Challenger Pools

With Angi since April 2002

2.8

Sun King Pool Services

Newell Outdoors LLC DBA Sun King Pool Services provides superior expertise, technicians and equipment to provide the highest level of pool service available for pool cleaning in Tampa and surrounding areas. We are fully insured and we guarantee your satisfaction with all pool services performed by our professionally trained technicians. Our pool maintenance services extend beyond basic pool cleaning, pool repair and spa maintenance. We are your complete swimming pool and spa company. We provide spa installation, pool enclosures, remodeling and renovations, inter locking pavers, pool maintenance programs for every budget, leak detections, tile cleaning, vacuuming, backwashing, water chemical testing, stain prevention, stain removal and much more! Our friendly knowledgeable staff can help answer any questions or concerns you may have. Our company is totally committed and focused on our customer's highest satisfaction with our services. Through strong teamwork, continuous training, implementing the latest technology, and honest hard work our customers can rest assured that we are going the extra mile for their satisfaction.

GPS Pools Inc

Licensed and insured! Retail pool store and Residential & Commercial pool service. We also Remodel Existing Pools. All services provided are based on an honest open relationship with every customer we encounter and stand behind our work. Hours of operation - Mon-Sat 9:00 AM-5:00 PM ;Sun CLOSED. Commercial services 24 hrs a day 7 days a week

Ronny Snow's Pool Patrol

****WE DO NOT SERVICE OR INSTALL ABOVE GROUND POOLS**NO VINYL OR FIBERGLASS** ****WE SPECIALIZE IN RESURFACING AND REMODELING YOUR IN GROUND POOL ALONG WITH MANY OTHER OUTDOOR LIVING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS*** We are a complete custom concrete pool remodeling and resurfacing company serving the Pinellas and North Hillsborough Counties since 2010. We also specialize in tile, decking, Pavers, travertine, splitface stacked stone. We primarily do Pool Resurfacing and Pool Remodeling Service. ****WE DO NOT SERVICE OR INSTALL ABOVE GROUND POOLS**NO VINYL OR FIBERGLASS**

02/03/2021

Terrell G.

So far all is going well. My number one concern is not the speed of work, but the quality of the work at a fair and reasonable price. I understand that construction issues will come up. For one, we have had zero construction issues...at least not that I know of. It has been ugly to look at sometimes, but I understand permitting and the added that people will try to hold contractors to a timeline that they have no control over. But I will hold you to the commitment of quality! This, they are doing well. We are in the final phases of construction and all is going well. When I contact Eric, he responds quickly by text, or simply showing up onsite a day later, or someone else showing up on site. Eric takes his work very seriously, and he is very professional...and that's all I ask. Because we went with custom built pool, larger than normal spa, pool enclosure, pavers, gas heating, and saltwater pool; we requested 7 quotes. Do your homework! I do recommend Cody Pools. They may promise you the fastest or the cheapest, but they will make sure you have the best in quality.

Description of Work
Cody Pools (Challenger Pools)

01/12/2020

Kathy W.

I am writing to share our extreme dissatisfaction regarding the process of purchasing and installing a pool from Challenger Pools. Our process began on March 3, 2019 and did not commence until November 8, 2019. It began with our salesman Kevin, who was scattered, brained as he lost documents, tile selections, and plans to submit to the county. Kevin informed us that the total process from 'contract to swimming? was 4 months, which took into consideration county and HOA approval. He stated construction was 6-8 weeks, both of which were vastly incorrect. Our second project manager stated we should have been told 8-10 weeks, which was also not correct. Additionally, all employees should be stating the same policy, which they are not. Your company grated our backyard on May 24, 2019, the Friday before Memorial Day, WITHOUT HOA approval or notifying us. Had they contacted us prior, they could have averted the mistake they made. This was a holiday weekend when we were having guests from out of town and our backyard was a mess for 8 weeks and we were unable to water our lawn for that time frame as they had broken our irrigation system. We understand we would have contended with that issue during the construction but not for 8 weeks when no work was being done. When we called to complain, their response was it was the scheduling department's fault. Our first contractor Tommy was never accessible and unresponsive to our texts or phone calls. We understand the HOA approval is an uncontrollable from your standpoint; however, part of the delay was the wrong plans were submitted to the county from your company that had incorrect measurements for the setback. Finally on July 8, 2019, we received HOA approval and notified your office. For 2 weeks we attempted to get a status update on when construction would begin and on July 21, 2019, with no advance notice, 4 � months from the time we signed the contract, we came home to an outline. On July 23, 2019, the hole was dug for the pool and no other work was done for 5 weeks until August 21, 2019 when the concrete was poured. We will concede there were some days it rained but 5 weeks without any progress and no communication? On September 3, 2019 we were advised both Kevin the salesman and Tommy the GC were no longer with Challenger Pools and Mark would be our new GC contact. I called and texted Mark on September 10, 2019 to discuss all of our challenges and revised schedule and he stated he would call me after his construction meeting, he never did. It appeared that we were going down the same road again. On or about September 15, 2019, I called Cody Pools to lodge a complaint. I was given the cell phone number of Brett, Mark's supervisor. I had a nice conversation with Brett and he assured me we would be satisfied and Mark was going to be attentive and accessible. I attempted to give Mark another opportunity. We were assured that we would receive better customer service, which neither Kevin nor Tommy provided. However, sadly that was not the case. The next work that took place was on September 20, 2019 when our pavers were installed and we were promised by Mark that it would be complete in one day but if not they would work through the weekend. That of course did not happen. I began to include Brett in all of my text correspondence I had with Mark. Gunite was completed on October 3, 2019, 5 weeks after concrete was poured. Water went into the pool on October 4, 2019 and final punch work was not complete until November 8, 2019, 8 months from signed contract. We lost the entire summer that we should have been enjoying our pool. In addition to poor communication, a very slow (and in my opinion unavoidable) process, and lack of urgency from GC, there were additional items that caused the delay including broken filter that didn't pass initial plumbing inspection, pool light that was broken 5 days after install, (it was sitting in sludge with the electrical cord exposed for about a month and I specifically asked Mark about it and he said it would be fine, clearly not), broken sidewalk, cracked meter box, a missing umbrella valve sleeve on the plans that was missed, plumbing issues for waterfall and salt cell, clean up that was delayed weeks due to scheduling issues, alarm scheduling issues, and numerous broken promises and revised completion dates. Between my husband, myself, Mark and Brett, there were over 350 texts/pictures sent between us all between the end of August and November that I can provide if necessary that demonstrate all of the issues contained in this letter. I had tried numerous times to maintain my patience but between delays, no communication and a condescending attitude (have texts to support), I shared with both Mark and Brett that due to all of our issues, I was requesting some form of compensation at their discretion as it was clear that this was a very unprofessional job that caused delays and frustration that Challenger was responsible for. It's completely unacceptable and is definitely a reflection of your company, to have had so many issues. Additionally there were major communication issues and subcontractor issues that also poorly reflect on your company. Had I not stayed on top of the issues, we'd still be dealing with this nightmare. Part of the problem is the sub-contractors you hire as they also reflect negatively on your company. As you can imagine, I am beyond frustrated and honestly offended there was no effort on Brett or Mark's part to provide any compensation particularly as they were informed I would be contacting Cody Pools. One last note, we still have not received our lien release. FROM THEIR WEBSITE:A beautifully designed pool is only as enjoyable as it's construction quality. Cody Pools is consistently recognized for our superior swimming pool construction process. Even more impressive is our constant ability to construct a pool with a minimum of intrusions to our customers? property, and their schedule. On average, our construction process can have you enjoying your pool in as little as 30-45 days. While other pool companies can leave you in frustration over the length of construction due to their available resources and overall quality, Cody Pools lets you enjoy your swimming pool quicker, and worry free.

Description of Work
In ground pool installation

11/15/2018

Teresa H.

Challenger built my pool about 25 years ago and installed fiber optic lighting. The fiber degrades over time and the lights basically stopped working. I contacted them to see what they would charge to upgrade my pool to LED lighting. I've done the research and it is doable. But, I'd like to have someone familiar with my original light installation to do the work, if possible. They did not bother to call me back and I thought that was exceptionally rude. If they had called and declined the job I would have been disappointed but I would have understood. But, they didn't even call me back.

Description of Work
No work was done. They never called me back.

10/16/2018

Donald G.

We cancelled after reading reviews from prior customers on the BBB site and Goggle. We would have retained them if they had only provided us with an explanation of what went wrong with those prior pool projects and what is now in place to ensure those issue won't surface on our project. They refused. We had a great salesmen that was knowledgeable and an overall good guy. However; like I told him, he's paid to make sales not manage the projects on the ground so unless I have some assurances, I will bounce; which we did.

Description of Work
We contracted to have an in-ground pool installed.

06/03/2015

Matthew L.

The person from Challenger showed up on time. We discussed the project, he took measurements and did a 3d rendering on the spot. That pretty much where it ended. After several emails asking for the written quote, I have not received a reply, nor will I continue to try and do so. Very slow to respond this early in the process raises red flags for me. But then, after reading reviews and doing research into the company in the State of Florida, that in itself is a red flag.

Description of Work
Came to home to discuss a pool build quote

10/02/2014

John L.

Stay Away. Had pool installed and it was a nightmare since day 1. Everything is sub contracted out. Office does not communicate with project manager, sub contractors, or home owner. Only time they call is to collect a check. Pool was not built as agreed on signed contract, shotty paver work, left yard a disaster, installed incorrect tile, salt generator did not work, plaster was done poorly and has stains. Awful customer service, communication, and overall quality. Company screwed up the permitting and delayed build for 3 weeks. Was not complete on time as promised. Working with my legal team to take to court.

Description of Work
New pool construction.

Category pool cleaners,swimming pools

05/08/2013

Scott A.

We met with Mark the svce rep on a Saturday afternoon. He seemed very eager for the business. We set up an appointment for that Wednesday evening. He was a no show. Have called on a number of occasions and left msgs. No return call, nothing.

Description of Work
na

04/10/2013

Diane and Richard M.

We bought the pool years ago, but in the beginning it had stains in it. We found out later that the dirt they used to mix the cement had problems. There are several cracks as well that showed up right away. They sent a guy out, but he said there wasn't much he could do. I would not recommend them to anyone. There were problems all through the process.

Description of Work
The put in a swimming pool, which included an incloser.

12/10/2012

fred K.

It started on a Sat with the enclosure removal. on the next Tues the excavator came and removed the pool. On Wed the dirt came and filled the hole. On Thur they dug the ditch for the new footer. On Fri they poured the footer and on Mon they came and put down the Paver deck and on the next Wed they installed the new deck enclousre. After that it was area clean up and project done The hardest part of the whoe project is to have a clear understanding as to what the cean up is to look like.It is anly fair to have a clear understanding as it all reverts back to cost.

Description of Work
Wanted a pool removed. Contacted many .but Jay at Challenger responded with the most positve attitude. Being scared stiff of dealing with general contractors and subs. Jay walked me through it with complete understanding. Jay used absolutely no pressure to get the order. It just developed as a mattter of evolution. The work started on schedule and marched through the whole process without a blip.. All the infor on the sub's was furnished such as insurance and most importantly the lein releses. I can not be stong enough on reccommending the use of this company for work. It is a pleasure to deal with someone that when it was finished that one knows it was a good choice. Thank you Jay.

01/04/2009

luis L.

To start this is a well respected and established pool co in Tampa. Our experience is that the pool components have been placed well but the follow through has been deplorable. Six weeks after completion there are components that are not 'finalized'. These details include a missing check valve and electrical component for our salt system. In essence, once all the money was paid they became 'hard to get a hold of". Only after repeated calls to the project manager on his cell phone did things moved forward. I think the craftsmanship is commendable but one needs to stay on them continually or things will 'slide'. They know they are one of the best and frankly you want to have a pool company that will be around for the life of your pool. Their subcontractors repeatedly left trash and debris in our yard.

Description of Work
Installed pool and spa. Installed screen enclosure.

Challenger Pools

With Angi since April 2002

2.8

6846 N Dale Mabry

Tampa, FL 33614

Pool Remodel, Construction, Pool Deck, Pool Design, Spa, Screen Enclosure, Pool Sanitation