Upper Left Wealth Management

Founded 2005 • With Angi since December 2012

I focus on people in or near retirement, who want to reduce risk and taxes. UpperLeft Wealth Management is here for anyone planning for and trying to figure out if they're on pace for retirement, or are looking for investment management, advice on social security, home mortgages, taxes in retirement, or other financial questions. Our data-driven processes and strategic planning mean we help you face the curveballs life can throw at you. I am a CFP® and fiduciary, and hold an M.B.A. in finance from Columbia Business School. My reputation is built on your trust. If you're ready to look at improving your odds of success, contact me at www.upperleftwealth.com. ...

A Service Provider's profile image

+3 more images

07/21/2021

Zaneta G.

I learned more from Randy in our introductory call than I did from any of the financial advisors I’ve spoken to before. He suggested concrete steps for my situation and gave straightforward answers to questions I’ve been researching for months. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for honest, practical guidance for their financial future.

Description of Work
Financial Planning

Work Completed On 07/16/2021

11/02/2020

Stacie G.

Randy was extremely helpful with our situation! He was very thorough with his explanation and advice. He provided scenarios that we hadn’t thought of that we will be using. Highly recommend. Professional and courteous.

Description of Work
Financial guidance

Work Completed On 11/02/2020

10/06/2020

Vina W.

I requested on online for appointment they call me with in few hours and confirmed. I asked many questions about financial guidance they clearly explained and supportive.

Description of Work
Financial Guidance

Work Completed On 10/05/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed]! Thanks for the review, but... 1. I don't believe we have spoken before. 2. If we had there would have been no charge, and certainly not $5,000. Best, Randy

02/19/2020

Pat L.

Randy was very straightforward and quickly grasped what I needed. I asked him about financial guidance and he was able to explain what I needed to do in a way that was easy to understand and implement. Will follow his advice.

Description of Work
Financial Guidance

Work Completed On 02/18/2020

Thanks [Member Name Removed]!

05/09/2019

Bill K.

Very well. Even though services probably not right for my situation Randy was courteous, helpful and answered all my questions.

Description of Work
retirement planning

Work Completed On 05/06/2019

12/05/2018

Chris M.

My wife and I had a consultation with Randy back in June. We were extremely pleased with not only his knowledge, but also the amount of advice he was willing to give for free on an initial call! After our call we felt comfortable with our current financial situation and are acting on some of his suggestions. We wouldn't hesitate to call Randy again if we need more guidance in the future. Thanks, Randy!

Description of Work
Financial advise

Work Completed On 06/07/2018

My pleasure [Member Name Removed]!

04/24/2018

Pamela J T.

Thanks Randy for your time and advice! Your advice was very helpful.

Description of Work
Financial Planning

Work Completed On 04/24/2018

My pleasure [Member Name Removed]!

02/28/2018

Diana S.

Randy Kurtz is an extremely knowledgeable financial advisor. He is straightforward, attentive and helpful. His guidance showing me how to make better choices with managing my money was valuable.

Description of Work
Financial Planning

Work Completed On 02/28/2018

Thank you [Member Name Removed]!

09/13/2017

Mark K.

From the first call, Randy was the consummate professional yet friendly. I've been using his services for over two months and already pleased with the results. He is willing to advise on other financial events unrelated to retirement funds. He keeps in regular contact with private quarterly calls. I couldn't be more pleased with his service!

Description of Work
Financial advice and management of retirement investments.

Work Completed On 07/05/2017

Thanks [Member Name Removed]!

05/04/2016

bruce S.

Work Completed On 12/28/2015

03/03/2016

Toshiko B.

Description of Work
retirement financial plan. If somebody has good amount of investment, may be he can help. If no investment , can not help.

Work Completed On 10/29/2015

09/20/2015

Samuel P.

Randy performed a free review of my current portfolio and was extremely helpful in making suggestions and answering any questions I had. He took the time to explain everything in detail and was really nice. While I am not yet ready to make the leap into a globally diversified portfolio, I would definitely recommend him as a financial advisor Sam

Description of Work
Portfolio review and financial advice

Work Completed On 09/18/2015

Thank you! I appreciate the compliments! Best, Randy

09/08/2015

Anthony W.

Randy and his team do a terrific job. They are very different from other financial advisors I have had, and in my opinion are much better. Not only is Randy a super smart advisor, but he is trustworthy. He has a great ability to think critically and to develop approaches that deliver great solutions for our financial needs. I cannot recommend his team more highly.

Description of Work
Randy has managed our assets for years, and he does a fantastic job. He operates as a fiduciary, which is very important to me and ensures that my family's best interest are front and center. He is great at investing and I feel confident with him overseeing our finances.

Work Completed On 08/25/2015

It is my honor to be working with you! Best, Randy

08/18/2015

Meryl C.

Randy Kurtz is amazing and one of the most honest business people I have ever encountered. He spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me discussing my financial standing as I wanted to move my IRA to another company, having fired my prior financial advisor for unresponsiveness and not being happy with the funds I am invested in. Not only did he analyze my situation, he explained that he didn't feel I needed an investment advisor....that I just need a more conservative set of funds to transfer my IRA to and basically let it sit and accumulate in a more even fashion than my current one has done. He even suggested where I place the funds to maximize my stability at a low expense ratio. I highly recommend Randy as, after having listened to him, he is honest, hard-working, has reasonable fees for investment advisement, and a great hands-on approach that I have to assume he would have in his advisor capacity. Fantastic experience!!

Description of Work
Provided a free financial consultation from an Angie's List coupon

Work Completed On 08/18/2015

Thank you for the kind words! Best of luck! Best, Randy

08/05/2015

Vishal N.

I had a very productive phone conversation with Randy. That I am based in Atlanta and he in Chicago would not make a difference in his providing quality service, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I cannot at this point invest the minimum amount that Randy requires to take me on as a client. He explained to me that he does this so that he can keep his client base small and provide better service, something I completely understand. He was however, generous enough to dispense some financial planning advice gratis and answered all my questions very patiently. I (hopefully) look forward to working with him in the future.

Description of Work
Provided me guidance on how to invest my finances.

Work Completed On 08/05/2015

Thank you and best of luck! Don't hesitate to reach out! Best, Randy

05/10/2015

JoAnn H.

I am not currently able to utilize Randy's services, but he was so gracious to spend time talking with me informally about my financial picture and retirement planning. I don't know anything about investing but he patiently explained to me, in layman's language, basic issues I should be aware of and his recommendation of a general investment strategy. Randy is a really smart, kind, helpful, decent person. I hope my review will encourage you to contact him. He is a pleasure to talk to, and in a half hour I went from major anxiety and confusion about how to proceed to a state of clarity and calm.

Description of Work
Gave suggestions about financial planning for retirement.

Work Completed On 05/10/2015

Thank you and best of luck! Don't hesitate to reach out! Best, Randy

04/30/2015

Jane K.

Randy is a super guy. I had a couple of questions about retirement plans and investments, and what to do with my assets in case of an upcoming market crash. He was pleasant, knowledgeable, and willing to give a stranger some financial direction at no cost. I would definitely recommend him as your financial advisor.

Description of Work
He gave me solid financial advice.

Work Completed On 04/30/2015

It was my pleasure to help you out! Thank you so much and best of luck! Best, Randy

04/23/2015

Andrew R.

Unfortunately Randy couldn't accept my account due to logistical constraints, but he was nevertheless kind enough to spend some time and analyze my portfolio and make recommendations. He was an absolute pleasure to interact with and, once my constraints are removed, I will definitely be back.

Description of Work
Randy constructed a model retirement portfolio for me

Work Completed On 04/23/2015

10/07/2014

Brandon S.

I just recently hired Randy and BetaFrontier, and I could not be happier. Their method for managing investments is a breath of fresh air, and it is very different from my past experiences. It seems that everything they do is different, in a very good and refreshing way. I highly recommend giving them a call.

Description of Work
Created a diverse, safe and inexpensive retirement portfolio.

Work Completed On 09/29/2014

It is my pleasure to be working with you! Thank you so much! Best, Randy

10/05/2013

Megan F.

He spent half an hour on the phone with me, explaining things in the markets, and what possible investments would be best for me. He even sent me a book called, "The Little Common Sense Book of Investing," and had added handwritten notes of advice. I couldn't believe that a stranger, and someone that wasn't able to actually take my business, would put so much time and effort into helping me regardless. It really made me wish I made enough money to invest with him. Very shocked by this experience, and how above and beyond this guy went for me.

Description of Work
I was seeking financial advice, and unfortunately don't have enough to invest to be able to work with this man. But he was incredibly helpful, and seemed to genuinely want to make sure I was set on the right path anyways.

Work Completed On 08/15/2013

Thank you so much! Best of luck! Best, Randy

08/28/2013

Karen F.

Randy puts a real emphasis on safety and taxes, and he delivers that in spades. I feel very confident with him managing my estate assets, not only because of how they perform, but because I actually understand my portfolio! That is what really gives me confidence that I am doing the right thing. Randy is one of those people, who when you hear what he proposes, you realize that he is different, and that my interests come first. I highly recommend talking to him.

Description of Work
Randy manages my estate assets. I feel he does a great job. He cares about what I care about... that my money is safe, and that it grows sensibly.

Category

Work Completed On 08/27/2013

Thank you so much [Member Name Removed]!

06/25/2013

Karen F.

Randy has been great. He is very bright, and has a knack for making complicated topics easy to understand. It is clear that he has spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about and researching how to make a well-thought out portfolio. He has certainly created a very diverse offering that I feel very comfortable with. I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Helped re-make my portfolio into a stronger, safer, more tax efficient one.

Work Completed On 07/01/2011