a thorough assessment, did the measuring and made detailed notes about my specific window for the manufacturer.. Based on prior errors made by manufactures with other similar jobs he knew the many details needed to ensure we would get the correct window with the correct color. He gave me an explanation of what was needed. I felt very comfortable going ahead with the replacement. Replacement was completed in a timely manner and you would not know it had been replaced. It was a positive experience and he charged a fair price for the work he completed..

Description of Work
replacement of a broken window in an inaccessible 2nd story window

Category handyman service, replacement windows

Thank you customer for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to review in detail, and your thoughtfulness. We look forward to working with you again.

07/03/2019

Lee P.

The process and outcome were excellent. Contact was timely, effective and collaborative. The finish on the door and the instalation were perfect.

Description of Work
Replace fire rated condo door

Category handyman service, woodworking

Thank you for taking the time to review our business. Always a pleasure doing business with you. We look forward to hearing from you again.

07/03/2019

Lee P.

Everything went perfectly. Arrived on time; completed the work swiftly and neatly. Installation was perfect. Staff was professional and congenial.

Description of Work
Replace 34 year old kitchen sink faucet

Category handyman service, plumbing

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your thoughtfulness. We look forward to working with you again.

06/04/2018

Matt K.

The contractor was contacted 3 times. They only responded to the initial request asking for details on the project. Since then, two attempts have been made to contact them with no response.

Description of Work
Contractor non responsive for 3 weeks - unable to hire

Category drywall, handyman service

11/14/2017

Richard M.

Jennifer and Jeremy scheduled a day where the weather permitted the outdoor work. Jeremy explained what needed to be done and explained the procedure and materials that he was going to use. Once the "OK" was issued, he completed the work in a professional manner. I was very happy with the work that was completed!

Description of Work
I had a cedar fence post that had rotted at it's foundation and the fence gate no longer operated properly. I needed a new post replacement where electrical and gas lines were near the cement foundation.

Category handyman service, woodworking

Thank you customer for taking the time to submit a review. Always a pleasure working with you.

05/17/2017

Tracy S.

The work was done in a timely manner and everything looks great. The handy guy and his co-worker were friendly and gave us a detailed estimate prior to doing the work. Great service!

Description of Work
Our handrail and spindles were replaced on our deck steps, our outside faucet was replaced and 2 broken basement steps were repaired.

02/07/2017

scott D.

Really they didn't do anything for me. They gave an estimate. The price was higher than other estimates and the time frame they could do it, wouldn't work for me.

Description of Work
The only experience I had with the Handy Guy was when I wanted to have some work done at my house and I called them to see when I could meet them and ask them a few questions and it didn't work out. I wanted to have a ceiling fan.

Category handyman service

Thank you, member for taking the time to review.

12/12/2016

Steve B.

It was an excellent job. The work was started and completed in a very timely manner. The team was very clean during the work, and thoroughly cleaned the area after it was completed. Compared to other contracts who I contacted and didn't hear back, Jamie and Jennifer were very responsive when I made the request for work, returned a bid when they said they would, and met their commitment (which means they showed up) when they said they would. They are now my primary go-to team for service. They have a well-deserved reputation as reliable, dependable and quality contractors, which means when you contact them, allow them time to respond, and time to do the job. They are in high demand, and why they are worth the wait.

Description of Work
We had drywall repair, painting and replacement of an exhaust fan in a bathroom, and repair of a ceiling due to very poor workmanship of a prior contractor.

Category drywall, handyman service, interior painters

Thank you, member for taking the time to review. It was a pleasure meeting with you. We look forward to working with you again. Jeremy

M W.

We had hired Jeremy a couple years ago for a bathroom shower repair so did not hesitate again to contact him when we had a leaking pipe under our kitchen sink and leaky faucet above. He and his wife provided lots of useful information and suggested getting the needed parts under warranty for the faucet instead of the additional cost of replacing it. He does what's best for the customer and didn't just automatically suggest the most expensive thing like replacing the faucet. In the end, we went ahead with a replacement because the faucet was out of warranty so for the investment it made sense to replace. He suggested a brand for us that would have a lifetime warranty and explained the quality of their products. Again, to me, this shows his concern, honesty and integrity regarding his work and customer's best interest. With our kitchen setup containing a corner sink placement in addition to the original builder or prior DIY work of the disposal and pipe location and setup, the repair of the leaky pipe under the sink was not the most convenient and comfortable work for him. He still took the needed time and did the job thoroughly and completely making sure to explain what he was going to do and what had happened to cause the leak in the pipe in the first place. He found a 2nd leaky pipe just behind the wall when testing the first part of the job and fixed that as well. He and his assistant were very thorough, conscientious, pleasant and cleaned up tremendously when they were done. I highly recommend The Handy Guy.

Description of Work
kitchen pipe repair and faucet replacement

Category handyman service, plumbing

Thank you customer for your thoughtfulness. It's always a pleasure working with you. We look forward to hearing from you again. We wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

M W.

We are very happy we found Handy Guy. When our shower needed repair, we searched Angie's List and since Jeremy had experience in both plumbing and drywall, we contacted him since we thought the repair would need to be done through the small built-in wall on the outside of the shower stall. Since this wall was added by the previous owners, we didn't know if it was just paneling or drywall as well. He was very professional, knowledgeable, courteous, and all around good guy to work with. He advised us on a shower kit to purchase which was good quality (on par with Delta) but not as expensive. He thought of the future and installed an access door. He provided a detailed explanation and estimate of the work to be completed before starting the job and made sure we were happy with the work before he left. I would highly recommend him and will hire him again for additional handyman repairs.

Description of Work
The handle (and diverter) on our shower broke off and would require repair of the shower faucet, handle and internals as well.

Category handyman service, plumbing

Thank you, member for taking the time to review. It was a pleasure meeting with you. We look forward to working with you in the future. Jeremy

M W.

We had a couple planks of our kitchen laminate flooring with dents from dropped knives and a vent hood (when we were installing it). Being a tongue and groove design and the way the boards had been laid, it required other boards to be removed as well. The board was the 2nd to the last before our cabinet but the run of that "row" extended along the kitchen with additional boards between it and the wall. Jeremy and his son carefully removed the 3 rows to get to the board that needed replaced. After custom cutting to make a nice transition, they re-install the previously removed boards as we only had 5 total extra boards. They were very thorough and meticulous in the work and the floor looks as good as new. They cleaned everything as they went and reinstalled the quarter round trim as well.

Description of Work
laminate flooring

Category flooring contractor, handyman service

Thank you customer for taking the time to review our business. We appreciate your repeat business and the referrals. We look forward to hearing from you again.

07/21/2016

Mike W.

I never really did any business with them I attempted to but I ended up getting what I needed done without using their services. the only issue I had was when I contacted them it took them like two days to respond.

Description of Work
I used Handy Guy for handymen quote.

Category handyman service

Thank you for your review, customer. The two days of no response was a Saturday and Sunday. Your email was received on a Friday, and a response was given on Monday. Although, on occasion we will respond through the weekend, we do not make a habit of this practice since this is time we spend with our family. I appreciate your review either way, and that you were able to make the repairs with your family members help, using the method we provided. Thanks, Jeremy

03/08/2016

Tom F.

iThe end of a piece of vinyl siding had come out the the J-channel and was flapping around in the wind. I called Handy Guy in early winter and he informed me that this siding is susceptble to cracking in cold weather so he would try to schedule on a day above 50 degrees. Had had to cancel on scheduled day because of cold weather, but he said he would keep in touch, which he did. He came exactly when he said he would. He explained exactly what he would try to do and how he figured the cost. He did the job in about an hour and explained the probable cause of the problem. He was professional in appearance and manner. He identified some deficiencies in the original installation and mitigate those best he could. There is a 90 warranty on his work, and he explained what he would do next if there are more problems. I appreciated that he responded to my original inquiry promptly and he followed through on his own initiative. I don't often see this in contractors. I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Repaired a section of vinyl siding on the house above a sloped roof

Category handyman service, siding

11/18/2015

Tony D.

Was timely and professional in the work. Would be willing to hire them again. Did an estimate on interior work that we are considering as well for the future.

Description of Work
install of exterior storm door

Category handyman service, doors

Thank you, member. Words cannot express what your review means to me. Thank you for taking the time, and for your recent referral.

10/19/2015

Kris S.

The provider was very responsive to me. As I had seen a review stating the provider did not get back to another customer, I wanted to balance the scales. Original contact date was 10/5, responded to me with questions on 10/6. I replied on 10/9 and Jeremy responded on 10/13. He gave my proposal serious consideration and gave me a fair and valid reason why he could not take on my work. If I was in his area of work, I would definitely contact him again.

Description of Work
I contacted the provider to see if he would work out of his listed area, for a $30K contract.

Category handyman service

Thank you, member. Words cannot express what your review means to me. Thank you for taking the time.

07/06/2015

Brian M.

I did sent Jeremy and Jennifer photos in advance which help determine the effort and cost. They reply via email in prompt manner with a comprehensive cost and effort based on an hourly rate and trip charge. We scheduled a date and time with follow up confirmations. The communication, enthusiasm, and attitude by Jeremy ,Jonah, and Jennifer ,for a even a small job, was outstanding.

Description of Work
Rehung gutter, check electrical on roof fan, roof caulking

Category handyman service

Thank you, customer for your review, and taking the time to update the reviews online. We appreciate customers like you who recognize our efforts and share their experience with our company.

01/31/2015

Glenn R.

It went well. We have used him for maintain two properties in Des Moines and are satisfied with their work.

Description of Work
handy man, cleanup carpentry etc.

Category handyman service, woodworking

Thank you , for your positive review. We appreciate your continued business.

01/28/2015

Ann M.

He didn't do so well with how he came into the house and his attitude is poor.

Description of Work
He got the job done which was clear out our main sewer pipeline.

Category handyman service, plumbing

This customer has clearly mistaken us for someone else. We do not service Dallas Center, and we do not perform the service mentioned because we do not have the equipment. Additionally, we wear foot covering and don't have poor attitudes. Please remove this review and check your records. Thank you.

01/05/2015

Lynelle H.

he and his wife came to my home gave me the estimate completed the work within 30 to 45 minutes wrote me an invoice work was done to my satisfaction

Description of Work
install 3 outdoor lights on house

Category handyman service

Thank you for your positive review. We look forward to working with you in the future.

07/14/2014

Michael M.

There are not enough superlatives to describe the Handy Guy's abilities and performance. His many years of broad experience allowed him to accomplish every task quickly and professionally. No task was finished unless it was done right, including cleanup. He volunteered cost-saving methods and material. He showed up when he said he would, work was methodically organized and the tasks were finished on schedule with no cost surprises. In summary, he is a consummate professional, pleasant to work with and I would enjoy having him back.

Description of Work
Handy Guy, Jeremy Olson -- often assisted by his family -- accomplished a long list of repairs, upgrades and improvements in preparation for sale of the house. This included plumbing, electrical, carpentry, drywall, painting and concrete repair.

Category handyman service

Always a pleasure doing business with you. Thank you for your positive review.