B&L General Contracting

Founded 2002 • With Angi since August 2010

2023 NW 9th Ave

Cape Coral, FL 33993

B&L Gerneral Contracting is a full service general contracting company that caters to individuals and businesses who seek professional, reliable, and affordable renovation and repair solutions as well as new construction of your home or business. We have been in business for 10 yrs and bring over 25yrs of experience with contracting. We are a State Certified General Contractor license #CGC1504407. We carry $1 million liability insurance. this covers and protects you from any injury or damage the might ever occur during the time we are working on you property. "We Take Care Of Your Home Like It Was Our Home". We offer free estimates for all your projects. no matter how big or small. I have been a resident in Lee County since 1967. I am here to serve our community and it's residents. As A Licensed GC I can perform any and all building and repair services there are no jobs to big or small....

02/11/2015

george S.

Description of Work
Did repairs to upper and lower lanais including structural work tile, aluminum |and vinyl siding. Unfortunately the last time I tried to contact them they never returned call, texts or e-mail. That is why I gave them a D for responsiveness.It's a shame too, because I had a couple of other projects I would have liked to let them tackle.

Category remodeling, replacement windows, home builders, home remodeling, doors

02/02/2015

Gary W.

We are 90% done so this review will be updated and further expanded on in a month. First and most important question - would I hire B&L again - Yes. I found them to be hard working, honest people. To me, this is most important point for a GC. Typically on a huge project, there is quality, price and timeliness. I hope to get at least one and two is great but either quality or price usually changes if you get something faster than possible. While we have had our ups and downs (if you build a house - you ALWAYS WILL!), overall, the project has gone pretty well (better than most of my friends who have quite a bit of horror stories). Bill is one of those unique individuals that I believe could build the house by himself - as his knowledge on every aspect is quite good. He is a worker and not a slick sales guy (which you will find MANY slick sales guys in the general contracting business.) His knowledge on costs and timing was excellent as he was one of the rare individuals who helped us get our costs more inline with what we needed - and he offered excellent variations that were a bit cheaper - that the other GC's really struggled with doing. I think most of the slicksters, just bid the job out and then hand it over to a job foreman without any real knowledge of the intricacies (I met many GC's that could not even give me basic pricing on things that I even had a decent understanding of). I will be submitting lots of other reviews on GCs during the bidding process. There was one I would give an A to other than B&L, and the others C or worst. So I am quite critical! So please take that into account when looking at my reviews (I don't give good grades for average work like I see so many people doing) We started the process about 19 months ago, as we hired our own draftsman (more reviews on other providers coming), then turned the plans over for bidding about 13 months ago. B&L's bid was not lowest or fastest but was the best for the knowledge; and the only other GC we liked was slightly higher. We then had massive trouble with our septic drawing and Cape Coral permitting (due to the drawings not being perfect)... Building started in June 2014. While we really wanted to be done prior to year end, I do believe the quality has been good. This was a custom 2 story house with concrete and framing (not the simplest of houses to build and thus I knew would take a tad longer). Many of the sub contractors were very good and went out their way to make things how we wanted. Bill seems to have really good trades guys working with him. Perhaps the downfall, is that Bill is very busy. He works everyday in the field as he oversees all his projects personally (instead of turning them over like the other GCs). This is nice but also not good for getting in contact at times (phone and email slugishness). If you need your hand held in a big contract like building a house, perhaps you would be better off with an "office" GC who is there to answer frantic phone calls, etc... If you want a GC that knows and builds - than B&L is a great choice. More updates as we finish up coming. Feel free to call me or email me - 239-257-4085 scromped@yahoo.com Gary Wilson

Description of Work
General Contracting to build house

03/11/2014

Nita P.

The work never got done. I called, emailed, texted and he kept saying that his plumber was on vacation and he had to wait until the plumber got back before he could get me an estimate. This went on for 4 weeks. I finally got an email from him (and I quote) and quot;still havent got my pricing back from the plumber hes on vacation. If you have a plumber he. Can due the job that you need done. It basically is all plumbing work Thanks billand quot; This man pretty much wasted 4 weeks of my time. Now nothing is done. If he couldn't do it, it would have been nice to find out sooner so I could make other arrangements.

Description of Work
I just bought a new house in Jan and wanted bathroom redo. I wasn't moving in until Mar so I wanted all of the work done before that. I work nights, so I wanted everything done before I moved in. I also needed the inside repainted and I wanted the work done before the painters came in. I called, set up an appointment with Bill and he came right out. I explained what I would like done, he measured the bathroom, and said that he would get back to me the following week with an estimate of cost and time. He never did.

11/12/2013

Charles C.

The Schmelzer's (Bob and Lillian) were great people to work with. Here is the breakdown: Original estimate was $6,000 final $6,489 due to some changes. Not so bad on extras. Original time to complete was 2 weeks.. took nearly 6 weeks to 2 months due to delays by the tile trades persons. But bathroom usable with only some tweaking left. Demolition day was great! They removed a walk in closet to expand the bathroom to add a walk in shower. Determination made as to exactly where and what size everything was to be made once we could see the empty footprint. Security system.. unexpected on our part, so we authorized them to cut the wires.. set it aside for it to be redone. Added attic access in the new closet area to fix it. In the end we had an additional security panel added and we re-wired it ourselves. Working perfectly. New closet placement.. and it is working out well. I asked for some additional work.. removal of popcorn ceiling in the bedroom. It looks fantastic! They even repainted the entire bedroom.. everything bedroom and master bath look great now. We did not think moving the new 72and quot; vanity with granite top was going to be easy. These workers must be on steroids or something! 300 pounds and they CARRIED it from garage to the bath all the way on other side of the house. Then they lifted it to put on the pedestal feet. Tradesman hired by contractor: SAVIOUR PLUMBING was fantastic. Quick, efficient, no down time.. hardly a lunch. They had to move a vent and replumb for reversed tub, extra sink and new shower. We requested a curbless shower and a linear drain. They were familiar with it and had done one before and we are pleased with the placement and installation. GARY JENKINS INC (Tile firm).. I would not rate them awfully high, but not bad. They delayed a lot and halted construction by over 2 weeks and had to come back to fix some small tiling errors. Tile job looks great now! The delays were quite annoying. WEST COAST GLASS.. did a fantastic job on cutting and installing the glass shower panels. Price wasn't really competitive but original part backed out. There is a small chip in the shower door. We decided to let it go and not replace it. Contractor and tradesmen were always prompt and advised us in advance of any changes in the schedule of work to be done. They left the site tidy at end of each day.

Description of Work
Expanded bathroom to include double sinks, adding pocket door, curbless walk-in shower with linear drain as well as relocating closet.

04/01/2013

Geraldine W.

Left several messsages. They never called me back to set anything up.

Description of Work
Left several messages. They never called me back to set anything up. Guess they're too busy.

Category decks, handyman service, home remodeling

01/18/2013

george S.

We knew we had a big problem when we went out on the lanai on the upper floor and noticed that the outside edge of the tile floor was three inches lower than the screen cage. My neighbor is a retired contractor and suggested I remove the ceiling on the lower lanai to see what was going on. There was substantial water damage to the lumber suopporting the upper deck. We then cut some holes under the lower lanai and sure enough there was damage there as well. We found Band L through Angies List and Bill Schmelzer came out to give us an estimate. We probably should have hired him right away but we were trying to see what legal options we had to recoup our losses from the original builder, Nease Inc. Ultimately our lawyer said that the quote that Band L gave us was probably less than we would have to spend to go to court. We contacted Band L again and they were able to get to us pretty quickly. Very professional and friendly staff. We have since requested a quote from Band L for interior painting and it is very reasonable. I would highly recommend Bill and his crew..

Description of Work
repaired damage to my house caused by faulty original construction. I have a two story house on top of stilts with screened lanais on both levels. The original builder, Nease, Inc.neglected to install drip edges on both levels and as a result water had been leaking into the wooden supports and joists under the tile. Seven years after the original construction the lumber had become so rotten that the upper floor collapsed. B&L gave us a very competitive price and repaired lumber, tile, screen, vinyl and drywall. The place looks better than new.

Category handyman service

11/15/2012

Judy L.

A relationship that developed from a cold-call in the summer of 2006 from Aurora Colorado developed into the beautiful home that I live in now in East Fort Myers. Having purchased a vacant lot, Bill dealt with EVERY aspect of estimating, developing and building my home. In addition, he (and his wonderful wife Lil) have become friends long after I had moved in. Probably the most rewarding experience for me was the fact that MOST of the planning and building of my home occurred while I was working in England. Try dealing with that and a 12-hour time difference. Bill got the job done and we coordinated almost entirely via email. I did have rotations back into the country and twice came down to pick out materials for my home. Bill had lined up all the suppliers and sent me off to pick out specifically what I wanted. I did, but you have to imagine, that even then - you are not there when the installation is being done. I had a great deal of anxiety about that, but was absolutely thrilled with the end result. So many design features were purely Bill's vision, especially the tiling in the master bath. Bill is very adept in interpreting what you want and guiding you in the process. I am still trying to find out how I can post some pictures with this review. They are stunning! Even though my house was a new build, I checked the above categories because you have to see the results. Whether new build OR remodel, his taste is impeccable and his manner friendly and professional. I highly recommend Band L General Contracting, Bill and Lil Schmelzer. They will treat you like family. P.S. My one and only complaint (and Bill knows it) was that Bill was constantly losing his phone, so was sometimes not as prompt returning calls or emails as I would have liked. Having said that, it doesn't mean that he wasn't moving forward or doing what you had asked him too. He just wasn't glued to his phone.

Description of Work
Bill Schmelzer built my "hurricane-resistant" Deltec home. I couldn't have gotten any luckier in picking my General Contractor. I called over 30 general contractors at the time, and Bill was one of only 2 who called me back.

03/26/2012

Pat P.

It went very well. They were done in a day and left everything clean and in order.

Description of Work
Built a "Captians walk" dock. 5X20

Category doors

01/05/2012

Steve R.

The owner is William Schmelzer. I had my own house build a few years back and I had three questions about my builder that I was going to use. Was the builder on time? was he within budget? would he build my next house? So when I had that house built that was the answer to all three of my questions. I applied the same principle against Band L contractors. They were on time, they were on budget and if I got another problem or if I want to do anything more with this house I am calling them first.

Description of Work
I used B&L General Contracting from August through to December. I spent all told $50000 on this house.

Category home builders

11/03/2011

Kathleen L.

See above

Description of Work
9/30/11 - We called B&L General Contracting because of his rating on Angie's List. We needed our front door replaced. I spoke with Mr. Schmelzer (Bill) early in the day and he arrived at our home the same evening. My husband and I explained what we needed. We also spoke of some other projects around our home. Bill was friendly and professional. He said he would get back to us with an estimate for our front door replacement. 11/3/11 - We still haven't heard from Bill.

Category doors

07/18/2011

Steve R.

Very well.

Description of Work
I bought a foreclosure home from Fanny Mae that had been gutted by the previous owner, and I mean gutted. They took all of the appliances, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, toilets, crown mouldings, even the garage door and the lanaii. I tried to buy the house as it was, but Fanny Mae insisted that they had to fix it up for the general public. Once I bought it, I hired B & L Contractors to gut it again (the work that Fanny Mae's carpenters did was CRAP). First order of business was new PGT windows, which were purchased from Suncoast Contractors supply in Fort Myers. New tile floors in the family room and kitchen laundry area. New cabinets, countertop and appliances. The cabinet maker was Chris Thomas of Chris' Cabinets of Cape Coral, another supplier worth noting. Chris also did two custom vanities for the bath rooms In between he added on a 10 x 14 foot office, complete with electric and air. The kitchen was piped for propane and I added a propane fireplace ib the living room, which Bill built out just as I wanted. He corrected various other problems, such as electrical and cabling. He had a lanaii erected via a sub contractor and the sub contractor placed a lien on my property becuase Bill wouldn't pay him. Well, Bill wouldn't pay him until the sub contractor paid for the building permit and had everything signed off for the Lanaii. So Bill was protecting me. I've had a few houses built and I have found that there are three questions you ask a reference about a builder. Was he on time, on budget and would he build you next house. My answers about B & L General contractors is Yes, Yes and Yes.

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, replacement windows, home builders, home remodeling, doors, sunrooms

Don's Painting Southwest FL LLC

Established in the mid-1990’s, with experience dating back to 1979, and a 2015-2018 Super Service Award winner, Don of Don’s Painting Southwest FL has been providing exceptional services for the Cape Coral area. WE DO NOT SERVICE NORTH FORT MEYERS. Don has been in the construction business for over 30 years, gaining knowledge and experience on many different types of home services. In 1995, Don decided to take his background in construction and open his own company, Don’s painting Southwest FL. Not only does Don provide quality work, but he provides great customer service—just read the reviews! Whether you need interior/exterior painting services, wallpaper removal, or drywall repair, to pressure washing, and anything in between, Don is the right man to do the job! Don doesn’t believe in travel charges, or service fees, and no job is too big or too small. FREE estimates and 10% off for Angie’s List members, please mention this ad when you call Don at 239-826-4086 to get started on your home service projects!

Offers by Don's Painting Southwest FL LLC on Angi
    C&H Service of SW Florida LLC

C&H Service of SW Florida LLC has been operating since 2015 providing an excellent quality service. We're owner operated and I am on site for all jobs. I like to make sure your job is done right and looks beautiful. Please call for a free estimate today!

Offers by C&H Service of SW Florida LLC on Angi
    GF PAINTING MULTI SERVICES

We have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! Specializing in Residential and Commercial Painting services, we guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Call or click to schedule a free estimate today!

CGC1504407
    LEE COUNTY
    STATE OF FLORIDA
    08/31/2020

Residential & Commercial New Construction, Kitchen & Bath Remodel, Renovations, Window & Door Replacement, Interior Trim, Interior & Exterior Painting, Drywall Repairs