REM Air Conditioning of Tampa

Founded 1976 • With Angi since August 1999

CALL TODAY FOR AN IMMEDIATE RESPONSE! Professional air conditioning company, servicing Tampa Bay air conditioning systems for over 40 years. We live by our honesty, quality, and dependability. We will impress you....

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
Se Habla EspañolSe Habla Español
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

REM Air Conditioning of Tampa 1

+2 more images

HVAC Companies (212)appliance repair (7)electrician (3)air duct cleaning (2)large appliances (1)

08/05/2020

Bruce C.

It was perfect! They were in, and out for 4 and a half hours, and job was done beautiful. I've been using them for years now.

Description of Work
They took out the old unit, and put in the new air conditioner.

Work Completed On 07/14/2020

05/17/2019

William M.

Able to show up same day Tech was very helpful and knowledgeable Cost was reasonable for work done

Description of Work
A/C drain line repair

05/10/2018

Carmel V.

I used them every year and even had them install a new unit. They do a great job. I will continue to use them.

Description of Work
Heating and A/C Service

Work Completed On 01/06/2018

04/12/2018

Brigitte C.

On the positive side, the contractor made appreciated efforts to ensure that I was not without Heat/Ac for too long. The Rheem unit (installed 6/3/2016) broke down on 3/20/2018 and after receiving twice a factory shipment of severely damaged coils he could not use for repair, the contractor opted for replacement (authorized by Rheem) of the entire unit on 3/26/2018. Initial shoddy installation glitches (gaps, panel only partly fastened) were nicely fixed in less than 24 hours. The contractor was very responsive in answering questions on warranty issues, but some remain, such as what exactly the Rheem warranty status is on the new unit (the contractor mentioned that it would take maybe two months to get this clarified by Rheem). There were some problems in the billing area. The tech's initial invoice charge ($805), explained as billing for shipping and refrigerant was not transparent as it was not itemized and erroneous in part as refrigerant was covered under my Extended Warranty Protection plan (facilitated through the contractor at a cost of $800). I did receive a refund check for $405 (noted as a refund for repair work done, a bit strange as no repair was done on the old unit). It was dated 3/29/2018) leaving $400 of a non itemized charge for installation of the new unit. While I am happy a new unit was installed, I am still out of $400. It would probably have been less if the coils had been replaced in the old unit because I would only have been responsible for shipping charges as labor, parts and refrigerant were covered by the Rheem warranty and/or the Extended warranty. In any event, whatever the cost, I did not expect the Package unit installed 6/3/ 2016 to become nonfunctional after about 20 months. This does not reflect quality manufactory by Rheem since the problem was logically due to defective coils, not to normal wear and tear. All in all, although I truly appreciate what REM Air Conditioning of Tampa did to help me, I cannot recommend them as they are a Rheem contractor and the quality of the product is poor. In addition, the errors in billing and lack of transparency of the charges remain a frustrating issue. In conclusion, I hope that the replacement unit will last longer, because a repeat of the problem in less than two years is not acceptable.

Description of Work
Replacement of Rheem Heat/AC Package unit (installed 6/3/2016) with new Package (3/26/2018) due to breakdown caused by leaking coils

Work Completed On 03/26/2018

04/02/2018

Daniel C.

Eleven years ago I purchased a 3-Ton Carrier A/C and Furnace from “Air Flow” for my 1800 square foot home. I did not have any major problems until 11 months ago when “Air Flow” replaced my leaking coil in my furnace. The rust corroded the copper coil causing it to leak. I noticed that the outside condenser was getting more rusty. I wanted to replace my A/C and furnace before I encountered other major problems. On 3-2-18 I purchased a Rheem A/C from “REM Air Conditioning of Tampa.” Before I selected “REM Air Conditioning of Tampa” I searched “Angie’s List” for three other companies. I asked all of the A/C businesses to give me a quote for a condenser (SEER 15), furnace, and thermostat. The first bidder gave me an estimate which did not include a larger return or a 10 year labor warranty. The second bidder was $1240 higher but they included the larger return and 10 year labor warranty. The third bidder was “REM Air Conditioning of Tampa” and REM’s bid also included a 10 year labor warranty. (This combined with the 10 year parts warranty that the manufacturer provides makes it worry free for me in case there are any major repairs that need to be performed.) REM’s bid was initially a lot higher than the second bidder but they ended up with a bid of $325 higher than the second bidder. An important feature of REM’s bid is the higher 16 SEER rating. The other three companies quoted me for a 15 SEER system. The final fourth bidder was ironically my previous A/C company “Air Flow.” Their bid was $1955 above the REM and their quote was for a 15 SEER system without a larger return. Besides the fact that I got a 16 SEER system from REM for $325 more, REM has the second best rating of the four businesses. The rating included Angie’s List and the BBB. During my interview with Joe he mentioned that he can make the A/C more efficient by enlarging the return from 20”x20” to 24”x24.” I researched this online and he was right. Many times a sales person or owner/sales person will exaggerate the truth. As I found out later, Joe was telling the truth. Also, Joe was the only business that mentioned the efficiency of the larger return. On the install day, four friendly & professional installers arrived on time. The installers fixed exposed hole/wires from the original system (Air Flow left it along.) located behind the furnace. One installer in Joe’s crew checked all the vents for proper air flow. Air Flow did not do this 11 years ago. Joe’s crew installed ¾” plywood to strengthen the furnace stand in the garage. The other 3 companies did not mention strengthening the furnace stand. Eleven years ago when “Air Flow” installed the Carrier A/C it took two installers ≈10 hours to complete the installation. In contrast, Joe sent a crew of four installers and they completed the job in 5½ hours. It was a nice day to install the A/C. If it was a hot summer day, REM’s quicker install would get your new A/C working in 5-6 hours vs 10 hours. I paid extra for the return enlargement from 20”x20” to 24”x24.” During the return enlargement, the crew removed the round vent hose (for lack of a better or proper term) that was attached from the return to the bottom of the furnace. They removed the vent hose and sealed the box stand with duct and mastic to prevent any air from escaping the box. It allows the air flow to operate more efficiently (breathe easier) instead of the air flowing in the confined space of a vent hose. You could tell that all of the installers wanted to do a good job. I was impressed with the quality of the work of the four installers. When the installers were almost done, Joe arrived to inspect their work. He found one small problem with the drain and one of his workers fixed it right away. Four days later the Hillsborough County Inspector passed the inspection. I would definitely recommended REM Air Conditioning of Tampa.

Description of Work
Install a new Rheem A/C, Furnace, & Thermostat

Work Completed On 03/02/2018

03/27/2018

Jorge R.

Excellent service by Chris Parks and the installation team. Ben, Tony and Hector

Description of Work
Replaced the Goodman AC with a Rheem unit

Work Completed On 03/27/2018

10/24/2017

Nicholas B.

They did a great job and made a potentially stressful situation smooth and easy.

Description of Work
REM installed a new AC unit on my condo roof and a new air handler in my condominium closet. Joe the REM sales rep was very helpful and gave me great advice. The 4 man crew was wonderful,very professional and got the job done quickly and perfectly. This is a very fine company with great service,knowleadge and integrity! Thank you REM and Angies List.1

Work Completed On 10/05/2017

10/20/2017

John D.

I highly recommend REM Air Conditioning of Tampa. During the middle of last summer, one of my ac units went out and REM was able to come out and fix it within 2 hours of my call. I was so happy with their service that I decided to use them again when I needed to have my ac units cleaned and then when I needed to replace two of my units. Each time my experience with REM was great from start to finish. Their estimator, Joe Mincher, was a pleasure to work with. He’s honest, not pushy and very knowledgeable from years of experience in the business. Every question I had, he answered immediately and no request was too much. REM’s servicemen and installers were also very polite, efficient and they did a good job of cleaning up after themselves. I felt very comfortable with them in my house. I also appreciated the fact that REM credited the amounts I paid them to service and clean my units against the cost of the price to replace the units. They also handled obtaining credits from TECO for the new units and deducted those credits from my bill. I would not hesitate to use REM again. They deserve the highest rating.

Description of Work
Repair upstairs air conditioning unit. Clean two downstairs air conditioning units. Replace upstairs air conditioning unit (inside and outside) then replace one downstairs unit (inside and out). Replace stands for all three outside units.

Work Completed On 10/20/2017

10/13/2017

pat S.

He sealed all the leaks, tested his work, and it gave me a great deal of relief to know the house wouldn't smell like pollen, pollution, mower fumes, etc.

Description of Work
Air conditioner was leaking outside air, the house was always humid and I had a high bill.

Work Completed On 10/13/2017

10/04/2017

Sharon B.

Joe came the next morning right at 9 am as promised. He was very friendly and professional. Within 30 minutes, he had everything written up and explained it all in great detail. He even said they could get it done that very same day! I agreed, and within the hour 2 teams of 2 employees came with all that was needed to complete the job. They worked like a well oiled machine, did an amazing job, and cleaned up so well you would never know they had been there--aside from the super quiet new a/c unit, which was fully installed within 6 hours! Everyone was courteous and friendly and did a great job! I highly recommend using REM Air Conditioning.

Description of Work
The central air conditioning unit, both the inside and outside units were old, starting to have problems and used the old type of Freon. I called REM Air Conditioning to have the system serviced, however it would have been costly to clean and repair, and it would still be an old unit with old Freon. So I agreed to have someone come out to give me an estimate to replace everything with a newer and more efficient heat pump air conditioner.

Work Completed On 10/04/2017

09/19/2017

Gordon R.

I'd give them an "A" for overall, they are the ones that installed the system and they keep it under warranty as long as you do the service through them each year. For price, they get an "A", based on what I've seen other people charge. I'd give them all "A's". I would use them again most definitely. They are very professional and not low cost but you get what you pay for.

Description of Work
Annual checkup and service.

Work Completed On 08/19/2017

07/12/2017

W Richard S.

I had a good experience with them at first. I had to teach the tech to use a voltage meter to test the outlet in the wall. He told me that I needed a new compressor, so I asked for an older man that knew about air conditioning, I haven't had any problems since they sent him out. He understands air conditioning and that's pretty rare. I will continue to use him.

Description of Work
He repaired the squirrel cage.

Work Completed On 07/06/2017

06/15/2017

Roger S.

They completed the work now one day and made sure the ducts were sealed and expanded the intake in the house. They clean up after their work and left the hue as neat as when the arrived.

Description of Work
I had my 20 year old AC replaced

Work Completed On 05/17/2017

06/02/2017

James M.

The service tech (Chris) quickly diagnosed the problem and had the unit working like new in a very short time. Chris was very professional and friendly. I would definitely recommend both Chris and this company to anyone needing A/C work.

Description of Work
Air conditioner had stopped cooling. Also a complete checkup of the air conditioner both inside and outside units.

Work Completed On 06/02/2017

05/29/2017

James P K.

Leo was very helpful and even offered some basic instructions to fix the fan myself. After a bit of hesitation, my spouse and I decided to call Leo back and have him make the repair (on Memorial Day). He came with the exact part we needed and had us back up and running about 15 minutes after arriving. Thank you !!

Description of Work
Blower Motor would not run.

Work Completed On 05/29/2017

05/16/2017

Liz E.

They were very professional and thorough. They seem expensive until you see the quality of the work, down to the smallest details that were provided to ensure that the entire system remains problem free for years to come.

Description of Work
Replacement of handler and compressor as well as installation of a second return

Work Completed On 04/11/2017

04/21/2017

danny K.

Everything went well. I would use them again and appreciate trying to fix the system first before pushing the replacement option.

Description of Work
Joe came out to give a second estimate on replacing my AC system in a townhome. He figured out a cheaper repair that would only cost a few hundred and was half of what the previous company would have charged and difference which is kind of weird. Glad he fixed it. Will likely have to replace the old system in a few years; but I appreciate that he was able to diagnose it properly and fix it quickly versus just jumping into the sales pitch on a new system.

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 04/21/2017

03/09/2017

Daniel C.

I have a service contract with them. I am pretty happy with them.

Description of Work
They came out for a routine check up.

Work Completed On 12/15/2016

01/30/2017

David W.

Leo did a great job educating me on the problem and fixing it quickly. He was on time and did a very good job tuning up the unit while he was on site. I have had some problems with another local HVAC company in the past; I am happy to have found REM as my future go to HVAC service company.

Description of Work
Heat would not turn on because capacitor was blown.

Work Completed On 01/30/2017

01/26/2017

Caroline J.

I've never had any trouble scheduling them. They have someone out here in this area that comes and they pretty much work with me on what time they come. They are comparable to everybody else so nothing special. I have no reason not to use them.

Description of Work
I use a company called REM. A month or two ago they did my regular air conditioning checkup.

Work Completed On 11/01/2016

12/01/2016

ROBERT J.

They communicate everything with me. They make it all very clear as to what's going on, what they're checking and the condition of everything. They have good interpersonal relationships.

Description of Work
We use REM Air Conditioning. They last came out for what they call an air conditioning tune-up which was just a check-up.

Work Completed On 11/29/2016

11/18/2016

Ronald A.

I asked them for a quote and it was too high.

Description of Work
Asked them for a quote

Work Completed On 03/01/2016

Sorry , we checked our database and have no customer with this name or address that we serviced or quoted a system . Thanks Joe Mincher

10/26/2016

Kristie C.

This is the 2nd time I have hired REM Air Conditioning and I would hire them again immediately for any project. I had them remove the original Air Conditioner in a condo that I purchased that had not been maintained at all by the previous owner (who had a renter living in the unit). When I called to get an estimate, they remembered working on my previous condo and treated me like I was a member of their family. They are courteous, prompt, professional and trustworthy. It's always tough knowing who to trust, but you can definitely trust REM Air Conditioning because they take great pride in their work and are not pushy in trying to upsell you on something you don't need. They genuinely want to help you and make sure you have everything you need to stay cool on the hot FL days. I cannot say enough about how wonderful and responsive this company is and I highly recommend them for any emergency or replacement you may need.

Description of Work
Replace AC unit in mid-rise condo