5 Star Quality Construction

Founded 1997 • With Angi since January 2008

910 Valmar St

Brandon, FL 33511

In business since 1997, Craig (owner) focuses on every project and is a perfectionist. 5 Star Quality Construction makes sure that the job is done right and every client is fully satisfied. Craig is on every job. Free estimates. Florida State Licenses #CGC062592 and CCC1331012....

06/15/2021

Frank M.

We hired this company to help finish remodeling our house. Craig came to the house initially only one time and understood we only had a month before we had to move. He ordered our doors and trim then invoiced us and after we gave him our credit card he charged the card for more than the amount the invoice was for. The doors and trim were delivered and the trim was not the profile we ordered and several of the doors were the wrong hand. He refused to take the blame, even though the list his employee made was correct, and said my husband never told him what kind of trim to order (he has a text where he did) and that it would be weeks to get more doors. My husband found the doors in stock at the same supplier that Craig used and had them delivered within a week then had to rent a truck to go pick up the correct trim so we could get it finished before we had to move in. Craig refused to pick up the incorrectly ordered trim and doors and it's still sitting in our garage. I've had to file a dispute with my credit card company because he refused to refund the unauthorized amount that he charged and we had to pay someone else to install the doors and trim. His worker felt so bad, because he knew we had to finish, that he offered to work on the side to help us finish the trim and Craig found out and took money from him. He took our money, ordered the wrong items and left them in our garage, furnished no labor, which we paid him for, and he never came back to our house after we paid him. I hope this review will keep someone else from getting ripped off by this company.

Description of Work
Finish remodeling a house, doors and trim work

Category contractors, remodeling, woodworking, doors

I never did any work for this customer. This review should not be allowed. This is what the world is coming to when anyone can say lies about anyone and no one even bothers to see if its true. If you would like to get an true accurate representation of our company please read the hundreds of 5 star reviews we have.

12/18/2020

Roger T.

I'm a do it your self type on remodeling over the years, guest bathroom, kitchen, fireplace and more. When it came time to remodel my large master bath i decided to hire a contractor for the first time ever. 5 Star came in with the best bid which include items others had missed. Craig was on site almost daily and provided me constant scheduling updates as things progress. He has some great folks working with him, impressive with many of the skillsets, and now I have the entire neighborhood touring through my house looking at the finished product! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words

Description of Work
Remodel Master Bathroom

Category remodeling, home remodeling

10/18/2020

frank B.

The contractor and his subs failed to read the instructions on installing vinyl flooring. It cannot be installed over hardwood. This cost me an additional $5000 to get a new contractor to redo the work. This caused me many hours of disruption and delays. The contractor was rude and would not take responsibility for such.

Description of Work
flooring install

Category remodeling, home builders

Simply not true. As you can see from my many wonderful A+ Customer's reviews there are some customers you just can't please.

10/15/2020

John A.

Fascia and soffit repair/replacement

Description of Work
In the process of having our roof replaced, we removed our rain gutters to find quite a bit of fascia and soffit damage. I obtained a couple of estimates from other area contractors, and also obtained one from Craig. He came in the lowest, and after reading several reviews on his company, I decided to go with him. His crew (Jerry, Alec, and Tim) did a spectacular job, and Craig was on-site daily to be sure everything was going as planned. The guys were there bright and early every day, and cleaned up the area nicely when everything was completed. They were very personable as well. I will certainly be using them for other home projects.

Category siding

08/13/2020

Susan M.

5 Star Construction raised our ceiling and installed new cabinets along with stripping old wall paper and retexturing the dining room walls. They did an excellent job!

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel

Category home builders, home remodeling

08/13/2020

Susan M.

5 Star Construction remodeled our kitchen, raised our kitchen ceiling and stripped and retextured our dining area. They were punctual, professional and a special shout out to Jerry who made the cabinets fit the built in appliances! Great job and I now have a cabinet that functions as a pantry. They were very creative!

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel

Category home remodeling

07/29/2020

Tracy P.

I first met 5 Star after my husband passed away and I needed a handyman I could trust to do quality work. I met with several people and settled on 5-Star to do the work. I have been using them ever since. Many of the jobs I had asked them to do were small, but when I wanted to remodel my kitchen, i trusted them to tell me if I needed a larger construction company to do that work. They did it themselves and did SUCH great work, that I was even more impressed they had been kindly and willingly doing those smaller jobs without complaint. These guys are absolutely the best and professional all the way. Trust me when I say they can do any remodeling work - ANY! Their prices were more than fair and all the men working for them are of the highest integrity.

Description of Work
Kitchen remodeling

Category concrete repair, home builders, woodworking, home remodeling

01/07/2020

Heather K.

The company went above and beyond to help me find the window company that made the windows to find out that there was a recall. My window frames were fixed with no cost and it's all thanks to Five Star Quality Construction's help.

Description of Work
Window Frame repair

Category handyman service

11/26/2019

Christine W.

I am still in the middle of this job, but am so impressed so far I wanted to give a great review. Craig has been amazing, answering my many questions. His workers have done excellent work so far and have been extremely accommodating to all my requests and all with smiles on their faces. I highly recommend this company!

Description of Work
Drywall and painting

Category handyman service, remodeling, interior painters

10/16/2019

Ken P.

Highest praise for this roofing company. They were easy to work with, responded promptly, left the site in great condition and were easy to communicate with. They went far above our expectations and we would not hesitate to refer friends and family to this company should the need arise.

Description of Work
Roofing

10/01/2019

jason B.

We hired 5 Star to remove the old flooring, install new tile, kitchen cabinets, remove wallpaper, and paint inside. The tile contractor ordered too little tile for the job TWICE, leaving us waiting nearly a month for the floors to be done. There are also uneven tiles everywhere, missing grout, and at least one hollow tile. The painters did remove all the wallpaper, but did a terrible job matching the wall texture. It is blatantly obvious where they re-textured and looks really bad. They put such a thin coat of paint on the walls that if you barely brush it, you take off the paint. The price we paid was not any less than other quotes we received so we were disappointed in the quality of work. We would not hire them again.

Description of Work
Kitchen cabinets, tile, wallpaper removal, paint

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

This is a very confusing review. First of all they said they would not hire us again and they have already hired us two (2) times for other projects and never once mentioned a word about any of this. After reading the review I very nicely called them and practically begged them to go to their house and fix any issues they may have had. Unbelievebly they declined to give us the opportunity to correct the issues. This job was completed June 16, 2019. It is now October 3rd and were just hearing about this? The customer called me to tell me one of the drawers did not slide out in new kitchen cabinets (which they got a $1,000 discount on) and we fixed the drawer immediately. So why would they not call if they had any other issues????

10/01/2019

Pat Q.

Great! Responded right away and completed the project quickly.

Description of Work
Chair rail replaced

Category remodeling, woodworking

08/23/2019

Amy C L.

5-Star responded immediately to fix a leaking roof. They came out and repaired my roof same day. I've used 5-Star on several projects. Craig and his team are always professional, on budget and on time. Great quality work!

Description of Work
Roof Repair

Category remodeling, roofing

08/16/2019

Christopher B.

These guys are true professionals, they know their stuff and they were great about keeping me informed with the process! I will definitely use them again!

Description of Work
Installation of decorative trim

08/15/2019

Amanda W.

Extremely good quality, punctual, great price!

Description of Work
Drywall work, plumbing, door repair, Painting.

Category drywall, remodeling, interior painters

04/20/2019

Carolyn E.

I called and sent email before owner called back. Made an appointment. He never showed and never called.

Description of Work
Replacing cedar boards on side of home.

Category remodeling, woodworking

First call received was on April 15 at 12:45 p.m. I returned her call on April 16th and requested the customer to forward me her address for scheduling as I was driving at the time. Never received a follow up with her address. Now it is April 22nd and we got a bad review instead!!

01/25/2019

Thomas R.

We were getting our house ready to put on the market and there was some stuff I just could not do. I found 5 Star and the owner, Craig, came out and we talked about options. He gave great advice. Now - he subs out the work - but he watches them. And backs up their work. I had orange peel ceiling on lanai, facia repair, gutters, and painting done. I honestly liked some subs better than the others, but in the couple of instances where it was not done to A level (say B or C), Craig came out and made it right. There was even one thing that I did not know if it was their issue, but he said it was, sent the sub back out, and they did it right. He listened, gave me good prices, and on top of it - was a super guy. And gave me other tips. I highly recommend Craig. Heck - I tried to use of of his subs on my own at my new house and the guy was an idiot - but Craig made it work perfect. So hire Craig. He'll get it done, done right at a good price, and makes sure you are happy. Highly recommend 5 Star.

Description of Work
Facia, gutters, painting eaves, and drywall ceiling repair

Category handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, house painters

Thank you and it was a pleasure working with you. Looking forward to our fishing trip and catching the big ones!! Craig

01/10/2019

Yvonne L.

Bad!! The gutter is still overflowing and because of that the wood around the doors are rotting and I will have to replace them. I called him back at the time, this happened last year, he came and looked, didn't even go on the roof to see why it still was overflowing. He said something about gutter repair, and a gutter repair man that he knows but was too busy, didn't know where he was now; and with that he left and I never saw him again.He had already cashed the check for $1980.00 for the repair. A few days before he had given me an estmate for some other repairs to be done. Never heard from him again.

Description of Work
Repair of Soffit/gutter overflowing when it rains.

Category gutter repair

This review is for work that was not performed by 5 Star. The invoice we were paid $1980 on was for a roof and soffit repair only. When the work was complete, I explained to the Customer there was a problem with her pool gutter and that I did not have any one that does that kind of work. I tried to send an email to the Customer explaining this to her but have not received a response. This same Customer gave me an "A" review for other work we did for her earlier in the year, indicating she would not hesitate to recommend my company and would hire 5 Star again. Please see all the other "A" reviews we have for an accurate review of our company.

12/24/2018

Jim D.

Everything was done quickly and professionally.

Description of Work
New roof and exterior painting

Category remodeling, roofing, house painters

08/23/2018

Ear B.

Avoid this company and owner at every cost. Called and spoke to owner Craig Mingle same day. Describe the job I was interested in having done. Asked if i could send pictures so he could give me a quote by looking at pictures only. I advised Craig that I was not comfortable with that arrangement. He then requested me to text him my my personal information so he could arrange a visit to look at job and give me a quote. I never hear back from him for a week now. PS: COMPANIES AND PEOPLE LIKE THESE WILL TARNISHED THE REPUTATION OF REFERRAL SERVICES SUCH AS ANGIE'S LIST. unreliable, unprofessional and no class. BE AWARE!

Description of Work
Carpentry work for an outside ceiling

Category contractors

This has gotten to the point where it's just ridiculous! Anybody can say anything they want about anybody and it doesn't even matter if it's true or not because nobody follows up to check the facts. I would have loved to give this customer an estimate for his repair work but I never received a text message or any sort of contact information from this customer which made it virtually impossible. This is obviously an attempt from one of my competitors to discredit my company. if you would like an accurate depiction of my company please read the many other great reviews that we have. Thank you.

06/02/2018

Sherena W.

I would like to start out by saying that I had been looking for a Reputable Stucco Repair company for 2 months. I contacted over 7 companies, some were selected off of Angie's List, but I want mention any names. Once I reached out to the companies they would either be a no show or never follow through with providing an estimate. I wanted service done right the FIRST time so I knew Angie's List was the place to come to for reputable companies. I had not chosen any companies from the Brandon, FL area, so I decided to take a look and read the reviews for 5 Star Quality Construction. I contacted the company and spoke with Craig and less than 2 days I had an ESTIMATE. When you have waited 2 months from previous companies to respond, I greatly appreciated the prompt reply. I knew immediately that I would choose 5 Star Quality Construction to do the Stucco Repair, Drywall Repair and Painting of The Entire Home. Craig was my point of contact and he made sure to keep me aware of every step of the project in advance. EVERY AND I WANT TO SAY EVERY MEMBER OF Craig's Team did an AMAZING JOB AND THEY WERE SO NICE AND PROFESSIONAL. My home was painted a new color and it looks Phenomenal!!!!! I would DEFINITELY recommend 5 Star Quality Construction for your home or business needs.

Description of Work
Stucco Repair, Drywall Repair and Painting of The Entire Home

Category drywall, stucco, house painters, interior painters

04/05/2018

Martin M.

Very well. Craig came to survey the work to be done, and sent me a quote within two days. We scheduled the project, and he and his crew arrived on time. The crew was friendly, responsive to requests, and conscientious about keeping the work area clean. The job was scheduled to last 1/2 a day, and they were gone by 12:30. The only evidence they were ever there was the new chimney frame. I would not hesitate to hire them again, or recommend them.

Description of Work
Replace old wood frame on the fireplace chimney with hardie board. And paint it to match the existing panels.

Category contractors, house painters

01/28/2018

Cecilia B.

Craig and his team did an excellent job. Even when the installation was not inexpensive, the result was impressive. I would call this company again if I need their services.

Description of Work
grab bars installation in bathroom shower

Category handyman service

01/16/2018

Yvonne L.

Very good. Craig is professional. He called to make an appointment. He was on time for the appointment paid attention to what needed to be done. He & his crew know what they are doing.The job was done in a professional way. My patio has never looked better. I would not hesitate to recommend him and would hire him again.

Description of Work
Wood rot repair in several places

01/12/2018

Sandra M.

Owner of the company got my email wrong when sending me quotes of all the work that had to be done at my house. Because I also work a lot and because of Irma, I called him back months later to find out why he had not sent me quotes. That's when I found out he had my email wrong. Still before the expiration date of my coupon I tried to set up a time for him to do the 4 hours of work. He informed me that I should have called sooner and that he was too busy with Irma jobs to do my 4 hours of work. I informed Angie's list and I was able to get him out to do thejob. The work was shoddy and unprofessional. Uneven repairs made in front door jam and messy wood putty. If you let them do more work than you initially pay for, then I guess they might do a better job.

Description of Work
4 hours of wood rot replacement

Category woodworking

We work diligently to provide quality work to all our customers. Unfortunately we were not able to please this customer. Please read our other reviews to get an accurate representation of our company.