A Great Fence

Founded 1995 • With Angi since November 2009

3.6

A Great Fence is a well established licensed and insured fencing company. We go above and beyond the industry standards when building our fences. Our specialties are hand built aluminum, pvc/vinyl, hand built wood, chainlink, temp fencing, custom railings(FDOT etc) estate gates, automatic openers, etc. We provide you A Great Fence at a guaranteed price. We will beat any written estimate from a licensed and insured contractor. Several references are available upon request. Call us at 772-812-0223. Also visit us at agreatfence.com...

A Brush Above

Custom residential home & commercial painting, specializing in repainting.

Caleb's Painting

Caleb has multiple years of experience in interior and exterior painting. He takes pride in each job and guarantees customer satisfaction. Call today for your free estimate.

Dennis Long Painting Services LLC

I started my painting business here in South Florida 3+ years ago. I've been doing this trade as early as 13 when I started working with my dad who ran a painting business for 40 years! I learned everything I know from him. My wife and I run this business together. We have years of experience, take pride in our work and will not leave the job until our customer is happy! We would love to make your job the next on our list!

06/28/2018

Angela G.

Please stay away from this company! Derrick walked the entire perimeter of my property with me as we discussed where exactly the fence would be. He clearly understood. When he wrote the quote. He somehow left 50’ feet off (making the quote very competitive compared to other companies). So I went with their services. I didn’t realize that 50’ was left off until they were installing the fence! They said “oh well, you signed off”. Talk about a sneaky and dirty company!!! Now they want to get more money for “extra” 50’. Wow. Companies like this should be shut down.

Description of Work
Chain link fence

Category fencing

First and foremost the customer never called me to discuss the issue or else I would have worked with her. The contract was clearly written based on where the customer told me she wanted the fence. Also customer supplied her own arbors which took us 6.5 hours each (13 hours total) and we did that for free. It's a shame the customer goes off the deep end telling lies and giving bad reviews versus calling me first. We would had been more then willing to work with her. It's unfortunate a customer would go to these lengths just to try and get something for free. I even pointed to where she wanted the fence to end and she agreed now all of a sudden that has changed. We should have gotten 5 stars and an A+ for doing 13 hours of free labor putting together the most elaborate arbors the customer could find. Shame on us for going the extra mile.

08/28/2017

Joy M.

The worst fence company ever, do not hire them. They do substandard work and now are threatening to tear down our fence that we have already paid $1,690 for because we will not pay the balance for a fence that has to be rebuilt to comply with code and or HOA. Did not build fence to the specifications written out in the contract. Spacing was to be 1 1/2" on pickets, it runs the gambit from 5" to less than an inch to no spacing.

Description of Work
Fence installation

Category fencing

Completely false. First of all the fence was built per contract. We did follow the spacing requirements of fence. Also we were about to complete the fence when all of a sudden the customer changes there mind about there gate. Instead of wanting the gate built per contract they want a custom welded aluminum gate with a welded custom lockbox. We tried explaining this is not in the contract and it would take some time to get. We ordered custom lockbox and welded aluminum gate. However because it was not installed in less then 9 working days customer starts threatening us of not paying us. Also we did receive pictures showing spacing of a couple of areas where pickets needed to be cut in strips to meet +-1.5" spacing. We explained to customer that we were going to cut smaller pickets when we returned with custom gate. There was no sense making 2 trips. Unfortunetly this customer does not understand that custom gates with custom lockboxes take time. Now due to there non payment and refusal to pay for there fence we are going to follow our contract and sue customer for non payment. It's a shame because fence looks great and customer would not allow us to do our final completion of fence. Now they are trying to bad mouth us through the community. We have several very happy customers thought out the entire community that loved our fences and service. 1 more note on customers grading. They went with us because we were the lowest priced, our responsiveness was incredible, punctuality very good and we have always been very professional. We have A's across the board until customer doesn't receive fence at half price and doesn't get a new gate for free now all of a sudden we get F's. We also communicated with customer calling to update them on the entire process as well as calling when they were scheduled. Customers should not be allowed to leave reviews when they are caught lying.

08/14/2017

Lynne S.

When I first met the GM during an estimate he was a very nice accommodating man. Boy was that wrong! First the installers came and told me they get paid by the job so they are out quick. The quality of the fencing showed it. To start off, the gas and phone line were cut causing delays. Apparently they were not marked! When the fencing was "completed" the installers left 2 gates with 3-4 inch gaps between the gate and the fence post. I sent the photos to Darrick and they came back to fix it the next day. It looks awful. Then after further inspection the pickets and posts are unbelievably not in order. Most of the posts are slightly tilted and not even. The pickets are placed with different spacing. In some places they are regularly spaced and in others they are right next to each other! A few are half on one side of a post and half on the other. When approached with this Darrick's answer was "it passed inspection so it is complete." The fence looks awful! This business should be called "not so great fence." Would never recommend them to anyone. When questioned about something afterwards even the office staff was not very nice.

Description of Work
Needed to have existing fence and gates replaced.

Category fencing

I have seen the fence and it looks great. What this customer is stating is false and I will prove it. First of all if gates were 3 to 4 inches away from posts then the striker that holds the gate closed would not reach post therefore gate would not stay closed or latch. All of the posts and pickets were level and plumb we explained that as lumber dries it will shrink and sometimes the wood will bow slightly. The grading we were given makes no sense what so ever. We were punctual from giving the estimate, providing the fence quote, mobilizing, and returning when customer had an issue. Even customer said we were there the next day. Customer grades us a D on price yet we are the best price of all fence company's out there. In regards to the underground utilities we don't start a job without having everything underground marked which it was and we have the ticket to prove it. Based on my knowledge of this job, how the fence looks upon completion, and not believing the untrue statements written by customer I grade this job an A across the board. Fence was done in a timely manner, we were the lowest priced, fence looks great, we were punctual, quick to return when we realized customer wasn't happy, followed up with another visit even though there was nothing wrong with fence. In my opinion I say great job to employees of a great fence.

06/29/2017

Jo B.

I have since learned from my landscaper, that they can't mow my fenced area because they can't get the mower through the gates. They are using a weed whacker to cut that whole area. I contacted A Great Fence to see if we could resolve this problem. I told them I was willing to work with them, but I didn't think I should have to absorb the whole cost. Their suggestion was that I get a new lawn company with a smaller mower. I have used my present lawn company for about 18 years and I don't feel they should be punished because the fence company misled me. I'm surprised they didn't suggest that I, a 76 year old widow, mow my lawn myself. They will, however, be happy to charge me to put in 6 foot gates instead. I am extremely unhappy with their attitude and lack of customer service. They accept no responsibility whatsoever.

Description of Work
When I got my estimate for my fence, I asked the estimator if the 2 gates I wanted would accommodate my landscapers mower. He assured me a 5 foot gate was sufficient. When the installer was here, I asked about the width of the gates again and was assured, again, that a 5 foot gate was sufficient.

Category fencing

We have been using 5 foot wide gates for almost 20 years with no issues. I don't know of any lawn company that miss residential lawns that can't for through a 5 foot wide gate. Customer never told me that her lawn company is using a commercial mower that should only be used for commercial propertys. We have thousands of 5 foot wide gates all over port st Lucie and this is the first complaint about this issue. We even recommended another lawn service and customer refused. Not much we can do when we follow our contract and she has a lawn company that's using a mower they shouldn't be using. We also suggest to call several other lawn company's and they will confirm everything I have said which is all lawn company's I'm aware of in port st Lucie can fit through a 5 foot wide gate when mowing residential areas. It's a shame we get a bad review because a lawn company is wrong. We wish her the best of luck.

05/11/2017

Heidi D.

Called these guys to build a fence around my pool. When the owner, Derrick, came by for the estimate my husband told him it was a newly constructed home and the city required the black mesh around the pool because he didn't have a fence yet to act as a pool barrier. Derrick then proceeds to build a fence that is not a pool barrier because he "assumed that it didn't need to be" because it had the black mesh around it. When my husband called, Derrick admitted he didn't ask if it needed to be a pool barrier because he just assumed that the black mesh was in place for that. (Really?) But he did say that he would come up with a solution that would make everyone happy. The next day we get a call and an email requesting the remainder of the payment. When we called Derrick again, he basically said he wasn't going to do anything about it and that we were to pay for our nonpool barrier fence around our pool. Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Horrible people to deal with. Please save your money and go elsewhere. Not only are these people not the smartest apples in the bunch, but they are also very lacking in terms of customer service.

Description of Work
Building a fence around a pool.

Category fencing

Absolutely false. The pool already has a barrier fence and never did the customer tell me that they were taking down the existing pool barrier. I wrote on the contract that there pool has an existing pool barrier and that the new fence is not a pool barrier. Both of the customers even admitted to me that they never read the contract they just looked at the price. The city of [Member Information Removed] inspected fence and it passed the inspection. The customer said the fence failed inspection however when we checked with the city they said it had passed the inspection. The customer later called after reading contract and have agreed to pay more money to have gates self close and self lock. It's unfortunate to get a bad review when the fence looks great and we were very clear on our contract exactly what we were doing.

06/26/2016

Delila M.

The St. Lucie County Contractor Examining Board suspended AGF’s permitting privileges finding that AGF violated the law by failing to display its county certification numbers; fraudulently departing from, or disregarding, plans or specifications in material respect, without the consent of the owner or his duly authorized representative; and, committed a willful, fraudulent act as a contractor as a result of which another was financially injured. See, SLC Contractor Examining Board (“CEB”) Findings of Fact, Conclusion of Law and Order, Case No. 86448. Also, see complaints and victim’s detailed Power Point Presentation placed in the CEB’s public records on March 16, 2016. On June 10, 2016, the SLC Court ordered Darrick Bailey d/b/a AGF to return our money, pay court costs and interest on its judgment. The court found that Mr. Bailey had failed to perform his part of the contract in three ways: (1) he installed the fence on a day other than agreed; (2) he failed to install the fence at the contracted height; and, (3) he removed the fence although there was no refusal to pay. See, Philip M. Tatarowicz and Delila L. McKenna, Plaintiffs, vs. Darrick R. Bailey d/b/a A Great Fence, LLC, Defendant, Case No. 2015-SC-002025. Also, see Plaintiff’s detailed trial notes (Power Point Slides), placed in the court’s public records on June 1, 2016. AGF is nominally owned by Darrick Bailey, but controlled by his father Bob Bailey (together, “management”). In their dealings with us management acted unhampered by honesty or any concern for fair dealings. Moreover, Darrick Bailey is a bully and has serious anger management issues. For instance, during the first trespass, he didn't care that AGF's actions were adversely impacting a senior citizen or his wife. During his second trespass, he didn't care that his unlawful removal of the fence could jeopardize the safety of pet dogs. Sadistically, like many bullies, he seemed to take pleasure in these events; and, laughingly, baited us to sue him if we didn't like it. It was only after we fell victims to AGF that we discovered that we were not alone in their harassments, given what we learned in other public review cites. Unsurprisingly, since Darrick Bailey d/b/a/ AGF has been adjudged guilty; and, as a result, had its fence permitting privileges suspended, and ordered to return our money, pay court costs and interest on the judgment, management continues to verbally attack us as liars, crazy, etc. One can chose to believe AGF, or the impartial administrative and judicial officials who reached their decisions after careful and detailed review of the evidence and records. At this point, the record speaks for itself. Buyer beware! We were victims. We cannot in good conscious recommend AGF or its management over the many good, ethical, honest and hardworking fence contractors that exist. After AGF illegally trespassed and ripped out the fence, all within a couple of weeks we were able to identify another contractor who installed the fence perfectly and professionally ... and, while not asked for, at a price less than what AGF had charged us.

Description of Work
All in one week A Great Fence ("AGF") arrived on a day it had expressly informed it would not, and demanded more money to leave or stay; trespassed after being told by us to leave and schedule an installation date as previously agreed; installed a fence in clear breach of the contract terms; out of clear retaliation and spite, made a ridiculous claim that it had been refused payment over a relatively minor amount; and, then, without legal right again trespassed and ripped out the fence! With laughter in his voice, Darrick Bailey told us to sue him if we did not like what he was doing to victimize us. Also, he instructed us not to forget filing a Licensing Board complaint too.

05/10/2016

BILL H.

Wow! After finally getting the permits from the county (it takes forever, but it is out of the company's control) and finding a crew that met their work ethics and expectations (we would rather you wait and have a quality job) they installed the fencing. We were set to go. Unforseen problems with the neighbors slowed and sometimes stopped the work. A Great Fence sent the Big Boss out to handle the situation!! This was a big deal as the police were called numerous times due to neighbor interference. A professional job, by a professional company. You can't go wrong with A Great Fence!! Communication was excellent!

Description of Work
Installed a shadow wood fence with chain link supported wooden gate.

Category fencing

Thank you very much for the positive review. Sometimes your neighbors can be unreasonable but we have dealt with this situation before. We handle it as professionally as possible and we are happy you love your fence.

10/04/2015

Beverly Y.

Darrick came to our home soon after contact, and quoted aprice of $490 to replace 3 cyclone fence posts with 4, and $150 to replace half of our gate to our river access (total $640). Initially we were only going to remove 2 posts and replace them with 3, and he was figuring the estimate at under $400. When we saw that there was another post that needed replacement, the cost went up to $490. We paid half up-front and told him to notify us when the work would be done as we wanted to be home, and that we would not be home the next day. Their crew came the next day (while we were gone) and replaced the 3 existing bad posts with 3 new posts, and mounted the half gate. I received the billing for the whole amount quickly and called them to say the work was not done correctly, but that we would stick with the work as is providing there was a decent discount for the missing post. The discount offered was $25, and I got a long explanation from Derrick about crew mobilization, etc. I countered that we were just trying to be decent about a botched job, and that the discount offered was insulting?so they should do the job as originally contracted (which would involve them removing 2 of the posts put in to properly space 3 posts). They agreed, and said they would notify us when, as we need to be home. Now I found that the half gate they mounted was on a post that they had to know during installation was completely rotted at the bottom (a fact obscured to us by the vegetation and river debris left by tides around the base). Shouldn?t they have at least reported this to us? The original work was done on 9/14. They agreed to come back and do the original job right on 9/22. The other half of the payment is pending. I wanted to give them time to correct their original mistake, but it is several weeks, and we have heard nothing. Having also found the flaw with the gate post this morning and given the poor response, I strongly do NOT recommend this company. As an update (Oct 10), we were finally contacted the day submitting the above review (coincidence?). Prior to that there had been absolutely no effort to contact us to set an appointment. Their crew came and did the work as originally contracted. The crew said they noticed the gate post was loose, but didn't think to leave a note (since we weren't home during the initial installation. We'll find someone else to correct that. I still maintain that we saw the estimate price jump precipitously (by about $100) during the initial estimate when we added the fourth post--so I don't buy the explanation.

Description of Work
The contract was to remove 3 cyclone fence posts, and replace them with 4 (2 were to be replaced by 3 and evenly spaced), and to replace half of a gate to our river access.

Category fencing,driveway gates

The reason we have not been back out to add 3rd post is because the customer is not available 2 days out of a work week. We are trying to schedule her job when the fence crew is not in the middle of another job. In regards to the discount given to customer I explained to her whether we install 3 posts or 4 posts the pay labor we pay the fence guys remain the same. After telling her this I explained that if she didn't want the last post installed the only thing we can do is subtract our cost on material since the labor is the same. In regards to gate post holding gate, I do an estimate based on the issues I can see. I don't dig around ever post to see if a post is rusted through. I do shake posts as well as look for signs of rust to see if there are issues. I guess customer is just not happy unless we take off hundreds of dollars and we lose money on job. Unfortunately we can't please everyone even though we try very hard to.

08/26/2015

Linda H.

Installer was prompt and professional.

Description of Work
Installed fence as requested.

07/09/2015

Catherine D.

This is a terrible company to do business with. I contracted with them for fencing repairs, the owner Derrick knows the fencing is padlocked for security reasons. Yet the office would not set an appointment with me to let them in "because they don't do that". When I was not home to let them in, they put me at the bottom of the list and I waited another 4 week. Finally, I was given Derrick's cell number, and we made arrangements for me to meet them. They did not show nor did they call and in fact I waited at home for another 3 days before they showed up. The repairs for the wood fence were more extensive, and they charged for the additional work. No problem. However, the work on the chain link gate was not as promised, and in fact is not functional. Nor will they refund the money for the work not completed. Stay away from these people. can I give a minus star?

Description of Work
fencing repairs

Category fencing

First of all we told customer we were starting job then customer turned us away because she wanted to be there. We have a very tight schedule and we I formed her if she didn't want the guys to start that she would have to wait longer for another opening and she agreed. Also I did not know that all of the gates were locked for security reasons so I wish she would not lie about things that were not said to me. When we started the job and started to dig into the ground there was a huge cement foundation in the ground. We stopped the job and explained the options going forward. The fence crew did alot of extra work not even on contract to work with this lady's fence that was completely rotted and falling apart. After going above and beyond for the customer in more ways then she realized then I get a bad review because the customer doesn't understand you can only do so much with a fence that is rotted and falling apart. We completed the job as it was explained to customer. Some people just want something for nothing even after going the extra mile for 2 days to make customer happy. I hope she enjoys her fence and has a great day.

A Great Fence

Founded 1995 • With Angi since November 2009

3.6

515 NW Enterprise Dr Ste A

Port Saint Lucie, FL 34986

Fencing Services

We service everything involving fencing.

MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, Visa, Financing Available