Handy Guy

Founded 2006 • With Angi since April 2010

Jeremy Olson the Handy Guy has been helping households in Des Moines, and all around the state of Iowa, with professional household repairs of all shapes and sizes for over a quarter of a century. If you're looking for repairs, restorations, or a carpenter in the Des Moines, Iowa area, you've come to the right place! I don't just offer quality work and craftsmanship. More importantly, I pride myself on honesty and dependability, as well as maintaining a gentleman's ethic. I understand you want it done right with a good experience, for the advertised price. A Sole Contractor. No employees. Some subcontracting as agreed. IWD Registered Contractor C004225 exp. 9/15/2018. Cost is determined by the job. One hour minimum. Travel charges apply. Independently owned. Fully Insured....

DSM Kitchen Guy

With over 30 years of remodeling experience in the Des Moines Area I have seen it all or done it all. This experience helps me to know the full extent of the remodeling process. This knowledge enables me to put together a complete and detailed estimate so there won’t be any surprises. I work on the job doing much of the install and actively oversee the licensed contractors daily. I know the importance of protecting your home during the project. You can trust your new dream kitchen to Rich Larsen Remodeling, the Des Moines kitchen remodeling expert. Make sure to check out our Testimonials by visiting our website!

Professional Contracting Iowa

Anything concrete Concrete driveways Patios Steps Colored decorative concrete New construction basements , garages. Additional phone number - (515) 986 - 0879

Ideas into Wood

We do rough framing of houses, garages, and sheds. We also do siding installation, deck building, trim carpentry cabinet installation and custom built in cabinets and bookcases. We also build fire place mantles. I have been in the skilled trades for 15 years and love to build things with my hands.

05/28/2021

Catie C.

I am glad I found Handy guy to do the job. Other companies wouldn't help since it was a basement window. The day of they arrived on time and had zero issues. We discussed replacing storm windows as well for my back porch. I will definitely use this company again

Description of Work
glass replacement for basement windows

Category replacement windows

Thank you customer for taking the time to review our business. We look forward to working with you again.

12/27/2019

M W.

Jeremy and Jonah once again did an excellent job for us. This time it was a remodel job to replace a ceiling and light fixtures in our basement family room. The ceiling had the old popcorn ceiling texture and we've wanted it replaced for a long time but put off because of the mess we expected to take it down. Jeremy came out and gave us suggestions, quote, etc. that it could be done by putting new drywall over it instead of taking it down. They put up new drywall and were very particular to get the mud, sanding and finish just right. You cannot see any seams in the entire almost 400 square feet. They extended duct work as needed for better vent placement and the family room is so much warmer now. Jeremy and wife Jennifer worked with us during the time after work was scheduled and before it started to advise on light fixtures to put in and Jennifer even located them for us locally to purchase. Jeremy even suggested an improvement related to the stair edging. He provided and stained a piece of wood to match the existing trim along the stair risers and now the new ceiling edge piece is so much nicer now and blends in with the other trim. When this new edge piece didn't take the original stain very well and had an unfinished edge, they came back out to correct it at no charge as part of their guarantee/warranty work. I would highly recommend The Handy Guy.

Description of Work
ceiling work and light replacements

Category drywall,electrician,handyman service,remodeling,woodworking

Thank you customer for your review and thoughtfulness. We very much appreciate you taking the time, and look forward to working with you again.

12/18/2019

Nancy B.

They come when they say they are coming. They are clean and leave the place clean. They do a great job and I will use them again.

Description of Work
A new door handle put on, toilet fixed and the ceiling repair

Category handyman service,plumbing,interior painters

Thank you customer for taking the time to write a review. Always a pleasure doing business with you. We look forward to hearing from you again.

09/20/2019

janet R.

Initial contact with Jennifer. She was very thorough getting the info needed to replace my window which had most likely broken due to stress because of incorrect install. She answered my questions without reservation and scheduled an appointment. However what I didnt know about was her behind the scenes actions. She researched the history of my home build itself and found my window was still under warranty. She made initial inquires to the window manufacturer for replacement which resulted in the manufacturer providing a replacement window at no charge. I had no idea there might be a warranty on my window. This was a > $500 savings to me. Jeremy and his son came to my home and did a thorough assessment, did the measuring and made detailed notes about my specific window for the manufacturer.. Based on prior errors made by manufactures with other similar jobs he knew the many details needed to ensure we would get the correct window with the correct color. He gave me an explanation of what was needed. I felt very comfortable going ahead with the replacement. Replacement was completed in a timely manner and you would not know it had been replaced. It was a positive experience and he charged a fair price for the work he completed..

Description of Work
replacement of a broken window in an inaccessible 2nd story window

Category handyman service,replacement windows

Thank you customer for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to review in detail, and your thoughtfulness. We look forward to working with you again.

07/03/2019

Lee P.

Everything went perfectly. Arrived on time; completed the work swiftly and neatly. Installation was perfect. Staff was professional and congenial.

Description of Work
Replace 34 year old kitchen sink faucet

Category handyman service,plumbing

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your thoughtfulness. We look forward to working with you again.

07/03/2019

Lee P.

The process and outcome were excellent. Contact was timely, effective and collaborative. The finish on the door and the instalation were perfect.

Description of Work
Replace fire rated condo door

Category handyman service,woodworking

Thank you for taking the time to review our business. Always a pleasure doing business with you. We look forward to hearing from you again.

06/04/2018

Matt K.

The contractor was contacted 3 times. They only responded to the initial request asking for details on the project. Since then, two attempts have been made to contact them with no response.

Description of Work
Contractor non responsive for 3 weeks - unable to hire

Category drywall,handyman service

11/14/2017

Richard M.

Jennifer and Jeremy scheduled a day where the weather permitted the outdoor work. Jeremy explained what needed to be done and explained the procedure and materials that he was going to use. Once the "OK" was issued, he completed the work in a professional manner. I was very happy with the work that was completed!

Description of Work
I had a cedar fence post that had rotted at it's foundation and the fence gate no longer operated properly. I needed a new post replacement where electrical and gas lines were near the cement foundation.

Category handyman service,woodworking

Thank you customer for taking the time to submit a review. Always a pleasure working with you.

05/17/2017

Tracy S.

The work was done in a timely manner and everything looks great. The handy guy and his co-worker were friendly and gave us a detailed estimate prior to doing the work. Great service!

Description of Work
Our handrail and spindles were replaced on our deck steps, our outside faucet was replaced and 2 broken basement steps were repaired.

Category handyman service

Thank you, member for taking the time to review. It was a pleasure meeting with you.

02/07/2017

scott D.

Really they didn't do anything for me. They gave an estimate. The price was higher than other estimates and the time frame they could do it, wouldn't work for me.

Description of Work
The only experience I had with the Handy Guy was when I wanted to have some work done at my house and I called them to see when I could meet them and ask them a few questions and it didn't work out. I wanted to have a ceiling fan.

Category handyman service

Thank you, member for taking the time to review.

Handymen Services – Bathrooms, Custom Carpentry & Drywall, Doors, Electrical, Flooring, Home Improvement, Kitchens, Windows, Painting, Tiling, Plumbing Repair & Installation, Restorations, Odd Jobs, & Concrete Repairs.

Roof Replacement. Digging. Fencing.

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, PayPal