Edd Helms Group Inc

Founded 1975 • With Angi since March 2006

17850 NE 5 Ave

Miami, FL 33162

Edd Helms Group is the quality service expert in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Southern Palm Beach since 1975. Our professional air conditioning technicians, electricians, pipefitters, building automation specialists, and sales team provide fair prices for professional services to our customers.

11/09/2018

Alex J.

They were very punctual and very professional with their work, there was no problem and they performed it within the time they had projected without any problems. The job was very clean. we are very satisfied.

Description of Work
Commercial job - 60 circuit panel change for two different floors.

09/27/2018

Brian F.

Our Compressor died and we required a complete unit (current A/C 15 years old) Ron provided an estimate and immediately made us feel comfortable with his down to earth personality. We were time critical with travel plans in less than 48 hours. We were able to get approved financing with YGRENE. Ron had his crew at our house immediately and the work was complete before we left town, Amazing dedication. The installers Tyrone and Wilnick so professional and meticulous. They took time to explain and answer my questions. Clean up was spotless !! I very highly recommend Edd Helms.

Description of Work
New Central A/C

09/11/2018

bernard D.

Been with Edd Helms AC for 7 years now ...I always request my favorite Knowledgeable tech ... Mr Mike Stubbins... The Best Service AAAAAAAAA

Description of Work
My 2nd AC checkup from Value Club membership

12/09/2017

Sergei R.

I had used this company before for an installation of a Trane xl20i with TAM 8 handler in 2013. They did a great job then. Unfortunately now I had an issue with that unit where it was shutting off and giving an error message. I Alle’s and setup an appointment. Originally I had sent a service request a few days prior online but never heard back from them. I decided to call the company myself and was able to speak to someone and setup the appointment. The technician (Carl) was on time, professional, and polite. He even placed the shoe covers without me even asking for when he had to walk on the carpet. Upon diagnosis, it was found to be a leak in the evaporator coil and it needed to be replaced. On a side note, it’s disappointing for a 4 yr old AC to have a leak of this kind (but that more an issue of the brand). I was also told that the part was under the 10 yr warranty but that the labor was not covered. I was kind of shocked to hear that it would be about $1000 for labor, but upon research it was found that it was about market price for that. I also wanted them to service my other AC unit for standard maintenance since they were here already. For 2 units the maintenance agreement was around $300 and this gave me a 15% discount on labor... but the catch is that it’s only on 1 technician, and with the coil replacement it required 2 technicians (second labor cost not covered). The part was not available and needed to be found locally. It was scheduled 2 days later. They were prompt and good at communicating with me the time and cost that it would be to do all the services that I requested. They arrived on time and got to work right away. Overall I had a good experience with them and would use them again.

Description of Work
Replacement of Evaporator coil, purchase of maintenance service agreement for 2 AC units , replacement of shut off valve.

Category

11/07/2017

Andrew S.

Technician was on time, very knowledgable and went above and beyond what we expected. Price was fair for the work performed.

Description of Work
Fixed multiple lighting fixtures, installed new lighting fixture, fixed wired smoke detectors, replaced light switches, replaced sprinkler control box.

Category electrician, lighting

06/03/2017

victor S.

they were great, very honest, and professional

Description of Work
a/c maintenance

02/02/2017

Ambrose S.

I have used them for over 10 years. They are expensive, but in my book I don't consider price alone and I know that they company is very depending and have never had major problems with their work. They're reliable. The work took about thirty minutes. The technicians answered the questions I had.

Description of Work
I use them on a regular basis us. I am apart of their Value Club. I had my routine maintenance done.

12/10/2016

David A.

As well as could be expected. The electrician was friendly and educative

Description of Work
Outlet reassignment. Easy for an electrician, but a couple of tricky items for a medium skilled layperson

09/26/2016

Cathryn A.

Great! Very professional and spoke english.

Description of Work
Check an outlet

09/13/2016

Jill N. B.

Things went down hill from there. Yes they did the inspection and said our units pipes needed cleaning which they did. They also sold us a Value Club membership which was useless because their are all kinds or rules you have to follow for a service to be covered under it. Also that first visit was included in the two visits which wasn't explained to us. This company from top to bottom has zero customer service. So we had no problems for two weeks then of course the problem started again and we called them back. It was Labor Day and we came home to find the same drainage problem from before. We called Edd Helms they said they would get back to us in a couple of days but then a lady called saying someone was coming that day. Well even though we were calling them out for the same problem they still considered that our two second visit from our Value Club agreement. They technician came out did the exact thing is co worker did a couple of weeks ago but now they are blaming the pipes of our condo. We didn't know where the pipes were located so he blamed our problem on that and left. Well the next day we locate the pipes for our drainage and guess what the same drainage issue occurs again. We call Edd Helms and they say ok we'll send someone out. The failed to tell us there would be a charge this time. Were thinking listen we have followed everything but the same problem occurs why would you continue charging us but that's exactly what they did. The third visit started out the same but this time I had a condo grounds person meet the technician. The grounds person showed Edd's guy the pipes and he disagreed with him. Our unit stopped working about ten moments later and the Edd Helms guy restarted it. Well guess what now our unit is blowing out hot air. The Edd Helms guy said we have to find the condo pipes and he said he had another call to go on and he left after asking for a $95.00 for the call. He left us with the same problem and a new one the hot air blowing. My husband reached out to Edd Helm the next day and they didn't return our phone calls. I called again today and I had to deal with a very rude lady by the name of Marilyn and then a guy named Roger. They talked over me and didn't want to listen to everything I had to say. Marilyn even questioned my whereabouts over the weekend. I mean seriously I said I have a job as a flight attendant and we called your company Friday to report the same issue. The Roger guy called to argue with me and said we'll come out and service your unit again even though its not our fault. We decided we want a refund. I don't trust them to touch my unit again. Were out almost $300.00 dollars and we still have the same problem plus its worst because our unit is blowing out hot air. I'm hoping Angieslist can do something because this isn't the way things should happen.

Description of Work
We called this company out to service our a/c unit in mid August. They were going to do a full inspection of our unit and we were going to go from there. We had a drainage problem but didn't know what the problem was. The people we share pipes with wen't having problems.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

The original call came in to check the unit to make sure it was working. The customer did not say anything about having any slow draining or water leaking. They just requested to check the unit. On 08/19/16 we went out and checked the overall operations of the system. Checked the amperage, voltage, electrical components and filter. Vacuumed the drain line. At this time, there was no leak. On 09/05/16 (Labor Day) the customer called and said the unit was leaking water. As we have a 30 day warranty we went out and WAIVED our $150 afterhours service fee as the customer was already complaining that this is the same reason they called us before (even though this is not what was in the ticket comments from previous call). When we arrived the technician found that the unit was off on the safety float switch, meaning the unit is not draining properly. Technician vacuumed drain line and used nitrogen to try to flush out the drain outlet. The water is backing up in the main riser of the building. Informed the customer that the building will need to let us know where outlet of the drain line is as it is a common outlet for multiple units. On 09/08/16 customer called to say that their unit was leaking water. Technician went out and found the same time as on 09/05 – the customer did not contact the building as she said the neighbors are not having any issued. Technician found that the riser is still not allowing the unit to drain properly. Customer was charged $94 diagnostic fee as we had already informed the customer of what needs to be done to correct issue. On 09/13/16 Customer called again and the service manager approved a technician to go out if we could meet with the building maintenance at the same time to locate the drain outlet. Customer canceled and said they would just call Angie’[Member Information Removed] List.

08/20/2016

xiomara L.

I signed up for the Value Club Maintenance Program and Alain came out to service my AC unit. He thoroughly explained the work he was going to perform, answered all my questions and provided several suggestions to keep my AC running smoothly.

Description of Work
AC maintenance

05/02/2016

Edward W.

He wasn't able to solve the problem as it was electrical and I needed an electrician to handle the issue. Electrician came a few days later, replaced fuse and AC is working great again. After hours call resulted in 150 usd charge. Would use them again as they were very proactive in getting a tech out late on a Friday. I didn't have to manage the process of getting them onsite. They were prompt and professional.

Description of Work
Inspected AC unit and determined that voltage was too low at condenser unit. AC was blowing but no cold air.

02/01/2016

Constance T.

Very efficient, neat and clean. No unfamiliar charges. Very respectful and clear on what they were doing. We would highly recommend them to other.

Description of Work
Re-did duct work in November, have bought a new a/c unit in the past and periodically check that as well.

01/05/2016

RITA W.

They come out quarterly and they do an excellent job.

Description of Work
I have used them for at least 8 years and they replaced 1 of the units for me too.

09/27/2015

Michelle T.

I don't quite recall exactly how I found Edd Helms to begin with. Angie's List? Word of mouth? But I feel lucky to have found a reliable company to call on when my AC needs maintenance and/or repairs. They consistently show up at the time they promise. They have the equipment they need on the truck at the time of the call. They have a standard cost sheet that they will show you when making a quote, with labor included. They go right to work. And most importantly, the job is always done right.

Description of Work
Replaced capacitor and repaired leak in condenser

04/29/2015

Jill E.

He was able to repair the outlet and wiring and now everything is working fine and he also made it fit against the wall because before it wasn't fitting properly. He also explained everything that he was doing in detail so that I could understand as well.

Description of Work
I live in an older building and had an electrical outlet that was coming loose and there were some wiring issues. He came out to inspect it and repair what needed to be done.

Category electrician

Thank you for choosing Edd Helms Electric! We appreciate your business.

04/24/2015

Jack W.

Based on our history, Edd Helms is the firm you should choose if you want to pay premium prices for mediocre or even sub-par service. Following is our history. Edd Helms installed our current AC system in August 2009. It was installed in our garage and sits sideways in a drain pan. At the time of purchase, we stated and often re-iterated that the most important consideration was that the unit be quiet. The salesman noted the noise he could hear from the old unit and stated the unit we purchased would be almost inaudible. Yet we can hear the new unit running when we are on the other side of the house. We complained, a rep came out and proceeded to tell us that the reason was that our house had jalousie windows and contained too few furnishings (?), thereby creating an echo. If that were truly the reason, these facts were certainly apparent to the salesman at the time of sale. We were very disappointed but accepted it. On 10/09/12, our drain pan clogged and overflowed. And the safety cut-off did not work. The unit continued to run even while sitting in inches of water and we only noticed after the garage flooded. The tech found a loose wire and charged us $170 to fix it. We were then told that wires often work loose and that they can take no responsibility for such occurrences. In our opinion, this is about the worse thing can happen with an AC unit and, if Edd Helms knew that wires work loose, they should have taken special care that this particular wire was securely fastened at the time of installation. The firm did a routine maintenance check on 8/15/13. Yet, less than a year later, on 08/09/14 (a Saturday), our air conditioning malfunctioned. As a result, the unit ran constantly for a few hours but only put out warm air. We called the office for service and were upset by the response we received. The representative quoted a minimum fee of $150 for Saturday?s visit but could not give a quote if the visit were scheduled for Monday, when emergency rates did not apply. (She had no interest in finding out.) Plus, the representative required that we pay the $150 by credit card before she would even schedule the visit even though, in the past, we paid for all work by personal check. (We were later told that the reason for this was to ensure the service techs would be paid. Apparently, they don?t worry about payment when their techs work Mon-Fri.) It turned out the problem was very minor and basically required a ?reboot? of the system because of a power surge the prior day. But we were given no special consideration in price even though Edd Helmes installed our system and performed all routine maintenance since that time. On 10/6/14, the firm came out again to get rid of rattle in outdoor unit. This cost us $94. (This was the only visit in which we felt we were charged a reasonable fee.) On 01/14/15, less than five months after the 08/09/14 visit and only three months after the 10/06/14 visit, our air conditioning malfunctioned again and again only put out warm air. The tech did work on the outside unit and charged us an outrageous amount of $573 for what appeared to be a mere Freon leak. Yet he could not reassure us that he fixed the problem. He said the problem could be due to ?microscopic Freon leaks in the evaporator coil? and that we would only find out in May or June once we started running the AC constantly. Around October of the prior year, we noticed that one end of the inside unit (where the air returns to the unit) had separated from the rest of the system. The tech told us at that time that the reason it failed was that the unit was installed in the garage and humidity caused the separation. In our opinion, the real reason was that the unit was installed improperly. This end section extended into space with no other support than duct tape, and gravity did the rest. Had it been properly braced, it would never have moved. And with regard to humidity, the crew certainly knew where they were installing it and should have used something other than just duct tape to hold it together. (In contrast, our prior AC unit, installed in the same place and in the same manner for over 20 years, never failed.) After we made a few follow-up calls, the firm continued to take no responsibility for this installation error and finally quoted a price of about $600 for the repair. We contacted another AC firm in February 2015, who properly braced and repaired this section for a mere $60, 10% of Edd Helms quoted price! At this point we concluded our installation was only mediocre and that we were being grossly overcharged for maintenance of that mediocre system. Even though this unit is only a little over five years old, it is noisier than we wanted and requested, the overflow cut-off valve may not be reliable, it rattled, it has broken into almost two pieces, and it stopped working twice so far (and the problem may still not be resolved). The prices we paid or were quoted for repair appear to be excessive, nor are we given any special consideration for being long-time customers. There is no longer any benefit to us in considering Edd Helms as our AC provider. Aug 2015 -- Readers may be interested to learn that we have since obtained confirmation from two separate firms that there is a leak in the coil in the outside unit. Yet Edd Helms could not locate this problem in any of its last three visits, visits totaling $723 ($150 on 08/09/14 and $573 on 01/14/15.) I do not include the charge of $94 for the 10/06/14 visit. That $723 would have gone a long way towards paying for the labor of swapping out the coil. I reiterate that Edd Helms is the firm you should choose if you want to pay premium prices for mediocre or even sub-par service.

Description of Work
Many different things over the last few years.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Our records indicate that [Member Name] float switch (overflow cut-off valve) was not working 10/10/2012 due to a loose electrical connection – a very common problem. Normal vibration of the unit causes loosening of connections and no amount of extra tightening or ‘special care’ can prevent this. This visit was his first Value Club maintenance visit. We charge $170 for two (2) maintenance visits per year. Less than a year later, 8/15/2013 (Value Club maintenance visit missed in April due to customer cancellation), for his second Value Club maintenance - the system was checked, drain lines and pan flushed to ensure proper drainage – system running fine. Value Club, not renewed at that time. This is the only indication we have, according to our records, of the overflow cut-off valve not working; not because the float switch was bad, but because of an electrical connection. He mentions “it may not be reliable, it rattled, and has broken into almost two pieces, and has stopped working twice”. Unless he has had other companies out to look at this valve, we are unaware of any of these problems. This would be a good reason to continue with Value Club maintenance visits. Proper and regular maintenance is extremely important to keep every system in good working condition. In regards to this latest service call with us, please be aware that in accordance with his warranty, he was not charged for any parts, only for the 3 1/2 hours of labor ($573). Normal wear and tear occurs. We live in a harsh, salt-air environment here in South Florida. But, please know that there is a manufacturer’s warranty that this customer has until mid - 2019 for all parts, so if this unit has any problems, parts will be covered. Just to be clear, warranty does not cover existing components of the system: duct work, electrical, and/or drain lines; neither does it cover parts - not part of the Trane system - such as float-switches. No warranty work is performed during overtime, however, the customer has the option to pay the difference between regular and overtime hours in order to perform any warranty work. Please also know that we hire an answering service to handle our evening and weekend, incoming service phone calls. They do not have any access to our computer system nor our files and therefore cannot tell anyone any information regarding their history with us. Since our technicians are considered ‘on call’ for weekend emergencies (premium hours = premium rates), they will only book an appointment if the customer provides payment up front, $150 diagnostic fee. This way our technician is ensured that his time will be covered. This is our policy. It is unfortunate that his Saturday service call was only to turn the system on at the thermostat. In regards to his duct work in the garage, we quoted $600 as a proper solution to the humidity issues. If this quote seems high, please be aware that we hire only professionals and adhere to strict NADCA (National Air Duct Cleaners Association) standards when it comes to ductwork installation and repairs. We have received several letters from this customer and have responded to each one individually. It is unfortunate that we could not come to a mutual understanding and/or conclusion.

03/14/2015

Tracy S.

Horrible electrician came out went into attic was in there about 1 minute and came back out and told me that my entire house needed to be rewired. It is a 1961 house that has cloth wire but there are 3 wires with a ground and rubber covering. I had Mister Sparkey come out after and they fixed the wiring without any problems and said they could not believe I was told the entire house needed to be rewired. Will never use them again. He never assessed anything else inside or outside of house. Not thorough at all

Description of Work
Came out to assess damaged electrical wiring in attic

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

We have no record in our system of this visit. We see that this customer has called our Air Conditioning Service three times since 2011, but no record of her for our Electrical Service.

02/20/2015

William R.

Selected contractor for estimate because they had many Angie's List A ratings. Called them and was advised that, Joe Kelly, their estimator would call me right back. Waited eight days and then called them back. Person who answered said they "had been very busy and were still busy, then suggested would be best if I call back in a month." Told her I had found them on Angle's List and was disappointed by her attitude and would report same to other List members!

Description of Work
Wanted estimate for whole house electrical renovation

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Unfortunately, our electric service department had all hands on deck for the Miami Boat Show for several weeks and we were unable to provide an appointment for an estimate. We apologize for not following up with you and for any inconvenience this has caused you.

12/30/2014

James S.

The night before the July 4 holiday weekend, my central AC unit stopped providing cold air to my home. I called in an emergency to Ed Helms.

Description of Work
Their Service Tech arrived on time, quickly identified my air conditioning problem, and repaired it by replacing a capacitor that had blown out.

12/29/2014

Jacob R.

There was water leaking from the a/c unit and they identified the issues and fixed them. I was happy with the service, however, the report ended up in the property manager hands instead of mine and I feel if I pay for it, I should receive the report. The promised to get back to me about this but have not yet.

Description of Work
Fixed a water leak

11/10/2014

Adam W.

The tech was fantastic. He was very knowledgeable and worked quickly. The office had some issues with scheduling the second time he had to come out. I also had some issues with billing, as they would only take the discount off of the first service.

Description of Work
They came out and diagnosed the problem. They cleaned out my air conditioner. They came back to reinstall a circuit breaker.

11/10/2014

Daphne C.

They came a week later than originally scheduled. The work was done faster than expected once they got going. We were very happy with their techs.

Description of Work
Replaced the coils for our commercial air conditioner.

11/06/2014

Miriam M.

Placed call to Edd Helms group electrical. Was then transferred to apparently someone who would be able to help me. The individual I was transferred to couldn't help. She then proceeded to transfer me to another representative. I thought I would speak to someone live but was instead transferred to someones voice mail. Decided to call back. I was able to speak to the customer rep. I told her about the voice mail I was transferred to and she said that the individual that it belong to no longer worked with the company. After explaining to her what happened she said she would connect me to someone who could help. She then put me on hold, but I was placed on hold for far too long. Hence my disappointment. I'm not comfortable doing business with this company.

11/03/2014

Miriam M.

I didnt use the deal. Very poor communication. I was being passed around to different employee voicemails and was even left on hold.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for complete electrical inspection.