City Builders

Founded 1987 • With Angi since July 2008

3.6

2009 Center St

Cedar Falls, IA 50613

Additional contact name - Dwight Wielenga....

11/04/2015

Robert N.

Category gutter repair, replacement windows

09/10/2015

Judith G.

City Builders came out and gave us a bid, then followed up with another visit when we had questions and wanted to add something to the bid. We visited their showroom and drove to some of their previous jobs so we could see sample installations. They had lots of colors from which to choose so we were able to select a gutter topper that matched our current color extremely well. This morning at about 9:40 a.m. two personable industrious workers showed up and by 2:30 p.m. the job was completed, cleaned up, and they were gone. We are very pleased with the price and professionalism of City Builders and will certainly consider them for future work.

Description of Work
Installed gutter topper on approximately 300 feet of gutter (two-story house and garage).

Category gutter repair, replacement windows

06/22/2015

Elvin J.

06/18/2015

Sheila W.

complete disaster

Description of Work
deck

02/24/2015

Georgia F.

The job took about five months and the rood did not pass inspection. City Builders took down all the information and then passed it on to another contractor. It was leaking around the chimney badly but they did not pass on any information to the people that did it so they didn’t know about the specific problems. They didn’t have the shingles that I chose in stock so they just substituted it with something else without even asking me. The workers were of a different nationality and I was told that they couldn’t speak English but they could speak and understand English. They left beer cans on the roof and the yard. I think the price was competitive. The quality was good once the whole thing was done but it took six months to get it.

Description of Work
I hired City Builders to put on a new roof for me.

06/23/2014

Stuart S.

Description of Work
Installed large gutters and leaf guard on our home.

06/09/2014

Wanda K.

Description of Work
Replaced windows |One of the bay windows was defective and has gas between the big glass panes and they will not and do not stand behind there product, we did get in contact with them and they said to bad. The actual date of installation was in summer of 2005.

06/06/2014

Penelope S.

06/18/2013

Caroline L.

We are happy with the Windows. However I suspect that the pricing floats according to visibility of project (busy street + sign = more 'discount'). I will say the installation went smoothly and we are happy with the result. We didn't realize that there'd be a ledge in front of these new windows - kind of looks goofy, but for replacement windows I'm sure we could have done worse. Installers were good & professional. Some of the windows are difficult to lock. Also, the EPA Lead Testing fee is complete bunk. I don't think they did anything different in terms of making sure the lead paint dust didn't come into the house. The only time they put up a screen was for the front door installation. I bet the windows went to the landfill jus the same.

Description of Work
Replaced original house windows with new triple pane windows. Replaced Original front door w/ new front door & screen door.

06/12/2013

James T.

City Builders they called and broke a couple appointments and when they actually came through their prices were way too high.

Description of Work
City Builders gave me an estimate for a deck.

Category decks

02/28/2013

Patricia D.

Awful experience and still living with the issues! Do get references and contact them. Ensure that they have actually had this company do work for them. Do Not rely on their written (what I thinks is self created written references) Call the product manufacturers to verify their product and warranty and do research on these products. Do not rely on what this company tells you.

Description of Work
We purchased side, windows and a door and had them install them all. They tried cutting corners right away with the install of the siding, not placing siding behind the railing of the deck that was closest to the house. (We insisted they correct it right then, not pleasant about it). Replacement windows where Owen Corning windows and we were assured that there was a lifetime warranty. After having multiple issues with seals breaking, screens disintegrating and actual water entering my walls, they refused to try and fix the windows, or replace them and would NOT honer the warranty they touted when they sold us the windows. MY ADVICE IS TO AVOID THIS COMPANY ALL TOGETHER!

Category siding, replacement windows, doors

07/03/2012

Martin S.

They were a real pain to work with. They put the roof on and the next day the same two guys were taking the shingles off and I asked them why they were taking it off. They told me that they thought it was the wrong color but I thought it was the right color and matched the rest of the roof. I was watching them from my kitchen window off; I just couldn't believe it. The price was the same as what everyone else’s price would have been. I told them that they would not get away with changing the tile. I did not understand why they did that. I thought that was stupid of them to do that. The hot tub is lovely and that is because a different company installed it in. They could have gotten it done faster if they were punctual. The quality of work they did was okay; I am happy with it. I would use them in the future only if there was no one else.

Description of Work
I bought a hot tub and I had City Builders built a room around it.

Category remodeling, home builders

05/09/2012

Kalani M.

Their price was competitive.

Description of Work
I used City Builders last summer in June for siding and windows.

04/27/2012

Linda S.

They were very professional, knowledgeable and the work was great. They did a really good job. They had to redo a portion that we didn't realize would have to be redone and they didn't change the quoted price. The quote remained the same which was nice.

Description of Work
We used CITY BUILDERS & SUPPLY.

Category home remodeling

03/12/2012

Linda W.

I was very happy with the siding. They did a nice stuff. The work was not fast because it was just one person doing the siding, but he did a nice job. The windows were heavy with the windows. They replaced the windows. We were not happy with the windows. They didn't finish on time. The man who came to do the job didn't do a good job. They didn’t paint the windows and left it half finished. The pricing is a little bit on the high side.

Description of Work
I used the services of City Builders & Supply for siding and windows. I last used them in October 2011.

02/25/2012

Siobahn M.

The work went by fairly quickly and I'd say for the most part it was fine. The windows were replaced quickly, on the order of only 2 days, while the siding took about a weeks total time. I'm very happy with it, though at this time the siding is showing its age - I need to clean it. All in all it was an acceptable project.

Description of Work
They installed new windows (all replaced) and put vinyl siding on the house.

02/10/2012

Amy L.

This company did an OK job on our gutter cleaning, repair and installation, but took a really long time to get to our house. We signed an estimate/agreement in late October and were told it would take 4 weeks for them to get to our house. It was not completed until late December! In addition, they installed one gutter using a method that resulted in a somewhat unattractive look. It is functional, however.

Description of Work
Gutter cleaning, minor repair and installation of one gutter on our garage.

Category gutter repair

06/30/2011

Sheila W.

A complete disaster. The City Builders crew did severe damage to our driveway Not by driving on it to haul away materials, but by taking their bobcat and continually ramming at the old deck to get it down. In the process they destroyed our asphalt driveway. Then, they refused to pay for any damages even though we were only asking them to pay to replace a section of driveway that they damaged. 20ft long dumpster parked in our front yard. Instead of the street in front of the house. Workers too lazy to move the three pick up trucks they had parked in that spot. Dumpster ran over a tree that we planted last year. Tore up the lawn with many huge ruts. Workers finished the job Thursday. After they finished, I specifically asked when the dumpster was to be picked up. They told me “They will be coming shortly” 5 days later,. we had to call the dumpster company ourselves to pick up the dumpster. The new deck they built had several railing spindles that were not screwed in, and the stairway was not properly secured to the house. Lousy job Oh yea, they didn't even obtain the necessary building permit from the City. That was part of their contract

Description of Work
City Builders was to demolish our old deck and replace it with a new deck so that we could put a 4seasons sun room on to it

Category decks, remodeling, replacement windows, sunrooms

06/30/2011

Elsie D.

good

Description of Work
Replaced gutters on front of h

Category gutter repair

Thank you for your feedback! City Builders and Supply is excited to hear you are satisfied with your gutter work. Please contact us any time if we can be of further assistance to you!

06/29/2011

linda S.

Got an estimate of $1500 - my brother fixed it for $3 worth of hardware from Menard's

Description of Work
Asked for an estimate to fix a patio door

Category doors

Dear member, We appreciate you giving us a chance to provide you with our services! The price we quoted you was to install a brand new custom patio door, not to just change out broken parts on the existing door. We use top of the line materials and brand name parts, as well as have labor costs which can add up quickly. Of course having a relative replace one part on an old door is a great way to save money compared to having a professional do custom work. As always we are here to serve you with free estimates as needs arise! Thanks for your time, The City Builders Team

03/15/2011

James R.

We could not be happier, the work was done on time, excellent craftsmanship by Luther Haugen (windows and doors), and Kris Jacque (siding), Dwight and Denny and the whole crew were fun to work with. The cleanup was awesome, they took all waste away and picked up the yard. We have cut down our usage of propane by over half, and the house is so nice and quiet now, we live on a blacktop in the country and traffic has increased over the years, but we no longer hear any of it. We have been so happy with their work that we are having them install a new walk in shower right now!

Description of Work
We had new siding with bonded insulation, new doors, new THV composite windows installed

Category gutter repair, siding, replacement windows, doors

Dear Member, Thank you so much for the excellent rating and kind words! City Builders looks forward to doing business with you in the future and we appreciate any referrals as well. We are excited to hear more about how your walk in shower turns out!!! Talk to you soon, The City Builders Team

02/08/2011

Michael M.

It went great. Luther, the installer, is a superior Craftsman. The site was kept clean and the whole transaction was hassle free. We got the triple paned PVC windows and love them. Reduced outside noise and the windows do not even feel cold to the touch until outside temp. dips below 20. The sliding glass door is of superior quality as is our new picture window. Very happy.

Description of Work
We had energy efficient windows for the whole house and a sliding glass door installed.

Category replacement windows

Thank you so much for the excellent rating Member! We hope to work with you again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time! Thanks again, The City Builders Team

06/02/2010

Patricia S.

The price was what they quoted me so there weren’t any surprises. They have been around for a while so I went with them. I didn't get any other estimates. I only had certain days that I could get off and I let them know the days I wanted. They didn't get back to me and they just showed up. Luckily I had taken the days off. They were here really quick for the check. They called and said they wanted to get pictures for their book. They got the check and didn’t even take any pictures. Had they waited a couple more weeks, I would have been able to get a tax rebate. They put the windows on from the outside; they didn't even have to get in the house. I wish they had told me so I wouldn't have moved everything. I wasn't happy about those things but they did good work. The guy was actually done a half day early on the windows. I need more work done and they irritated me enough that I might not call them back, but I can't complain about the work.

Description of Work
I used City Builders & Supply for windows and bathroom remodeling. They converted the tub into a shower.

Category replacement windows, home remodeling

Dear Member, I want to personally apologize for any inconveniences the delays and lack of communications may have caused! We would love to do business with you again and hope that we can make up in the future what we may have lacked in the past! City Builders really appreciates all of your comments and compliments as it helps us to improve and we hope you will give us that chance! Let us know if we can be of further assistance. I am so glad you love your new windows!!!

09/03/2008

Carla B.

Excellent! Everything was cleaned up before they left, the windows are exactly as the salesman described, and they even sent a thank you gift. A+ vendor.

Description of Work
Replacement windows.